Flight Simulator

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 956 comments
So my wife is working from home and has stolen the mouse :lol: so can't test that yet.

But I did work out that my bound RB and LB weren't adjusting trim while in cockpit when I saw the trim wheel not moving when I tried to change. They were assigned to cockpit camera with the left stick. Cleared those and now trim works in cockpit haha

Seeing if it makes a damn iota difference in my non-ability to fly in a steady fashion.

Still no idea how to descend and slow down at the same time, other than cutting engines and holding it to not completely fall out of the sky.

Is using flaps the actual means to slow down? Like, drop rpm a bit, activate 10° flaps and pitch down?

So my wife is working from home and has stolen the mouse :lol: so can't test that yet.
Haha, I'm heading into town tomorrow so am just going to bite the bullet and get one.
I assume any wireless usb mouse/keyboard combo will work?
But I did work out that my bound RB and LB weren't adjusting trim while in cockpit when I saw the trim wheel not moving when I tried to change. They were assigned to cockpit camera with the left stick. Cleared those and now trim works in cockpit haha
That would explain in not working :lol:
Is using flaps the actual means to slow down? Like, drop rpm a bit, activate 10° flaps and pitch down?
I'll let some of the more seasoned veterans chime in on this one but I've been using the flaps like shown in this video.
Approach starts from around 9:00.

Cheers, will watch it!
I've got a wireless mouse and a dongle thing I plug into the Xbox USB. Didn't need to set anything up, worked straight away.
It's not very smooth but... umm... a fabric couch armrest isn't great as a mouse pad :D

1627640470205525715225547655148.jpg
That's what we have...

Thankfully todays hotfix update addressed the crash to dashboard issue. Il try it later, apart from that ive done most of the challenges so hopefully some more will be pushed soon.

The update messed a lot of users up, me included and it’s something I’ve gotten used to as a new PC user and the many updates that I never knew i would have to contend with, just done a stunning wee flight from Westchester in NY State to JFK taking in all of Manhattan on the way and the hotfix seems to have worked ok..it is a great little 10-15 minute flight and highly recommended

Jeez that one in the 747 in the clouds is gorgeous!

Me doing pretty much the most obvious flights... Take off and landing, not a discovery flight.

I don't know how to attach image (unless I'm taking an actual photo). Only let's me attach files.

I'm on mobile, maybe that's why? I can't even select emoticons.

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_100544.png
    IMG_20210731_100544.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Funnily enough one of my first photos was of Brighton Pier too, though clearly I've not grasped multitasking yet and it didn't end so well:

Microsoft Flight Simulator (3).png

To get to photo mode you need to toggle active pause (press left stick to bring up menu at top, then select the play/pause icon) then click the camera icon and select "showcase".

That then gives you free movement while the game is paused. You can close all the popups/notifications (though I didn't realise that before taking the below):

Microsoft Flight Simulator (4).png

It's not exactly obvious to find! Full instructions are here. Apparently it doesn't work in all game modes such as Discovery Flights, but in free-roam it's fine.

Funnily enough one of my first photos was of Brighton Pier too, though clearly I've not grasped multitasking yet and it didn't end so well:

View attachment 1070709

To get to photo mode you need to toggle active pause (press left stick to bring up menu at top, then select the play/pause icon) then click the camera icon and select "showcase".

That then gives you free movement while the game is paused. You can close all the popups/notifications (though I didn't realise that before taking the below):

View attachment 1070710

It's not exactly obvious to find! Full instructions are here. Apparently it doesn't work in all game modes such as Discovery Flights, but in free-roam it's fine.
I thought that was the case but the active pause option isn't there for me 🤔

Search for it in control settings... Change filter to 'All'.
Mine was not bound. It's now Y&B together.
After I assigned it, it shows up in the top flight menu.

Away from home till the end of the week.feels like I’m really missing out not being able to fly, you’re all gonna have captain status by then,👨‍✈️

Was cruising at 212kts TAS in the TBM for the first time (feels a lovely thing), Jhb to Durban.... Beautifully stable at 19000feet...

20min into the flight, I may have been fiddling with foreign but interesting-looking switches :D.... And flipped a 'de ice' switch, I think the prop one.

