Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test

• Thread starter cdcdude
  • 436 comments
Aah damn nice :).

Excellent video review which covered pretty much everything :) I got the feeling though you run mostly arcade games? I can see you preferr the 911 wheels FFB then due to it´s vibration motors... It´s not really needed for simracing though since you can simulate that with normal FFB as well and many run bass shakers in their cockpits but still. I do run arcade games as well so it´s a plus for sure. Have you tried it with GT 5 Prologue does the H-shifter and clutch and all work? How is the feel compared to the racing sims on the PC side without aids :)

the MS FFB have a similar setup but with much weaker motors wasn´t that impressed with it but guess this is a totally other story.

One thing I noticed though is that the 911 wheel seemed to turn slower? Also when no force feedback is applied is the Fanatec heavier to turn? I used the DFP prior to the G25 and it was very heavy to turn even with no FFB applied. I felt the G25 having virtually no resistance really helped to bring the small changes in FFB much more noticeable :)

As for the grip yeah you are spot on there about the G25... You have to tape that one for optimal grip. As for appearance I really like the look of the G25 it feels more racing... the 911 wheel well duh seems more like a sports cars wheel which of course is nice as well but for me is more like driving a Volvo then an F1. But you soon forget about the appearance it how they feel tat is important. the LCD display if you can get it to show gears or shift lights would be just awesome :)

Again as for the shifter you where spot on again.. Can´t even use them as sequential shifter. I do run with a SST Lightning shifter now though but I assume if I ever get a PS 3 I will never be able to use it... Also did I understand it right that it ships with two shifters one H-shifter and one sequential? Sequential shifting I do miss...

Also as for the mounting I noticed you got a playseat was it hard to fit the 911 wheel? it seemed to clamp on to the sides not sure how that will work with the Obutto I am getting... Is there holes for it so you can attach it permanently without the clamping device?

Also as for the pedals... How wide are they? And as for brake how is it compared to the G25? Is it stiffer and how much of a progressive resistance do you get? Do you really have to push them to get to 100 % brake and is there any way to adjust them?

Must say my expectations rised quite a bit after that review.

Well, the test rule from Fanatec specifically said "be objective".

- The G25 is only $250 street, and can be had for much less. That is over $100USD difference.
- NO real car steering vibrates like that when you are on the gas....If they do, then the car have some serious mechanical problem.

One thing I do get out of your video is to NEVER buy a Playseat....LOL. How can anyone play like that with it flexes like that is beyond me.

Nice review. Thanks for finally posting this, you're credibility has been restored 👍

Although I must say that you seem a little too biased for the Porsche wheel, so its hard for me to see how much 'better' or different the fanatic wheel is. Some of the comparison remarks you make against the G25 seem kind of 'eh' to me (wires, unlabeled buttons, who cares?). Maybe you say it because the fanatec wheel is just that much better, or I'm just saying this because I've owned the G25 since it came out and I love it so much. :)

I guess I'll just reserve any judgment until I get my test unit and see for myself.

Anyway, still a nice review, and good to finally see this wheel. If you have time, it would also be nice to see some more vids of extended play.

Cheers
:cheers:

The only think I like about the Fanatec wheel by the looks of it is the vibration motor (real cars don't but it's probably a nice feature anyway).

I like the fact it has more buttons on the wheel, but the G25 does have that raw racey feel, the Fanatec looks more of a toy in that way.

I don't have any problems with the wires of the G25, they are all tucked away. I hate batteries though, that is a big put off for me.

Overall it looks like the Fanatec is a great subsitution but It's not worth it for me, I'll just stick with my G25 and wait to see what Logitech comes up with in the upcoming GT5 wheel.

One thing I do get out of your video is to NEVER buy a Playseat....LOL. How can anyone play like that with it flexes like that is beyond me.

Haha I always think the same thing.

yo rocket punch. first i'd like to say hello to you and extend a nice warm thank you as i'm one of the people you inspired. After having watched your leet driving videos on youtube you greatly inspired me to make a large spending i.e ps3 and g25 and gt5 prologue :) :D

in anycase, what do you exactly mean by 'flex'? in fact, i noticed number of people on gtp forum mention it on several occasions. i don't mean to be sarcastic but I own the playseat evo and i'm beginning to wonder if people are even setting up their seats properly?

