Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
Thinking of the Alcantra issues - I would definitely put bike tape around the Elite for PS4's rim . And making the rim thicker and wider would simply make it much more like that Porsche rim IMO. And selling the rim with the tap removed - it will be as new.

But doing that would only really be a consideration if you were expecting to frequently handle the alcantara parts of the wheel wouldn't it? For example, I'm on the cusp of getting the PS4 wheelbase and either the PS4 or Elite wheel. But all this talk about the alcantara finishes is putting me off getting the Elite wheel and maybe just getting the PS4 one. But I'm just driving touring cars and for 90% of the time, my hands would remain at quarter to three. It would only be if I had to do a serious "save" (i.e hit in the backside when cornering) or had a very tight turn (i.e at the back end of Macau) where I'd be shifting my grip. So I would expect very little to no real visible wear on a PS4 wheel used in this way.

As for the more expensive wheels, I might have considered them if it weren't for the additional weight. My instinctive feeling (maybe flawed) is that if I were going to the premium and heavier wheels with larger diameters, I'd be wanting to go to the Clubsport 2.5 as a minimum and maybe even the new direct drive ones.

But doing that would only really be a consideration if you were expecting to frequently handle the alcantara parts of the wheel wouldn't it? For example, I'm on the cusp of getting the PS4 wheelbase and either the PS4 or Elite wheel. But all this talk about the alcantara finishes is putting me off getting the Elite wheel and maybe just getting the PS4 one. But I'm just driving touring cars and for 90% of the time, my hands would remain at quarter to three. It would only be if I had to do a serious "save" (i.e hit in the backside when cornering) or had a very tight turn (i.e at the back end of Macau) where I'd be shifting my grip. So I would expect very little to no real visible wear on a PS4 wheel used in this way.

As for the more expensive wheels, I might have considered them if it weren't for the additional weight. My instinctive feeling (maybe flawed) is that if I were going to the premium and heavier wheels with larger diameters, I'd be wanting to go to the Clubsport 2.5 as a minimum and maybe even the new direct drive ones.
Dunno, what you saw from the posts for the rims alcantara - for me the P1 Elite rim is much much better and feels better than the PS4 official rim!:)

Dunno, what you saw from the posts for the rims alcantara - for me the P1 Elite rim is much much better and feels better than the PS4 official rim!:)

It was some of the posts on the previous page (page 62). That said, it has been pointed out the Elite alcantara is at least as good as the alcantara on my previous 911 GT3 wheel - and the worst thing that happened to that on my wheel was it getting a bit smoother at quarter to three after several years of racing two or three days per week.

But I'm also tossing up getting the CSW2.5 with the BMW rim. Trying to work out if the extra dollars are worth it. What I like about the BMW rim is the release mechanism and the adjustable paddle positions. I'm a real OCD person when it comes to getting the ergonomics as perfect as possible and I think the BMW combination might have it over the Elite wheel in that respect.

Rev lights are now fully supported. That's the only change I've noticed with my wheel.

And what about for this: "- The frequency and strength of the force feedback vibration when the steering is turned too far have been adjusted." ?????????

I have to do more tests for this, not even noticed that the wheel was shaking too much when we turn too far previously. Maybe due to my wheel settings + my driving style which is pretty smooth.

I have to do more tests for this, not even noticed that the wheel was shaking too much when we turn too far previously. Maybe due to my wheel settings + my driving style which is pretty smooth.

I think they mean the "under steering rattling effect" that everyone one was speaking about some months ago...

Actually they are talking about when turning your wheel to far in corner the csl would shake pretty bad to simulate tire skid but honestly the ones suffering from it are bad drivers like my self . To test you have to take a corner normally but at apex keep turning the wheel as far as you can because that’s what noobs like me do to correct understeer lol

Actually they are talking about when turning your wheel to far in corner the csl would shake pretty bad to simulate tire skid but honestly the ones suffering from it are bad drivers like my self . To test you have to take a corner normally but at apex keep turning the wheel as far as you can because that’s what noobs like me do to correct understeer lol

This is completely correct haha. Im glad someone finally said it. :)

To be fair though, they did tone this down to a more appropriate amount in 1.28. To me 1.28 feels the best any Gran Turismo game has ever felt. Absolutely love the way the CSL Elite feels in GT Sport now and great to have the rev lights working as expected. Extremely happy with GT Sport and my wheel setup.

