Flight Simulator

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 956 comments
I've never seen a game take so long to download. I even preloaded it from Xbox for Windows and then when I opened it, BOOM here's 90 more gigs to download. I've been downloading it since 8am and it's now almost 2pm. I've had to restart the download three times now because it was hanging up and I'm hopefully close to playing it since it's got 4-5 more gigs to go. It's not like I have slow internet either.

So I tinkered around with it.
Controls if using a PS4 controller isn't the best.
But then again I don't think it would of been a PS4/5 game anyways.

I liked it during the little bit I played.

It's good. It's very very good indeed. Just flew VFR from Humberside EGNJ, touch and go at Tees EGNV, landed at Manchester EGCC to swap to the Airbus NEO, flight plan down to Frankfurt EDDF.

Oh it's good.

How is the learning curve? I'm rather interested in the game but don't have a clue on how to fly a plane.

How is the learning curve? I'm rather interested in the game but don't have a clue on how to fly a plane.

There are assists in the sim that can be adjusted. You can pretty much make it as easy or as realistic as you want. I have most of the assists turned on until my flight stick arrives from Amazon sometime between today and the middle of September (seriously what kind of time frame is that?). Using the Xbox controller is terrible since the buttons are limited and as far as I can tell most of them just adjust the camera.

With the assists, it makes flying feel pretty arcade like, but I really just wanted to fly around Salt Lake for the time being. It was pretty cool too since I managed to land and then taxi over and park in front of my townhouse. I also, did the same thing to my work building and my old house in Michigan. Everything looked pretty close to how it actually looks in real life too.

Paid my quid for game pass 1st month and started the install last night. Man, that's some heavyweight installer - left alone, it uses 50% of an 8700K and 80% of a 1080Ti while downloading at a mere 20Mbps! :crazy: Might be finished by this evening if it doesn't crash out again :lol:

Probably just fly along some roads I know first of all, just to see what their mapping+AI has produced for them. Maybe try a landing at Silverstone? 💡

Paid my quid for game pass 1st month and started the install last night. Man, that's some heavyweight installer - left alone, it uses 50% of an 8700K and 80% of a 1080Ti while downloading at a mere 20Mbps! :crazy: Might be finished by this evening if it doesn't crash out again :lol:

Probably just fly along some roads I know first of all, just to see what their mapping+AI has produced for them. Maybe try a landing at Silverstone? 💡

Paying a squid is better than forking out 60 for something you might never get into.
All games should offer terms like this, try before you buy.👍
Especially now the trend is 'fleece you the more you get into' a game.

Paying a squid is better than forking out 60 for something you might never get into.
All games should offer terms like this, try before you buy.👍
Especially now the trend is 'fleece you the more you get into' a game.

That`s why i buy discs, you can sell it if it`s rubbish and get most of your money back.....Ive lost count on how many ive sold shortly after release....

@Joey D Steam: Flight Simulator 2020 is only 590mb!

FS20: *downloads a 91gb update*

I got my yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals today. I've never had flight sim equipment in my life despite flying planes for 10 years now. But since I'm off work, been off work for a minute, and will be for a while, I figured I could use FS20 to brush up on basic skills. It's literally been 10 months since I flew anything so I need to get back into it bad. I don't really care about the scenery or exploring, I just want to work on instrument procedures mostly.

So to help with that I ended up overclocking my i5-4960K today, 3.4 to 4.4 and 1.225 volts. It works...I might go for more, supposedly the "standard" when these were new was 4.6 stable but this thing has five years of use on it already so idk. One thing I do know is that the OC improved FS20 hugely because it's so CPU-heavy. My old GTX970 is doing its part well enough...it's been a clear day so I didn't test any cloud stuff.

This sim is just gorgeous. VFR actually works, it's mental.

20200819151909_1.jpg
20200819191759_1.jpg
20200820023630_1.jpg

I just want to work on instrument procedures mostly.

VATSIM is already working with it, I think, lots of US controllers (usually).

Yup, Microsoft has only mentioned a Series X release which I guess confirms its exclusive. I would love to know when it actually does release
because if there are supposed to be no Series X exclusives for 2 years does that mean a wait of two years? :odd:

Think an Xbox One would explode trying to run this :lol:

It's wild that I can fly to my old house, park on the lawn, and see that it's the same basic shape as the house is in real life.

gcqgWLB.png

My game keeps crashing so I haven't had a chance to check out other places yet. I did do a flyover of my townhouse complex, work, and a few other places and they're all pretty accurate as well.

One thing that is painfully inaccurate though is that my lawn would've never looked like that in a million years because then I couldn't have bragged to my neighbor.

My game keeps crashing so I haven't had a chance to check out other places yet. I did do a flyover of my townhouse complex, work, and a few other places and they're all pretty accurate as well.

Do you have the multi player and live air traffic options active? I disabled them (kept all the other online stuff on) and my game hasn't crashed since then, I haven't played that much but it does seem to help for me at least.

Do you have the multi player and live air traffic options active? I disabled them (kept all the other online stuff on) and my game hasn't crashed since then, I haven't played that much but it does seem to help for me at least.

I do, thanks for the heads up! I'll try that.

I don't think it's coming out for the One. Series X only.

Which means M$ shooting themselves in the foot at some point. It’s either 18 months away from actually launching in the XSX, it’s going to launch on the XSX and show them to be liars about no exclusive games for 18-24 months or it will launch on the One and have awful performance.

Be interesting to see which it is. Lie or disappointment.

Just bought a pc for the first time ever and it’s arriving tomorrow, bought it especially to play this and I can’t wait, been watching hours of YouTube vids and it looks just incredible, also found out that my HOTAS that I was using for Ace Combat on the PS4 is also compatible with PC too :cheers:

Which means M$ shooting themselves in the foot at some point. It’s either 18 months away from actually launching in the XSX, it’s going to launch on the XSX and show them to be liars about no exclusive games for 18-24 months or it will launch on the One and have awful performance.

Be interesting to see which it is. Lie or disappointment.

Having game anywhere is better than exclusives

So it appears that some people are so unsatisfied with the quality of the Bing Maps 3D data that they're importing Google Maps data into the game.

A hint on why this rather embarrassing situation has arisen comes from the official Flight Simulator forums, where a user tremulously asked: “In regard to photogrammetry, we often talked about number of cities or places that have it on Bing vs. Google. However, when I was examining the same area on both platforms, to my surprise (or not), the quality of photogrammetry on Bing is a lot worse, both in texture quality and polygon counts."

Watched a Youtube video of someone flying from Edinburgh to Dundee and was sorely disappointed by the lack of Forth Bridges. There should be 3 massive bridges crossing that stretch of water, including one of the world's most iconic bridges. For there to be nothing there is just ridiculous.

upload_2021-1-2_10-34-4.png

Latest Posts

Back