First impressions PC2

• Thread starter jonyvf
  • 267 comments
I've tried all of the FFB presets as well as my own custom and and other customs. Finally I was able to get it to tighten up on some of the most troublesome cars but then of course it is to tight on others. IMO the changes to the FFB from PCars1 is a major step backwards. Yes PCars1 was tricky to figure out and configure but it worked well when set properly and gave you more options.

I was excited for PCars 2 after playing PCars 1 but now that I have had a chance to drive it I am looking forward to FM7 next week. I'll likely play PCars 2 on and off over the next few days then move to Forza. Probably come back to PCars at some point hopefully they get a few things ironed out by then.

I'm sure that SMS will make some improvements/adjustements with the force feed back in next weeks... Or maybe someone here could find an improved FFB base setting to begin with...

In the other hand, a good thing is that you can configure (temporaly if you want) some buttons for increasing/decreasing the three or four FFB settings on the fly while driving that's a time saver in order to find a good FFB setup.

Overall impressions..Great update to the original 9/10 :cheers:👍

Well I now have a little update after another hour spent on the game. The engineer/Spotter audio in the race is now working and found I had to set a Custom Race by 'Genre' to get this working. Edit:Fixed! :D :I still have no filters or settings working on Photomode (PS4Pro Digital) on the second screen (square) for some strange reason but will work on this or wait for a patch.
I have not tried the wheel set up yet and have been concentrating getting my controller to my liking with smooth inputs as I found the standard set up too twitchy/sensitive. I have used that video to completely overhaul my controller settings and this works great and so much better and transformed the driving now and how I like the controller. I advise anybody who is still finding the cars a handful to try these settings. (Video).

But overall I am very impressed by the game, the car interiors, the skybox and Live track weather, the wind blowing the snow and rain, the puddles and especially the fantastic Audio. The team have done a great job revamping the engines and sounds. The engines now sound deeper and more realistic and better volume levels (fantastic). I tried a mixture of cars and they all sound so good now! :bowdown:

^^^^ I took the La Ferrari out, spun on the grass of course! (this car is a handful) and stopped. I noticed with Live track 3.0 the tyres were now green from the grass!.. How cool is that! @The_American Is this something programmed in on all surfaces?

P.s Nürburgring (Nordschleife) in a Blizzard is Awesome! :drool::bowdown:

Last edited:
First impression for me using my cheapo Logitec Pro is WOW. I tried the Ford mk1 around Long Beach and I loved it. The road cars feel more like real cars on real tires to me. It's the way the car slides. And the sounds are gorgeous. I'm a little overwhelmed trying everything out. I wasn't expecting the game to be so different.

I also have i7+1080ti combo in VR. What's your supersampling setting? I tried 1.2.
I tried 1.5 but was getting some small stutter when sun rays were shining through the clouds so I’m going to need to do some tweaking to get a constant FPS.

And yeah sliding the cars is awesome. You can really feel all for tyres under your car interacting with the road surface.

Project Cars 2 is going to separate the men from the arcade boys. The game is so real life. You need to be more precise in real life than you do in a video game - normally. If you can be smooth with your inputs and be consistent at being precisely on the fast line, you'll be quick. Just like in real life, there are small increments of gain or loss depending upon how well you hit your marks.

The game felt so real and I was concentrating so hard that my heart rate went up, just like when racing the Miata at Mid Ohio. I had the sensation that if I screwed this up, I was going to crash hard and risk getting hurt. I am so loving this game. This is the "Real Raing Simulator."

If that really is the case, then all my other issues with the game are moot as that is a definite deal breaker. Wheel vibration ads immensly to the imerssion for me at least, and the lack of it sticks out especially when my other sims have it.
Literally lol. You won’t buy the game because they decided not to include a canned ffb effect so that the more subtle real ffb effects wouldn’t be lost? What can be more immersive than feeling what you should through the steering wheel?

