Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Maybe someone did not see but auctions are starting soon
Banner-Website-EU-und-US-1000x411.jpg

Do I understand the auctions correct? You can bid multiple times, if the price reaches full price the system ends the auction (can’t pay more than full), and you are upgraded for free from the DD1 to the DD2?

Well you are upgraded to the DD2 motor but it does not have the same performance as the DD2 - but honestly IMO it'll be more than enough force feedback detail.

I'm excited about the auctions but honestly I doubt they will offer substantial savings off MSRP.

@DomB_Fanatec Will the DD1s be ready to ship on 12/7?

and dd1 pre-orders also dd2motor inside?
This was published on September 6 by @DomB_Fanatec :

"The recent responses I've made in this thread remain accurate to the current status. The auctions are still planned to go ahead, but I have no further information to offer regarding dates at this time. The DD1 motor status has also not changed. If the motor were to change specification, we would make this clear. Right now, the standard pre-order units, auction units, and Podium Racing Wheel units are all set to launch with the DD2 motor."

Link

Thanks:) Sounds good, somehow i like that there is a stronger motor inside. I would ever prefer a strong engine with limited power over a engine what works on limit to reach same power.

Does anyone know what the performance is of the DD2 motor in the DD1 setup? Is this something you can upgrade down the road to full DD2? Not that it sounds worse betting the better motor, just wondering if it will be a noticeable change or not.

Higher holding and peak torque. Kill switch, standard 5yr warranty and carbon panels (cosmetic).

From all information releases, no you cannot upgrade DD1 to a DD2 level of power.

I’m not saying it right. On the auction version it sounds like DD1 brains with a DD2 motor put in the DD1 case. Are the electronics of the DD1 a limiting step so that you don’t get the better performance of the DD2 motor or is there overhead on the DD1 electronics that will bring extra performance out of the upgraded motor (in the DD1 case)?

Real question is - do DD bases have compatability modes like CSL? Then we could expect instant drivehub support for DD1 and DD2. Only dilema I have is - nowdays I mostly play on ps4 but that might change and buying DD1/DDps4 might give me buyers regrets later on for not buying DD2

Gee, why even bother with an auction? Just put the thing out for 999
The option to pre-order for a standard price is right there on the product page, the auction is just an interesting opportunity to try to secure a lower pre-order price. Naturally we aren't able to control the bidding tendencies of the participants. In the end, 60 units ended below MSRP, 30 of which ended below $970. On another day, the lowest value might have been different.

Don’t act like Fanatec doesn’t control sales/discounts. I don’t see much to brag about giving 30 people a 3-5% discount and another 30 a 0-3% discount. It’s just not impressive. It also doesn’t appear to be needed to sell units but the auctions from Fanatec have been absolute disasters for me the last two years. In fact so bad that last year the frustration pushed me to buy a TS-PC and this year is pushing me to AccuForce. You can think people love these, maybe the rest do. But it’s lost me as a customer twice now.

Don’t act like Fanatec doesn’t control sales/discounts. I don’t see much to brag about giving 30 people a 3-5% discount and another 30 a 0-3% discount. It’s just not impressive. It also doesn’t appear to be needed to sell units but the auctions from Fanatec have been absolute disasters for me the last two years. In fact so bad that last year the frustration pushed me to buy a TS-PC and this year is pushing me to AccuForce. You can think people love these, maybe the rest do. But it’s lost me as a customer twice now.
I'm sorry you feel that way Benzy2, but I honestly don't understand what you mean. The auction system is organic, we have literally no control over how people are bidding, and there is no reserve on the units. If one person clicks and nobody else does, the unit goes for $1. Indeed we had some technical difficulties in the first Australian auction where a couple of units did indeed end at 1AUD, and these wins were honoured. In this evening's auction in Europe, we will keep running until 45 units end below 970€. It is entirely possible that some of these units end at much lower values; that is in the hands of the bidding public. You don't have to participate in the auction if you don't agree with it. The MSRP for the DD1 is already very competitive.

I'm sorry you feel that way Benzy2, but I honestly don't understand what you mean. The auction system is organic, we have literally no control over how people are bidding, and there is no reserve on the units. If one person clicks and nobody else does, the unit goes for $1. Indeed we had some technical difficulties in the first Australian auction where a couple of units did indeed end at 1AUD, and these wins were honoured. In this evening's auction in Europe, we will keep running until 45 units end below 970€. It is entirely possible that some of these units end at much lower values; that is in the hands of the bidding public. You don't have to participate in the auction if you don't agree with it. The MSRP for the DD1 is already very competitive.

I am really curious about the decision to hold these auctions from a business standpoint. What benefit is there for the company?

The fact you don’t get it is what scares me away from Fanatec. Last year’s auction was horrific. Between connection issues and the entire 1 bid thing it was terrible. Half way through the rules changed and the system didn’t register the same. It was frustrating.

