Flight Simulator

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 956 comments
After months, I have finally decided to jump back into FS! I'm still getting used to the controls, but it's fine. I am also trying out some new things, bought a Pilatus PC-21 from the Marketplace and using that for just flying around aimlessly and enjoying the sights. I'm also using the standard Air Bus for longer flights with AI Pilot on for relaxing.

Yesterday, a tweet notification popped-up on my phone, letting me know that a new World Update was out. "Great", I thought! As soon as I saw it, I fired up my Series X and loaded Microsoft Flight Simulator. Because I did not have the game on Quick Resume, it took quite some time to boot. So much time, in fact, that in the meantime I had to abandon the living room and go put my daughter to sleep. Fifteen minutes later, when I came back, the game was sitting on the main menu screen. Unfortunately, because world updates don't update themselves, I still had to first go to the marketplace and choose to get and download it - and thus, not making the most of the time I was absent. Several minutes went by and the update was finally downloaded and installed. I then went back and forth in the game menus, deciding where to start. To save some precious time, I opted for a Discovery Flight. After some more waiting (for Rome and its environment to load) I was finally up in the air. As soon as I gained control of the plane, the game froze and crashed to the Xbox menu.

A couple of seconds later, I was happily resuming my game of Yoku's Island Express.

I think the game needs removing from xbox its that bad, re release it in an acceptable state. Its embarrassing now that they ignore all the issues

Last edited:
I think the game needs removing from xbox its that bad, re release it in an acceptable state. Its embarrassing now that they ignore all the issues

Xbox Series X specifically. Xbox Series S runs fine, and it’s a mystery to me why they don’t just release the Series S settings as an option for Series X players. It would be small graphical downgrade but at least then I would want to play it, unlike now with the constant stuttering.

Yesterday, a tweet notification popped-up on my phone, letting me know that a new World Update was out. "Great", I thought! As soon as I saw it, I fired up my Series X and loaded Microsoft Flight Simulator. Because I did not have the game on Quick Resume, it took quite some time to boot. So much time, in fact, that in the meantime I had to abandon the living room and go put my daughter to sleep. Fifteen minutes later, when I came back, the game was sitting on the main menu screen. Unfortunately, because world updates don't update themselves, I still had to first go to the marketplace and choose to get and download it - and thus, not making the most of the time I was absent. Several minutes went by and the update was finally downloaded and installed. I then went back and forth in the game menus, deciding where to start. To save some precious time, I opted for a Discovery Flight. After some more waiting (for Rome and its environment to load) I was finally up in the air. As soon as I gained control of the plane, the game froze and crashed to the Xbox menu.

A couple of seconds later, I was happily resuming my game of Yoku's Island Express.
I was a bit more fortunate than you. Was able to play for about 5 minutes before the whole thing crashed.

Ah man i feel bad for you guys on the xbox having issues.....awful....

Im on pc i captured this in iceland, not sure if it`s a weird graphics glitch...or real........:drool:
full

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Decided to make a test. Uninstalled the game from the console and loaded it through the Cloud, to rule out any issue with my Series X or system settings.

The result was even worst:

Also, here's my latest attempt today, before uninstalling the game:

Decided to make a test. Uninstalled the game from the console and loaded it through the Cloud, to rule out any issue with my Series X or system settings.

The result was even worst:

Also, here's my latest attempt today, before uninstalling the game:

You’ve already done more testing than Asobo have.

Has there been any acknowledgement/recognition from Microsoft that there is a serious problem with this game on the console version?

Has there been any acknowledgement/recognition from Microsoft that there is a serious problem with this game on the console version?
Not that ive seen no. Ive looked in depth on the official forums, so many complaints from series x users, its becoming farcical. Given how the game is fine on series s, why cant ms and asobo work out why after 1 year ? They’ve not mentioned it, they’ve not fixed it. Which strongly suggests they have no idea why. Which is embarrassing for studios of such size and resources.

Tbh I uninstalled it ages ago mainly due to not having time to play more than it running like crap & it was pretty smooth back then so I don't know what new updates have done.

But out of curiosity you guys aren't running 120hz or vrr by any chance (just wondering if it's causing issues) my tv was only able to do 4k hdr 60hz so I couldn't enable vrr.

I say this because I read somewhere that if the games frame rate fluctuates more than a tvs vrr range then it can cause bigger stutters.

Anyways it was just a thought & only trying to help so if no joy then uninstall it like I did.

Tbh I uninstalled it ages ago mainly due to not having time to play more than it running like crap & it was pretty smooth back then so I don't know what new updates have done.

But out of curiosity you guys aren't running 120hz or vrr by any chance (just wondering if it's causing issues) my tv was only able to do 4k hdr 60hz so I couldn't enable vrr.

I say this because I read somewhere that if the games frame rate fluctuates more than a tvs vrr range then it can cause bigger stutters.

Anyways it was just a thought & only trying to help so if no joy then uninstall it like I did.
No VRR and 60Hz here. But thanks for the suggestion.

