Favorite car to drive in GT2

• Thread starter Randy
  • 607 comments
opel Tigra 1.6i and the mitsu Mirage coupe... the rxrsr or whatever it's called.. lol

I love going to the 500+ HP touring car races and smaking down on the vettes...

So many favorites:

- Toyota Altezza LM. Really well balanced, and its incredibly fast.
- Castrol Supra GT from '96 is pretty good too, even though it can be a handful at times.
- The GT90 is a blast! Over 700 BHP and corners surprisingly well.
- The Dodge Concept Car. It was great in the first GT, and I am a big fan of the styling.

But I would have to say my all time favorite is the S2000 GT1. It does everything well, and is one of the best looking cars in the game.

So many favorites:

- Toyota Altezza LM. Really well balanced, and its incredibly fast.
- Castrol Supra GT from '96 is pretty good too, even though it can be a handful at times.
- The GT90 is a blast! Over 700 BHP and corners surprisingly well.
- The Dodge Concept Car. It was great in the first GT, and I am a big fan of the styling.

But I would have to say my all time favorite is the S2000 GT1. It does everything well, and is one of the best looking cars in the game.
GT90 is one tricky car, if you can master that, you can master just about anything! Mind sharing your settings? :dopey:

Dang, another GT90 fan :dopey:. A rarity indeed. Your skills must be amazing though, saying the GT90 is a good cornering car without changing any settings. I'm a fan of the car too, but I won't ever ever drive one if it hasn't got its downforce maxed out at the front and rear.

So many favorites:

• Toyota Altezza LM. Really well balanced, and its incredibly fast.
  • Castrol Supra GT from '96 is pretty good too, even though it can be a handful at times.
  • The GT90 is a blast! Over 700 BHP and corners surprisingly well.

Yah! another GT90 fan. Never drove the Castrol Supra or Altezza LM. :guilty:

Yeah, I dig this one too. Didn't drive it in GT2 as much as I did in GT1.

It's the sleeper of the GTP world.

GT90 is one tricky car, if you can master that, you can master just about anything! Mind sharing your settings? :dopey:

I don't have any specific settings for the GT90...but in general:

1. Soften up those springs! This is the main issue.

2. Raise the car a bit. Your speed won't suffer and you'll simply get better control in the long run. In fact, I used to keep the front-end 10 mm or so higher than the rear (so weight is locked over those rear tires--enhancing traction).

3. soften up your stabilizers (2 thru 4-ish) as well. Keep your front stabilizers & dampers stronger if you want less crazy oversteer.

4. Use strong Accel & decel settings (20-40 ish, depending on how much flexibility versus stability you desire) but mellow Initial LSD setting.

Finally, the MAIN thing to remember about the GT90...throttle control. It doesn't matter how much you tune this beast...if you mash the gas out of those tighter corners....everything typically goes to mush. Give gas carefully in this car. Let speed & momentum build before shifting from 2nd up to 3rd, and then you can hammer it.

Last edited:
Actually, the GT90 isn't that hard and oversteery to drive. On a smooth track it's not that handful of a car. Only when there's some bumps on the road does it start to get scary as the car bounces around, loses traction, and spins at the rear. Otherwise it's pretty stable. Kind of like a Lotus Esprit/Elise GT1; stable, but easily upset over bumps.

Actually, the GT90 isn't that hard and oversteery to drive. On a smooth track it's not that handful of a car. Only when there's some bumps on the road does it start to get scary as the car bounces around, loses traction, and spins at the rear. Otherwise it's pretty stable. Kind of like a Lotus Esprit/Elise GT1; stable, but easily upset over bumps.

Agreed. The GT90 is tough if you take it to rough roads or tracks with a lot of elevation change (Grindelwald or Seattle, for example). But on tracks with relatively flat land it is easier to control. It does bear similarities to the Elise GT1 in that way, which is strange because the GT90 is over 1000 lbs heavier.

Yeah, but see you guys are used to driving the GT90; you basically have some experience. For a greener player like Centro..it's valuable to know that your driving should come first...and settings are secondary. So many players think if you just set a car a certain way, it'll drive like magic ALL THE TIME. Not so with the GT90...you definitely have to obey the beast.

Last edited:
I grovel to it! But I actually found it to be a good car following your advice.

I remember when i was a newb reading about the GT90 here at GTP and some other websites. It seems 90% of those who drove it in GT2 pretty much said "it sucks...it's impossible". So when I finally got to drive one, I was expecting the worst. But it's not as bad as "they" say, right? You just gotta work with it and get to know it. :)

Last edited:
As Parnelli said, throttle control is definitely the key. If you're driving on a rough or bumpy section of road, layoff the accelerator and the steering - this will keep the car more stable. With the GT90, if you ask it to do too many things at once, it will bite back in a big way. Also, if you want to make the car more managable, you can use stability and traction control.

I loved driving the Mugen Del Sol Pro.3, definitely the car I kept returning to. The Espace F1 was probably one of my favourites too, if only for the sound!

Yeah, but see you guys are used to driving the gT90; you basically have some experience. For a greener player like Centro..it's valuable to know that your driving should come first...and settings are secondary. So many players think if you jsut set a car a certain way, it'll drive like magic ALL THE TIME. Not so with the GT90...you definately have to obey the beast.
Hey...I don't drive that bad... :sly: I mastered the Elise GT1 on Red Rock Valley, with max downforce. :crazy:

The thing is that I suck at setting up settings in GT2, most of the time I leave it the way it is and try my best, but with the GT90 I tried my own editing (since I couldn't understand it's handling) and it just got worse. Thanks for the advice on this monster, I'll try it out later on. 👍

The Elise GT1 is NOT that bad of a car, is it? I found it a cracker to throttle around the corners, and even a bit more tame than the GT-One (the Toyota has more horsepower).

