Ferrari VGT

• Thread starter coyb20
  • 270 comments
I don't hate the Ferrari VGT, but I don't like it either. Just another future concept supercar that has incredibly ostentatious styling, extreme performance seemingly for the sake of it, and has features that just do not make any sense in an actual vehicle (joystick controls that create their own force feedback...?). Most of these things wouldn't be bad if it weren't for several of the VGT cars already following this formula, so it's kinda stale at this point imo. The various nods to gaming that are present in the car are neat, though.

For me, the the Audi VGT is still the most interesting VGT car made so far, and largely because it was A) created with technology that is both current and relevant, B) was built to showcase the potential performance of electric power, so the extreme performance it has actually has a reason for being there, and C) was not just built IRL, but actually runs and matches the specs of its virtual counterpart almost perfectly. It's still a bit of an ugly duckling imo, though.

Errrm well, that design brings me back a few years, I owned a copy of this colour schemed Maelstrom Hot Wheels model in the very distant past. kinda reminded me of it.
Maelstrom-h.jpg

Almost right? and look it doesn't have wing mirrors either Looking at the model now, Maelstrom looks like it has 20:80 weight balast ratio! :scared:

1669599102092.png

I almost loved it as much as my blue and silver spittin' image 2, lol which basically looks like an FR alpine Gr.1 VGT with a second cockpit on the other side. It's the only fantasy ones I owned that I remembered, had to do a bit of research and digging to get images of the exact copies but even still I quite impressed I still remember them.
1669599213175.png

In all honesty though that's really all I really care to say or contribute about it.

I don't hate the Ferrari VGT, but I don't like it either. Just another future concept supercar that has incredibly ostentatious styling, extreme performance seemingly for the sake of it, and has features that just do not make any sense in an actual vehicle (joystick controls that create their own force feedback...?). Most of these things wouldn't be bad if it weren't for several of the VGT cars already following this formula, so it's kinda stale at this point imo. The various nods to gaming that are present in the car are neat, though.

For me, the the Audi VGT is still the most interesting VGT car made so far, and largely because it was A) created with technology that is both current and relevant, B) was built to showcase the potential performance of electric power, so the extreme performance it has actually has a reason for being there, and C) was not just built IRL, but actually runs and matches the specs of its virtual counterpart almost perfectly. It's still a bit of an ugly duckling imo, though.

I wouldn't be capable of putting it any better.

It doesn't look or has the characteristics to be a racecar, and it sure as hell doesn't have them to be a road car either. Just another showy display design that serves no real purpose to be... an actual car. Be it for racing, or road legal. But of course will leave the people in that "wow" state of mind... Probably the only real thing this VGT program aims to do.

The Audi VGT is ugly as hell yes, but it's a VGT that doesn't deserve as much of the hate the others get. And the same can be applied to the Bugatti VGT, although the real one has 1500hp instead of the 1600hp in the game and it wasn't as much driven as the Audi VGT, but otherwise it was a similar case to the Audi in that the car did serve a purpose and was purposefully built.

And of course, it had to be a trademark for a VGT car to, other than the clearly pretentious design, to have low height windows and ridiculously large rims. Alongside the... of course... ridiculous performance figures just for the sake of it. Remember the "wow factor" I talked about?

And yet another slot of the car roster of this game that is going to be occupied by a fake car and the 499 LMDh, 488, 296, SF90 Stradale, etc, are left out.

A kind reminder also that the most "updated" Ferrari RACE car is a 458 GT3 from 2012. In a game released in 2022.
Let that sink in.

Last edited:
I was expecting something much better than a Lamborghini copy .
In my opinion, the Lambo VGT actually looks good and is pretty fun to drive as it's light as hell and not overly powerful. This doesn't look good and 1350 hp is most likely too much for it to fun to drive on normal tracks.

Ferrari and PD could have worked together created the Ferrari 499P Street more akin to the Porsche 919 street.
They could have, but it would defeat the purpose of making a concept car in the first place. What is a 499P street car going to tell us about the future direction of Ferrari?

They could have, but it would defeat the purpose of making a concept car in the first place. What is a 499P street car going to tell us about the future direction of Ferrari?
There has been how many vision cars that have technically not made it into any designs no matter what.

Look at the concept cars from the 2000s most design wise have not made it into any future design apart from car manufacturers saying otherwise by claiming a few influences.

Most people would actually rather see a street version of the Ferrari 499P .

I wonder if the car is already in the game and just locked or if we can expect a december update on 15th (when the quiz winners suppose to recieve the car, and it is also thursday, the usual update day)
It would make sense to release the update early because of the holidays

Looks cool I guess, but at the same time it does not bring out an emotional response.... Which for a Ferrari is pretty strange... looks more like a fancy appliance than an emotional artform...

Fantastic car!

(The presentation color is perhaps to refer to the famous 'Cloud Gate', of the artist who served as inspiration).

Looks like every other VGT imo. Only BMW, Mitsubishi, Mini and perhaps Lamborghini have VGTs that at least look somewhat like a car you could see on the road.
I think you refer to this line and the shape of the wheels.

