FITT RUF Challenge

• Thread starter shaunm80
  • 1,256 comments
I think times will be much quicker, close to 2:01 IMO, i'm getting 2:06 and i'm still building a tranny, with a base suspension, base LSD
2:01 would be amazing, I'm not great at the track but can run 2:05 plus or minus 2 tenths all day. Perfect lap would be 2:04.4ish, but cannot see much lower. But maybe I'm slow.

I'm in the 2:11 area on harder tired right now.
I forgot to put in this thread that my PS3 went off and retired on me, I got a exchange unit yesterday first install wasn't successful due to system auto off, gonna give it another go tonight see if it takes I one shot or if I'm going to have to do 2 patches at a time again.

I'm in the 2:11 area on harder tired right now.
I forgot to put in this thread that my PS3 went off and retired on me, I got a exchange unit yesterday first install wasn't successful due to system auto off, gonna give it another go tonight see if it takes I one shot or if I'm going to have to do 2 patches at a time again.
Good luck my friend.

Old School RUF Class Testing

Each car has been given 10 laps each. I have driven each tune to the best of my ability so I hope that you aren’t too disappointed with my lap times. Driven as per FITT regulations using my ancient DS3 with AT transmission and X button bashing. Enough of the captain slow reasons though, here are the reviews.

@TheInfamousJEW6 - Yellow Bird '87 (Rigidity Improvement installed)
Best Lap Time - 1.34.629
DC - 8.8
Tune Comments - A heavy weight car. What I mean is a lot of ballast and it shows in the driving. Whilst it is balanced, easy to drive and easy to save, should the rear end come around on you, it does hurt the lap time compared to those with less ballast. I can see what you were doing with the tune style and 9 times out of 10, it will work well for most races but it can be a little inconsistent and occasionally lure you into a false sense of security. A good tune but a little heavy feeling for me personally and if you had this balance with 100KGs of weight removed, this handling package would have been awesome. I must say though, LSD settings and tractions out of corners were really well done. Transmission was good too which helped minimise wheel spin. A good tune all round. Well done. 👍

@Soren Jacquet
Best Lap Time – No tune submitted.
DC – N/A
Tune Comments – Nil.

@hall90 - Yellow Bird '87 (Rigidity Improvement installed)
Best Lap Time - 1.34.759
DC - 9.4
Tune Comments - One thing sticks in my mind about this tune. Stability and consistency. I was able to push this tune to the limits and if the rear end became lively, it was very easy to save and keep it on the straight and narrow. Grip levels were excellent and it was easy to get the power down safely. An incredibly balanced tune considering the natural behaviour of this car. On a side note, I DQ’d a lap which was 1.33.8xx so this tune has a lot more speed in it. Great work. :)

@Motor City Hami - Yellow Bird '87 (Improved Body Rigidity installed)
Best Lap Time - 1.33.074
DC – 10.0
Tune Comments - You called this tune the Black Bird, I call it Black Magic. You seemed to have found magic settings hidden in this thing that allow this car to be fast, stable, consistent and fun all at the same time. Kudos to your mad skills. Epic job MCH and if you don’t mind, I think I will be keeping the keys to this one. :bowdown::cheers:

@ugabugaz - Yellow Bird '87 (No chassis reinforcement)
Best Lap Time - 1.31.837
DC - 8.4
Tune Comments - A fast tune with a great transmission and easy to save when things go wrong. However, the tune was too unstable to be consistent, if you go too slow into a corner, under steer appears followed by power over steer accompanied by a smoke machine. This looks great but isn’t ideal for lap time. Traction out of the corners could have been better but if you connect a lap together without any of the negative elements, this tune is seriously quick. A very good tune that probably needs a slightly more alien driver than myself to extract all that it has to offer.

