FH1 to be free with Games With Gold

Then don't take a look at the Motorsport All-Stars Car Pack in Forza Horizon 3! :lol:

Nah, that doesn't have any racecars that tingle my Pringles. If it had an MC12 Corsa, I'd have a field day. But no.

Are the servers ever working? I bought the Season Pass for $4.99, but haven't been able to access the in game market place for 2 days now.

I was having the same issue. Suddenly, the servers started working and I was able to go online. So I bought the Season Pass, but all the DLC's still ask for payment. I had the Season Pass back in the 360 days, but the only DLC I was able to download was the December Pack. I did this prior to buying the Season Pass via XBone. After buying SP via XBONE, nothing changed - all DLC still costs.

Now servers aren't working again. Perhaps they're sorting these issues out.

Off topic but is the season pass worth it? Considering FH3 will come out later this month?
I got it because Rob simply wants every car available in every game.:lol: but it's a personal decision really.

Finally caught the message:

"Sorry. Your account is unable to make this type of purchase on Xbox.com. Please complete the transaction from your Xbox."

:odd: :odd: :odd:

Edit: bought it through 360 in the end and it's all good now.

Last edited:
Off topic but is the season pass worth it? Considering FH3 will come out later this month?

Season Pass finally seems to be working. Servers work for me, at least.

I prefer FH1 over FH2. The roads are more car friendly (the mountain road up to the observatory mimics a road I drive in my Datsun IRL,) the races are better suited for the choice of car, the cars sound better (in my opinion) and there are a lot of cars in there that FH2 (or FM5/FM6) don't have anymore.

For me, the $4.99 is totally worth it. Also - Horizon Rally.

VXR
I think I prefer the sounds and handling of this first game, too. Shame the lighting and colour palette are so warm.

FH1 seems to have a sort of 'innocence' to the way the cars handle. The handling of the cars in FH1 are much like the way cars 'handle' when a 7-year old is playing with Hotwheels toys. They slide, turn, accelerate and brake as if there's a child holding the cars in place.

When playing simulators, I know (from experience) where the brake markers are on a track or how far I can push a car in the turns. FH1 is an arcade game, and yet, I still 'know' how early I need to brake or how fast I can negotiate a turn - because I'm not listening to the driver in me; I'm listening to the child in me. The driver in me says "You need to brake now!" while the child in me says "Brake late and oversteer over through that dirt area before going flat out through the next turn!" And you know what? The child in me is always right.

In FH2, I don't know who to listen to anymore. Not only is the AI worse than an erection at a funeral, I can't seem to figure the handling out at all. If I listen to the driver in me, I'm not pushing the car as far as the game's handling allows and thus fall back in the race - and if I listen to the child in me, I'll end up going backwards, sideways and upside down right into a flock of trees. Honestly cannot solve the driving in the second one.

FH1 is like an ol' pair of sneakers. Sure the laces don't fit as tight and the color may have faded, but they slide on like slippers and brings you a sense of comfort that the new pair of sneakers can only dream of.

Fingers crossed for FM4 backwards compatibility...

and there are a lot of cars in there that FH2 (or FM5/FM6) don't have anymore.

Not only that, they were never in FM1-4 either. A bunch of cars made their grand debuts in FH1 and then got forgotten during the console generation change.

EDIT:
List of cars that only appear in FH1 and nowhere else in the Forza series:

2010 Alfa Romeo 8C Spider
2011 Alfa Romeo TZ3 Stradale Zagato
2011 Audi R8 GT Coupe
2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder
2013 BMW M135i (hatch)
2010 BMW M3 GTS
2012 BMW Z4 sDrive28i (all other Forzas use the 35i)
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
2011 Eagle Speedster
2011 Ferrari 458 Spider
2012 Ferrari 599XX Evoluzione
2010 Ford Focus RS500
2006 Ford GTX1
2012 Gumpert Apollo Enraged
2012 Honda HPD B-Spec Rally Fit
2006 Hummer H1 Alpha Open Top
2012 Lamborghini Aventador J
2012 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante
2009 Lamborghini Reventón Roadster
2012 Lexus LFA Nürburgring Edition
2012 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG
2012 MINI John Cooper Works Coupé (unicorn)
2012 Shelby 1000
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Last edited:
Anyone else having issues right now? "For some reason Horizon has taken too long to start (0x8027025a)":/

Edit: A restart seems to have solved it.👍

Last edited:
Not only that, they were never in FM1-4 either. A bunch of cars made their grand debuts in FH1 and then got forgotten during the console generation change.

