FITT M Power Challenge - Mystery Solved - Congratulations to the Winners

• Thread starter shaunm80
  • 843 comments
Well, I guess my part in this is done. I would like to thank all the tuners on a great job. I want each of you to know I did my best to grind everything out of your tune I could get. Some times I was more successful that others. They are all great cars and each has its own personality. I enjoyed my time with each of them. If the reviews sound over critical, I appoligize. That is not my intention, I was just as blunt with mine. Good luck to all.

@shaunm80 @Bowtie-muscle @Otaliema @chrisspeed281 @DolHaus @Brewguy44 @fordracer @DaBomm4 @MrGrado @787bcgr @xande1959 @ugabugaz @brian wolf @Voodoovaj @jblackrevo9 @sinof1337 @Motor City Hami @coryclifford

FITT M Power Challenge Reviews

All testing done at Nürburgring GP/F. Grip set to real.

Tuner #1 - M3 Chrome Line
Lap Time: 2:11.263 DC: 7.9
Comments: I had not owned or driven this car till this event. Not sure I'm a fan of any or the '07 M3's. This car had plenty of rear tire spin, would like to have seen more grip in the corner. A little bit of front end push, brakes seemed slow to pull the speed down.

Tuner #2 - M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2:11.771 DC:8.2
Comments: Very good brakes. Not a 7speed fan, but this one was good. Would like to see a little more grip on corner exit and acceleration.

Tuner #3 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2:08.586 DC: 9.7
Comments: I have owned and driven the GTR's in GT5 and GT6, however I generally avoid them. It seemed anything they could do, the CSL could do easier and more comfortable. This tune really blows that notion away! Great grip/handling, great trans. and brakes. Inspires confidence to push a little harder. Great job.

Tuner #4 – M3 '07
Lap Time: 2:10.131 DC:8.4
Comments: Good traction, brakes, and trans., finally found that liked to rotate while on the brakes. Hard to find consistency.

Tuner #5 - 135i Coupe
Lap Time: 2:12.773 DC: 7
Comments: Good brakes, great power and trans., maybe too good. Lots of wheel spin and oversteer, when I got it too hook up, the front went tight. Finally found a line it seemed to like. Did my best, Too much car for me I guess. Too bad, I really like this model.

Tuner #6 – M3 '07
Lap Time: 2:10.806 DC: 8.5
Comments: Every thing seems ok, power, brakes and trans., but uncomfortable. Eroded confidence. When pushed, seemed to push back.

Tuner #7 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2:09.228 DC: 9.2
Comments: Favorite model in the game, not my favorite tune. Some low speed understeer, and would like to see a little more grip at corner exit. The brakes did the job, power and trans. were good. Have 3 in my garage that drive just like this. No surprises here.

Tuner #8 – M3 Chrome Line
Lap Time: 2:12.569 DC: 7.7
Comments: Brakes spongy and barely up to task, had to brake early, not enough traction to make up for time loss. Wheel spin in the corner, talk it into hooking up and went right to understeer. Tough tune to drive. Probably faster with a different style.

Tuner #9 – M4 Performance Edition
Lap Time: DC:
Comments: No tune submitted - Too busy with life

Tuner #10 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2:10.185 DC: 9
Comments: Great car, easy to drive. Just a hint of understeer. Good grip under acceleration. Had not owned or driver an M4, but like them. Just wouldn't go any faster for me.

Tuner #11 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2:10.034 DC: 8.8
Comments: Good brakes and gears. Good transition from brakes to gas. Understeer pop up at the worst of times and ruin lap. A little wheel spin here, a little front end slip there kept it out of the 2:09.xx group.

Tuner #12 – M4 Performance Edition
Lap Time: 2:11.413 DC: 7.5
Comments: lots of push in slow corners. Wait forever for it to rotate so you could get back on the gas, when you did though it had good acceleration and grip off the corner that helped save part of the lap time.

Tuner #13 - M3 Chrome Line
Lap Time: 2:10.709 DC: 8.9
Comments: Needs careful throttle control in the corners, but it is controllable. Good acceleration and brakes. Nice trans. Best of the breed today.

Tuner #14 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2:09.907 DC: 9.9
Comments: Nice handling. Predictable, measured, consistent. Power, trans, and grip perfect for this track. Blew a couple laps that would have been in the 8's. My favorite tune. Wish my CSL's were like this. One of them will be shortly.

