FITT RUF Challenge

• Thread starter shaunm80
  • 1,256 comments
*sigh* I'd have preferred to hear that my tune was utter garbage. Honestly. At no point was I trying to belittle anyone, but I'm sure you've noticed I have a tendency to be just a bit abrasive with my wording. Politics are not my game. I'd explain again what my actual complaint was but it's completely worthless to do so as the entire thread will jump me again after misreading it again.

The FITT veteran thing was a good giggle though, seeing as I was around for not just the formation of FITT but also for the competitions that preceded it.

Alas, I'm completely out of place now, where one must be completely PC at all times and anything short of six apologies preceding and succeeding any criticism is read as attack mode. Oh well. I'm sure I'm not doing my scores any favors by opening my mouth either. :lol:

However, I'll gladly test when I have time. Will probably be close to the close of testing, but hey.
Heh, shame I'm not testing, I never pulled my punches when giving my feelings about a car :lol:
No point in being diplomatic when testing, nobody learns anything if you don't tell them when they're getting it wrong. I think at times people are a bit soft, being polite for fear of offending, its a nice sentiment but it does more harm than good in the long run.

Heh, shame I'm not testing, I never pulled my punches when giving my feelings about a car :lol:
No point in being diplomatic when testing, nobody learns anything if you don't tell them when they're getting it wrong. I think at times people are a bit soft, being polite for fear of offending, its a nice sentiment but it does more harm than good in the long run.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. There's not necessarily a need to go through each tune trying to improve it (though, as a tuner, it's likely a good idea to do so as maybe someone knows or has noticed something you didn't) but if you feel anything useful as feedback, even if it is just your personal preference, it's worth noting to the tuner.

Some of the best test results came from slower/less consistent drivers back in the day, as long as they could identify "I did this and the car did that" it was relevant... Whilst fast drivers might see that same thing, chalk it up to their mistake, drive around it, and never see it again.

Some of the best test results came from slower/less consistent drivers back in the day, as long as they could identify "I did this and the car did that" it was relevant... Whilst fast drivers might see that same thing, chalk it up to their mistake, drive around it, and never see it again.

For me, a fast driver might be able to find the problem, maybe change his driving and always keep the problem in head. However, it is not a fast driver that can see good and bad things, that is a driver that drive fast. :lol::lol:

More seriously, why argue ? We are here for fun, sharing experiences and impressions. Please enjoyed all ! :cheers::cheers::D

We've tried altering things before with DC and it fell flat on its face, the majority seem to be happy with the way things are and its too late in the grand scheme of things to make major changes now. DC is what it is, I was always after lap time victory anyway :lol:

I have a quick question for the group...:)

I tend to go in and out of arcade mode while testing but I have downloaded a "Session Log" to remind me to set track conditions to real, check to make sure TCS is set to zero and it has a place to record air temp. I have notice over the course of testing that this changes from a high of 82 degrees F to a low of 59 degrees F...that seems to be a big swing in temperature.

Does this have an effect on the cars? I always begin with two very slow laps to get settled in and "warm up the car"...

:cheers:

FITT challenging is just like an offline Time trial event. The difference is, it just don't have Gold, Silver and Bronze medal. An alien would like to drive very loose tune to get more than Gold, average drivers prefer more stable tune to reach Gold. They can't handle those very loose tune, which alien or very fast drivers like it. My 2 cents.

I tend to go in and out of arcade mode while testing but I have downloaded a "Session Log" to remind me to set track conditions to real, check to make sure TCS is set to zero and it has a place to record air temp. I have notice over the course of testing that this changes from a high of 82 degrees F to a low of 59 degrees F...that seems to be a big swing in temperature.

Does this have an effect on the cars? I always begin with two very slow laps to get settled in and "warm up the car"...

Interesting point and information. Too late to do anything about it, but it very well might. But that's the luck of the draw with when your on track with which tune. Since not all testers are testing in the same order, unlikely to have an affect on results should it actually matter. The chances that one tune will always get the best conditions, or another always the worst would seem rather remote.

RUF Sports Class Testing

Here you go guys, results for sports class RUFs.
Struggled to settle into this car and track combo, so hopefully this won't drop the average lap times too much!
All cars tested for 10 laps using DS3 (d-pads to steer, x go, square stop). No aids except driving line and ABS 1.
Well done to all the tuners for making this car driveable in my hands.

@lBt_33
Best Lap Time - 1:34:898
DC - 8
Tune Comments -
Locks up under braking. Understeer and oversteer both present. Slow and steady will provide consistent lap times, but not overly quick ones.

