FIA considering closed cockpit F1 in the future?

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 664 comments
Extraction from the car in the case of a serious fire might be impeded by the halo, no? It doesn't look comfortable to climb over under pressure.

Extraction from the car in the case of a serious fire might be impeded by the halo, no? It doesn't look comfortable to climb over under pressure.

I guess that once it's a "fixed" feature it'll form part of the cockpit surround that the drivers can remove now? Wouldn't be easy though. That said, I've climbed out of a 2010 Force India and it really wasn't easy, even with an open cockpit.

The cynic in me wonders if the Ferrari system hasn't been designed in such a way as to create an advertising space. The massive Claro-themed triangle where the elements converge looks like it is bigger than it needs to be. To my mind, the whole thing could be slimmer, with the point of convergence smaller and higher above the driver's head. The two anchoring points either side of the driver's head could probably be closer to the driver and mounted further back, probably just behind the headrest.

What about the situation when a driver is unconscious, for example, and the doctors have to extract him together with the seat? Isn't the halo in the way then? Sure, you could implement some hinges so you can easily take it off but then you must wonder how much this will impair stabilty.

The cynic in me wonders if the Ferrari system hasn't been designed in such a way as to create an advertising space. The massive Claro-themed triangle where the elements converge looks like it is bigger than it needs to be. To my mind, the whole thing could be slimmer, with the point of convergence smaller and higher above the driver's head. The two anchoring points either side of the driver's head could probably be closer to the driver and mounted further back, probably just behind the headrest.

Looking at it, you might not be wrong here. On the other hand, the design Ferrari came up with was just a first test anyway, to see how the halo system works on a real car with a real driver in it. So why not create some space for your sponsors then?

Statistically the number of incidents where a driver might have been trapped by a canopy (fire, inversion etc) are far outweighed by the number of incidents where debris/cars have made it into the head enclosure.

My instinctive view remains that of the purist; open cockpits are The Formula. That said, I can see F1 going to closed cockpits so... yeah, just make them look cool :)
If the formula changed to that of closed cockpits, then it is no longer the current formula. As it is now, the current formula is vastly different from that of the formula from a decade ago.

So why not create some space for your sponsors then?
Because it potentially blocks vision. Sure, Räikkönen reports that "it's okay", but he has only tested it around Catalunya. What's it going to be like going up Eau Rouge? Or up Massanet? Or the approach to turn one at COTA? Or through the Old City in Baku? Or any other part of any other circuit with an elevation change or a feature - like the Old City - where the driver needs to be looking up?

Because it potentially blocks vision. Sure, Räikkönen reports that "it's okay", but he has only tested it around Catalunya. What's it going to be like going up Eau Rouge? Or up Massanet? Or the approach to turn one at COTA? Or through the Old City in Baku? Or any other part of any other circuit with an elevation change or a feature - like the Old City - where the driver needs to be looking up?

Well, it is a first test for the halo system. I'd imagine they were testing the fundamental things that the halo brings along. How much will the brace right in the middle block the driver's vision? How could it be mounted to the chassis? Can the driver get in and out of the car without further problems? How does it look on a real car? If the day comes that this system will become part of an F1 car, I am sure the halo will be designed in such a way that nothing hinders the driver's view, not when going up Eau Rouge and not when approaching turn 1 at COTA.
But right now, when on the one hand, you were testing the more basic things of the system and on the other hand, you can't check the up vision because there is simply no such occurence like Eau Rouge, it is no problem for me that Ferrari created some space to place a sponsor on it.

I can't see it being any worse than a closed canopy, in that situation. Who knows? Maybe it could aid the driver getting out, kinda like using it as a monkey bar to pull themselves up, and it could be used as a vault apparatus. I know it's a stretch, but it would be interesting to see some timed escapes with the thing.

The final design of the Halo is meant to be easily detachable, as seen in the Mercedes sketches with the front joint. So in any instance of possible impeded it'll be 'folded' up or removed entirely.

_85269820_mercedescockpitprotection.jpg

It won't be fitted the way Ferrari did this test version.

I don't like the halo one bit. There needs to be some danger in the sport, that's part of the reason it is so popular. The sport is becoming too sanatised. If they are going to proceed with the idea, I really hope that it will look a lot better than what we have just seen. I completely agree with what Hamilton and Hulkenburg said, also they need to hurry up with the final design and introduce it for the 2017 season. If the cars are going to dramatically change in 2017, lets just do it all in one go and get it over and done with. It may look weird at first, but we will get used to it.

