FIA GT3: The present of GT racing, the future of GT6?

• Thread starter SagarisGTB
  • 336 comments
freshseth83
Sorry, but that's wrong. GT300 is NOT restricted to '300hp'. Like I said, the FIA GT3 cars that run in the Super GT GT300 class use the same BOP (balance of performance) the FIA sets for these cars. JAF GT300 machines (CR-Z, BRZ, Prius) are given restrictor breaks to make more power this year. GT500 cars are as fast and faster than lmp2! GT3 wouldn't be anywhere close to their performance except in top speed. 👍

So a 500-600 HP corvette runs in the same class as a 300 HP brz?

Sorry, but that's wrong. GT300 is NOT restricted to '300hp'. Like I said, the FIA GT3 cars that run in the Super GT GT300 class use the same BOP (balance of performance) the FIA sets for these cars. JAF GT300 machines (CR-Z, BRZ, Prius) are given restrictor breaks to make more power this year. GT500 cars are as fast and faster than lmp2! GT3 wouldn't be anywhere close to their performance except in top speed. 👍

Are you sure?! Really?? I'm not doubting your knowledge cause you seem like a trackhead but I just have a hard time believe the GT500's would run faster than LMP2...

Whoa..

Thats right, but Corvette has not had great results. Goto http://www.supergt.net and check out the times at Fuji speedway and you can compare them to the FIA WEC times from last year. Pole for Fuji earlier this season in GT300 was 1:37.6xx by the Subaru BRZ. Pole last year in FIA WEC for GTE class was in the 1:40.2xx by the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR. Those cars are slightly slower than GT3.
Are you sure?! Really?? I'm not doubting your knowledge cause you seem like a trackhead but I just have a hard time believe the GT500's would run faster than LMP2...

Whoa..

Yup. Have a look at the website I linked to. Then have a look here- http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/ and go to 2012's race at Fuji. Pole position for lmp2 was in the 1:32's, while Pole position for GT500 this season was 1:31.040 by the Lexus SC430. Fastest lap was in the 1:33s. Keep in mind these cars are 1100kg stock before success ballast, 200+kg more than the 900kg lmp2 cars.

Certainly do. Look at the times from WEC Fuji last year and compare them to what the GT500 cars run. Remember, GT500 cars use engines that are similar to LMP1 engines (in Toyota's case the same engine), have generous wing restrictions and use sticky tires. GT500 cars are basically covered prototypes. DTM cars aren't far off either: try comparing DTM times with ADAC GT Masters times at Oschersleben or Hockenheim, the difference is huge.

Edit: Treed
The GT300 BRZ certainly does not have 300 hp, more like 450+ hp.

(But please leave that gaudy Miku Z4 out.)
Nonsense, the GSR Z4 is an annual contender in GT300. I don't much like the livery either, but it's a staple in the GT300 lineup, and it needs to be there if PD go the route of recreating GT300.
I'm hoping there's another livery (at least a stealth one) to that Z4 because it was never in the official FIA GT World Championship or Blancpain World Endurance Series... I really wish private teams were easier to work with.. Having the VITA 4 One BMW Z4 and ALL-Inkle mercedes would be awesome!
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but there's quite a few teams that run the Z4 GT3 this year. Off the top of my head, there's Marc VDS and Vit4one in BES; Marc VDS, Schubert, Walkenhorst, and H&R Spec. in VLN; that Brazilian team in FIA GT; GSR in Super GT (GT300) and probably many others that I'm forgetting or don't know about in regional/national GT series.

Last edited:
The engine is close to the lmp1 engines, but they run smaller restrictors, so slightly less power. Plus the lmp engines are more endurance oriented. SuperGT do have excellent tires. They last quite a bit as well, did half the race distance at Malaysia 2 weeks ago. This is somewhere I hope GT6 improves. The level of downforce these JAF GT300/500 cars make is amazing.

Yup. Have a look at the website I linked to. Then have a look here- http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/ and go to 2012's race at Fuji. Pole position for lmp2 was in the 1:32's, while Pole position for GT500 this season was 1:31.040 by the Lexus SC430. Fastest lap was in the 1:33s. Keep in mind these cars are 1100kg stock before success ballast, 200+kg more than the 900kg lmp2 cars.

Certainly do. Look at the times from WEC Fuji last year and compare them to what the GT500 cars run. Remember, GT500 cars use engines that are similar to LMP1 engines (in Toyota's case the same engine), have generous wing restrictions and use sticky tires. GT500 cars are basically covered prototypes. DTM cars aren't far off either: try comparing DTM times with ADAC GT Masters times at Oschersleben or Hockenheim, the difference is huge. The GT300 BRZ certainly does not have 300 hp, more like 450+ hp.

All very interesting guys!👍 I don't follow Super GT because I like understanding commentary :P.

So... how come in GT5 the GT300 cars would get blown away by the R8 LMS Team Playstation race car or the black livery ones? Were they different tunes for the Nurburgring? or is the game just inaccurate?