@xande1959
Best Lap Time - 1:34:830
DC - 8.5
Tune Comments -
Nice car to get around this track. Solid under braking, good turn in. Some slight understeer mid corner and easy to get on the power apart from the slower corners.

@coryclifford
Best Lap Time - 1:33:410
DC -9
Tune Comments -
Good solid tune when you can hit your lines consistently. Not very forgiving. Struggled to land the jump consistently.

@randyrockstiff
Best Lap Time - 1:35:306
DC - 7.5
Tune Comments -
Understeer and oversteer both present here. Good under braking but watch the throttle control out of the slower corners. Was carrying more weight than any of the others.

@Brewguy44
Best Lap Time - 1:33:523
DC - 9.5
Tune Comments -
Similar to Cory's car but a bit more forgiving of my inconsistencies. Satable under braking, good turn in and rotation with a hint of understeer through the last section.

@Otaliema
Best Lap Time - 1:34:286
DC - 9
Tune Comments -
A solid tune that offered continual laptime improvement. Some understeer present and some issues getting on the power out of the slower corners. Easy to be consistent once you factor in the understeer.

@joaosoarescso
Best Lap Time - 1:33:852
DC - 10
Tune Comments -
Felt light and nimble. No understeer detected but has some slight oversteer. Easy to get the power down. Good turn in and rotation. Some lift off oversteer helped at the big circle. Great 1st submission. Bravo sir.

@Ale67
Best Lap Time - 1:33:846
DC - 8.5
Tune Comments -
Also felt light and nimble, but has a misbehaving rear end. A little loose for me to set a really quick time in. Good effort though.
Glad to see you got the time to test these tunes. Good job as always!👍

Yes air temp does make a difference. Hotter is faster. SSRX is the easiest place to test this using an auto transmission.

As far as testing goes, the Old School Class will be unique. 2 hard to handle/tune cars, rigidity or not, twisty track that can cause nightmares even with glue for tires, and from what I see, we have 2 aliens testing. Should be fun.:cheers:

RGT - DS3=7 Auto ABS=1

kEmhcPg.jpg

[STATS]
560PP
538HP
1185KG
42:58 Weight Distribution
374 ft-lb torque

[SUSPENSION MENU]
Ride Height: 72-72
Spring Rate: 6.55-10.88
Dampers (Com): 8-3
Dampers (Ext): 5-8
Anti-Roll: 6-7
Camber: 0-0
Toe: (-0.02)-(+0.05)

Racing Brakes: 7-5

[TRANSMISSION MENU]
(DO IN ORDER LISTED)
Apply Power Parts FIRST
Reset Transmission to Default
Set Max Speed to 180 MPH

1: 3.304
2: 2.580
3: 1.917
4: 1.475
5: 1.185
6: 1.000
FN: 3.440 (STOCK - DO NOT CHANGE)

[DRIVETRAIN MENU]
Initial Torque: 14
Accel: 10
Braking: 14
Triple Plate Installed

[POWER MENU]

Power Limiter: 97.3%
Engine Tuning: Stage 3
Computer: Sports Computer
Exhaust: Racing Exhaust
Exhaust Manifold: Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Intake: Intake Tuning

[BODY MENU]
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Hood(Body Color)
Ballast Weight: 33KG
Ballast Position: +8%
DONE.

NO CHASSIS REINFORCEMENT - STOCK WHEELS

BEST LAP: 1.58:718 - Replay Available.

Take it out on Suzuka - It's a great time, believe me

Can weather changeability be set to 0? I've never noticed that large of a temperature swing during testing (or any at all for that matter:confused:)

Ye track affects the cars, in single player time trial the track always resets to the same temp at the start, or restart, so as long as you run the same number of laps on each car they get the same treatment.

RGT - DS3=7 Auto ABS=1

kEmhcPg.jpg

[STATS]
560PP
538HP
1185KG
374 ft-lb torque

[SUSPENSION MENU]

[TRANSMISSION MENU]
(DO IN ORDER LISTED)
Apply Power Parts FIRST
Set Max Speed to 180 MPH

[DRIVETRAIN MENU]
Triple Plate Installed

[POWER MENU]

[BODY MENU]
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Hood(Body Color)
DONE.

Quick glance it looks good. and you're all linked up.

Can weather changeability be set to 0? I've never noticed that large of a temperature swing during testing (or any at all for that matter:confused:)
No it can not 1 is the lowest. Time can be set to 0 though.

