FITT M Power Challenge - Mystery Solved - Congratulations to the Winners

Discussion in 'GT6 Tuning' started by shaunm80, May 28, 2015.

1. biffa3

biffa3

Good times and great feedback. Great to see some new blood, hope you stick around.

With regards to the other points being made, I still think it's all about the tune fitting the driver. Only I can drive the way I drive, so it stands to reason that I will be quickest in a tune that suits me, regardless of the lap time produced by the tuner.

The difference in wheel time vs DS3 time on GT5 was around 2 seconds (not counting aliens), for me, and I think it's roughly the same in GT6. Could this be the reason @Voodoovaj times are different.

2. coryclifford

coryclifford

Funny cause I tried to make my BMW appeal to more people rather than suite me perfectly this time around.

3. Otaliema

Otaliema

Well depending on how you went about it that can be good or bad time will tell iif you made the right choices :tup:

Bowtie-muscle and fordracer like this.
  4. ImToLegitToQuit

ImToLegitToQuit

seriously ?! M cars at the track that I used for testing my tunes ?!?!?! you guys are lucky, that's all i'm saying lol :cheers:

5. Otaliema

Otaliema

Do a one event come back tour!

6. Bowtie-muscle

Bowtie-muscle

This is right up your alley, your missed in this one.

7. brian wolf

brian wolf

@ALB123 Well done for getting stuck in! Great Job testing and welcome to the world of FITT challenges! :cheers::tup:

TurnLeft, fordracer, ALB123 and 3 others like this.
  8. Otaliema

Otaliema

@ALB123 results input.
    Updated rankings.

GP/F Lap Time Podium
    1 Tuner #3 2:06.685 +00.000
    2 Tuner #11 2:6.855 +0.170
    3 Tuner #14 2:07.129 +0.444
    4 Tuner #7 2:7.5975 +0.912
    5 Tuner #16 2:08.355 +1.670

Drivers Choice Podium
    1 Tuner #3 9.65
    2 Tuner #11 9.50
    3 Tuner #2 9.48
    4 Tuner #10 9.18
    5 Tuner #14 9.05

Fastest Lap at GP/F
    2:06.488; Tuner #11's tune Driven By @shaunm80

9. ALB123

ALB123

I drive with a Logitech Driving Force GT attached to a horribly flimsy folding table. It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

Actually, I thought about how it is a little unfair to the first couple of cars that I drive, so I came up with a plan. I randomly picked the order in which I was going to drive the cars before I tested anything. Then I drove the first two cars in my list back to back, about 5-6 laps each. I didn't count those laps - I just used them as a warm up. Those two cars were then moved to the bottom of my testing list.

I completed all testing in one day. It was a LONG day. At first, I was saving replays for all of the cars. After about three or four cars I started to save only the best lap replay. After driving each car I would input the best lap time into a crude Excel spreadsheet along with some notes and a D.C. score. Occasionally, when I needed a break I would re-watch the replay/best lap replay in my regular driving view to double-check if I missed anything like understeering or oversteering issues, or strange handling - something to refresh my memory.

10. shaunm80

shaunm80

Thats very thorough. Not a bad system and a good way to get track knowledge before testing for official lap times. :)

11. steefpeef

steefpeef

woow, i like your dedication and approach!

you know, the lap-times are one thing,
    the feel of the car on the track another...

i took some of the tunes to the touring-car championship in a spec,
    i think international b... you could run them again, judge them again and compare...
    it takes 10 minutes per car... so another 3 hours hard work... with loading times
    i tell you it is big fun actually racing them,
    against idiots in touring-cars with racing tires...

12. Otaliema

Otaliema

thats one of the best ways to test a car IMO, if it can be fast when off line it will be really fast in line.

