Flight Simulator

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 956 comments
I'm planning to trade in my X1X against a Series S in the autumn, and will play this when I do. But I need to finish some disk based games before I do that (namely FM5 and FH2)...

You lot are not helping with all your amazing shots though...! :mad: :lol:

Visually it’s been downgraded but deary me, it’s still THE most gorgeous virtual creation..
been gaming for 35+ years and this blows me away every time I fire it up, addicted don’t even come close
E75F9470-5CEC-4BE9-AB9D-BCB9D4E39E45.jpeg
6E6C579E-E04B-4666-95FD-A1B84425C5B8.jpeg
80F5CC08-9F1D-45FA-8D88-C0C5E362AE39.jpeg

Are the weather settings plagued by bugs, or do I not understand how to use them? It appears that any pre-flight adjustments made to the different weather presets are overwritten by default values once a flight session has loaded. It only seems to remember custom settings if changed mid-flight. Am I missing something here?

Also, values for the different cloud layers keep resetting when switching back and forth between them. Finally, the default value for precipitation on the thunderstorm preset is 30, but only goes up to a maximum of 10 if changed. 😐

These are only the things I can remember for now, but basically it would be nice if this stuff was a little easier to use.

New plane released… It’s not clear to me who made it though. Third party or Asobo?

Last edited:
Good question (even though I won't be buying it)...
Would Microsoft advertise it if not 'official'? I've only got the game on xbox and game pass now, have no idea how it's been done before.

Good question (even though I won't be buying it)...
Would Microsoft advertise it if not 'official'? I've only got the game on xbox and game pass now, have no idea how it's been done before.
I’m not sure whether Xbox would advertize it, but probably not. In the meantime I can confirm it’s an Asobo add-on, because the developer field says so on the in-game marketplace.

I've got the game pass version (base) but I'm a slow learner so right now I'm still on 152, 172 and tried the Bonanza and TBM once each. Going to be a long time before I feel the need for more planes :D

I do want to buy my local airport so that'll be my one and only purchase* for a good while

*may retract this statement at any time :lol:

Now ive done all challenges i have nothing to do, tried to better my scores but i just cant on xbox controller. Until i can get a yoke, i need more challenges. Do pc have alot more challenges to do compared to xbox ?

Now ive done all challenges i have nothing to do
If you bought this as a game, you've bought the wrong thing. You've literally got the whole world in your hands to fly around.

Go land at Saba, or Courcheval. Go fly past mount Rushmore. Fly in the Alps, or the Himalaya. Go fly over Bora Bora. Go fly through the arc de triomphe. Etc etc.

Really struggling to control some planes. Wanted to cruise over my city, and the Diamond DA40... Same as when I flew the TBM. It constantly banks to one side.

So it banks to the left, have to constantly push right to stay level. Then if I bank right, it then wants to continue banking right.

I've fiddled with aileron trim (I think, I assigned this to Y+RB or Y+LB) but not sure that's what I'm supposed to use. Not even sure it fixes anything.

Googled, and found mention of yaw damper (TBM) , again not sure if that's what I'm supposed to be using.

Loving the game but frustrated by my ignorance and not being that great finding out what I need to research in the first place.

Suppose this is in fact why it's called a simulator hahaha

Also, finding airports, runways. I might be straight out blind when it comes to spotting them.

Last edited:
Also, finding airports, runways. I might be straight out blind when it comes to spotting them.
In that situation I usually use ATC to ask for directions to the airport after having requested permission to land. Just keep asking until you can’t miss it.

If you bought this as a game, you've bought the wrong thing. You've literally got the whole world in your hands to fly around.

Go land at Saba, or Courcheval. Go fly past mount Rushmore. Fly in the Alps, or the Himalaya. Go fly over Bora Bora. Go fly through the arc de triomphe. Etc etc.
I initially struggled with this as well.
Going through the menus thinking there's not much to do comparing to race games with various series, missions etc.

Then it dawned on me as you mentioned, do what you want. Go explore the world, check out some sights.
Ok that's not perfect as not everywhere is modeled to the highest standard and can't be expected to.

I do find the Sydney harbour bridge or lack of it to be an odd exclusion but hopefully that gets added properly later on Xbox ( I know the PC has a mod).