@steve nfs - BTR '86 (Improved Body Rigidity installed)
Best Lap Time - 1.33.468
DC - 8.8
Tune Comments - An easy to drive BTR. This car has lots of grip, traction and excellent rotation. A few minor issues I noticed when driving it though was the 5 speed transmission? Accidently or by design? Unsure about this but seemed a little odd at the time. Also, inconsistency from lap to lap, sometimes the traction was awesome out of a corner and the next lap it would light up the tyres and cause power oversteer. A great effort and with a tweak or two, this could be awesome. 👍

@xande1959 - BTR '86
Best Lap Time - 1.33.786
DC – 9.2
Tune Comments - One thing I know from testing your tunes is that the more unconventional the car, the better the tune tends to be and this tune definitely it a good one. Grip levels are excellent, perhaps a tad too much grip at times but easily worked around as long as you hit the right lines and don’t brake too late. Front end rotation is almost perfect and the transmission and LSD settings minimise wheel spin significantly. A very good tune but lacked the consistency of @hall90 tune which would have made this tune truly epic. :)

@shaunm80 - Yellow Bird '87 (Improved Body Rigidity installed)
Best Lap Time - 1.34.298
DC - 8.6
Tune Comments - Not sure how to describe this tune. It can be fast but it can also be unstable at times. Throttle control is a must. Once again, I DQ’d on a 1.33 lap through driver error (late braking.. beware of this). I will leave the detailed reviews for the other testers but I will say this. This tune is a fun car that can drive you a little nutty at times and still get away with it.. (just..).

@Rotary Junkie - BTR '86 (Improved Body Rigidity installed)
Best Lap Time - 1.35.108
DC – 8.0
Tune Comments - Your tune description says easy to drive, I agree, it is easy to drive but for me it lacks something important. Consistency. Whilst your tune mainly feels balanced, it has a tendency to oversteer if you drop out of certain rev ranges, or if the rear end catches a kerb or blade of grass. Throttle control is a must for this tune, which is no issue as it feels like mine did when I was tuning the YB. It might not help that I use AT transmission but I have to work with what I know. On a positive note, when this tune was going well, it was joyous to drive and the transmission worked well. My initial feeling is that the LSD is not quite optimised for the transmission which affects the overall balance of the car.

@coryclifford - BTR '86 (Improved Body Rigidity installed)
Best Lap Time – 1.34.847
DC – 8.4
Tune Comments – You know when you go to a party, and you see a really drunk guy screaming around unaware of what is going on around him, well this tune is that guy. I have to say, this is 10 laps I won’t forget in a hurry!. First off, front rotation and grip was very good. LSD was… fun.. and the rear of the car.. :scared: holy rusty metal batman! As Jim Carrey says “Smokin!!” I had a hoot in this car but it was too unstable and inconsistent for me. One of the aliens among us will love this but it is way beyond my skill set. My fastest red lap was 1.33.738 so this tune has serious speed in it. Thanks for the joyride, it was certainly a memorable one.

@reefer - BTR '86 (Improved Body Rigidity installed)
Best Lap Time – 1.35.025
DC – 9.5
Tune Comments – You are a mysterious tuner! You turn up on the 11th hour and present me with a tune that is totally my style. Easy to drive, fast, great rotation, plenty of grip (front and rear) and well balanced. The brakes were a tad strong for my liking but they worked well. The only issues I had with the tune was the transmission (in 2nd gear) and it was hard to recover if a big slide appeared. However, this tune could happily compete in A-spec races and win with grace and ease. A great tune. Well done! :)

Last edited:
Old School RUF Class Testing

Each car has been given 10 laps each. I have driven each tune to the best of my ability so I hope that you aren’t too disappointed with my lap times. Driven as per FITT regulations using my ancient DS3 with AT transmission and X button bashing. Enough of the captain slow reasons though, here are the reviews.

@TheInfamousJEW6
Best Lap Time - 1.34.629
DC - 8.8
Tune Comments - A heavy weight car. What I mean is a lot of ballast and it shows in the driving. Whilst it is balanced, easy to drive and easy to save, should the rear end come around on you, it does hurt the lap time compared to those with less ballast. I can see what you were doing with the tune style and 9 times out of 10, it will work well for most races but it can be a little inconsistent and occasionally lure you into a false sense of security. A good tune but a little heavy feeling for me personally and if you had this balance with 100KGs of weight removed, this handling package would have been awesome. I must say though, LSD settings and tractions out of corners were really well done. Transmission was good too which helped minimise wheel spin. A good tune all round. Well done. 👍

@Soren Jacquet
Best Lap Time – No tune submitted.
DC – N/A
Tune Comments – Nil.