I really think they have dialed in their tire model extremely well now. When you spin and do a quick 1st gear u-turn it is much much easier now and close to reality than it has been.

For those interested. the Clubsport e-brake also seems to work fine now. GT Sport still treats the e-brake like an off/on switch but it does work well in rally modes and various other situations.

And what about for this: "- The frequency and strength of the force feedback vibration when the steering is turned too far have been adjusted." ?????????

Yeah as mentioned they have dialed back this effect a bit. I honestly rarely ever experienced this running at pretty high FFB, but it is a bit more natural now. If you are experiencing this very often you are definitely not driving correctly. The only time I ever really experience it is when doing a weird drift transition, which is actually very accurate to what you will often feel in real life. It is replicating the effect of the tire sidewall shuddering as it is scrubbed massively.

How’s everyone finding the changes after latest gts update?

Absolutely love it! Best GT Sport or any Gran Turismo has ever felt in my opinion. Driving the NSX-R is an absolute joy. And driving the Amuse GT1 S2000 feels perfect to me. I drive a baby Amuse S2000 on a daily basis and GT Sports Amuse S2000 is the best an S2000 has felt in any Gran Turismo game. If I could just convince PD to add the Amuse R1 S2000 now and my car will be in the game....

Absolutely love it! Best GT Sport or any Gran Turismo has ever felt in my opinion. Driving the NSX-R is an absolute joy. And driving the Amuse GT1 S2000 feels perfect to me. I drive a baby Amuse S2000 on a daily basis and GT Sports Amuse S2000 is the best an S2000 has felt in any Gran Turismo game. If I could just convince PD to add the Amuse R1 S2000 now and my car will be in the game....

I know that is feels good, and things now are way better on GTS with the Elite PS4, and the FFB and overall is great!!.. but I must say this:

- I´ve been also using the Assetto Corsa Competizione (PC only) Early Release (it ´s like in beta stage with only one car: Lambo Huracan GT3 and one track: Nurb..) and.. man!!!!!!.. it´s simply amazing the feeling of everything of it... phisics, road, sound, FFB, tyres.. and with my new V3 Sport Pedals... it´s out of this world, man!! :) Nothing you may find in any other simulator!!! The main problem is.. that it will only run ok on a laptop priced above 1000$ , and later on the development, when VR will be set to work... probably only on a 1200$ (or more expensive) PC ..

Absolutely love it! Best GT Sport or any Gran Turismo has ever felt in my opinion.
This is not intended as personal assault at least not the worst kind, but you've never had anything bad to say about the GTS's Fanatec compatibility... You literally praised the compatibility in Fanatec forums in the very first hours after blue mode was released, altough how broken it really was! Since then you've had the same super optimistic attitude after every update.

Question for those superior drivers who claim they never experience the rattle: When exactly does the understeer effect kick in? ...At the point when the tyres are about to loose traction or when completely lost?

Last edited:
This is not intended as personal assault at least not the worst kind, but you've never had anything bad to say about the GTS's Fanatec compatibility... You literally praised the compatibility in Fanatec forums in the very first hours after blue mode was released, altough how broken it really was! Since then you've had the same super optimistic attitude after every update.

Question for those superior drivers who claim they never experience the rattle: When exactly does the understeer effect kick in? ...At the point when the tyres are about to loose traction or when completely lost?

Fanboys will be fanboys. Some people need to justify their purchase. I have not tried the CSL-e with GTsport, but i can say I experienced it with my wheel from day 1. It seems to me the effect was absent in compatibility mode and added in the "blue" mode and a lot of people started complaining about this. To me it looks to me like people are complaining about a feature that was absent, but should have been there from the beginning or am I wrong? Any people who tried both TM and Fanatec?

To me it looks to me like people are complaining about a feature that was absent, but should have been there from the beginning or am I wrong? Any people who tried both TM and Fanatec?
The effect is overly pronounced now, just a mild loss of traction give stronger forces than driving over a set of curbs in Assetto Corsa with a open wheeler. It's still there on purple mode, but it's subtle detail like i believe it's meant to be. Never felt it with my T150 altough it could never produce such heavy forces. I understood that T500 users had violent shaking during the beta? <-Could be similiar, i don't know.
Just to be clear, i don't blame Fanatec for this... The ball is on PD's side now, and it seems that they can't use even half of what the CSL Elite can offer. (T-GT conspiracy)

Last edited:
The effect is overly pronounced now, just a mild loss of traction give stronger forces than driving over a set of curbs in Assetto Corsa with a open wheeler. It's still there on purple mode, but it subtle detail like i believe it's meant to be. Never felt it with my T150 altough it could never produce such heavy forces. I understood that T500 users had violent shaking during the beta? <-Could be similiar, i don't know.

