Flight Simulator

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 956 comments
Just put my first 2 1/2 hours into it

First flight in a Cessna from my local airport (Avalon near Melbourne), flew over my house and took one of my cycling routes down to the beach and landed it at Torquay.

Done a few of the training scenarios then got into the Airbus.
Flew from my local again this time to Sydney, had absolutely no idea what I was doing but kinda worked it out along the way.
After what could only be described as a highly unorthodox approach after missing the first approach I managed to land it, well bounce it down the runway to a standstill. :lol:

Initial impressions are very good, a few graphics pop ups but generally it's a beautiful looking game.
Very impressed and can see myself sinking quite a few hours into it.

Last edited:
I can't see Flight Simulator in the xbox store under "New games". Previously it was in the "coming soon" section, so don't know what's up. I know the game is designed for the Series X. I'm on a standard xbox 1x, so don't know if that's anything to do with it. Am planning to get a Series X shortly, partly to get my hands on this game.

Been playing for 7 hours today, games crashed 3 times already on my series x, seeing quite alot of in game stutters aswell, the devs have got alot work on their hands reading the bug reports so far ! On the plus side, had a thunderstorm and some planes near my house so jumped in to real world map, there they were, live weather and traffic, i love that !

Last edited:
The Spitfire is worth every penny but stay away from the Typhoon, it’s quite frankly an abomination with a Frankenstein interior of mismatched controls and flight screens which aren’t even in the real thing..just my opinion obviously but many more of us on the Flight Simulator forum share the same view
Thanks for the tips! Once I figure out wth I'm doing I might have to get me that Spitfire. Looking through the list at the FS forum it seems there's a few I may have missed, but I did only spend a few minutes looking through menus...This could get expensive!:lol:

11 crashes to dasboard today, it was not ready for release on console. So many bugs in the game i would say they shouldn’t have released it on console yet. Its really struggling on my x I have only been in landing challenges though, pleasure flights seem to be okay.

Last edited:
I can't see Flight Simulator in the xbox store under "New games". Previously it was in the "coming soon" section, so don't know what's up. I know the game is designed for the Series X. I'm on a standard xbox 1x, so don't know if that's anything to do with it. Am planning to get a Series X shortly, partly to get my hands on this game.
It only launched for next Gen, Series S and Series X.

It's not on One X. Will it? Who knows.

Flew around a little this morning, visiting a few of my favourite spots in my neck of the woods, saw some weirdness here and there but they were in some pretty out of the way locations. Was playing with a Thrustmaster HOTAS but it almost seems like more of a PITA than it's worth. Biggest problem so far (as usual) is the loose nut at the controls. Need SSSLLLOOOWWW hands... Oh yeah, that Pitts looks like it would be fun if I could stop crashing it before getting off the ground.

But wow, is this game beautiful...(will be more beautiful once I figure out the camera controls instead of just a screen capture)

Microsoft Flight Simulator (5).png

Last edited:
11 crashes to dasboard today, it was not ready for release on console. So many bugs in the game i would say they shouldn’t have released it on console yet. Its really struggling on my x I have only been in landing challenges though, pleasure flights seem to be okay.
11? That sucks man. Haven't had any crashes at all on console. Plain sailing.

My first landing after about 20min of flying.
Pilot and passenger were fine.

Eventually.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a replay function in game?
Thinking back my Airbus 'landing' at Sydney would have been hilarious to see again.

For all you guys (and maybe gals) there is no replay function as yet unfortunately but I’m sure Asobo have it planned at some point, us PC users have some wonderful 3rd party recording programs which I hope will eventually become available for all users

My game has crashed a few times too (Series X). Especially yesterday, but then I switched to using live ATC instead of AI-based ATC and things seemed to improve. All my system crashes in this game seem to have been tied to ATC in some way. Worth mentioning I’ve so far only played in the World Map mode.

We must be mega cringey to the old pros on PC. I have played a lot of flying games but I'm super rusty.

this is my first ever PC bought just for this Sim..so I’m a noob as much as you guys 😁 I spent more years than was healthy playing nothing but Driveclub and now this dang title has me doing the same thing..i Know you guys don’t have VR yet but when you do, say goodbye to life as it’s not possible to even convey how mind melting it is to belt through the Mach Loop in a F-15 and you’re sitting in the cockpit looking left and right at the valleys wizzing just feet from your cockpit……erm, its quite fun:D

Agree with all of you,game looks fantastic flying around ireland tonight was stunning ,live weather is just epic,only crashes I've had on series x was myself into the ground,even managed to crash in my own garden trying to look at the house😁. Will get stuck into the tutorials over the next few days and try and learn a bit

Really struggling with some things...

Climbing while maintaining a certain speed. She moans at me (not in a nice way) that I'm not climbing fast enough, so I throttle up and pull up more...
Then my air speed drops and she then moans at me about that, too.

Unable to achieve a reasonable balance.
And trim is still tough to nail. Takes me AGES to set it so I can cruise. I am unable to set it successfully for a climb or descent.

Mildly frustrating but with enough practice, youtube tutorials and my son to try it once, get it perfect first time, claim the game has no challenge and saunters unimpressed back to his boycave, I'll know it can be done!

Oh, and admitting I am dumb is hard hit yeah... What is bearing 41 (for example) actually, on the compass?

