Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel: Test

• Thread starter cdcdude
  • 436 comments
If talking 360, then I'd say he was full of bologna with that statement.

:lol:

Are you serious?

Yes, you have to hit the power button on the wheel, and then hit the Xbox Button on the controller. How is that difficult? It takes less then 30 seconds. Then cruise the menu with ease. When you're done, turn off the controller, and hit the Xbox button on the wheel. Well worth it...

I think on the PS3 (probably depends on the game) you can have both functioning at the same time, and picking up the controller for navigation is a pretty available option.

True.

;)

Are you serious?

Yes, you have to hit the power button on the wheel, and then hit the Xbox Button on the controller. How is that difficult? It takes less then 30 seconds. Then cruise the menu with ease. When you're done, turn off the controller, and hit the Xbox button on the wheel. Well worth it...

;)

I never said it was difficult. It is just a waste of time. Turn off the wheel, turn on controller, navigate, turn off controller, turn on wheel...

I find it funny is all, because for menu navigation, the dpad on the wheel is just fine.

:odd:

Are you serious?

True.

;)
I use the xbox controller for painting and the such, but I can't switch back and forth like you do. If I turn of my wheel and turn on another controller it logs the controller in as port 2. I have to turn my xbox completley off to switch controllers.
I really have no problem though navigating menues with the pad on the wheel, the only thing I don't use it for is painting, and that's just because the wheel has no analog sticks.

I use the xbox controller for painting and the such, but I can't switch back and forth like you do. If I turn of my wheel and turn on another controller it logs the controller in as port 2. I have to turn my xbox completley off to switch controllers.
I really have no problem though navigating menues with the pad on the wheel, the only thing I don't use it for is painting, and that's just because the wheel has no analog sticks.

Once a controller is identified as controller 2 you can not change it without a reboot (one thing 360 really fails at compared to any other system).

If you turn the wheel off before turning on another controller, said controller will turn on as controller 1 in replace of the wheel. Then to switch back you need to then turn the controller off (pop the battery off a little is the quickest way) before turning the wheel on.

Again, if at any point one controller is recognized as as second or more controller, it will be stuck there till reboot.

Once a controller is identified as controller 2 you can not change it without a reboot (one thing 360 really fails at compared to any other system).

If you turn the wheel off before turning on another controller, said controller will turn on as controller 1 in replace of the wheel. Then to switch back you need to then turn the controller off (pop the battery off a little is the quickest way) before turning the wheel on.

Again, if at any point one controller is recognized as as second or more controller, it will be stuck there till reboot.

Thanks, I never noticed that, it'll make painting and racing together alot easier for me. Several times I have stopped playing because I turned my system off and didn't feel like waiting for the game to boot back up.

I never said it was difficult. It is just a waste of time. Turn off the wheel, turn on controller, navigate, turn off controller, turn on wheel...

I think you are over thinking this a bit. It doesn't take any time to do. You just hit a power button, and then the Xbox button. It may not be necessary, but "waste of time" is a stretch to say the least.

I find it funny is all, because for menu navigation, the dpad on the wheel is just fine.

I just don't agree. The only time I use it is between a race to make one small adjustment, or pick the next race. Other than that, it just doesn't make sense why you wouldn't take 2 seconds to turn on your controller. I think it is a horrible D-Pad. One of the worst I have ever come across.

bevo

I was going to answer, but versapak beat me to it. As long as you don't try and turn on your controller while the wheel is on, you shouldn't have a problem.

This isn't fully accurate.

To go back to using the wheel all you have to do is turn the controller off using the Xbox Button (although, you are right about it being faster to to just remove the battery). You can't do this to switch from the wheel to the controller. Yet, when switching from the controller back to the wheel the Xbox will allow it, for some reason.

The Xbox is a silly machine...

;)

I think you are over thinking this a bit. It doesn't take any time to do. You just hit a power button, and then the Xbox button. It may not be necessary, but "waste of time" is a stretch to say the least.
I'm not over thinking it at all. The steps I gave are exact. It isn't like I haven't ever switched controllers, and it most definitely takes more than 2 seconds. The dpad isn't going to win you any games of street fighter, but its directions are accurate. What more do you need for menu navigation? The dpad on the 360 gampad is less accurate.

Either way personal preference. It isn't my time you waste by changing controllers, and if it is what you need to do for you, then so be it. Just know that, yes, it is silly to swap controllers just to do that tiny bit of navigation between races. :P

I just don't agree. The only time I use it is between a race to make one small adjustment, or pick the next race. Other than that, it just doesn't make sense why you wouldn't take 2 seconds to turn on your controller. I think it is a horrible D-Pad. One of the worst I have ever come across.