Tuner #15 – M4 Performance
Comments: No tune submitted

Tuner #16 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2:10.672 DC: 8.9
Comments: So...who totaled their primary and entered the wife's car!!?? That is what I kept thinking while I drove this car. Not a bad thing....unless you get caught! Soft, dependable, predictable, and works. Could use a trans up-grade. Liking these M4's.

Tuner #17 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2:11.659 DC: 7.9
Comments: Wouldn't tune under braking. Needed long brake zones. Heavy!!! Hurt this tune.

Tuner #18 – M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2:11.092 DC: 8
Comments:
Felt heavy. Some understeer. Brakes not to my liking. Drove like a GTR.
Great job with the testing. I will get them loaded in a bit. only have a little bit of playtime today so will do that then load this 👍
Great to hear you liked my car...Or did you??? time will tell.

Times input from @fordracer updated rankings.

GP/F Lap Time Podium
1 Tuner #3 2:07.158 +00.000
2 Tuner #11 2:07.522 +0.365
3 Tuner #7 2:07.886 +0.728
4 Tuner #14 2:07.939 +0.782
5 Tuner #18 2:08.529 +1.371

Drivers Choice Podium
1 Tuner #3 9.38
2 Tuner #11 9.26
3 Tuner #7 9.04
4 Tuner #10 9.02
5 Tuner #14 8.88

Fastest Lap at GP/F
2:05.895; Tuner #11's tune Driven By biffa3

Most Consistent Dabomm4 1.865
Fastest Average biffa3 127.637

GP/F Lap Time Podium

Drivers Choice Podium
1 Tuner #3 9.38
2 Tuner #11 9.26
3 Tuner #7 9.04
4 Tuner #10 9.02
5 Tuner #14 8.88

Fastest Lap at GP/F

On time, 1st and 2nd are pretty clear, they could swap but not likely. 3rd and 4th will fight for the final podium spot.

DC is tighter. Again 1st and 2nd are fairly safe, but 3rd thru 7th are all close enough to move around. Maybe even 8th place could put up a fight.

Not just yet please. Only a few days left.

Ok. I guess I don't have to reveal to pass it on.

Reverse Rake, with funky dampers and zero camber with low toe settings?
And yeah hold off till @shaunm80 or @Bowtie-muscle give the all clear to reveal. We haven't had any temper tantrums yet.

Pretty close. Not just the reverse rake, but a particular reverse rake. I'm not so sure about the other bits because "funky dampers" can make up for spring rate oddities. If you get the springs right, the damper setting are not that odd. Zero camber and low toe has never been something I found to be better. I found the opposite.

So, what I have found is that setting the front ride height to the middle of the adjustable range and setting the rear to the minimum gave the best results. For a while now, the FF setups have been high in the front and squat in the rear. I didn't find it to be much of an advantage until I went to extremes. So, I got this huge time gain on FF's using this method. I not only found sharper and more accurate handling with more grip int he corners, I also got better acceleration and subsequently a higher top speed on the straights.

So, I tried this approach on other cars. My tune for this competition went from a personal best of 2:07.433 to a 2.07.136 on the second lap of trying!

I then went back and tried this on the Stratos, which we all know can be a wicked handling car. SAME RESULT! Better in the corners, better on acceleration, better speed.

So, far, it really looks to me like this method (middle setting for front, minimum rear) is promising to be the fastest suspension set up for every car. Now, I was testing SS tires and using Bathurst because of it's unique layout, but I think this is something that will work pretty much anywhere.

So, what I have found is that setting the front ride height to the middle of the adjustable range and setting the rear to the minimum gave the best results. For a while now, the FF setups have been high in the front and squat in the rear. I didn't find it to be much of an advantage until I went to extremes. So, I got this huge time gain on FF's using this method. I not only found sharper and more accurate handling with more grip int he corners, I also got better acceleration and subsequently a higher top speed on the straights.

So, I tried this approach on other cars. My tune for this competition went from a personal best of 2:07.433 to a 2.07.136 on the second lap of trying!

I then went back and tried this on the Stratos, which we all know can be a wicked handling car. SAME RESULT! Better in the corners, better on acceleration, better speed.

So, far, it really looks to me like this method (middle setting for front, minimum rear) is promising to be the fastest suspension set up for every car. Now, I was testing SS tires and using Bathurst because of it's unique layout, but I think this is something that will work pretty much anywhere.
Interesting, good job with that.

Now as far as your tune for this challenge, did you use your wizard settings?