They should rename it the "Instant lawn dart" switch :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Does this game have a proper photo mode?
Couple of screenshot from a few flights, firstly of my town of birth Brighton in the UK with an amazingly detailed pier and then some random shots. Xbox Series S
View attachment 1070695View attachment 1070696View attachment 1070697View attachment 1070698
I think I can just about see the Champions League from here 😜

The photo of the Jumbo in the clouds is stunning. Good to see that the game still looks great on Series S 👍

Folks, I'm loving all the posts in this thread :cheers:

I'm seeing a massive improvement in frame rate since the new update. I was on custom settings before, probably slightly lower than medium, and was getting 30-40fps. I'm now on High-end and getting FPS mainly in the 40s.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a massive improvement in frame rate since the new update. I was on custom settings before, probably slightly lower than medium, and was getting 30-40fps. I'm now on High-end and getting FPS mainly in the 40s.
There is substantial speculation in the community that higher settings have been compromised to make the performance update possible. Draw distance in big cities and ground details at higher altitudes may have worsened. I have never played the game on PC myself, but I still questioned these areas on the Xbox version. No doubt the game looks impressive on Xbox, but some flights really do highlight such issues. Hopefully Asobo can find a way to dial visuals back to a higher level without losing FPS again.

There is substantial speculation in the community that higher settings have been compromised to make the performance update possible. Draw distance in big cities and ground details at higher altitudes may have worsened. I have never played the game on PC myself, but I still questioned these areas on the Xbox version. No doubt the game looks impressive on Xbox, but some flights really do highlight such issues. Hopefully Asobo can find a way to dial visuals back to a higher level without losing FPS again.
My draw distance was a bit rubbish before, and it's now better than it was.

But anyway, you've got the whole, actual, real world. What do you want?

If I'd been playing the game at a certain level and then it got downgraded I'd be a little peeved.

I mean, as an Xbox-only guy (can't afford a high end PC) I'm ecstatic I get to play it. But not cool if they had to downgrade it for others who already paid for 'A' and now have '97%A', in order to do it. If that's what happened, and seems like based on the (very moany) official flight sim forum.

Hoping Asobo can perhaps give those users back the ultra options they had before, and I'll carry on joyfully buzzing aimlessly around, drinking in the sights and occasionally killing digital airplanes.

Last edited:
If I'd been playing the game at a certain level and then it got downgraded I'd be a little peeved.

I mean, as an Xbox-only guy (can't afford a high end PC) I'm ecstatic I get to play it. But not cool if they had to downgrade it for others who already paid for 'A' and now have '97%A', in order to do it. If that's what happened, and seems like based on the (very moany) official flight sim forum.

Hoping Asobo can perhaps give those users back the ultra options they had before, and I'll carry on joyfully buzzing aimlessly around, drinking in the sights and occasionally killing digital airplanes.
All I can say is that my game has improved.

There has definitely been a visual downgrade to get the higher FPS but as my rig is kinda mid range/high ish ( if that makes any sense ) I’m just enjoying the buttery smooth flights now.
Had two VR flights after the hotfix, RAF Valley to RAF Lossiemouth in the MB-339 and Valley to Rammstein air base in Germany in the F-15 and both flights were simply astonishing, especially the flight to Germany as the sun was setting,they were the smoothest VR flights I’ve ever had in the Sim..

Last edited:
My draw distance was a bit rubbish before, and it's now better than it was.

But anyway, you've got the whole, actual, real world. What do you want?
Cool. Why are you asking what I want though? It has nothing to do with the possible trade-offs the community has been pointing out in Sim Update 5.

Cool. Why are you asking what I want though? It has nothing to do with the possible trade-offs the community has been pointing out in Sim Update 5.
It was a general you, not specifically you. PC games like this are always a trade off between quality and speed. With MSFS, which has the whole world available to fly in, it's probably more critical than most other games. Framerate vs quality was always an issue for me (Ryzen 5, RX580) and this update has helped greatly. It would seem to me that they've taken the decision to perhaps help the many that have a decent PC, at the possible expense of those that have a top end PC, which may also increase sales.

It was a general you, not specifically you. PC games like this are always a trade off between quality and speed. With MSFS, which has the whole world available to fly in, it's probably more critical than most other games. Framerate vs quality was always an issue for me (Ryzen 5, RX580) and this update has helped greatly. It would seem to me that they've taken the decision to perhaps help the many that have a decent PC, at the possible expense of those that have a top end PC, which may also increase sales.
Ah ok. The problem is those having ultra-capable PCs got used to one standard of visuals, and now they cannot choose themselves because the developers prioritized FPS on their behalf at the expense of things they liked.

I’d say even the Xbox Series X version wouldn’t suffer from lower FPS if the payoff was greater draw distance over sprawling cities like Tokyo, for example. Gain a bit of altitude over a big city and it’s easy to see where buildings no longer are generated. Still early days for this title and I’m sure the developers will fine tune this balance. Right now there are too many graphical inconsistencies to say they’ve found a nice balance. Some things look superb while others look just mildly better than FSX from 2006. It all depends too much on where and how you fly.

Back