The seat itself is a heavy hunk of steel and i have everything bolted in and screwed in as tightly as possible. How can anything flex? the answer is it doesn't. I will not lie, NOTHING in my seat moves or jolts even in the slightest bit if i tried. i dont care what other people say, because my seat simply does NOT move or feel unstable as some others might claim.

only thing that moves is the steering wheel column which will move vertically if i actually tried to force it down. But like i said, i'd have to really push the wheel down to have it move which I won't be doing under normal driving conditions. I also know that some people claim to have issues with the pole between the leg, but that is a whole another issue which i wont even get into. But as far as 'flexing' is considered, am i missing something here? do you mean the base of the pedals move? cuz that doesn't move at all either when you bolt it down tight with 4 allen screws! I don't know how els to put it but the seat is damn solid when it comes to stability.

i'm not trying to crap on cdcdude's thread, but am i the only person on this forum who absolutely loves the look and feel of the playseat evo?

btw, great review cdcdude. don't let it get to you about people complaining that your review is not indepth or whatever. you are still the only person to even have a video of it on line and for that we're just thankful. I know i just wanted to see the damn wheel in action and be compared with g25 generally. but you did take too long :)

As for the playseat yes the 911 obviously seem to have either to strong force feedback, is to heavy and the shifter mount surely doesn´t help... Trust me the Evolution don´t wobble at all if you run a G25 with max force feedback applied :). The pedal tray a little bit but that you don´t notice. But for pedals stiffer then G25s it´s an issue.
So you don´t get fooled by the youtube videos.

But what is wrong with being biased to the 911 wheel if it´s better... Come on price has nothing to do with it.
It´s like saying a ferrari f1 is not better then a minardi because it´s cheaper.
The comments on G25 is spot on and I can´t say much about the 911 since I haven´t used it.

Okay labelled buttons maybe doesn´t matter but wires everywhere doesn´t look good... Only thing I liked about the ms FFB wheel... And for me yes the G25 is more a stripped down racing wheel whereas the 911 is something you find in a standard car obviously but it´s surely nice that as well... Bigger is better :P

As for the vibration engines they are programmable in strength and anyway since when was force feedback real? It´s there to negotiate the fact that we can´t feel the Gforces we get it in the wheel instead.
The rumble engines may be usable in arcade titles with poor force feedback I suspect. Don´t expect much of them in racing sims that are built for force feedback rather then rumble :)

haha you guys are funny. well i got the playseat for 150. amazon had a deal. buy a playseat and a game like gtr and get 60 bucks amazon credit. so 150+10-60. good deal.
its not too bad, but I really want a custom made one. anyway, what cockpit u got?

can you power the pedals with a AC wire instead of AA bateries and can this work on the PS2 and with PS2 games on the ps3?

As for the playseat do you notice much difference in stability using the different wheels? It looked like the playseat was much more unstable on the 911 wheel especially during shifting as expected.. Also the wooden plank or what you got a little hard to see in the video is it needed to mount the 911 wheel?

good review :)
but its 100 dollar difference like everyone says :)

i know the break and clutch and H shifter feel may be better, but that is not the main aspect im concerned about...
you never really talk how it handles with Gran Turismo.. it really sounds like old GT wheel when you hear the motor... it feels really slow to turn and i remeber with old DFP wheel that when i made a sharp turn and letting wheel go... it will take ages to straighten out coming out from a turn... and i may be wrong, but this wheel seems the same it takes long time and i bet you have to force it to straight it up. With the G25 does not, its almost as in real car, let go and dont worry about turning it back to center when comming out of a turn.

besides you not suppose to feel the wheel shake because of the engine... but i was playing RACE 07 with G25 and there is an option to turn the engine vibration ON so you can feel it with G25 as well...

yo rocket punch. first i'd like to say hello to you and extend a nice warm thank you as i'm one of the people you inspired. After having watched your leet driving videos on youtube you greatly inspired me to make a large spending i.e ps3 and g25 and gt5 prologue :) :D

in anycase, what do you exactly mean by 'flex'? in fact, i noticed number of people on gtp forum mention it on several occasions. i don't mean to be sarcastic but I own the playseat evo and i'm beginning to wonder if people are even setting up their seats properly?