On my wheel I have experienced quite some shaking from the beginning when understeer. Would like to find out if someone wants to send me a Csl-e to try out:lol:

On my wheel I have experienced quite some shaking from the beginning when understeer. Would like to find out if someone wants to send me a Csl-e to try out:lol:

Such intense shaking is due to uncorrect settings... mainly... and will be felt mainly by those that like to feel their wheels like... driving an 18 wheeler...

On my wheel I have experienced quite some shaking from the beginning when understeer.
Hard to get the idea and even harder to explain. Do you mean shaking in how wide steering angle...? Long fast corner for example if you hold the wheel still and slowly ease off the grip, does it shake in that position with few degree play area or does it instantly snap anywhere from let's say inside 90° range? Sometimes it locks to that single position for a while or snap to opposite direction or push the wheel further. (Sure it's normal to snap back to center position by itself, but that's not the case)

^To M_M's comment above, the thing is that the less force feedback you have, the stronger the effect is, at least how it feels when it kicks in.

Hard to get the idea and even harder to explain. Do you mean shaking in how wide steering angle...? Long fast corner for example if you hold the wheel still and slowly ease off the grip, does it shake in that position with few degree play area or does it instantly snap anywhere from let's say inside 90° range? Sometimes it locks to that single position for a while or snap to oppisite direction or push the wheel further.

I was referring to shaking under understeer where the front tires under load are losing grip.

I would strongly recommend you to buy CSL Elite PS4, you will not regret.:)

I am very happy with my current setup. I actually prefer the TH8A and TSS handbrake to the fanatec ones. I also like the plug and playability and T-dfb feature with GT sport. The CSL pedals are very underrated in my opinion though. But that can change with the new Podium series. Although I would need to buy a new house to get it. And that would be a lot more expensive then just buying the Podium.

Hard to get the idea and even harder to explain. Do you mean shaking in how wide steering angle...? Long fast corner for example if you hold the wheel still and slowly ease off the grip, does it shake in that position with few degree play area or does it instantly snap anywhere from let's say inside 90° range? Sometimes it locks to that single position for a while or snap to opposite direction or push the wheel further. (Sure it's normal to snap back to center position by itself, but that's not the case)

^To M_M's comment above, the thing is that the less force feedback you have, the stronger the effect is, at least how it feels when it kicks in.

No it isnt...

ABS in real life when breaking on a slippery road.
I've only felt that in brake pedal, but since i don't have any real life circuit experienced I'd expect that to be rather strong but in short steering angle... (?) In Assetto i can feel a lot during fast corners and it can quickly get exhausting, but the forces are constant and remain in that short angle, meaning there's no sudden strong forces instantly snapping the wheel to opposite direction if i accidently give too much throttle. Actually such force in AC would simulate heavy suspension damage, or driving over a set of box kerbs multiple times.
--
So it's now clear that the understeer rattle occurs when front tyres are about to loose grip, so how is it possible that you 'superior' drivers drive on the limit without experiencing the rattle? It's silly to say that someone is driving wrong if he's actually close to the limit... That's just blind denying.

Last edited:
I've only felt that in brake pedal, but since i don't have any real life circuit experienced I'd expect that to be rather strong but in short steering angle... (?) In Assetto i can feel a lot during fast corners and it can quickly get exhausting, but the forces are constant and remain in that dhort angle, meaning there's no sudden strong forces instantly snapping the wheel to opposite direction if i accidently give too much throttle. Actually such force in AC would simulate heavy suspension damage.

So it's now clear that the understeer rattle occurs when front tyres are about to loose grip, so how is it possible that you 'superior' drivers drive in the limit without experiencing the rattle? It's silly to say that someone is driving wrong if he's actually close to the limit... That's just blind denying.

I am not a very good driver by all means, but for me preventing the understeer effect in Gtsport is a good way to find a more efficient racing line. Or it is a way to change your setup to your own driving style.

Although I would need to buy a new house to get it.
This is what i'm doing ahah :lol:
Almost over, I should live in by the end of november :)
42408761_263856320907333_2058267101268803584_n.jpg

Back