The ride height essentially works as a grip modifier, the higher you go the more compliant and grippy the suspension will be. The trade off is decreased vertical stability and response so you are looking for the point where you are actively gaining grip without making the car sway about like a boat in a breeze. Because of the way GT handles roll-over physics (or rather doesn't) its very easy to exploit and there are very few disadvantages to using it compared to the more traditional way of increasing grip by softening the springs

Hi guys, any room for another tester? I've been testing in the background as I didn't know if time would be on my side with this many cars and other things, but I've whittled them down a fair bit.
We certainly have time for another tester. Let us know how your getting on this weekend and how much time you need to finish. :)

On time, 1st and 2nd are pretty clear, they could swap but not likely. 3rd and 4th will fight for the final podium spot.

DC is tighter. Again 1st and 2nd are fairly safe, but 3rd thru 7th are all close enough to move around. Maybe even 8th place could put up a fight.
DC is going to be very close between 3-7th looking at the data. I wouldn't put a bet on who will get the final podium spot right now. :)

GP/F Lap Time Podium

Drivers Choice Podium
1 Tuner #3 9.38
2 Tuner #11 9.26
3 Tuner #7 9.04
4 Tuner #10 9.02
5 Tuner #14 8.88

Fastest Lap at GP/F

very good job in spreadsheets congratulate for their efficiency, thanks:bowdown:

We certainly have time for another tester. Let us know how your getting on this weekend and how much time you need to finish. :)

DC is going to be very close between 3-7th looking at the data. I wouldn't put a bet on who will get the final podium spot right now. :)

Thanks, I've only got the CSL's left and a bit of paper work to be done, should have all done and posted within 36 hours.

very good job in spreadsheets congratulate for their efficiency, thanks:bowdown:
Thank you it's been a long term project but the sheet is stable and easy to read and informational

Thanks, I've only got the CSL's left and a bit of paper work to be done, should have all done and posted within 36 hours.
Awesome welcome aboard
Your definitely on it then. :)

@Otaliema - can you add macdog54 to the score sheet please? Thank you :)
Will do. Who was the other new tester I've lost them in the thread -_-

i am done with testing,
i have valid lap-times and scores, no comments - sorry too difficult at this stage...
i will post them tomorrow morning.

I had trouble with the track,
my lap-times where consistent but i was not able to rate the car's,
so i took them to Silverstone, a track that i know well.
That helped a lot, i will post these lap-times as well, just for statistical (or so ) reasons.
I rated them there as well and did the final testing on nbr.
I compared the rating of the two and felt more convinced about my ratings at nbr,
so that helped me a lot...

i am tempted to run them all again at Suzuka,
another track i know well and rate them again,
but that is overkill...

have a good night (or morning),

grts Steef.

Excellent sir I'll load the times in the morning.

i am done with testing,
i have valid lap-times and scores, no comments - sorry too difficult at this stage...
i will post them tomorrow morning.

I had trouble with the track,
my lap-times where consistent but i was not able to rate the car's,
so i took them to Silverstone, a track that i know well.
That helped a lot, i will post these lap-times as well, just for statistical (or so ) reasons.
I rated them there as well and did the final testing on nbr.
I compared the rating of the two and felt more convinced about my ratings at nbr,
so that helped me a lot...

i am tempted to run them all again at Suzuka,
another track i know well and rate them again,
but that is overkill...

have a good night (or morning),

grts Steef.
The fact you got them done is good enough comments are not required.

@shaunm80 @Bowtie-muscle @Otaliema @chrisspeed281 @DolHaus @Brewguy44 @fordracer @DaBomm4 @MrGrado @787bcgr @xande1959 @ugabugaz @brian wolf @Voodoovaj @jblackrevo9 @sinof1337 @Motor City Hami @coryclifford

Times input from @ugabugaz
updated rankings

GP/F Lap Time Podium
1 Tuner #3 M3 GTR 2:06.766 +00.000
2 Tuner #11 M3 CSL 2:07.124 +00.359
3 Tuner #7 M3 CSL 2:07.471 +00.705
4 Tuner #14 M3 CSL 2:07.572 +00.806
5 Tuner #18 M3 GTR 2:08.121 +01.355

Drivers Choice Podium
1 Tuner #3 M3 GTR 9.35
2 Tuner #11 M3 CSL 9.15
3 Tuner #7 M3 CSL 8.96
4 Tuner #2 M4 Coupe 8.88
5 Tuner #10 M4 Coupe 8.87

Fastest Lap at GP/F
2:04.412; Tuner #3 M3 GTR's tune Driven By ugabugaz

Fastest Average ugabugaz 126.226

I got the computer tonight wasn't expecting that.