The seat itself is a heavy hunk of steel and i have everything bolted in and screwed in as tightly as possible. How can anything flex? the answer is it doesn't. I will not lie, NOTHING in my seat moves or jolts even in the slightest bit if i tried. i dont care what other people say, because my seat simply does NOT move or feel unstable as some others might claim.

only thing that moves is the steering wheel column which will move vertically if i actually tried to force it down. But like i said, i'd have to really push the wheel down to have it move which I won't be doing under normal driving conditions. I also know that some people claim to have issues with the pole between the leg, but that is a whole another issue which i wont even get into. But as far as 'flexing' is considered, am i missing something here? do you mean the base of the pedals move? cuz that doesn't move at all either when you bolt it down tight with 4 allen screws! I don't know how els to put it but the seat is damn solid when it comes to stability.

i'm not trying to crap on cdcdude's thread, but am i the only person on this forum who absolutely loves the look and feel of the playseat evo?

i have the evo chair as well.. and its really ROCK solid.. everything bloted down and no wiggle or waggle... or twisting...
A++ for that chair :)

Nice review. Thanks for finally posting this, you're credibility has been restored 👍

Although I must say that you seem a little too biased for the Porsche wheel, so its hard for me to see how much 'better' or different the fanatic wheel is. Some of the comparison remarks you make against the G25 seem kind of 'eh' to me (wires, unlabeled buttons, who cares?). Maybe you say it because the fanatec wheel is just that much better, or I'm just saying this because I've owned the G25 since it came out and I love it so much. :)

I guess I'll just reserve any judgment until I get my test unit and see for myself.

Anyway, still a nice review, and good to finally see this wheel. If you have time, it would also be nice to see some more vids of extended play.

Cheers
:cheers:
thanks man, I would love to see your opinions on it too! Tell me what you think

can you power the pedals with a AC wire instead of AA bateries and can this work on the PS2 and with PS2 games on the ps3?

Yes, I'm not too sure about all ps2 games, but a few. And yes there is an AC plug for the pedals in case you dont have batteries or if u dont want to use them.

good review :)
but its 100 dollar difference like everyone says :)

i know the break and clutch and H shifter feel may be better, but that is not the main aspect im concerned about...
you never really talk how it handles with Gran Turismo.. it really sounds like old GT wheel when you hear the motor... it feels really slow to turn and i remeber with old DFP wheel that when i made a sharp turn and letting wheel go... it will take ages to straighten out coming out from a turn... and i may be wrong, but this wheel seems the same it takes long time and i bet you have to force it to straight it up. With the G25 does not, its almost as in real car, let go and dont worry about turning it back to center when comming out of a turn.

besides you not suppose to feel the wheel shake because of the engine... but i was playing RACE 07 with G25 and there is an option to turn the engine vibration ON so you can feel it with G25 as well...

Nope, this wheel comes back just like the g25, if that's what youre asking.
Just like real power steering, its fast, I havent tried the DFP, but I have no problems with what youre saying.

Nope, this wheel comes back just like the g25, if that's what youre asking.
Just like real power steering, its fast, I havent tried the DFP, but I have no problems with what youre saying.

oh thanks for the answer :)
can you do some GT5 videos with the wheel? just drive around.. dont have to do fast laps but lets see the force feedback in action :)

cdcdude, you´re opening post with "Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test" in a lot of forums. Remember you´re not the only beta tester in the world, and all the testers must make at least one review.
Fanatec say will give a special discount for active people, but it seens you want it for free... ¬_¬

Think a little in the other testers, ok?.

cdcdude, you´re opening post with "Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test" in a lot of forums. Remember you´re not the only beta tester in the world, and all the testers must make at least one review.
Fanatec say will give a special discount for active people, but it seens you want it for free... ¬_¬

Think a little in the other testers, ok?.

??? I have only posted it in three forums. I am not an official tester. And that thread would not stop you from posting a review of your own. I don't understand what point you're trying to make. I am sure plenty would still want to see another view, especially since many see mine as biased. I hate having to repeat myself, but I was focusing on the positive points only for that review, I will focus on things that can be improved in another video, jumbling them together seems to be unorganized. People do not understand that. sorry haha it's just a bunch of morons are complaining to me for some reason. Anyway, I am glad I can help out, and I cant seem to find your questions?

oh thanks for the answer :)
can you do some GT5 videos with the wheel? just drive around.. dont have to do fast laps but lets see the force feedback in action :)

Of course! Please give me a little time, I've been pretty busy lately, actually most of my responses are from my phone. I will try to do that tomorrow

How is the resistance when there is no force feedback applied? Which wheel is the easiest to turn?