Thanks for the list, @GroupB 👍

A lot of those are, quite frankly, open-top versions of cars we've seen in Forza before (The 458, R8, Vette, Lambos, etc.)

Some of those, however, were rather unique. I was delighted when I saw the Eagle Speedster in the game, for example. Was also really cool to have specialized versions of already awesome cars, like the M3 GTS, LFA Nurburg Ed., and the Shelby 1000.

I'm hoping FH3 pulls a FH1 in terms of car choices with the monthly DLC packs. Give us something unique to trash around in. Seeing as how the Horizon series is a 'not so discreetly' disguised rally open world game, it would be really nice to see some unique off roaders - like some of the planned Group S rally cars that were destined to be the successors to the insane Group B monsters.

Could you give some comparative examples? I'm intrigued by this thought.

I've barely played into it again, but I was impressed by the '10 Impreza's rumble and the Mustang Boss' V8. More than likely amped up like the 360 gen games tended to be, but also more in line with what you want to hear from that engine type.

Could you give some comparative examples? I'm intrigued by this thought.

FM4/FH1 had, in my opinion, the best engine sounds. Although many of the cars that followed in future games, especially those in FM5 and FM6, sounded crisper and more accurate, there's a brutal essence lingering in the sounds from the previous games.

If you think of current-gen Forza sounds as a dog, then FM4/FH2 is more like a Wolf - a less tame, more violent rendition. Cars also react to mods more accurately in older games. A high lift cam and straight piped exhaust on the Holden V8, for example, resulted in a gnarly idle and insane rumble. In the later games, such mods sound tame in comparison.

Well, I've never had FH before, just played a bit at my cousin's x360.

After playing FH2 for hours and hours and now FH1...

I'm finding FH1 better in some ways:

- map seems bigger, or feels bigger. (variety?)
- car selection have some really interesting ones missing in FH2 (F355 Challenge, F50GT, M135i, etc)
- races are more fun, better planned
- soundtrack have a better mood overall

I also found some effects I didn't notice on FH1, like when you are really high speeding on a car, there's a lot of wind noise and the car shakes a lot, feels more like speeding.

- map seems bigger, or feels bigger. (variety?)

I've noticed this too. When FH2's map was said to be twice as big as the original, I suppose that means twice as many areas you can drive on since off roading is limited in FH1. The scale of Colorado is still quite impressive!

FH1 seems to have a sort of 'innocence' to the way the cars handle. The handling of the cars in FH1 are much like the way cars 'handle' when a 7-year old is playing with Hotwheels toys. They slide, turn, accelerate and brake as if there's a child holding the cars in place.

When playing simulators, I know (from experience) where the brake markers are on a track or how far I can push a car in the turns. FH1 is an arcade game, and yet, I still 'know' how early I need to brake or how fast I can negotiate a turn - because I'm not listening to the driver in me; I'm listening to the child in me. The driver in me says "You need to brake now!" while the child in me says "Brake late and oversteer over through that dirt area before going flat out through the next turn!" And you know what? The child in me is always right.

In FH2, I don't know who to listen to anymore. Not only is the AI worse than an erection at a funeral, I can't seem to figure the handling out at all. If I listen to the driver in me, I'm not pushing the car as far as the game's handling allows and thus fall back in the race - and if I listen to the child in me, I'll end up going backwards, sideways and upside down right into a flock of trees. Honestly cannot solve the driving in the second one.

FH1 is like an ol' pair of sneakers. Sure the laces don't fit as tight and the color may have faded, but they slide on like slippers and brings you a sense of comfort that the new pair of sneakers can only dream of.

Fingers crossed for FM4 backwards compatibility...

Even though the Horizon games are tremendously fun to play, they will probably never offer the same deep and engaging driving experience as the FM games. Which is unfortunate, and I really don't think the devs at PG are willing to swing the other way.

FM4 has pretty good physics for a last generation console driving game. How do you like the physics in FM6? I'm somewhat on the fence; prefer F5's physics.

FM4/FH1 had, in my opinion, the best engine sounds. Although many of the cars that followed in future games, especially those in FM5 and FM6, sounded crisper and more accurate, there's a brutal essence lingering in the sounds from the previous games.