13. xande1959

xande1959

Welcome great job. fantastic tunings should give pleasure to test. next event will try to expose my driver skills. Thank you.

fordracer, ALB123, Otaliema and 4 others like this.
  14. ugabugaz

ugabugaz

I think it would be an interesting comparison to see how cars handle tuned versus how they are stock. By stock I mean stock suspension/aero/LSD with custom Power Parts +Tranny & Weight Loss (So Equal PP). Would give a more accurate idea of how the car really handles, versus how well a tuner did.

15. shaunm80

shaunm80

Thats an interesting idea. Seen as you suggested it, would you like to give it a go? :sly:

16. steefpeef

steefpeef

psst...

i think you revealed the mystery tuner

17. xande1959

xande1959

great idea. to put more fuel to the fire that this two tire compounds in the same setup. already seen it at an event

18. DolHaus

DolHaus

I'm not sure I understand the concept?

fordracer and Otaliema like this.
  19. Otaliema

Otaliema

That's how I used to do DC apply parts and weight drive 5 laps put the tune on and drive ten laps and rate starting at 5 and going up or down based on changes.

fordracer, Bowtie-muscle and TurnLeft like this.
  20. Otaliema

Otaliema

image.jpg
    And? :lol: I have the mats to make a stand I just lack the time.

21. coryclifford

coryclifford

Nice pedal tilter. I use the baseboard moulding.

image.jpg

fordracer, shaunm80 and Otaliema like this.
  22. Otaliema

Otaliema

Thanks I need to figure out something else it's hard on my braking foot. the pedal is up too high and the pillow gives so I get squish so it messes with my braking a bit.

fordracer and shaunm80 like this.
  23. Voodoovaj

Voodoovaj

OMG, I used to have those same TV trays!

I use a DS3. I like lounging on my sofa too much to make the shift to the wheel, plus I need to find a place that's out of the way, and that would require a whole new set up (PS3, TV, etc).

It might be interesting, after all of this, to have a challenge where the tuner sets a time and then the testers try to match. It might be a way to expand everyone's skill level in driving and tuning.

For instance, I find not many people realize that ABS 1 doesn't actually stop lockup. It just diminishes lock up. So, if you are on the brakes 100% at the apex, you will most likely push wide. Going 100% at the beginning of the braking process and easing up as you approach the corner, shortens braking distance significantly. I use this in Turtle League races all the time to avoid getting passed on corner entry, or to make a pass on corner entry. I get almost a car length less stopping distance.

The F40 is a great car to showcase this. It's stock brakes are essentially the racing brakes that other cars have, so when you upgrade the brakes, you push wide all over the place.

Maybe an event like this it could evolve into a group tune, like a crowd sourced tune.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    fordracer, shaunm80 and Otaliema like this.
  24. Otaliema

Otaliema

well think it out and try to come up with rules for an event like that and post it in the main FITT thread.

fordracer and Bowtie-muscle like this.
  25. DaBomm4

DaBomm4

FITT M Power Challenge Reviews By DaBomm4

All testing done at Nürburgring GP/F, with ABS 1, no other aids, grip set to real, DS3.

Tuner #1 - M3 Chrome Line
    Lap Time: 2:09.973 DC: 7
    Comments: This tune seems to understeer at the strangest times, my first few laps were fine, then I couldn't stay on the track at all, finally my last 2 laps were mostly ok again.

Tuner #2 - M4 Coupe
    Lap Time: 2:09.669 DC: 8.5
    Comments: Slow speeds suffer from understeer, rear can break loose if you try hard enough. Transmission feels a little short.

Tuner #3 - M3 GTR
    Lap Time: 2:08.568 DC: 9.0
    Comments: Great acceleration out of the corners and on the straights, brakes also were very nice, I feel like I must not be attacking the corners right with this tune because it feels like it wants to go faster through the corners.

Tuner #4 – M3 '07
    Lap Time: 2:09.459 DC: 7.5
    Comments: The handling to weight shifting felt weird to me. The tune could benefit from more power rotation also.

