Floats Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow SSU. Nice stuff. The first two and last two of the set are really standout for me. Especially the first shot. Love the simplicity and clarity of it. 👍

Thanks Syntax!

It’s that time of year again when all the second years are displaying their final major projects, that also means all the teaching rooms and corridor get refreshed with first years work. Chosen by the tutors I’ve got 1 large print in the Mac Studio, 2 medium prints in the corridor and 8 small prints also in the corridor (one of them framed in a rather fetching wooden box). Extremely pleased!

Large in Mac Studio.
tumblr_l4f9aqq5ck1qcqqigo1_500.jpg

Some of the small corridor prints, both roofs and the fake polaroid of the Hayward Gallery.
tumblr_l4f9gxoz7U1qcqqigo1_500.jpg

One of the Medium prints at the end of the corridor, taken for a college assignment in the studio with the 5D.
tumblr_l4f9mbF9H01qcqqigo1_500.jpg

Soon I'll post news about why I shut Prime Blog and what I've set up now, I just need the time to make sure I'm happy with it all and explain it.

Awesome stuff SSU. I love that bike shot, I'm sure it looks even better in big print than it does on screen 👍

Awesome stuff SSU. I love that bike shot, I'm sure it looks even better in big print than it does on screen 👍

Thanks! I'm really pleased with the print, then again it was printed by my tutor who is used to printing his work. There is more detail in the sky in the print than viewed on a screen which is what I was looking for when I shot the image.

I'm now pleased to show off my re-arranged front on the internet. It's a fairly straightforward system and I think it produces some really nice results consider it's all done for free.

The Main Front for it all is a wonderfully elegant site called Flavors.me, it's free to use but can be extended vastly with a $20 a year subscription, however the free version does me fine. Basically this site collects info from everywhere else around the web and displays it on a single page.

To power this site I've kept my Flickr account as a dumping ground for most of my images. Secondly I've ditched Wordpress which isn't brilliant for photoblogs and switched to Tumblr. Finally I opened up a Twitter account as I think that is a nice way of sharing stuff not blog relevant or worthy.

Oh and I also put my name to my work which is very important, you can call me Tom :D:tup:

Well done Tom (a.k.a SSU) getting your work up on the wall in college 👍 👍

I have to say I'm very impressed flavors.me website, very swish!

Definitely, looks great. Thanks for bringing that flavours.me site to my attention - I've been thinking about something similar for a while and it might be just what I'm after. It works very well.

Nice work with the college display! Looks good 👍 I've got my end of year college show on this week so I've had to do a similar display to what you've done (apart from mine is more general art rather than just photography). But nice work, the bike shot looks particularly good.

Thanks everyone, I actually discovered today that I've got 9 small prints on the wall and not 8. I've been walking past 1 for a week!

The splash page looks fantastic. Nice simple background that grabs attention and I dig how it imports your twitter & blog into the page as well. I've also added you into my Twitter however I don't really use mine too much, it mostly just imports my FB page updates.

The splash page looks fantastic. Nice simple background that grabs attention and I dig how it imports your twitter & blog into the page as well. I've also added you into my Twitter however I don't really use mine too much, it mostly just imports my FB page updates.

Thanks Syntax, I've added you back on Twitter as you still link to your various sites, I also check Twitter more often for magazines and journals I follow. Linking my Facebook to Twitter however would be useless, it would be updated less that 12 times a year and full of profanity :lol:

I'm back from camping in the south. Got a large batch of pictures from Kew Gardens to upload but first I'll bring you an update from Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands. This was my first dealing with a car showroom.

4779777708_2001cd8ab5_b_d.jpg

4780106300_2c43fcc57f_b_d.jpg

4780107052_32fd2aa35d_b_d.jpg

4780107694_f2d605582c_b_d.jpg

4780108262_9d642712f4_b_d.jpg

4779474333_a9575f2806_b_d.jpg

4779474847_78dd088b0f_b_d.jpg

The place is excellent! Fairly clinical feel about it but it allowed for some nice pictures, the only problem I have is the square lighting which produced horrible reflections on the cars. On an un-related note, noise reduction in Lightroom 3 is fantastic.​

the only problem I have is the square lighting which produced horrible reflections on the cars.
Being that is my area of expertise, they really should have gone for direct/indirect lighting (80 up/20 down so the majority of the light bounces off of the ceiling) for general lighting so that the light sources don't produce the glare. 2x4's, and in this case 2x2's, are terrible for this unless there is a decent diffuser or baffle.

[/lighting nerd] :P

Lighting issues aside, the only criticism I have is with the SL shot, and maybe the floorplan limited your shooting options, if you could have gone a few feet to the right and taken the stairs out of the picture I think it might have come out a touch better. Fortunately, it's not a big issue, just me nitpicking.

Great shots and a great place to visit, I'm sure. :)👍

I wondering if a linear polarizing filter could help with the reflections. It has been a while since I've worked with one though, and more so with cars. Would force another stop or two as well...

I wondering if a linear polarizing filter could help with the reflections. It has been a while since I've worked with one though, and more so with cars. Would force another stop or two as well...

It probably would, I have one (but didn't take it) and considered it while I was there but I decided that I probably wouldn't of used it as I needed the two stops.

@TB: The main issue I could see with stepping to the right is that it would of placed the info stand across part of the car. Although I agree that the stairs are more distracting than I originally thought, I'll have a play around in Photoshop and see if I get anything good out of it.

Having been to MBW a few times, how on earth are there no people getting in the way? Now I know what can be done, I'm going to have to go back and raise my game.

Did you get anything from the track/skidpan outside?

Roo
Having been to MBW a few times, how on earth are there no people getting in the way? Now I know what can be done, I'm going to have to go back and raise my game.