Edited tuner ID's to include the car they tuned on the sheet for easier viewing.
Barring any major lap time drops for Tuners 3 and 11 they Lap have time podium locked for 1 and 2, 3rd spot is still a fight one tester could shift them.
Drivers choice is up in the air still with a total spread of 0.48 1-5th it's anyone's game there.

Last edited:
Decided I'm actually gonna test, I realize I can't really do my usual style of posting results 1 by 1 and notifying people. Yet I'm still going to do that, so check back this post daily (I'll go in order). Once everything is done I'll do the tagging.

Settings: DS3/Sens: 7/Real Grip

TUNERS

Time: 2:06.785
DC: 9.0

Very good top end and acceleration throughout. Puts power down very well, very little oversteer. Handles bumps fairly well. Transmission is okay as well. Suffers from lazy turn in and understeer in low speed corners.

Time: 2:06.486

First couple of laps I really couldn't put my finger on anything in particular on this car. There's actually nothing wrong with this car. Nothing really stands out either. Wherever you point it, it goes without any drama. I was actually thinking it would be lucky to get a lap in the low 7's. When I slammed this lap home I could hardly believe my eyes. I'm still not sure how it got around so quick :eek:. Some witchcraft at work here....

Time: 2:04.412 👍 (2:04.081 with a Fixed LSD - Accel = 12)
DC: 9.2

Didn't like this car all that much. Felt bouncy throughout and somewhat unpleasant to drive although consistent. 2nd and 3rd gear seemed both to be a little long - Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Has the best power parts fitted to a GTR however and is quite fast.

I found the trick to this car, It never understeers! You slam it into corners and you can always expect the front to rotate, Lovely! I actually wouldn't be surprised if someone runs a 2:03 in this car. Watching the replay, it seems the LSD needs tweaking since at many portions of the track one wheel is lighting up hard.

Time: 2:05.879
DC: 9.4

Feels a lot like #14. Has the tune style I love. You can easily rotate the car on the throttle and with the brakes when entering a corner. No problem doing the chicane, car floats over the curbs. Car was down around 0.200 for the first half of the lap as compared to #2 but then caught up and ended up 0.089 ahead. Has a very slight tendency to understeer when getting on the power sometimes. Brakes are the best at sliding the car into a corner entry out of any car so far. 2nd gear is a tad too short. Would prefer if the car was just a tad tamer.

Time: 2:07.748

Excellent rotation through corners. Good brakes and transmssion. Car bounces around in several portions of the track, much like many others here hence a lower DC.

Time: 2:06.179
DC: 7.0

Didn't really enjoy driving this car. It felt stiff and bounced around on the track. Not very progressive or telling as to when it would oversteer. I put in a lot of work to get out that lap time.

Time: 2:04.977
DC: 8.5

Fairly consistent lap times in the low 5's. Car is easy to drive and cooperates most of the time. Only downside is that understeer creeps in quite a lot making certain corners a challenge. If you screw up, it's easier to recover your line than in #11.

Time: 2:06.886
DC: 8.8

Very smooth rhythm when driving. Rear end is never upset unless you floor it at the wrong time. Over-rotates under braking. Suffers from high speed understeer. Very easy to drive.

N/A

Time: 2:06.557
DC: 8.0

Doesn't feel as nice to drive as #2. Understeer creeps in at several points during the lap, forcing a wider line and ultimately slower time. Not as easy to hit the power either.

Time: 2:04.734

Car does almost everything well. To get a fast time you need to be really precise all the time, since there's very little recovery available. Only complaint is that the car is a little slow to change direction and generally feels like it's swaying around.

Time: 2:06.695
DC: 8.0

Interesting car this, For most of the lap time I thought the vibration in my DS3 was switched off. Remarkable how this car doesn't show anything under braking, acceleration or cornering, like it's bored or something. Has some understeer in mid and exit which inhibits a faster lap time.

Time: 2:06.934

Dives under braking. Feels very soft when driving. Initially wasn't impressed however this car has the best turn-in I've tested so far. It's a pleasure taking the last corner with this car, it's so easy!

Time: 2:05.365

I had to put in a lot of effort to get that time out. I liked this car initially, in fact I loved it. Thing is it has a bunch of problems. 2nd gear is too short, I was bouncing off the limiter several times. In several sections the car is bouncing around losing me time. Worst of all this car doesn't ride curbs and you have to on this track for a fast lap. What I really loved was the on demand throttle rotation - this is how every car should feel. Could have been great...

Time: 2:07.035
DC: 7.0

Dives under braking and sometimes car unsettles when releasing brakes. Has understeer in high speed corners. Not very consistent.