I actually have some developments on this. Like I mentioned previously, I uninstalled the game so as to try the Cloud version. However, contrary to what I initially intended, I went and installed it again from scratch. As soon as the game finished installing (and before installing any World Update) I tried a couple of urban flights and all was nice and smooth, like the good old days. I then decided to go a step further and installed all WU and still everything's running much smoother.

I don't know what to make of this... I'm pretty sure the initial issue most likely isn't solved and that sooner or later I'll have problems again but the truth is that, in the last few days, I've spent some hours enjoying the game - in places which were problematic before - without any issue.

Also, this doesn't explain the Cloud version, which was horrible as well.

Last edited:
managing to finally play on series x. Disabling live traffic and other players traffic seems to have helped lots. Really enjoyed the Top Gun content, even if it was a lithle short. Completed it all in 80 mins.

managing to finally play on series x. Disabling live traffic and other players traffic seems to have helped lots. Really enjoyed the Top Gun content, even if it was a lithle short. Completed it all in 80 mins.

Having read this advice, I decided to free up SSD space and install it again.

I'm glad I did, I had a really chill flight out of Venice, headed to Malta in a little Diamond (as I forgot you had to change the plane at the top left of the world screen...) and saw some gorgeous Italian scenery. After that, I realised the World Update hadn't been included, so hopefully when I load the saved flight, it'll use the new Italian update.

VXR
Having read this advice, I decided to free up SSD space and install it again.

I'm glad I did, I had a really chill flight out of Venice, headed to Malta in a little Diamond (as I forgot you had to change the plane at the top left of the world screen...) and saw some gorgeous Italian scenery. After that, I realised the World Update hadn't been included, so hopefully when I load the saved flight, it'll use the new Italian update.
Series x - Flying over London was the acid test. All landmarks enabled, live traffic/stutter then ctd. Disable live traffic, dont use quick resume either, but I haven’t had any stutters or ctd’s for a while now.

A question for the PC guys.
I folded and built a gaming PC mainly to get full use out of my Fanatec gear compared to the series X and thought may as well install Flight Simulator also.
I've only just had a quick look and it looks great but with all the graphics settings I was wondering what to push and what to look out for that gives the biggest performance hit.

Can anyone give a few tips on where to start?

The PC has a i7 127000k and a RTX 3070 which I run through my 4k 60hz OLED tv in the lounge if that helps at all.

A question for the PC guys.
I folded and built a gaming PC mainly to get full use out of my Fanatec gear compared to the series X and thought may as well install Flight Simulator also.
I've only just had a quick look and it looks great but with all the graphics settings I was wondering what to push and what to look out for that gives the biggest performance hit.

Can anyone give a few tips on where to start?

The PC has a i7 127000k and a RTX 3070 which I run through my 4k 60hz OLED tv in the lounge if that helps at all.
You have a 60Hz tv… so your frame rate will be poor, you need a tv to keep up with the pc’s output. At least 100Hz, preferably buy a proper pc monitor

You have a 60Hz tv… so your frame rate will be poor, you need a tv to keep up with the pc’s output. At least 100Hz, preferably buy a proper pc monitor
I understand that but that's not what I was asking. I'm asking about the various quality settings not frame rates to maximize the visuals of my current setup.

It's almost irrelevant as I'll be getting a monitor shortly when I setup my racing rig permanently, (currently unfortunately I drag it out to use) but I don't know if it's me but I don't seem to be hugely sensitive to lower frame rates.

I ran a little test using my PC monitor playing Flight Simulator and ACC at both 60 and 120 fps and managed fine either way. Anyway the search is now on for a larger monitor for the permanent setup but that's another story.

The helicopters will be interesting to try out. Will definitely help out with just messing around.

I understand that but that's not what I was asking. I'm asking about the various quality settings not frame rates to maximize the visuals of my current setup.
60Hz is also completely fine for a flight simulator.

Your best bet is probably to check some YT vids on the good settings, if you haven't already. I recall seeing some a good while ago. I don't know how much things have changed since then.

For 4k I'd guess best "value" for more fps might be reducing the resolution scale a tad, without seeing much of a difference in the image.

Oh, so the HALO SpaceShip is already live. It´s actually pretty cool, but it seems half finished(?)
Many buttons in the cockpit don´t do anything, the Autopilot doesn´t work.

Or am I doing something wrong? How can I gain sustained forward momentum?

It's almost irrelevant as I'll be getting a monitor shortly when I setup my racing rig permanently, (currently unfortunately I drag it out to use) but I don't know if it's me but I don't seem to be hugely sensitive to lower frame rates.

I ran a little test using my PC monitor playing Flight Simulator and ACC at both 60 and 120 fps and managed fine either way. Anyway the search is now on for a larger monitor for the permanent setup but that's another story.
Ah right, whilst i find these things to be trial and error, the official msfs forum is where you should go, they have been tweaking stuff for over a year now and will be alot more informative and responsive on that form, if it was me, i would just max it out and pay attention to your temps

Back