Loving it so far although only driven the Ginetta jnr. Not sure if a bug or I just cannot find it, but as with all racing games, as soon as I have driven a car I take it to the 'Ring on time trial. Done a few laps and tried to compare with other drivers laps using same car but couldn't find anywhere to filter the car used. The Ginetta just cannot keep up with the Porsche at the top of the leaderboard. Does anyone know a way to filter?

Many thanks.

It's very odd that you have to increase the final drive and gear ratios in order to get more acceleration and lower them for more top speed. Goes against all my principles! Haha.

But there's my pro tip: raise the values to hit those high gears, don't lower them unless you're somewhere with very long straights.

After waiting for for months and getting excited to play this game, once i started playing it was quite the dissapointment to say the least.

- The handling is worse then the final patched PC1 handling.
I went back to PC1 after a few hours with PC2 and it felt better actually.. well, i could at least keep the cars on the track without spinning out every corner!
I tried improved settings via a nice YouTube link, it got a bit better.. talked to my engineer and fiddled around with the settings myself. However, i could simply not keep the car on the track and the worse thing of all is that the AI can find grip in corners where i could never find grip at all. I tried warming up the tires, i tried assists on (which makes the car even stiffer and more numb) and the whole physics engine seems off. There are a few cars who i can handle, but most of the cars spin out with ease for no apperent reason it seems.

- The AI is horrible.
What a dissapointment this one is. After PC1 you would have thought that in PC2 the AI would be at least better right? wrong.
The AI is a mess right now. With the famous first corner pileups to just driving into you like you are simply not on the track! Also, AI is way too hard on some tracks, and way too easy on others with the same AI settings (difficulty and agressiveness).. very inconsistent! Once again i tried the AI settings, put them on easy and on non-agressive and they still just drive into the back of me like i am not on the track.. forcing me to go into the pits for a repair. which brings me to my next point.

No pit crew?
Yikes.. again something you would think would have been improved over PC1 where no pitcrew was available right? Nope.. i think i have seen the pit crew once on a track i can't remember, and since then they walked away and never returned. No matter what track i try, auto pistop on or off, announcing that i want to pit or not, they are gone.. gone. Quite a bug.

Dynamic weather is nice.. But the AI has knowledge i don't have
Another bug it seems. Me on Monza, formula C with 16 other cars.. completely dry and no cloud to be seen.
But wait what? The AI cars are equipped with full wet tires. Hah, this time i could win a race because they would not be able to drive well on those compared to my new slicks right?
Wrong.. they set record lap times while i am once again battling my car and not the AI.
Later on it started raining.. how convenient for AI, they needed not to pit and could just carry on at the same pace, on their rain tires, just like they did in the dry.

A restart is not really a restart
So by now i must have crashed a Thousand times allready.. if you have car damage on and you restart the game after a crash with damage.
The damage is not undone by the restart.. sigh.

Adjusting the HUD is bugged
Don't even try setting HUD info on or off, some things are now permanently set on my screen and no matter what i try, it will stay there. ("Estimated time" on the left center of the screen).

Sluggish menus

the menus are sluggish and slow.. coming back to the menus from a race i have to wait 5 seconds before i can even do anything. Minor perhaps, but very annoying nevertheless.

I am not going to mention smaller bugs like how the pit engineer can't be set via your tv or soundset, but it is always through my DS4 speaker. Car flipping over landmines on the track, or how all the trees on the nurburgring became a white mess following me forcing me to restart, qualifying does not work all the time.. no matter what position you achieved you start the race as last.. all relatively minor bugs i could live with.. but the above mentioned ones make this a very unpleasant experience and i will never buy another SMS game come launch day.
I even started to wonder if my copy was bugged, but i see more and more people complaining about the game's handling and bugs so "thankfully" i am not the only one.

I will try again today, re-install the game and see if it gets better or not.. i will update this thread to keep the bugs coming.. i want to help, but i did not want to become a beta tester for just 60 euros.