With no force feedback? well, I haven't really experimented that too much, but have tried it.. I think its just how you would imagine it with no force feedback...not really any resistance.
I think theyre both pretty easy to turn, I wouldn't say that one wheel is easier to turn than the other. Kind of like in real cars, the wheels may differ a bit, but it isn't like no power-steering to a power steering comparison.
They both feel like power steered cars. The way the wheel comes back after you turn feels so great on both wheels.

Thank you ADMINS for putting the responses together...I'm sorry I didn't do it myself!
I will definitely try to from now on if you could teach me an easy way?

??? I have only posted it in three forums. I am not an official tester. And that thread would not stop you from posting a review of your own. I don't understand what point you're trying to make. I am sure plenty would still want to see another view, especially since many see mine as biased. I hate having to repeat myself, but I was focusing on the positive points only for that review, I will focus on things that can be improved in another video, jumbling them together seems to be unorganized. People do not understand that. sorry haha it's just a bunch of morons are complaining to me for some reason. Anyway, I am glad I can help out, and I cant seem to find your questions?
Really see you are not an official tester, because the Fanatec instructions say they only want a thread with the title "Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test" per forum:

"8. Step 3: Share your experience
Written reviews:
The tests have to labeled with the headline: “Fanatec 911 Turbo wheel: Test”. This makes sure that it is easy to identify in every forum.
Before you open such a thread look if somebody else did it before. Do not open multiple threads. Post all tests into one thread per forum.
It is highly appreciated if you share your expirience with several communities."

You have opened some only to link your video. Now, people that could to write a extend review in these forums can only to reply your threads.

The Fanatec´s prize of reduce the cost of the beta units to the "especially active" testers is going to bring controversy: some people are opening threads to reserve its, because they don´t want that other users start its before of them. Everybody wants a cheaper unit.

I woul dlike to mention that it does not matter who opened the thread. Anyone can post his test experience to this thread and to as many threads he likes as long there is always just one thread per community.

So there is no problem if multiple community testers are posting to the same thread.

And I would also like to clearify at this point that CDCDUDE is in fact not an official community tester. He got a beta version of the wheel from a little "leak" inside the company. But as he was so enthusiastic about the wheel we did not want to stop him from posting his experiences. In fact, thanks CDCDUDE for the positive outcome! There will certainly be more critical testers out there.

Thomas

eeh that is recommendations you can start 500 threads if you want to lol. But that wouldn´t serve anyone :).

All "beta testers" is happy amateurs like you and I. You are right though there is a risk someone sells their sole to make Fanatec happy with their hyping but that´s life. Some will be so happy they got to try the wheel as well and will of course be biased...

But then believe me we will have G25 fanboys which want to make themself popular to other G25 users that feels threatened that there may be a similarly priced wheel that actually is better than their precious ;)

I can totally understand where all the negativity comes from but remember your G25 doesn´t get worse just because there may be a better wheel out there :)

... He got a beta version of the wheel from a little "leak" inside the company.
Hello Thomas.

Want this to say that the final version has any diference with the cdcdude unit?.

Could you reply to my questions, please (if pedals and shifter has holes for screws, and the pedal´s base dimensions)?. I ask to you about the holes for screws on the shifter in the wheel community, but I don´t get a reply.

Thanks very much.

Of course! Please give me a little time, I've been pretty busy lately, actually most of my responses are from my phone. I will try to do that tomorrow

hay man no sweat
its your wheel, its your time..
so i demand it by tomorrow MUAHHAHAH

JK

take your time :)
oh and if you can drift.. drift some.. lets see how it goes with wheel
if u ever get bored with it, send it to me ;) it never hurts to have 2 great wheels at finger tips :P haha

hay man no sweat
its your wheel, its your time..
so i demand it by tomorrow MUAHHAHAH

JK

take your time :)
oh and if you can drift.. drift some.. lets see how it goes with wheel
if u ever get bored with it, send it to me ;) it never hurts to have 2 great wheels at finger tips :P haha

i really suck at drifting...haha i realized if i turn it down the sensitivity i can drift so much easier. haha anyway i guess i will attempt it

i really suck at drifting...haha i realized if i turn it down the sensitivity i can drift so much easier. haha anyway i guess i will attempt it

haha cool :)
i suck at drifting... but drving/racing im pretty decent

Latest Posts

Back