The cars in GT5 are all older GT300 cars that ran in the range of 350 hp. The JAF GT300 class cars got a big bump in power for 2012 coinciding with the GTA allowing GT3 cars into the class. JAF GT300 cars needed the extra power to keep up with the incoming GT3 cars. GT500 cars also got a power boost in 2012 to remain sufficiently quicker than the lower class.

Those cars in GT5 are all older GT300 cars that ran in the range of 350 hp, the newer cars got a big bump in power for 2012 coinciding with the GTA allowing GT3 cars into the class. JAF GT300 cars needed a power bump to keep up. GT500 cars also got a power boost in 2012 to be sufficiently quicker than the lower class.

Hmm.. that's a bummer because I like how those GT300's race overall. Easy beginner race cars 👍 too bad they didn't just restrict the GT3s down.. oh well.

They are about two seconds or so faster than they were a couple years back. They were making close to 400hp, but now they definitely make more. But the increase in power also came with a weight increase. The 300s are now around 1150-1200kg.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but there's quite a few teams that run the Z4 GT3 this year. Off the top of my head, there's Marc VDS and Vit4one in BES; Marc VDS, Schubert, Walkenhorst, and H&R Spec. in VLN; that Brazilian team in FIA GT; GSR in Super GT (GT300) and probably many others that I'm forgetting or don't know about in regional/national GT series.

Just commenting on the fact that private teams liveries don't seem like they'll be added into GT6. I'm aware of the teams in the FIA GT World and Blancpain Endurance Series. Just hope PD give us something other than the BMW - BMW livery Z4... if that makes sense? Just throwing a stealth model in there would mix it up!

Just commenting on the fact that private teams liveries don't seem like they'll be added into GT6. I'm aware of the teams in the FIA GT World and Blancpain Endurance Series. Just hope PD give us something other than the BMW - BMW livery Z4... if that makes sense? Just throwing a stealth model in there would mix it up!
Thanks for clearing that up, you do have a fair point. I think a livery editor would make this problem redundant, but for now assuming there wont be one, you're right, a stealth car would surely be better than nothing. 👍
It's still possible PD could add another Z4 GT3 with a private team livery (afterall, we are getting the R8 LMS ultra and GTR GT3 with a phoenix livery and a Schulze livery respectively, and in GT5 the R8 LMS came in both a blank standard livery and the Playstation livery), but I wouldn't count on it either. PD aren't known for supplying multiple liveries for cars, nor for fleshing out racing classes.

He is correct.

Guys there is a plus side to having more GT3 cars = they're effectively GTE cars with less power and downforce, so providing we get any or all of the following: Corvette, Z4 (races in ALMS), new Viper, 458 Italia or Aston Martin Vantage, we more or less have the two classes in one, providing we can tune them up and add downforce.

Guys there is a plus side to having more GT3 cars = they're effectively GTE cars with less power and downforce, so providing we get any or all of the following: Corvette, Z4 (races in ALMS), new Viper, 458 Italia or Aston Martin Vantage, we more or less have the two classes in one, providing we can tune them up and add downforce.

In 2014, the GTE regulations for Le Mans will basically morph into the current GT3 regulations (maybe with minor enhancements), so the GT3 cars would be even closer to what will be seen in the GT-class in Le Mans next year.

In 2014, the GTE regulations for Le Mans will basically morph into the current GT3 regulations (maybe with minor enhancements), so the GT3 cars would be even closer to what will be seen in the GT-class in Le Mans next year.

Nothings been decided yet, this is why BMW RLR from ALMS and McLaren didn't accept their invitational entries, they need to decide regs FAST, otherwise they're faced with disillusioned teams leaving for Blancpain Endurance just like one or two seasons ago.

In the current spec, not necessarily. From what I read and hear, GT3 cars are actually faster then GTE cars.

Let's just hope for 4 new GT3 cars we've been given all compete with each other and the AI don't race a stale, straight line "best car always wins", circuit!

I don't want races where the race is decided before it begins.

1. GTR
2. Audi
3. BMW
4. SLS

That order of cars could get pretty boring. It's like that in GT5 right now.. before the race even begins you can predict who's going to finish where..

EDIT: On another note... isn't the Gillet Vertigo an FIA car? GT1 maybe? I wish they would fix that cars in-game performance to make it more realistic. Even if they brought it down to GT3 spec, it would fit the crowd well.

Last edited:
Because I was in the mood for doing so.
Ok now have an internet cookie.
cookies.jpg

EDIT: On another note... isn't the Gillet Vertigo an FIA car? GT1 maybe? I wish they would fix that cars in-game performance to make it more realistic. Even if they brought it down to GT3 spec, it would fit the crowd well.

The Gillet can be consider a GT3 car although it didn't make the production numbers for the car to run in the championship. But the Gillet is being used as a base for the VDS GT 001-R that ran in the Dubai 24 this year.

2013_VDS_GT001R-0-1536.jpg

Back