Temp does fluctuate when going to track and back ( I spent a lot of laps at Tsukuba, sometimes it's cloudy, sunny etc with varied temp ) It may even change when going to setup screen ( still with track loaded ), try go back and forth, press R1 to show the track report. Not sure all track have this, some of them seems to be fixed ( not the temp, but the lighting condition )

Driving the car under test drive mode also differs to arcade time trial. Engine and chassis wear are in effect when driven at test drive mode, while under arcade time trial, engine and chassis stays the same. I spent lots of km at arcade TT and chassis/engine oil never got yellow, bring it to test drive and it started to deteriorate.

Temp does fluctuate when going to track and back ( I spent a lot of laps at Tsukuba, sometimes it's cloudy, sunny etc with varied temp ) It may even change when going to setup screen ( still with track loaded ), try go back and forth, press R1 to show the track report. Not sure all track have this, some of them seems to be fixed ( not the temp, but the lighting condition )

Driving the car under test drive mode also differs to arcade time trial. Engine and chassis wear are in effect when driven at test drive mode, while under arcade time trial, engine and chassis stays the same. I spent lots of km at arcade TT and chassis/engine oil never got yellow, bring it to test drive and it started to deteriorate.
In TT mode even if you go to the track settings page and not change anything, it can change the air temp. I'm not sure about cloudy/sun on the tracks that allow it, haven't paid attention to that. But the track settings page is how I easily try to get to a certain temp to test...it can take a while!:lol:

Edit: Even though the hotter temp gives you a quicker time for normal cars for 5,000M, does cooler temps work better for cars with Turbos?:dunce:

My experience is that time of day, which naturally should change temp does affect grip. But again, each tune is under the same conditions and it is likely that no two testers would test the same tune under the worst conditions, nor the same under the best. Many other factors also come into play.

Your tests on difficult car spotlight thread were great, reminds me of that Oulim Spirra test review of yours, didn't hold back at all :P

In TT mode even if you go to the track settings page and not change anything, it can change the air temp. I'm not sure about cloudy/sun on the tracks that allow it, haven't paid attention to that. But the track settings page is how I easily try to get to a certain temp to test...it can take a while!:lol:

Edit: Even though the hotter temp gives you a quicker time for normal cars for 5,000M, does cooler temps work better for cars with Turbos?:dunce:
Its a bit of a weird one, warm air is less dense so you need less power to push through it but you'll also be making less power. A forced induction car would be affected less by reduced air density (unless it was a tiny engine with a massive turbo) so would be better off theoretically
Your tests on difficult car spotlight thread were great, reminds me of that Oulim Spirra test review of yours, didn't hold back at all :P
I remember liking your Spirra, one of the only cars I've ever seen you build from scratch rather than a replica :lol:

Ye track affects the cars, in single player time trial the track always resets to the same temp at the start, or restart, so as long as you run the same number of laps on each car they get the same treatment.

I want to clarify myself...

Sport Class had a temp range of 68 degrees to 82 degrees F at the start of testing and I didn't check if the temp changed while I was testing or on leaving arcade mode.

Old School Class currently has a temp range of 59 degrees to 70 degrees F at the start of testing...I just finished running a test on a car and the starting temp was 59. I backed out and returned to my garage to pick a different car to test...returned to arcade mode and the starting temp was 67 degrees F.

Sport Class had a temp range of 68 degrees to 82 degrees F at the start of testing and I didn't check if the temp changed while I was testing or on leaving arcade mode.

Old School Class currently has a temp range of 59 degrees to 70 degrees F at the start of testing...I just finished running a test on a car and the starting temp was 59. I backed out and returned to my garage to pick a different car to test...returned to arcade mode and the starting temp was 67 degrees F.
Not likely going to make that much of a difference, or at least not enough to be that noticable.

Honestly I've never noticed that during my tuning. That could explain why it felt like the car was all over the place sometimes and way too tight others.
Um hmm. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will decide what to do with it. Honestly at this point in the challenge we will do nothing as it will be an entirely random effect on the testing.

Honestly I've never noticed that during my tuning. That could explain why it felt like the car was all over the place sometimes and way too tight others.
Um hmm. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will decide what to do with it. Honestly at this point in the challenge we will do nothing as it will be an entirely random effect on the testing.
And was random during tuning.

RUF Sports Class Testing

Here you go guys, results for sports class RUFs.
Struggled to settle into this car and track combo, so hopefully this won't drop the average lap times too much!
All cars tested for 10 laps using DS3 (d-pads to steer, x go, square stop). No aids except driving line and ABS 1.
Well done to all the tuners for making this car driveable in my hands.

@lBt_33
Best Lap Time - 1:34:898
DC - 8
Tune Comments -
Locks up under braking. Understeer and oversteer both present. Slow and steady will provide consistent lap times, but not overly quick ones.