If you think of current-gen Forza sounds as a dog, then FM4/FH2 is more like a Wolf - a less tame, more violent rendition. Cars also react to mods more accurately in older games. A high lift cam and straight piped exhaust on the Holden V8, for example, resulted in a gnarly idle and insane rumble. In the later games, such mods sound tame in comparison.

AGREED! Good to hear that coming form a pro race driver. I wish T10 would reintroduce those brutal sounds, because in real life many of these high HP cars, especially after upgrades, sound loud, raw and "dirty". I couldn't believe how lame the SLS and Jag F-type sounded when I booted up F6 for the first time. Even the signature F40 seems to have gotten a royal screwjob. The F40 in F4.... oh mann....!

P.S: funny how the paid backward compatible games don't require CC/DB billing info and Horizon does!

Even though the Horizon games are tremendously fun to play, they will probably never offer the same deep and engaging driving experience as the FM games. Which is unfortunate, and I really don't think the devs at PG are willing to swing the other way.

FM4 has pretty good physics for a last generation console driving game. How do you like the physics in FM6? I'm somewhat on the fence; prefer F5's physics.

When the first FH was announced as a future project for the Forza series, I was originally disappointed in the possibility that the driving experience would be altered to match a more 'arcade' form of driving in the open world, similar to that of NFS. When I finally got the product, I realized how wrong I was.

People sometimes get surprised when I tell them the games that, in my opinion, nailed the driving experience are games like Forza Horizon, GRID 1, DriveClub and a few others. At that point, I could flash my racing log book at them and all my trophies and they'd still discredit my professional opinion on driving. But they fail to understand one very simple thing:

All racing games - even those that claim to be a "Simulator" - feel like arcade racing games to me. Keeping that in mind, the ones that are trying hard to be a Sim are just trying hard to be terrible at being arcade. Make sense?

Nothing compares to the real thing - not even close. Strap a WW2 Aviator into a "Simulator" where he sits in front of a TV screen with a joystick and a keyboard and ask him if that experience "simulates" the real thing. Of course it doesn't - and neither do racing games. Maybe someday they will, but we are far from it today.

That being said - the games that deliver the best driving experience, in my opinion, are the ones that are fully aware of the fact that they aren't "simulators" and instead alter the driving style of the game to maximize the amount of FUN the driving is, while still hammering down some essential factors to keep things grounded.

It's very difficult for me to explain it, but think of the R34 GTR - When the car came out, it was nicknamed the "PlayStation Car." Why is that? Because even though it was a REAL car, and it handled like a REAL car and it was a REAL thing rolling on REAL tires - it felt like a video game driving it. This is because of all the onboard computer wizardry keeping the car in check. That R34 GTR effect is what makes driving games, to me, so much fun - giving the illusion that it's real, but never trying hard to force you to believe the illusion itself. DriveClub does an AMAZING job at doing that. Cars look real, sound real, react real and tires lose grip very realistically - and yet you can drift a One:1 at kidney exploding speeds like it's nothing!

Everyone has different opinions on what makes a driving game fun. The ones that try too hard to be real always fail to deliver on their promise *cough* Project Cars *cough* and thus they never meet expectations. That's the burden of competing in motorsport on a professional level and being a highly devoted gamer - when a game promises perfection, I can't help but to see the faults; but when it promises meat and potatoes, I can't help but to stuff my face with it because I'm not expecting a fancy meal to begin with.

There have always been very few simulators that I would consider convincing enough as a simulation of real life physics. Not Gran Turismo, not Forza Motorsport, not even most PC sims.

I personally don't subscribe to the sentiment that simulators are never good enough due the fact that they'll never compare to the visceral experience of the real thing. Competent physics and visual feedback go a long way, even on a small screen with a gamepad. To me, properly realistic physics are also very fun and deliver a naturally enjoyable driving experience. It's just something that is very seldom executed well.

In my view, most serious sims/games seem to have trouble with things like understeer-biased handling, insufficient traction, or tire models that fall apart when put into high slip angles (ie. drifting isn't right). It has been this way for long enough that such handling is ingrained as "realistic"; excuses are made for it even if it's needlessly challenging or not as fun as it could be.