Time: 2:07.018
DC: 5.0

Slow. So Slow. I simply don't understand what whoever was tuning this car was going for. The weight of this car is puzzling. Handles alright, but then again you can never drive it fast enough to upset it. I don't get it.

Time: 2:05.673
DC: 6.5

Not a fan of this car. Doesn't like to turn in to corners, although its not a question of understeer. Acceleration is slower than #3. Can't drive it consistently lap after lap. Has a very hard time with the chicane - No matter which way I go it seems to bounce around hard.
Thanks for the review. Really good lap times and consistency throughout. Thanks :)

here are my results:

Lap Time: 2.09.911 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #2 - M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.12.231 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #3 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.08.772 DC: 9
Comments:

Tuner #4 – M3 '07
Lap Time: 2.09.893 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #5 - 135i Coupe
Lap Time: 2.12.236 DC: 7
Comments:

Tuner #6 – M3 '07
Lap Time: 2.10.794 DC: 9
Comments:

Tuner #7 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.09.544 DC: 9,5
Comments:

Lap Time: 2.11.549 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #10 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.10.593 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #11 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.08.814 DC: 9
Comments:

Lap Time: 2.11.106 DC: 7
Comments:

Lap Time: 2.10.724 DC: 9
Comments:

Tuner #14 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.10.847 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #16 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.12.239 DC: 7,5
Comments:

Tuner #17 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.12.418 DC: 7
Comments:

Tuner #18 – M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.10.548 DC: 9
Comments:

here are my results:

Lap Time: 2.09.911 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #2 - M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.12.231 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #3 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.08.772 DC: 9
Comments:

Tuner #4 – M3 '07
Lap Time: 2.09.893 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #5 - 135i Coupe
Lap Time: 2.12.236 DC: 7
Comments:

Tuner #6 – M3 '07
Lap Time: 2.10.794 DC: 9
Comments:

Tuner #7 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.09.544 DC: 9,5
Comments:

Lap Time: 2.11.549 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #10 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.10.593 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #11 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.08.814 DC: 9
Comments:

Lap Time: 2.11.106 DC: 7
Comments:

Lap Time: 2.10.724 DC: 9
Comments:

Tuner #14 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.10.847 DC: 8
Comments:

Tuner #16 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.12.239 DC: 7,5
Comments:

Tuner #17 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.12.418 DC: 7
Comments:

Tuner #18 – M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.10.548 DC: 9
Comments:
Those times are consistent and respectable. Do you still want this test to be classed as an unofficial test?

Those times are consistent and respectable. Do you still want this test to be classed as an unofficial test?

Hello Shaun,

I spent enough time with the tunes and i feel comfortable with the result, i am happy that it can be classed official. It was a long way for me, but at least i found my way. As i wrote before i had to do a bypass via Silverstone, after that it was fine.

just for interest, here are my lap-times for Silverstone

All testing done at Silverstone. Grip set to real.

Lap Time: 2.155

Tuner #2 - M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.151

Tuner #3 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.128

Tuner #4 – M3 '07

Tuner #5 - 135i Coupe
Lap Time: 2.167

Tuner #6 – M3 '07

Tuner #7 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.109

Lap Time: 2.144

Tuner #10 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.136

Tuner #11 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.124

Lap Time: 2.145

Tuner #14 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.126

Tuner #16 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.138

Tuner #17 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.153

Tuner #18 – M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.129

Hello Shaun,

I spent enough time with the tunes and i feel comfortable with the result, i am happy that it can be classed official. It was a long way for me, but at least i found my way. As i wrote before i had to do a bypass via Silverstone, after that it was fine.

just for interest, here are my lap-times for Silverstone

All testing done at Silverstone. Grip set to real.

Tuner #2 - M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.151

Tuner #3 - M3 GTR

Tuner #4 – M3 '07

Tuner #5 - 135i Coupe
Lap Time: 2.167

Tuner #6 – M3 '07

Tuner #7 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.109

Lap Time: 2.144

Tuner #10 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.136

Tuner #11 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.124

Lap Time: 2.145

Tuner #14 - M3 CSL
Lap Time: 2.126

Tuner #16 – M4 Coupe
Lap Time: 2.138

Tuner #17 - M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.153

Tuner #18 – M3 GTR
Lap Time: 2.129
Thats cool. Thank you.

I know that english is your second (or third?) language but if you feel comfortable breaking the tunes down into what was good and what was bad, that would be useful information for all the tuners, if your not, thats okay with me. The data you have given us already is perfectly fine for the competition.

Thank you for doing these tests. :)

Back