FF car needed

• Thread starter bAtesy
  • 18 comments
I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions of what FF car I could use to win the FF cup. Albeit it is a beginner event, I just want to get through the game without wasting any money at all.

There is no Dodge Intrepid in GT1. The only way to get the Dodge Concept Car is to get all golds in your B-license. (And that car is not FF anyway).

Unlike GT4, in GT1 FF cars handle unrealistically well. That is, they can take heavy power mods, and get the power to the road.

In North American versions, the Mazda Demio A-spec you win from the Sunday Cup is perfectly adequate, especially if maxed out. Especially since you say you don't want to waste any money, that's probably the car to use. But you are using the PAL version, so it won't be the fantastic star it is in the North American version. But I'd guess it can win the FF series. By special arrangement, it's also eligible for the Lightweight Battle Stage.

Based on Arcade Mode, you'd likely favour the Mitsubishi Eclipse. Any of the FTO (new, or used, not the weird 4WD FTO LM prize) are overpowering choices too. And the Honda Civic 3dr'93 si is far and away one of the best cars in the game, in proportion to its non-excessive but reasonable max-power, anyway.

Hmm. You did put racing tires on, did you?

You've tried
Eclipse GT
FTO (various sorts, to too different; GPX are the best, IIRC)
Civic 3dr'93si
Demio A-spec

with max power and other mods (especially weight reduction and tires and suspension), and they won't keep up?
Is your transmission tuned correctly?

If this is your first time, try a race-mod body; come back later to win properly. Of did you try that already?

Either you're doing something fundamentally wrong when tuning, or you are having great difficulty getting a grip on the necessary fundamental driving skills.

Can the cars actually not keep up, e.g. on the straights, or do you just wipe out too many times a lap to stay ahead until the finish? (Although the rubber band algorithm is still pretty strong in the FF series, so you should usually be able to catch up with a too powerful car).

Is there one particular track in the series which you find more difficult?

Which hardware platform are you using?

If you're having trouble shifting, have you tried automatic?

To answer a few of your questions...

I only tuned the cars up with all the Engine mods and the racing muffler. I haven't actually tried the Eclipse but that will be the next on the list. To be honest, I think it could be the way I'm driving as I am fairly good at sliding 4WD and FR cars around corners and correcting them. I will try a racing suspension and racing tyres also and see what that does. I think the weight may be an issue with the cars, it's just that I haven't got enough money to do all the performance mods aswell as the suspension and the tyres.

By engine mods you do include turbo (or NA in some cases)?

Racing tires help you use the power to move the car forward, and allow you to corner faster. They easily save several whole seconds a lap even without power mods.

In GT1 FF cars can pretty much be "pulled" into a corner by their front wheels. I.e. the FF doesn't tend to induce a lot of understeer. In fact you can sometimes break the rear end away because of the (possibly incorrectly) simulated sideways pull of the front wheels. Have you tried the FF cars available in Arcade Mode? Bumps, etc, are different, but it gives you a general idea of how the FF is modeled.

One or two of the FF cars do have fairly severe turbo-lag on max turbo, if I recall correctly. But nothing like as bad as a Skyline GT-R

I don't MSN . . .

At this point I think you might as well repeat a couple more of the championships to give yourself more cash with which to experiment.

Sometimes WR1+WR2, or even just WR1, gets you a nice weight saving for a reasonably cheap price. (I.e. they model reduced marginal utility for WR3). But, all-in-all, racing tires will probably make the biggest difference to lap times, other than power mods.

But perhaps you do need to go and try to improve some of your license test times, to practise "slow-in, fast-out". E.g. B-6. (FTO at High Speed Ring esse). Perhaps try watching the correspond demo (in replay theatre--demos) to see "recommended technique".

Another good FF car is a Honda Prelude (all are pretty good; a slight advantage to the '94 VTEC, I think). So perhaps retry license test A-5 (Prelude at Grand Valley) also.

In GT1, tire wear only occurs in the three endurance races (which you haven't qualified for yet).

So for other races, the softest tires will be the best.

IIRC, buying racing tires is weird in GT1; I think you buy sets of "hard/soft" or "soft/soft", etc. So you want "soft/soft". Unless perhaps you want to try and save a few Cr1000 for other parts. Or possibly want to tweak handling through the tire choice.

Well I've been doing the XXvsYY races and accumulated quite alot of money to splash out on a FF car lol. I'm probably the only person on this forum that is going to spend an obscene amount of money just on a FF car lol.

Nah. Lots of people will use maxed cars for those events, to set "records" if nothing else.

I guess the GTO got you by the XXvsYY okay, but the FF is very different to control? (And also can't be ridiculously overpowered, although actually you probably only need a few mods to win the FF races after you've learned them; my notes indicate that in one particular game I used a Honda Civic 3dr'93 si with only Turbo1,WR1+2,semi-racing tires S/H, racing exhaust, chip and sport-brakes to win the FF series, and that wasn't minimal; I was just strategically leaving money to buy a car to win the Normal series; i.e I could probably have spent less, and won with a little less margin. Maybe.).

I did it last night with the Eclipse you recommended and it tore the competition up. Handles beautifully aswell. Also got the IA license for the first time ever. On the GT World Cup now in my newly Racing Modified GTO lol.

You should try some of the prizes you won in the XXvsYY series, if you haven't already. Their extra downforce makes up for their FR drivetrain in many cases. (And a couple of the prizes are 4WD in any case).

Also, you should attempt the Normal Series. Probably with a Dodge Viper to start. It's possible to win with GTO's and Skylines, but the only real shoe-in 4WD for that event is the Nismo 400R awarded for all golds in the IA license. The Vipers have enough speed to make up for their somewhat slidey handling. Besides, you've got a little used to it in the IA licenses tests anyway. (Although it has a couple of mods in those tests; not 100% normal).

And have you done the Mega-Speed series with the GTO yet?

I did it last night with the Eclipse you recommended and it tore the competition up. Handles beautifully aswell. Also got the IA license for the first time ever. On the GT World Cup now in my newly Racing Modified GTO lol.

I think the Eclipse and FTO are 2 of the best front-drive cars a beginner can pilot. In general, front-drive cars don't understeer nearly as much in GT1 like they do in later games.

Eclipse was spot on, seemed to turn itself into corners and use the bumps in the road to sling itself into corners, nifty little car, shame it's only useful for one event.

Back