@hall90
Best Lap Time - 1.34.759
DC - 9.4
Tune Comments - One thing sticks in my mind about this tune. Stability and consistency. I was able to push this tune to the limits and if the rear end became lively, it was very easy to save and keep it on the straight and narrow. Grip levels were excellent and it was easy to get the power down safely. An incredibly balanced tune considering the natural behaviour of this car. On a side note, I DQ’d a lap which was 1.33.8xx so this tune has a lot more speed in it. Great work. :)

@Motor City Hami
Best Lap Time - 1.33.074
DC – 10.0
Tune Comments - You called this tune the Black Bird, I call it Black Magic. You seemed to have found magic settings hidden in this thing that allow this car to be fast, stable, consistent and fun all at the same time. Kudos to your mad skills. Epic job MCH and if you don’t mind, I think I will be keeping the keys to this one. :bowdown::cheers:

@ugabugaz
Best Lap Time - 1.31.837
DC - 8.4
Tune Comments - A fast tune with a great transmission and easy to save when things go wrong. However, the tune was too unstable to be consistent, if you go too slow into a corner, under steer appears followed by power over steer accompanied by a smoke machine. This looks great but isn’t ideal for lap time. Traction out of the corners could have been better but if you connect a lap together without any of the negative elements, this tune is seriously quick. A very good tune that probably needs a slightly more alien driver than myself to extract all that it has to offer.

@steve nfs
Best Lap Time - 1.33.468
DC - 8.8
Tune Comments - An easy to drive BTR. This car has lots of grip, traction and excellent rotation. A few minor issues I noticed when driving it though was the 5 speed transmission? Accidently or by design? Unsure about this but seemed a little odd at the time. Also, inconsistency from lap to lap, sometimes the traction was awesome out of a corner and the next lap it would light up the tyres and cause power oversteer. A great effort and with a tweak or two, this could be awesome. 👍

@xande1959
Best Lap Time - 1.33.786
DC – 9.2
Tune Comments - One thing I know from testing your tunes is that the more unconventional the car, the better the tune tends to be and this tune definitely it a good one. Grip levels are excellent, perhaps a tad too much grip at times but easily worked around as long as you hit the right lines and don’t brake too late. Front end rotation is almost perfect and the transmission and LSD settings minimise wheel spin significantly. A very good tune but lacked the consistency of @hall90 tune which would have made this tune truly epic. :)

@shaunm80
Best Lap Time - 1.34.298
DC - 8.6
Tune Comments - Not sure how to describe this tune. It can be fast but it can also be unstable at times. Throttle control is a must. Once again, I DQ’d on a 1.33 lap through driver error (late braking.. beware of this). I will leave the detailed reviews for the other testers but I will say this. This tune is a fun car that can drive you a little nutty at times and still get away with it.. (just..).

@Rotary Junkie
Best Lap Time - 1.35.108
DC – 8.0
Tune Comments - Your tune description says easy to drive, I agree, it is easy to drive but for me it lacks something important. Consistency. Whilst your tune mainly feels balanced, it has a tendency to oversteer if you drop out of certain rev ranges, or if the rear end catches a kerb or blade of grass. Throttle control is a must for this tune, which is no issue as it feels like mine did when I was tuning the YB. It might not help that I use AT transmission but I have to work with what I know. On a positive note, when this tune was going well, it was joyous to drive and the transmission worked well. My initial feeling is that the LSD is not quite optimised for the transmission which affects the overall balance of the car.

@coryclifford
Best Lap Time – 1.34.847
DC – 8.4
Tune Comments – You know when you go to a party, and you see a really drunk guy screaming around unaware of what is going on around him, well this tune is that guy. I have to say, this is 10 laps I won’t forget in a hurry!. First off, front rotation and grip was very good. LSD was… fun.. and the rear of the car.. :scared: holy rusty metal batman! As Jim Carrey says “Smokin!!” I had a hoot in this car but it was too unstable and inconsistent for me. One of the aliens among us will love this but it is way beyond my skill set. My fastest red lap was 1.33.738 so this tune has serious speed in it. Thanks for the joyride, it was certainly a memorable one.