Because we all watch to see if someone gets wanged in the head by an object on track. :rolleyes:
I never said that, I like the danger element, but I also understand that recent events mean something needs to be done, I just dont want it looking like that god awful thing that Ferrari made up.

Right, but protecting the driver's heads from being hit by possible flying objects, or stationary objects, doesn't eliminate the danger from the sport.

And it's a concept device for a reason.
Given that most of, if not all of the recent deaths in open wheel formula racing have been head injury related, it is the main danger that remains. I like the fact that Motorsport is dangerous and unpredictable. It is a concept device, but we haven't seen any alternatives and given that it will probably be pushed through soon, I hope they come up with something better looking

I'm not saying that it's the best solution either, and it most likely wouldn't have prevented the most recent deaths either.
Agreed. The sport can and will take preventive measures but there has also been a terrible run of bad luck recently. You go for years without a death, then they happen in relatively quick succession. Motorsport will always be dangerous I suppose, Sometimes it can be very cruel.

It wouldn't have helped Jules. His eventually fatal injury was caused by the rapid deceleration which would've happened no matter what. He could have been in an impenetrable fortress of a machine, that machine and his body would have still gone from high speed to zero almost instantly as it hit the tractor.

In fact it would likely have been worse as the car did take take a little of the impact and soften the deceleration ever so slightly, a more solid structure would've done nothing.

The other driver impacts it's really impossible to say because it depends entirely on specific circumstance.

I'm for an enclosed canopy. Alex Wurz says that's what he would prefer and he's head of GPDA. Hamilton is against the halo, but he said the canopy concepts looked cool. Lucas Di Grassi is probably the loudest voice for a canopy or nothing. Check his twitter for how vocal he is about this subject.

One tweet, about 20 tweets for a chance to win an Audi hat.
So you went through his 5,176 tweets? ;) I think if you actually followed him, he's been on the canopy side for a while now. His latest tweet on the subject was 4 days ago, but that's not his only one.

I like the idea of a fighter jet canopy, like the Red Bull X1. I mean, they use them in fighter jets for a reason, surely they'll be fine for F1.

I like the idea of a fighter jet canopy, like the Red Bull X1. I mean, they use them in fighter jets for a reason, surely they'll be fine for F1.

One would think they could make them work, I mean they are supposed to be some of the top engineers in the world. I guess what it comes down to at the root is what it always comes down to, the cost. Most of the chassis is going to need to be completely re-designed and they're going to need to research and develop solutions to the problems and potential problems that have been brought up. That isn't going to come cheaply, and the big hurdle IMO.

Cost, weight, aero, and more weight. The only things that matter (the same reason they cram engines into the cars with lack-luster cooling and are pissed when they overheat and stuff breaks or blows up).

Ferrari-testing.jpg

I feel this could catch a wheel of a flipped car and press against the head. Not talking about a wheel detached and loose but just a car rotating in the air which would otherwise pass the drivers head.

Seem to recall at least 3 incidents in the last 5 years in F1 where a driver has been close to getting hit by an airborne car. I think it's only a matter of time before someone's neck gets crushed so I think something should be done.

Another thing (perhaps someone can remember) but last season or the season before we had a car bounce and climb up towards the cockpit nose first. I can see if this happened again,this brace thing could actually direct the nose into the drivers helmet. Imagine the front of the car coming up at a narrow angle and instead of either passing the driver and hitting around the air intake or the underside hitting the car and bouncing away from harm, the nose will hit or glance off the underside and could send a large chunk straight to the visor.

The reason being that travelling at Mach1 without a canopy wouldn't be much fun ;)

There's a few photoshops/mockups of the halo design knocking about, but the video below is the best one I've seen so far, using a render of the Ferrari + halo in rFactor.

By the comparison images shown at the start of the video it seems reasonably close to the real thing. It gives you a good idea of what it'll look like on the onboard view, and from the TV cameras (not so much the driver's view, which looks a little too high in this video). Skip to 1:10 for onboard, 2:50 for driver's view and 4:30 for the TV cameras.

One interesting thing to note is from some of the TV camera angles, the helmet is largely obstructed from view. Not that this is a problem, since most drivers' helmet designs are crap and indistinguishable on TV anyway :P

Back