Ok, World Update V definitely has some issues on Xbox. Many AI generated buildings in the Nordics region fail to load properly when flying over densely populated areas, as these will only load with a completely barren LOD model or sometimes not at all. Usually the problem is most visible within the city centres. Same areas seem to work fine when uninstalling this world update. I’ve also noticed some terrain rendering problems around Malmö, Sweden where the area surrounding the plane constantly loads in square-shaped blocks, as if the draw distance doesn’t work.

This is in addition to the texture problems I already mentioned in relation the crafted airport at Bornholm, whose buildings only load when up very close to it, and the Brøndby Stadium not showing up at all.

Last edited:
Really struggling with some things...

Climbing while maintaining a certain speed. She moans at me (not in a nice way) that I'm not climbing fast enough, so I throttle up and pull up more...
Then my air speed drops and she then moans at me about that, too.

Unable to achieve a reasonable balance.
And trim is still tough to nail. Takes me AGES to set it so I can cruise. I am unable to set it successfully for a climb or descent.

Mildly frustrating but with enough practice, youtube tutorials and my son to try it once, get it perfect first time, claim the game has no challenge and saunters unimpressed back to his boycave, I'll know it can be done!

Oh, and admitting I am dumb is hard hit yeah... What is bearing 41 (for example) actually, on the compass?
I came here to ask the exact same thing things so you aren't alone.

On the climbing it was a genuine struggle to reach the required altitude by the waypoints. Even with full throttle I found it had to be a very consistent and gradual climb to only just makes it in time which brings me to trim.

I think this is the key and like you I'm struggling with it. Always seem to over compensate so it's like a yoyo back and forward. Perhaps a sensitivity change in the settings if available for trim may help. I need to check that out as currently I'm relying on the yoke too much I think for altitude change which causes the problems from the previous paragraph.

Ah yes bearing 41. :lol:
I was like what the 🤬 is that then it dawned on me it's actually 41 degrees on the compass. So East is 90 degrees, South 180 etc which makes 41 just a bit less than NE. That translates on the heading indicator via the numbers. The dial has N 3 6 E 12 etc etc with 3 being 30 degrees so half way between 3 and 6 is 45 degrees. Put just below half (45) at 12 o'clock on the heading indicator and that a heading of 41.

Not sure what tv you are using but I found with mine (55 inch) and the distance I'm from it zooming in the cockpit view slightly helped ever so much with reading the heading indicator.

I got a B on most of the lessons I've completed so far so not an expert by any means but I feel it's definitely a practice thing especially with the trim.

On a slightly different note any Xbox user's using a mouse? I can see some potential benefits there to quickly navigate the pop up menu at the top of the screen and cockpit while in flight.

Last edited:
Not had any issue myself, flaps and throttle gets me up where i need to be in everything so far. Has to be said that trying to play this game on an xbox control pad is the hardest, 747’s are horrible. I need turtle beach to hurry up with that sweet looking yoke.

I came here to ask the exact same thing things so you aren't alone.

On the climbing it was a genuine struggle to reach the required altitude by the waypoints. Even with full throttle I found it had to be a very consistent and gradual climb to only just makes it in time which brings me to trim.

I think this is the key and like you I'm struggling with it. Always seem to over compensate so it's like a yoyo back and forward. Perhaps a sensitivity change in the settings if available for trim may help. I need to check that out as currently I'm relying on the yoke too much I think for altitude change which causes the problems from the previous paragraph.

Ah yes bearing 41. :lol:
I was like what the 🤬 is that then it dawned on me it's actually 41 degrees on the compass. So East is 90 degrees, South 180 etc which makes 41 just a bit less than NE. That translates on the heading indicator via the numbers. The dial has N 3 6 E 12 etc etc with 3 being 30 degrees so half way between 3 and 6 is 45 degrees. Put just below half (45) at 12 o'clock on the heading indicator and that a heading of 41.

Not sure what tv you are using but I found with mine (55 inch) and the distance I'm from it zooming in the cockpit view slightly helped ever so much with reading the heading indicator.

I got a B on most of the lessons I've completed so far so not an expert by any means but I feel it's definitely a practice thing especially with the trim.

On a slightly different note any Xbox user's using a mouse? I can see some potential benefits there to quickly navigate the pop up menu at the top of the screen and cockpit while in flight.
Cheers Shaun!

I'm using the mouse, for normal menus but also for some of the in flight menus. Works well for me.

I need to change a setting on my controller. I've got trim on RB and LB... But when I'm in cockpit and try trim down (LB) while putting pressure on the yoke (LS) , it zooms the view in or out. Obviously doesn't happen while in external view, so I need to disable that combo in a cockpit camera setting somewhere.

Last edited:
Not had any issue myself, flaps and throttle gets me up where i need to be in everything so far.
Oh I didn't think of flaps for gaining altitude, just been using them for landing. Will give that a go. 👍

Cheers Shaun!

I'm using the mouse, for normal menus but also for some of the in flight menus. Works well for me.

I need to change a setting on my controller. I've got trim on RB and LB... But when I'm in cockpit and try trim down (LB) while putting pressure on the yoke (LS) , it zooms the view in or out. Obviously doesn't happen while in external view, so I need to disable that combo in a cockpit camera setting somewhere.
Sorry for the double post.

I wonder if the trim can be mapped to the roll wheel on the mouse? I imagine that would work ok.

Back