2022-11-28 10_28_36-03149f29-c5d0-4535-87f8-975e9c048472.jpg (4096×2304).png

When you look into designing the most extreme sportscar, one of the most important thing is to have the less Cx (less drag) possible. And, as every concept cars like this are created from CFD, the most efficient shape for a car is this one. Ultra large and flat.
So yes, most of extreme sportscar concepts, share some lines.

Last edited:
At first I really liked it, but now the longer I look at it the less I like it.
I think it's the side profile. Looking at it from the front or rear I think it looks great, but go to a somewhat side angle and it starts to look, odd. I really don't like how much the rearlights overhang. They should've stopped at the same length as the diffusor, maybe even a bit sooner. I'm also not impressed by the front intake. The way they did it, it just looks like someone remembered that the thing needs to get air and just stuck a bottomless box to it. The fact that it's not even carbon like the splitter around it just fortifies this feel to me. Also not sure about the wheel arches. You have this sharp line in the middle that makes it look like they "melt glued" the top to the bottom. Having that disturbed by those bubble wheel arches feels off.

Errrm well, that design brings me back a few years, I owned a copy of this colour schemed Maelstrom Hot Wheels model in the very distant past. kinda reminded me of it.
View attachment 1211438

Almost right? and look it doesn't have wing mirrors either Looking at the model now, Maelstrom looks like it has 20:80 weight balast ratio! :scared:

View attachment 1211440

I almost loved it as much as my blue and silver spittin' image 2, lol which basically looks like an FR alpine Gr.1 VGT with a second cockpit on the other side. It's the only fantasy ones I owned that I remembered, had to do a bit of research and digging to get images of the exact copies but even still I quite impressed I still remember them.
View attachment 1211441

In all honesty though that's really all I really care to say or contribute about it.
And GT "enthusiasts" will look down on Forza Horizon for explicitly having Hot Wheels cars in it. :banghead:
This thing is not the future direction of Ferrari. If you took the badging off it you'd seriously struggle to identify who made it. It's generic 10 year old boy spaceshipcar. It's cool, in a really basic big-wheels-pointy-car-go-zoom sort of way. But that's it, Ferrari isn't going to be making cars edged in razor blades in the next ten years.

A 499P road car would be closer to whatever the future of Ferrari is than this.

A 499P road car would be closer to whatever the future of Ferrari is than this.
A Le Mans prototype is further from the future of a brand than a Vision concept - I can't see any cars derived from the 919 or R18 coming from Porsche or Audi, nor anything remotely resembling the GR010 from Toyota.
That said, I agree this doesn't look very "Ferrari". But maybe that's what they wanted: to hint at a change in Ferrari styling?

Looks like every other VGT imo. Only BMW, Mitsubishi, Mini and perhaps Lamborghini have VGTs that at least look somewhat like a car you could see on the road.
It's not supposed to resemble a road car though, it's meant to be an indication of the future of single seat race cars.

It's not supposed to resemble a road car though, it's meant to be an indication of the future of single seat race cars.
Which again, is not what VGTs are/were supposed to be. What's the point of calling it a "Vision Gran Turismo" if it's not, you know, a vision of future Gran Turismo cars?

Last edited:
As a concept, its's really cool. Like most of the VGT vehicles are.
I'm hoping they add those already in production cars the game desperately needs, however. Just seems odd that what I would consider staples in any modern racing game, just aren't in there. I doubt this car's inclusion somehow hinders those cars. It's just not a priority it seems for PD right now.

I don't think anyone besides you really cares about the original intent of the program.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Several people have said they'd be better if they were all similar performing GT cars so they could race each other at least. What is this Ferrari going to race? Completely differently specced Gr.1 cars most likely leading to a big imbalance, like all the other random VGT race cars. Or worse, nothing at all like the Dodge.

If this was still the PS1 era and cars still only took a few hours to build It'd not be as much of an issue, but these models are taking 3-6 months of man hours, they're producing very few each year. It sucks that we don't have so many important, cherished real vehicles that people are clamouring for but they keep pumping these out that nobody will care about in 10 years. If they're going to keep doing them surely the least they could do is actually make something the program was supposed to be about, and be useful.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Several people have said they'd be better if they were all similar performing GT cars so they could race each other at least. What is this Ferrari going to race? Completely differently specced Gr.1 cars most likely leading to a big imbalance, like all the other random VGT race cars. Or worse, nothing at all like the Dodge.

If this was still the PS1 era and cars still only took a few hours to build It'd not be as much of an issue, but these models are taking 3-6 months of man hours, they're producing very few each year. It sucks that we don't have so many important, cherished real vehicles that people are clamouring for but they keep pumping these out that nobody will care about in 10 years. If they're going to keep doing them surely the least they could do is actually make something the program was supposed to be about, and be useful.
I have to agree. I love driving the VGT's which have an obvious real-car vibe, like the BMW, Honda, MINI, Mitsubishi, and the Toyota FT-1. I have very little interest in the Audi VGT, Chaparral 2X, SRT Tomahawk, Hyundai, Jaguar, Lambo, Mazda, etc. I wish this had been a more Ferrari-like concept and less of the approach they ended up taking. Unless they decide to create an event for all those hyper-powered VGT cars where they can all compete on a relatively balanced basis via BOP (with big pay-out please!)...

Back