I would never state that it was a great dpad by any stretch, but it is functional and aesthetically pleasing as is, so I'm fine with it. You say that it is horrible, but why? Can you not navigate up and down? Is it just located too poorly for you to be able to use?

I have never once had it navigate somewhere other than where I expected, so that is why it seems odd to me that one would feel compelled to actually change controllers just to navigate a few menus.

This isn't fully accurate.

To go back to using the wheel all you have to do is turn the controller off using the Xbox Button (although, you are right about it being faster to to just remove the battery). You can't do this to switch from the wheel to the controller. Yet, when switching from the controller back to the wheel the Xbox will allow it, for some reason.

The Xbox is a silly machine...

;)

What do you mean?

You can swap between the controllers at any time, regardless of which you are using first. Using the wheel, but want to use the controller? Just turn the wheel off, then turn the controller on. Using the controller, but want to use the wheel? Just turn the controller off, then turn the wheel on. As long as they are never on at the same time, then one will always take the place of the other.

I'm not over thinking it at all. The steps I gave are exact. It isn't like I haven't ever switched controllers, and it most definitely takes more than 2 seconds.

I'm sorry, you're right. It takes almost exactly 3.5 seconds (switching each way)

The dpad isn't going to win you any games of street fighter, but its directions are accurate. What more do you need for menu navigation?

It's actually not that accurate. The floaty nature of the design makes it thus. Nevertheless, I DO use the D-Pad for small bits of navigation between races (as I said, and you quoted below)

The dpad on the 360 gampad is less accurate.

Maybe you have an older controller, but the gamepad that came with my Elite has a far superior D-Pad, in regards to accuracy or just about anything else (outside of aesthetics possibly), than the spongy Fanatec unit.

Just know that, yes, it is silly to swap controllers just to do that tiny bit of navigation between races. :P

Which is why I DO use the Fanatec pad in those situations (is there an echo?). If there is anything more to do than just picking races, or making simple adjustments, I take all of 3.5 seconds to swap for the controller.

I would never state that it was a great dpad by any stretch, but it is functional and aesthetically pleasing as is, so I'm fine with it. You say that it is horrible, but why? Can you not navigate up and down? Is it just located too poorly for you to be able to use?

The location is pretty awful. The feel is horrible (never really feels like you're contacting anything). Mine actually does send me in directions I did not intend. and so on.......

What do you mean?

You can swap between the controllers at any time, regardless of which you are using first. Using the wheel, but want to use the controller? Just turn the wheel off, then turn the controller on. Using the controller, but want to use the wheel? Just turn the controller off, then turn the wheel on. As long as they are never on at the same time, then one will always take the place of the other.

Read...

Delphic Reason
To go back to using the wheel all you have to do is turn the controller off using the Xbox Button

You cannot turn the wheel off via the Xbox Button (any wheel). The wheel will remain connected. You must turn the power to the wheel off (or unplug it in the case of the old Microsoft wheel) in order to disconnect so another controller can be used for Player 1.

It's a small difference, but one that needed mentioning.

;)

Last edited:
Blah blah blah blah blah personal preference, played out argument, whatever...

:P

You cannot turn the wheel off via the Xbox Button (any wheel). The wheel will remain connected. You must turn the power to the wheel off (or unplug it in the case of the old Microsoft wheel) in order to disconnect so another controller can be used for Player 1.

It's a small difference, but one that needed mentioning.

Ahhhhhh, I see what you are saying. Yeah, I never turn off my controllers with the guide button, so I didn't know that about the wheel.

Actually... I just tried it, and it does turn it off, in the sense that it turns off the the 360 control.

It puts the wheel in standby, which is good enough for swapping controllers, as it is no longer connected to the 360.

Ahhhhhh, I see what you are saying. Yeah, I never turn off my controllers with the guide button, so I didn't know that about the wheel.

Actually... I just tried it, and it does turn it off, in the sense that it turns off the the 360 control.

It puts the wheel in standby, which is good enough for swapping controllers, as it is no longer connected to the 360.

Mine does not...

It stays connected, and any attempt to connect anything else results in player 2.

*Yep, just tested it...

What wheel is best for a Sim Seat? I don't think the gear shifted mounted to the fanatec one would work well with one but just asking to be sure. i was about to say playseat but then i realised it was a brand. lol

To use the wireless pedals with a G25 or any other wheel you also need the RF dongle which can be purchsed at Fanatec.com. But it will only work on PC.

Hello to all, can anyone tell me if there is a way to connect Fanatec Turbo (not s) wheel to xbox? (i've got a turbo s dongle btw if that can help). Thanks

Back