With that lacking I decided to fly around the Forth bridges for a bit which brings a smile to the face, now to find my old hoose in Rosyth.

This is an interesting wee flight.

FlightSimulator 2021-08-07 16-22-24-01.jpg

You start off in a valley, surrounded by alps, so it's a battle for altitude, and impossible to go direct (certainly in the Cessna 152 anyway.)

1628351874074.png

EDIT: Just look pout for the pattern entry marker as it is in the mountain.

And taking off from Courcheval with no throttle is interesting. You can go quite far...

Last edited:
This is an interesting wee flight.

View attachment 1072780

You start off in a valley, surrounded by alps, so it's a battle for altitude, and impossible to go direct (certainly in the Cessna 152 anyway.)

View attachment 1072781

EDIT: Just look pout for the pattern entry marker as it is in the mountain.

And taking off from Courcheval with no throttle is interesting. You can go quite far...
Love flying into Courchevel..it’s pretty epic and I’ll admit I’d never even heard of the place before this Sim..it’s taking me to places that I want to go to in real life

En route to Dublin for a Guinness or two..amid an epic sunset with live weather enabled. It was pissing down when I left RAF Valley and the clouds began to part as I neared the Irish coast
The new update has made this Sim even more stunning.
6F2B4215-F240-42C6-8280-F2228C2D5A99.jpeg
7FA3F708-29E5-4A27-A21D-D6AF38183F64.jpeg
5BAF260C-CCDF-4843-BCDB-3C30BFE934EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Gorgeous photos! Going to try that plane out, lovely looking thing!
Slowly getting the flight planning and auto pilot to work hahaha

I just installed the hotfix update for the game on Xbox, but all the promised fixes don’t seem to be there.

They promised a fix for washed out ground textures, but now these are actually even more washed out. Besides, AI-generated buildings often load without details or don’t load at all, and that’s still a serious issue as well. Clouds also still look the same to me. I haven’t checked for the promised draw distance pop-up fixes yet, but right now I’d say the game has been downgraded on Xbox.

My enthusiasm has been kinda ruined because earlier in the week the developers said they had identified the bugs causing graphical issues, and then it ends up worse.

Last edited:
The draw distance behavior over big photogrammetric cities does seem to have improved in some ways after the latest patch for Xbox. Performance while flying over photogrammetric cities ironically also appears smoother overall compared to towns/cities relying solely on buildings generated by the the Blackshark AI.

As I’ve now mentioned a few times in this thread, the game (Xbox version at least) has some major issues with its ability to properly load these AI-generated buildings. As the LOD level of building assets struggle to load, some constant stuttering also takes place. I’m yet to see anyone else talk about this, which I find surprising considering how severe it can be at times. I say “at times” because sometimes the problem appears worse than other times, making me wonder if the stability of this system is tied to how much pressure the servers are experiencing from players all over the world streaming data at any given time. I’ve even tried to fiddle with the rolling cache size under options, but so far to no avail. Perhaps it’s a bug and one of the things that are scheduled to be addressed with the update accompanying World Update VI later this month.

Finally, since the patch I’ve been examining the said to be fixed ground textures some more. In some locations I might see a slight improvement depending on the type of terrain. Though, since launch back in July I’ve primarily explored areas characterized mostly by stretches of flat countryside fields, and its those in particular which in my opinion look a bit worse after the patch. Perhaps I got too used to appreciating the way it might have looked inferior before, but so far not entirely convinced about it.

Anyway, I’m not sure why I bother posting all this technical stuff here. Flight sim developers likely don’t frequent forums dedicated to racing games, and GTP members seem to play Flight Simulator for rather different reasons and with varying degrees of enthusiasm. I’m quite casual about it myself, but graphics and performance are aspects I’m very hawk-eyed about. Maybe because I’ve spent many frustrated hours in the past making older iterations of Flight Simulator look and run decently on less than ideal system specs. So having now gotten a version optimized specifically for Xbox is ideal, but it also has to work properly then. Hopefully we’ll get there eventually.

@Nielsen You are right, and these are good points. I've noticed several of the things you're mentioning . I don't know, I guess I'm not sure what I was expecting. Seems mostly okay but occasionally fly through a massive non-existent rock wall and see some cars flying 10' off the road painted on the ground below. For the most part, though, it's still pretty stunning and most planes seem to fly okay.

Back