This year, the auction wheel has an upgraded motor. But we can’t get info on if the motor upgrade is just the servo motor or the electronics too. We don’t know if the upgrade is limited by the DD1 electronics or not. We can’t get a straight answer on delivery times (which I get but it’s frustrating). I had connection issues for the first 15 auctions, half I could see but not bid, the other half it wouldn’t even let me in. And it wasn’t my internet as every other site worked. Multiple times through the auction the past auction list reset/disappeared.

I don’t mind that people didn’t get a high demand item for a huge savings. It’s high demand. But it wasn’t like the auction, outside of as you said 2 units with technical issues, had any savings of any significance. If you’re bragging about a 2-5% discount I think you miss what is bray worthy.

It can just be me. I certainly don’t speak for the crowd. But all of the holiday hype has been a disappointment the last two years. And for that I’m going to a company that isn’t a disappointment, last year was Thrustmaster and this year is for an AccuForce. At least with them everything is up front. I’ll take up front over half info and a half baked hype system.

You are right that I don’t have to participate in the auction system and honestly I won’t do it again. I won’t be buying any Fanatec items other than potentially a shifter second hand. Your system, which may work well for plenty of others, is frustrating to me and drove me away from the CSL package last year and has drove me away from the Podium this year. It’s how everything is handled that is frustrating. And the fact you don’t see it as frustrating is possibly the most frustrating part.

I am really curious about the decision to hold these auctions from a business standpoint. What benefit is there for the company?
I am not able to discuss this unfortunately.

The fact you don’t get it is what scares me away from Fanatec. Last year’s auction was horrific. Between connection issues and the entire 1 bid thing it was terrible. Half way through the rules changed and the system didn’t register the same. It was frustrating.
Last year's auction is completely unrelated to the DD1 auctions. They are running a different system and are hosted on different servers.

This year, the auction wheel has an upgraded motor. But we can’t get info on if the motor upgrade is just the servo motor or the electronics too. We don’t know if the upgrade is limited by the DD1 electronics or not.
It's not just the auction bases, it's all pre-orders of the DD1. It has been stated several times that the DD1 (and Podium Racing Wheel for PS4) is using a DD2 spec motor, running at lower performance. This is electronically limited. It is difficult to go into the specifics about the hardware as the servo and electronics are integrated and there is proprietary technology in place.

We can’t get a straight answer on delivery times (which I get but it’s frustrating).
The latest information about Podium availability was recently posted on our blog. This is still the most recent information I have, I'm sorry I can't give you anything else.

I had connection issues for the first 15 auctions, half I could see but not bid, the other half it wouldn’t even let me in. And it wasn’t my internet as every other site worked.
I'm sorry to hear that, but according to our logs, this did not seem to affect many people. The site was stable throughout.

Multiple times through the auction the past auction list reset/disappeared.
This is because the auction units were run in batches of 50, and we had to continue to list new batches (which reset the past auction list) as we would not stop until 30 units ended below $970.

I don’t mind that people didn’t get a high demand item for a huge savings. It’s high demand. But it wasn’t like the auction, outside of as you said 2 units with technical issues, had any savings of any significance. If you’re bragging about a 2-5% discount I think you miss what is bray worthy.
I am not 'bragging' about anything. I am providing the numbers to demonstrate that we delivered on what was advertised.

It can just be me. I certainly don’t speak for the crowd. But all of the holiday hype has been a disappointment the last two years. And for that I’m going to a company that isn’t a disappointment, last year was Thrustmaster and this year is for an AccuForce. At least with them everything is up front. I’ll take up front over half info and a half baked hype system.
I respect your decision, and I appreciate your feedback. In our case it is difficult to provide all the information you might be looking for because the product is not yet released.

You are right that I don’t have to participate in the auction system and honestly I won’t do it again. I won’t be buying any Fanatec items other than potentially a shifter second hand. Your system, which may work well for plenty of others, is frustrating to me and drove me away from the CSL package last year and has drove me away from the Podium this year. It’s how everything is handled that is frustrating. And the fact you don’t see it as frustrating is possibly the most frustrating part.
I can indeed understand your frustration, but I can only pass on the information that is available to me.

Everyone good luck with the auction. Based on the host errors, badgateway 502 etc it seems that it is already very busy on the Fanatec.com/eu-en page

Keep trying :scared: and then you're in the auction landing page.

Edit: huh? 18:59 countdown timer changed to: auction closed
Apperently the auction has been delayed with 20 minutes to 19:20

Edit2: Added 5 minutes and then again 11 minutes.

Loadbalancers can be a solution ;) I'm sure Thomas and friends don't like this either. Hopefully the IT dept gets it solved soonish?

Last edited:
Back