I loved driving the Mugen Del Sol Pro.3, definitely the car I kept returning to. The Espace F1 was probably one of my favourites too, if only for the sound!

The Espace F1. I've always wanted to try it, but I could never bring myself to spending millions of credits on a really fast minivan. How does it drive?

As for the Elise GT1 it is a very good car, its only problem being that it gets upset by bumpy or uneven roads (take it out on Trial Mountain, and things can get a bit ugly :scared:)

The Espace F1. I've always wanted to try it, but I could never bring myself to spending millions of credits on a really fast minivan. How does it drive?

I can't remember too much about it, haven't played GT2 for ages and unlikely to now that I've sold it! But from memory it was certainly quick, sounded great, and was oversteery on tracks like Grindelwald but good on the quicker and smoother circuits, quite grippy.

As for the Elise GT1 it is a very good car, its only problem being that it gets upset by bumpy or uneven roads (take it out on Trial Mountain, and things can get a bit ugly :scared:)
This can be easily cured by maxing the downforce, increasing the height and equating the spring rate of both axis. Too bad it doesn't have the stabilizers, but what can we do.

You should try it out! The drive overall is nice, usually it turns smoothly even on hills, it would be smoother but PS1 limitations don't allow for much smoother roads. :indiff: This is why the Test Course has some difficulty with fast cars.

This can be easily cured by maxing the downforce, increasing the height and equating the spring rate of both axis. Too bad it doesn't have the stabilizers, but what can we do.

Thanks I'll try that. I really like the Elise GT1, but I couldn't work around the stability issue (I am not very good with settings - I usually buy and equip parts, but ignore tuning altogether). Although being light is normally a good thing, the Elise is so light that it can get thrown off very quickly and easily.

A good car, a bit light on the controls, but a nightmare on the bankings. Other than that, a very manageable machine.

Not being funny, but wouldn't the Espace F1 just fall over onthe Test Course? Such a tall car, on a track where the banking is almost like 45 degrees near the top of it :scared:
For me, my first ever car was the 1991 Honda Prelude. In dark blue. I saved up all night doing the GT regionals so I could get that RM. It just handled so well, even with 300hp through the front tyres...it drifts, and slips, and corners beautifully, even though the power is going to entirely the wrong wheels! How can this be?! :confused:
But yeah, my two cents. Oh and the Tommykaira R is another fav. A good all-rounder, can rip apart cars on the test course given enough turbos, but can still skid and corner well. Nearly beat a Vector M12 in it, and considering the M12 is something like 300,000 more, that makes the R somewhat of a bargain 💡

The Espace F1 has a low centre of gravity, being based on a Formula One chassis and with a lightened bodyshell. The downforce provided by that small spoiler wing on the roof should also help prevent the car from tipping. Do nto forget, centrufugal force may also play a part in its balance.

Not being funny, but wouldn't the Espace F1 just fall over onthe Test Course? Such a tall car, on a track where the banking is almost like 45 degrees near the top of it :scared:

The car isn't actually that tall, it's very wide, with huge tyres and all the weight low down. I'd be surprised if a standard Espace fell over at a standstill high on the banking in real life, so the F1 has no chance. Then consider that it'd be at some speed, with the g-forces pushing it into the ground and downforce from the aero bits, which would make falling over impossible.

Here in fact is one, at an (admittedly shallow) angle on some banking

renault_espace_f1_03.jpg

Finally bought and drove the Espace against LMP cars at SSR5. It was certainly quick off the line and not bad in the corners (there was a bit of oversteer but not hard to control). Eventually a Toyota GT-One passed me on the long straight, but it was still fun. Haven't driven it on bankings yet, but a much better machine than I expected it to be.

Yeah, cheers superberkut and homeforsummer, bit of a dummy moment for me :dunce:
I think I drove it once, just remember it being really fast...then waking up in hospital with it splatted all over the armco. Well, my ingame Stig did. So amazed by the power of what was essentially a people carrier, he forgot that it could turn too :ouch:
Ill give it a drive later, sounds like a laugh :)

Yeah, cheers superberkut and homeforsummer, bit of a dummy moment for me :dunce:
I think I drove it once, just remember it being really fast...then waking up in hospital with it splatted all over the armco. Well, my ingame Stig did. So amazed by the power of what was essentially a people carrier, he forgot that it could turn too :ouch:
Ill give it a drive later, sounds like a laugh :)

As a computer, he was physically unable to figure out how that could be. It probably broke him...:lol:

As a computer, he was physically unable to figure out how that could be. It probably broke him...:lol:

Hahaha....

"Some say that he has webbed feet. Others say that when presented with the Espace F1, he encounters a problem, needs to close and is sorry for the inconvinience...all we know is, he's called the Hospitalised Stig!" :ouch:

Cultus or escudo??

Escudo definatly best on dirt but i bit of over steer on hill climb dirt track!

Cultus best at road, good start ok handling,GREAT!

P.S.the HKS drag is pants

Good points:
1011hp
Great start

Bad points:
VERY bad handling
Spins if brake round hairpin (not that itll even get to the hairpin! lol)

Back