Did you get anything from the track/skidpan outside?

I went on a Wednesday before all the kids broke up, more staff that visitors. :lol:
I didn't really find any opportunities at the track, couple that with the driving experiences not really taking place due to some event earlier in the week and me forgetting my Telephoto Lens I don't have a single shot to show.

I'm really annoyed at not taking my Telephoto, I knew the places we were going to visit and decided it would just be baggage but at the campsite we had a minimum of 5 Red Kites flying right over our heads all day. Added to that a Kingfisher regularly down at the fishing pond I really missed out on some decent wildlife photographs.

Haha I'm still shooting with the basic Alpha 200, which I really am finding a bit basic now. It's AF system has been annoying me so much, I wish I could upgrade but I cannot afford a new system.

I meant to post this collection from Kew Gardens last week but I've been so busy concentrating on my bicycle project it completely slipped my mind.

4780608144_737d99e6e3.jpg

4779973847_72fd0c9216.jpg

4780607146_d8f88ef894.jpg

4780608920_12c4735a8d.jpg

4780609464_6a0ce16fbc.jpg

4779977957_d7af7a577d.jpg

4779978651_d8685ce031.jpg

4779979931_1a2dfaafa3.jpg

4779980439_5c70c4e117.jpg

4779980963_7634e3995c.jpg

4780614492_75d9b501da.jpg

4779982803_e3f2865499.jpg

4780615936_16569f4232.jpg

4779984563_956144ed49.jpg

4781250454_8fe225e97f.jpg

I've just got back from a day at Silverstone Classic so over the coming week
I'll be posting batches up, this also means I've finally got a fresh stock for those automotive competitions.​

Those Kew shots are absolutely amazing, the DOF is perfect and the tones and colours just seem strikingly beautiful. Very good work. 👍

Nearly all of those at Kew were shot with my Minolta 50mm f1.7. The rest from Kew and all of Mercedes Benz World were with my kit 18-70mm f3.5/5.6.

The Minolta seems quality, I'm currently only using the kit 18-70mm (i have an A350), but i'm looking into getting a prime lens.

I think "WOW" sums this batch up nicely. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. You've got a knack for the minimalistic yet full of detail type shot that's happening here. I think notable mentions would be path, black & white green house, the one right above the grreen house shot, oh and #2.

Amazing composition in each one of them. They all look great. 👍

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Those Kew shots are absolutely amazing, the DOF is perfect and the tones and colours just seem strikingly beautiful. Very good work. 👍

Thanks Lloyd.

The Minolta seems quality, I'm currently only using the kit 18-70mm (i have an A350), but i'm looking into getting a prime lens.

It's a pretty neat lens and they don't cost much on eBay for one in good condition. However when shooting on a crop body, like your A350, I find it too restrictive for automotive subjects and portraits. A 28mm or 35mm Prime would be much better options if your subjects are fairly large.

I think "WOW" sums this batch up nicely. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. You've got a knack for the minimalistic yet full of detail type shot that's happening here. I think notable mentions would be path, black & white green house, the one right above the grreen house shot, oh and #2.

Thanks Achilles, I do like my minimalism :D

And now.... onto the Silverstone Classic.

4830637271_9b6988918e.jpg

4831252958_628618555e.jpg

4830638975_97835416df.jpg

4830639733_9f58d17c23.jpg

4830640795_2851b66f12.jpg

4830641739_da541aa52a.jpg

4831257728_32849302e7.jpg

4830643781_c4c4fbbf6a.jpg

4830645121_a0a4f54e04.jpg

4830646361_d302e45579.jpg

4831262506_7b5d27c335.jpg

4830648897_855155e4d5.jpg

4831264630_ccb7014dfe.jpg

4831265836_c349aec5ea.jpg

Also what is everyones opinion on the copyright watermark, should I make it slightly more transparent?

Love the F1 :P

I've already commented on my favourite on Flickr, but I really love the tones you've got here. The kind of slightly desaturated tones seem to work well in context with the classic event. I also love the BMW shot near the top, it works really well. How did you find Silverstone angles wise for the actual racing? Or did you just concentrate on the pit/paddock stuff?

Anyway nice set, you should do more motorsport. 👍

Love the F1 :P

I've already commented on my favourite on Flickr, but I really love the tones you've got here. The kind of slightly desaturated tones seem to work well in context with the classic event. I also love the BMW shot near the top, it works really well. How did you find Silverstone angles wise for the actual racing? Or did you just concentrate on the pit/paddock stuff?

Anyway nice set, you should do more motorsport. 👍

Thanks Adam. I found some nice angles available at Silverstone but as a spectator stuck behind the fence you'd need at least a 400mm lens to get the car filling most of the frame, sadly I don't have that. My best shots definitely came from the statics, I'm a bit out of practice with the panning too. I'd love to do more Motorsports but I find it so frustrating being stuck behind stupid fences, I have the angles and the knowledge to capture something good but I don't bother at the moment because all I'd get is the fence ruining it.

:lol: Everyone's at the F1 this week! The exposure on all these are spot on. Especially the first three shots, you've managed to get some great detail out of the clouds and not blow out any of the shot at all. 👍 Personally I opt for a slightly more transparent watermark but at the end of the day, it's really not a huge issue.

Mm. Incredible shots of some incredible machines. I could never even dream of seeing half of these cars, so I'm quite jealous. I especially like the garage shots, as it always adds some interest to the shot. And of course the F40 shot(s) are just ace.

I too would say the watermark could be more transparent. Just a tad. But it's there for a reason, and I agree it doesn't really matter.

Are these shot with the Minolta again? They are seriously seriously high quality, and super sharp. The DOF doesn't seem to fit the lens stats though so maybe I'm wrong....

Either way, I'd love to know your secrets! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back