In the first two hours playing I've lapped a Ginetta Jnr round Knockhill, then with the Megane RX but in the snow, mucked about around DirtFish, taken the Panoz GTR-1 through day and night at historic Spa, learned I can't brake an Indycar at Long Beach to save my life, and done a quick rallycross race at Lydden in the Group A Skyline.

The sense of freedom and diversity in the game is better than I could have ever imagined. For me this is living proof that racing games should never, ever, ever go back to the ways of arbitrarily padlocking content + grinding for it, limited options/restrictions on gameplay by design, and fixed/static environments. Not to get caught up the moment, but on console at least this has to be the best motorsport sandbox ever created.

@IanBell @The_American + the rest of SMS, for your efforts you get a thumbs up and a 'Well Done' gold card (~15 year old primary school award, very prestigious). Bravo. :)

wl4zcjk.jpg

Last edited:
First impressions are ffb is awful with T300 on PS4. Pcars 1 Oulton Park felt great and you could feel every little bump on the road. Played 2 races last night each 8 laps at Oulton in the Megane Touring car and those bumbs were hardly there! Very numb sensation no matter the flavour...really disapointing.

First impressions are ffb is awful with T300 on PS4. Pcars 1 Oulton Park felt great and you could feel every little bump on the road. Played 2 races last night each 8 laps at Oulton in the Megane Touring car and those bumbs were hardly there! Very numb sensation no matter the flavour...really disapointing.
Try changing the FFB flavour in the control options. Raw doesn't seem to be too good for the T300.

Try changing the FFB flavour in the control options. Raw doesn't seem to be too good for the T300.
Tried all 3...RAW is what sms choose by default for the T300 but like you i didnt think it worked well compared to the other two which were better but still no Pcars 1 at Oulton (the only track with greatffb on pcars1)

Will try other cars today im hoping the touring car is the problem rather than the ffb but these are my first impressions and not good!

Tried all 3...RAW is what sms choose by default for the T300 but like you i didnt think it worked well compared to the other two which were better but still no Pcars 1 at Oulton (the only track with greatffb on pcars1)

Will try other cars today im hoping the touring car is the problem rather than the ffb but these are my first impressions and not good!

Try to put steering deadzone to 0 and FF to 80
Works good for me
And try immersive or informative

Theres also one slider that you actually have to lower in order to feel more road details. Can't remember which one off the top of my head. Have a read of the descriptions. Might just be the car though as you say.

I have to wait until tuesday to get my hands on the game and watching all this people reviewing and having fun with the game is so painful.
**** you Amazon, why did you mess up the delivery of my copy?! 🤬:banghead:

Overall impressions..Great update to the original 9/10 :cheers:👍
But overall I am very impressed by the game, the car interiors, the skybox and Live track weather, the wind blowing the snow and rain, the puddles and especially the fantastic Audio. The team have done a great job revamping the engines and sounds. The engines now sound deeper and more realistic and better volume levels (fantastic). I tried a mixture of cars and they all sound so good now! :bowdown:

Reading this makes me realize that I have a bugged version of the game. It is simply not possible to have my game and your game so many miles apart. The audio of my Xbox version is absolutely deplorable and sounds nothing like what you are describing.

The balance of audio here is shocking. Some cars have next to no audio at all- 488GT3, Mclaren 650 Gt3 etc. I also need to turn my television up to 60 to even hear the engine noise. If I played Pcars 1 on that volume I would destroy half the neighborhood. And I have just noticed that if I drive the car in the wet I hear 95% rain noise and only 5% engine sound.

I have forward my problems to SMS on the official forums so fingers crossed this gets sorted out.

Reading this makes me realize that I have a bugged version of the game. It is simply not possible to have my game and your game so many miles apart. The audio of my Xbox version is absolutely deplorable and sounds nothing like what you are describing.