@xande1959
DC - 8.5
Tune Comments -
Nice car to get around this track. Solid under braking, good turn in. Some slight understeer mid corner and easy to get on the power apart from the slower corners.

@coryclifford
Best Lap Time - 1:33:410
DC -9
Tune Comments -
Good solid tune when you can hit your lines consistently. Not very forgiving. Struggled to land the jump consistently.

@randyrockstiff
Best Lap Time - 1:35:306
DC - 7.5
Tune Comments -
Understeer and oversteer both present here. Good under braking but watch the throttle control out of the slower corners. Was carrying more weight than any of the others.

@Brewguy44
Best Lap Time - 1:33:523
DC - 9.5
Tune Comments -
Similar to Cory's car but a bit more forgiving of my inconsistencies. Satable under braking, good turn in and rotation with a hint of understeer through the last section.

@Otaliema
Best Lap Time - 1:34:286
DC - 9
Tune Comments -
A solid tune that offered continual laptime improvement. Some understeer present and some issues getting on the power out of the slower corners. Easy to be consistent once you factor in the understeer.

@joaosoarescso
Best Lap Time - 1:33:852
DC - 10
Tune Comments -
Felt light and nimble. No understeer detected but has some slight oversteer. Easy to get the power down. Good turn in and rotation. Some lift off oversteer helped at the big circle. Great 1st submission. Bravo sir.

@Ale67
Best Lap Time - 1:33:846
DC - 8.5
Tune Comments -
Also felt light and nimble, but has a misbehaving rear end. A little loose for me to set a really quick time in. Good effort though.

Thank you @biffa3 . I am very happy with the result!!!!

@xande1959
DC - 8.5
Tune Comments -

thank you friend .
this car becomes a challenge for testers and tuners, further to worsen the very difficult circuit. with strong braking, hairpin bends, bumps to get worse adherence, one at the entrance of the 2nd tunnel that complicated. I say any tuned car here is ready for any particular street circuit.:cheers:👍

Ruf RGT Öhlins Road&Track

full

Car : Ruf RGT '00
Tyres : Sport Soft

Horsepower : 538 PS at 7800 RPM
Torque : 532.6 Nm at 5600 RPM

Weight : 1185 ; 33 kg of ballast at 0 position
Weight distribution : 43/57
Power Limiter : 91.4 %

560PP

Parts :

Paint : Sakhir Orange

Install :

Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sport ECU
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Intake Tuning
Triple Plate Clutch
Customizable Suspension Kit
Customizable LSD
Customizable Transmission
Carbon Hood (Body Color)
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Racing Brakes

Wheels : Standard Size OZ Racing Ultraleggera, in Silver.

full

The Setup :

Öhlins Road&Track - Porsche Factory Corrected Alignement :

Front, Rear

Ride Height: 80 84
Spring Rate: 7.13 14.27
Dampers (Compression): 7 5
Dampers (Extension): 5 3
Anti-Roll Bars: 4 5
Camber Angle: 1.0 1.5
Toe Angle: 0.08 0.17

Transmission :

Set to default
Adjust final gear to 5.000
Move the max speed to 220km/h
1st. 2.780
2nd. 2.110
3rd. 1.630
4th. 1.315
5th. 1.070
6th. 0.915

Final gear. 3.790

full

LSD

Initial Torque : 20
Acceleration Sensitivity: 17
Braking Sensitivity: 22

Brake Balance :

Set 7/7 or your favourite BB. All are tested without ABS and any assistances.

NOTES
I have built this car and I have 553PP, 504 BHP, 1185kgs and weight dist 43:57. Can you check your tuning sheet as you are currently 7PP down on the regs and this would put you at a great disadvantage in terms of speed and lap time. Thanks.
RGT - DS3=7 Auto ABS=1

kEmhcPg.jpg

[STATS]
560PP
538HP
1185KG
374 ft-lb torque

[SUSPENSION MENU]

[TRANSMISSION MENU]
(DO IN ORDER LISTED)
Apply Power Parts FIRST
Set Max Speed to 180 MPH

[DRIVETRAIN MENU]
Triple Plate Installed

[POWER MENU]

[BODY MENU]
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Carbon Hood(Body Color)
DONE.

Your build is all good. No issues.

I have built this car and I have 553PP, 504 BHP, 1185kgs and weight dist 43:57. Can you check your tuning sheet as you are currently 7PP down on the regs and this would put you at a great disadvantage in terms of speed and lap time. Thanks.

Your build is all good. No issues.
Thank you for checking sir.

Back