Fast and Furious 9 Adds John Cena to Replace The Rock

What the hell, and here I go thinking Hobbs and Shaw was basically FF9. They just twisted this franchise. I think this should have came out first and then maybe make the 10th installment the new direction aka spinoff starting up a new franchise.

If any franchise ever needed a prequel to slow the pace & absurdity, it's this one.

Let's see a film about a early-20-something year old Dominic Torretto working his way up in the LA street racing scene of the mid 1990s, while falling into the easy-money lifestyle. Now that could be a cool film.
That sounds almost like the very first FF movie to be honest except he was in his early 30s but everything else fits the first film.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell, and here I go thinking Hobbs and Shaw was basically FF9. They just twisted this franchise. I think this should have came out first and then maybe make the 10th installment the new direction aka spinoff starting up a new franchise.

That sounds almost like the very first FF movie to be honest except he was in his early 30s but everything else fits the first film.

Hence "prequel".

Ugh
Why didn't this series end when Paul died?
I half agree. This series hit its peak with Fast 5 but 6 was good too then Paul died so it was right to finish 7 and tribute that to him...and it should have ended there. But there was an interview with him and Vin some years back and it was his wish to make it to 10 so they are honoring Paul's request and make 2 more movies to complete this saga. I mean we have seen it all I dont know how they will top the last few movies but each one does seem to outdo the other in a way. We will see how it plays out.

This is the movie equlivent of How I met your mother, the money they make comes before a story that makes sense.

I haven't liked any of them since Tokyo Drift. I'm just not an explosions and muscular-men-sweating-on-each-other-in-choreographed-fights kind of car guy. Just make this one about the cars and car culture again. Please? I know it won't happen after what people have come to expect from this series, but still.

... A new Born 2 Race film might be appreciated.

I haven't liked any of them since Tokyo Drift. I'm just not an explosions and muscular-men-sweating-on-each-other-in-choreographed-fights kind of car guy. Just make this one about the cars and car culture again. Please? I know it won't happen after what people have come to expect from this series, but still.

... A new Born 2 Race film might be appreciated.
The dream would be another film based in Japan with the Wangan Highway racers or the Loop racers.

It will never happen but it could make sense as like a sequel to the Tokyo Drift plot or something.

Yes, Wangan Midnight was amazing. I'd love to see something like that in live action, maybe even based on the real-world Mid Night Club. A modernized take, where Sean's character is using his love for American-style straight line/high-horsepower performance to introduce that Wangan style of racing to the series would work as well.

Yes, Wangan Midnight was amazing. I'd love to see something like that in live action, maybe even based on the real-world Mid Night Club. A modernized take, where Sean's character is using his love for American-style straight line/high-horsepower performance to introduce that Wangan style of racing to the series would work as well.
The criminal element would fit too, lots of expensive sports cars(some having nearly a million dollars put into them) and with history of the Yakuza and Rich Businessman being involved(in Real not the Anime), it would be easy to fit a F&F Style story to it.

Didn't realize The Rock was actually stepping away from the franchise, just figured he would do a spin-off with Stathom. Guess the bad blood between him & Tyrese/Vin was enough to make him walk.

But, in a way even with all the middle-finger-to-physics this franchise pulls off, I'm glad because Hobbs is literally the center of "that's BS" with his super strength, covert-ops, specially trained government bounty hunter. I know they can't seriously be implying this dude is pulling a Captain America and is the link between a bunch of trucks and a damn helicopter.
lulz.jpg

morelulz.jpg

I'd say The Rock is overdue for a super hero role, but it'd probably be underwhelming.

Didn't realize The Rock was actually stepping away from the franchise, just figured he would do a spin-off with Stathom. Guess the bad blood between him & Tyrese/Vin was enough to make him walk.

But, in a way even with all the middle-finger-to-physics this franchise pulls off, I'm glad because Hobbs is literally the center of "that's BS" with his super strength, covert-ops, specially trained government bounty hunter. I know they can't seriously be implying this dude is pulling a Captain America and is the link between a bunch of trucks and a damn helicopter.

I'd say The Rock is overdue for a super hero role, but it'd probably be underwhelming.

While I understand why they cast the Rock in the F&F franchise, I think he kind of broke the series. Not only is he very implausible, but he also undermines the character of Dominic Toretto by being the same 'type' but in a way more overtly charismatic way - the quiet, brooding, almost menacing Toretto of F&F1 (which I think was a great character) is rendered nearly invisible by the towering, operatic Hobbs. You can't really have two alpha male protagonists and when one's entire persona is subtle and the other's is very-conspicuous. It doesn't really work.

Back