Tuner #5 - 135i Coupe
    Lap Time: 2:10.184 DC: 8.5
    Comments: Some oversteer off-throttle and easy to spin the wheels up made this tune fun to throw around the track, drifting wise. Add some careful throttle control and it was easy to get a decent laptime out of it. It felt like the transmission was out of the powerband at the end of the long straights.

Tuner #6 – M3 '07
    Lap Time: 2:09.335 DC: 8.0
    Comments: Mild understeer, but nothing a little power oversteer can't solve.

Tuner #7 - M3 CSL
    Lap Time: 2:08.593 DC: 8.75
    Comments: Great handling, very hard to break the rear tires loose. Transmission is unique, a little adjustments and I would like the whole tune better.

Tuner #8 – M3 Chrome Line
    Lap Time: 2:10.184 DC: 7.5
    Comments: The transmission doesn't feel quite right to the track for me, and it is easy to loose the rear end.

Tuner #9M4 Pace Car Edition
    Lap Time: N/A DC: N/A
    Comments: This was the smoothest ride of all of the cars, but the pit crew can only go so fast when there is no motor in the car. :sly: Life comes first. :bowdown:

Tuner #10 – M4 Coupe
    Lap Time: 2:09.304 DC: 8.75
    Comments: A little off-throttle understeer in slow corners, agressive cornering gets good rotation.

Tuner #11 - M3 CSL
    Lap Time: 2:09.305 DC: 8.5
    Comments: Easy to get on the power early but will still break loose if you want to.

Tuner #12 – M4 Performance Edition
    Lap Time: 2:10.048 DC: 7.75
    Comments: The whole car has some understeer and the little power oversteer I can achieve is not enough to rotate the car the way I like. A little more work on the front and I think it would rotate to my liking better.

Tuner #13 - M3 Chrome Line
    Lap Time: 2:10.267 DC: 8.75
    Comments: Easiest of the Chrome Line's to get use to, no real down sides to the tune.

Tuner #14 - M3 CSL
    Lap Time: 2:09.549 DC: 8.25
    Comments: Feels really nice, slippery when you want it, control when you don't.

Tuner #15 – M4 Performance Edition
    Lap Time: DC:
    Comments: Hmmm.

Tuner #16 – M4 Coupe
    Lap Time: 2:10.433 DC: 8.0
    Comments: Safe tune. To be fast with this tune, I found I had to throw the weight around and get the rear tires to break loose a little to get enough rotation. There is a little bit too much understeer for my taste.

Tuner #17 - M3 GTR
    Lap Time: 2:10.316 DC: 8.5
    Comments: This tune was an odd one for me, if I tried to push for a good lap I would get understeer and/or power oversteer, if I tried to take the dog for a Sunday walk around the park, faster, cleaner laps.

Tuner #18 – M3 GTR
    Lap Time: 2:09.165 DC: 9.0
    Comments: Feels very good, every once in a while I noticed a little understeer, but there is always power oversteer available to get you out of (or into) trouble.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  26. ugabugaz

ugabugaz

@Voodoovaj

I found ABS=4 to be a really good combo for me, but since it's not allowed in the competition, I didn't pursue it further.

fordracer, Bowtie-muscle and Otaliema like this.
  27. shaunm80

shaunm80

Thanks for the review. I am happy enough with your comments. Consistent times as well. :)

28. coryclifford

coryclifford

Thanks yo, you da bomb. :lol::tup:

I like the mentions of whether wheel or DS3. Having recently switched over to a wheel it's interesting to me to read the comments about my set ups. Takes a lot more effort and time to move the wheel around than it does with the controller.

29. Otaliema

Otaliema

Thank for feedback. Glad you enjoyed it...or did you...

It is a pace car maybe they are trying to slow the field down :lol:

Umm 2:09.549 right? I mean I've heard of a driver and tune getting along but wow :lol:

30. Otaliema

Otaliema

Attention test drivers the template includes tags for tuners please be sure you include the tag block so everyone is aware of the posted reviews thank you for your understanding and future cooperation :tup:

Bowtie-muscle, DaBomm4 and shaunm80 like this.