@reefer
Best Lap Time – 1.35.025
DC – 9.5
Tune Comments – You are a mysterious tuner! You turn up on the 11th hour and present me with a tune that is totally my style. Easy to drive, fast, great rotation, plenty of grip (front and rear) and well balanced. The brakes were a tad strong for my liking but they worked well. The only issues I had with the tune was the transmission (in 2nd gear) and it was hard to recover if a big slide appeared. However, this tune could happily compete in A-spec races and win with grace and ease. A great tune. Well done! :)

Thanks for the review @shaunm80! 👍 I knew it was a bit heavy but I really wanted to get it to 50/50 weight distribution... I was hoping it would help calm the car down. I don't generally tune cars to ride on the edge because I can't drive them on the edge! :lol: Thanks again for this event and taking the time to review all these monsters! :cheers:

@steve nfs
Best Lap Time - 1.33.468
DC - 8.8
Good shot 👍 even on your auto drives. :cheers:
Edit; Maybe you should include the cars model in the review, whether is it the more easy to drive CTR YB or the nasty BTR.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review @shaunm80! 👍 I knew it was a bit heavy but I really wanted to get it to 50/50 weight distribution... I was hoping it would help calm the car down. I don't generally tune cars to ride on the edge because I can't drive them on the edge! :lol: Thanks again for this event and taking the time to review all these monsters! :cheers:
It certainly did calm the car down when I drove it. I am not one for driving on-the-edge cars but sometimes they are manageable for me if they have the neutral balance that your tune had in it. :)
Good shot 👍 even on your auto drives. :cheers:
Thanks, I do feel slow compared to other testers but I don't really care about blistering lap times. Whenever I get the chance to test, I like to see how other tuners solve problems that I can't get my head around or just for the enjoyment of a certain car that I love to drive. I was hoping to find some tunes for these cars which I can use for future events and so far I have not been disappointed in the standard submitted for this event.

Thanks for the review @shaunm80. I found my BTR carried a lot more speed without dropping down to 2nd gear on any of the corners but if the auto tranny asks for 2nd then ya gotta go with it. My tune may not be everyone's cuppa but it suits my driving style. Appreciate your thoughts mate, cheers:)
Your tune definitely suited my driving style too which made testing your tune easy and fun. Unfortunately the AT transmission went for 2nd gear on a few corners but it wasn't really a big deal as the stability of your tune acts as a sort of get of jail free card. :)

Hahah! Love it!
Your review? Well, it was one tune I won't forget so I thought id would pay you back with a light hearted, fun review. :)

Wow. There's a big delta between lap times vs driver's choice vs comments there. Find it odd that the car that got the DC nod was the second slowest with a full 3 second gap between it and the fastest.

You talking about the 3400S or the BTR's?

Talk laptime :

1:59:450 with the RGT at Nurb GP
2:02:921 with the CTR2 at Suzuka 2014

For the review, I haven't been able to have sufficient time to test the BTR's and CTR's, but I will do this weekend certainly. :)

2:02:9?? thats something, and here i am all happy finally reaching low 2:06

Wow. There's a big delta between lap times vs driver's choice vs comments there. Find it odd that the car that got the DC nod was the second slowest with a full 3 second gap between it and the fastest.

DC is really all about how you feel about a tune. Not so much lap times... If it were about lap times only, then there would be no need for DC ratings at all. I can spina fast lap in an inconsistent car, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed driving it... :cheers:

I don't solely focus on lap time when it comes to deciding DC. DC comes from how I much I liked the tune and if I got on with the style of tuning. That is why some DC scores are high even though the lap time isn't as quick as other tunes.

What @TheInfamousJEW6 said.
DC is all about your enjoyment in the car. Just cause it's fast doesn't mean it's fun to drive.
and most every ones definition of fun in a racing game is just a bit different.

Dang @shaunm80 you tree'd me! :lol: j/k

Low DC to fast cars makes total sense when they're horribly inconsistent, but, well, let me put it this way.

ugabugaz ran mid-high 28s in his Yellowbird, ran a low 29 in my car after a quick test of it. Shaun managed a 1:31 in his car, yet several in the field wound up out in the 34s and 35s. That's where I'm like "Umm, what's gone on here?"

I'm not saying the notes are inaccurate, just that the notes relative to lap time and DC voting don't entirely make sense. The CTR/BTR are easy to lose/gain a second through tuning with, but I can't see a "comfortable" tune for one (in this case, reefer's) being 3 seconds and change slow from the wild child that happened to put down a good lap.

Back