The ironic thing about Forza Horizon 1, in my humble opinion, is that its handling balance is ultimately the closest to reality of the Forza franchise. Obviously its exaggerated limits of traction and other concessions are far from realistic, but it enables you to initiate oversteer more naturally. Aerodynamics, suspension modelling, and weight transfer were also better than FM4. I was impressed by the perceptible lift at high speeds, and cars weren't quite so flawlessly composed and "samey" between disparate models. It's dynamic and relatively loose.

Unfortunately, from what I've played of FH2 -- only a limited amount of time with the XBone version, I admit -- it adopted a portion of the understeer-biased "realistic" handling of its Motorsport cousins. The irony of it is that I know people complained about the "arcadey" oversteer of FH1, yet the handling in FH2 is relatively tame and probably more accessible. It really isn't so difficult to initiate oversteer in real life, even in everyday roadcars ("tuned to understeer from the factory", as the inevitable counterpoint goes). I know how to kick out the tail of my Legacy; the friggin' Lancia Stratos is more reluctant to oversteer in Forza games.

In the end, I consider FH1 more of a simulator than some games that deem themselves "simulators", but it also doesn't take itself very seriously. In my view, that's why it feels like you've described, @TheCrazySwede.

When the first FH was announced as a future project for the Forza series, I was originally disappointed in the possibility that the driving experience would be altered to match a more 'arcade' form of driving in the open world, similar to that of NFS. When I finally got the product, I realized how wrong I was.

People sometimes get surprised when I tell them the games that, in my opinion, nailed the driving experience are games like Forza Horizon, GRID 1, DriveClub and a few others. At that point, I could flash my racing log book at them and all my trophies and they'd still discredit my professional opinion on driving. But they fail to understand one very simple thing:

All racing games - even those that claim to be a "Simulator" - feel like arcade racing games to me. Keeping that in mind, the ones that are trying hard to be a Sim are just trying hard to be terrible at being arcade. Make sense?

Nothing compares to the real thing - not even close. Strap a WW2 Aviator into a "Simulator" where he sits in front of a TV screen with a joystick and a keyboard and ask him if that experience "simulates" the real thing. Of course it doesn't - and neither do racing games. Maybe someday they will, but we are far from it today.

That being said - the games that deliver the best driving experience, in my opinion, are the ones that are fully aware of the fact that they aren't "simulators" and instead alter the driving style of the game to maximize the amount of FUN the driving is, while still hammering down some essential factors to keep things grounded.

It's very difficult for me to explain it, but think of the R34 GTR - When the car came out, it was nicknamed the "PlayStation Car." Why is that? Because even though it was a REAL car, and it handled like a REAL car and it was a REAL thing rolling on REAL tires - it felt like a video game driving it. This is because of all the onboard computer wizardry keeping the car in check. That R34 GTR effect is what makes driving games, to me, so much fun - giving the illusion that it's real, but never trying hard to force you to believe the illusion itself. DriveClub does an AMAZING job at doing that. Cars look real, sound real, react real and tires lose grip very realistically - and yet you can drift a One:1 at kidney exploding speeds like it's nothing!

Everyone has different opinions on what makes a driving game fun. The ones that try too hard to be real always fail to deliver on their promise *cough* Project Cars *cough* and thus they never meet expectations. That's the burden of competing in motorsport on a professional level and being a highly devoted gamer - when a game promises perfection, I can't help but to see the faults; but when it promises meat and potatoes, I can't help but to stuff my face with it because I'm not expecting a fancy meal to begin with.

👍👍

Does anyone know if there is a way to get/purchase 3 tokens (or more) when I only have FH1 on Xbox One (backwards compability) and not on XB360 anymore? No, I do not have a XB360 either anymore. :boggled:

Need the last 150 points on Forza Rewards to get to next tier. :rolleyes:

So I got 6 barn finds fairly quickly, I think the last one I found when I still had the blue wristband. I'm now up to the orange wristband, done a lot of street races and driven all but 16 roads and I have not had any new barn finds pop up since. Doesn't seem like it would be related to the end of life for the game. Is anyone else having this issue?

@M5_dude -- The barn finds seem to unlock based on your overall mileage and/or progress in the game, but you also apparently need to drive to the region of the map where the next barn find is located to trigger the announcement on the radio.

Barn find #7 is in Carson.
Barn find #8 is in Redfoot Ranch, and barn find #9 is in Beaumont.

Back