The balance of audio here is shocking. Some cars have next to no audio at all- 488GT3, Mclaren 650 Gt3 etc. I also need to turn my television up to 60 to even hear the engine noise. If I played Pcars 1 on that volume I would destroy half the neighborhood. And I have just noticed that if I drive the car in the wet I hear 95% rain noise and only 5% engine sound.

I have forward my problems to SMS on the official forums so fingers crossed this gets sorted out.
I feel for you man. I'm reading some of the things people are saying about the game and thinking, 'what is wrong with these people.' Many of the complaints I am seeing just don't tally with my experience of the Xbox or PC version of the game. Particularly people complaining about the handling and ffb. There is either something wrong with their game, hardware or they don't know what they are talking about.

You may have already tried this but maybe uninstall and then reinstall the game and see if that helps.

Loved it out of the box, even tho my wheel didn't act like I wanted. Now it's dialled in.... oh my god.... the joy of racing the GT3RS in winter over the NOS :drool:

T500RS with the 8A Shifter, Fanatec Handbrake and buttkicker.... orgasmic :crazy:

Question :

Why even with TC off in Menus, do I still have to redo it on every single car in the tune menu (ECU) where it needs to be at 100% to be off. It starts on all the cars with 10% (lower means more... because logic)

First time I've requested a refund for a game from Steam since No Man's Lie.

4 hours played and my initial excitement has been replaced by frustration and annoyance. Career mode completely unplayable as it stands (which is all I usually do), so all I can do is time trials. That's an exercise in futility since the controls are so inconsistent.

Car 1: No brakes, no brakes, no brakes... ALL THE BRAKES (spin out).
Car 2: Barely touch the pedal... ALL THE BRAKES (spin out).
Car 3: What brakes?
(you get the idea)

Can't get any kind of rhythm going at all, it's driving me insane. Tried all manner of settings and nothing really seems to make a difference.
Loaded up PC1 and was flying around Sonoma and Nordschleife like a hero. FFB is solid and responsive, cars brake and accelerate predictably.
I appreciate that PC2 has only just been released and will be patched but why was it even released with an unplayable career mode? Surely someone tested that "skip to end of session" button before the release date? I'm not prepared to wait for glaring issues to be fixed.

/rant

Last edited:

4 hours played and my initial excitement has been replaced by frustration and annoyance. Career mode completely unplayable as it stands (which is all I usually do), so all I can do is time trials. That's an exercise in futility since the controls are so inconsistent.

(you get the idea)

Can't get any kind of rhythm going at all, it's driving me insane. Tried all manner of settings and nothing really seems to make a difference.
Loaded up PC1 and was flying around Sonoma and Nordschleife like a hero. FFB is solid and responsive, cars brake and accelerate predictably.
I appreciate that PC2 has only just been released and will be patched but why was it even released with an unplayable career mode? Surely someone tested that "skip to end of session" button before the release date? I'm not prepared to wait for glaring issues to be fixed.

/rant
This is what's weird to me. I haven't played the game yet, I may pick it up down the road. It's like people either absolutely love the game, or think it's terrible. I've only read a couple people say "meh, it's alright".

(you get the idea)

/rant
Can only play a game for under 2 hours and get a Steam refund.

I've played a few seasons of the career on both Xbox and PC and that is not my experience of the game.

here are my first impressions of project cars 2.
The graphics: guys, what happened with the graphics on standard PS4? Project cars 1 has beautiful graphics but Project cars 2 is ugly on PS4. I hope that a great improvement will come soon.

Theres also one slider that you actually have to lower in order to feel more road details. Can't remember which one off the top of my head. Have a read of the descriptions. Might just be the car though as you say.
Yeah i think it was the 3rd last one you lower it to feel road surface more but the extra feel was minmal and no where near PCars1 levels and if its bad at Oulton Park i dread to think how bad it is everywhere else.

Sadly had a few beers now and wedding tomorrow so next week until i can get back on.

Back