Floats Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My jealousy towards Syntax has doubled now!

:lol: having it set to "machine gun" is pretty cool I must admit. Although you then end up having to sort out twice as many shots as usual. I had hoped to get some wicked crash sequences with it but no luck with this yet.

Sounds like the show was a blast. I've always wanted to go to one of these trade shows but every time there’s one on over here I have other obligations I need to attend :(

Sounds like the show was a blast. I've always wanted to go to one of these trade shows but every time there’s one on over here I have other obligations I need to attend :(

To be honest I was a little let down by it all. It was very studio orientated and I struggled to find any stands that had anything to do with other genres of photography. There wasn't really any new kit around either and only a couple of exhibitors had demonstrations going on (Sony, Adobe and Phase One to name the biggest).

I did bag a free Yo-Yo off the Panasonic stand though.

Misty Morning

4441010408_4c7cc34a94.jpg

This was taken for a recent college assignment on Landscapes. It was set on a Monday and due for Tuesday so I got lucky with the weather really. The fog certainly made a change from a usually empty sky in the morning.​

The picture looks quite good. The fog gives it a special touch and the composition is good, too. 👍

I like it. The mist adds a little personality - and colour - to what would otherwise be a fairly dull view. I particularly like the silhouetted trees and buildings in the background, fading more and more the further back they are.

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. Also, another update is in order. This weeks APC contest has got me looking though a lot of my static images from Donington Park again, I never really liked many of the statics before but now I'm seeing more potential in the shots. Oddly it was the DBRS9 that I picked out every time.

4453892823_d74f9d99dd.jpg

4455085075_a84b990a7a.jpg

4458538494_6652048ac4.jpg

4458541168_41d3582f23.jpg

All of these are available as usual on my Flickr for use on a desktop if you wish, link in my sig.​

You are liking the desaturated look a bit there ;) They look good, and the 2nd is by far my favorite... just look menacing and dramatic with it coming out of darkness, like some beast kept in a cave.

Thanks! the desaturation was more of a 'have to' instead of a 'want to'. The colours were so strong I was loosing detail in the bodywork :lol:. 2nd and 3rd probably my personal favourites.

Dude! I dig the de-saturated tones of these shots. The Astons look incredibly menacing in the dark and the open wheeler is full of great detail.

How could I miss this great update?! :banghead:

Anyways, very good shots. I dig the B&W ones. Loving the angles, too. 👍

There's a lot of really good photos here SSU 👍

You've definitely got a knack for capturing wildlife (and dogs). Most of mine end up with a well focussed shrub and a blurred animal!

Thanks alot for the comments everyone! I'm really starting to enjoy my photography much more again now spring is coming round.
Also decided to start up a Blog to post desktop size images of some of my photographs. Basically I'm not going to be allowing the download of original sizes on Flickr any more so that is the place to be if you'd like some High-Res (1920x1200). Plus a blog allows me to post other stuff too like my influences or just what I feel about photography at the time, which to me is just as important as the photos themselves.

4479902665_1416e6ff46.jpg

4480549284_64746fe51e.jpg

4479900563_bb9bf5c0f2.jpg

I'm hoping to take it in a similar direction to http://fiftyfootshadows.net/ which is the only blog I ever consistently check.

Last edited:
Updated my Blog again with this set of three wallpapers, really liked how these turned out.

4483441289_474f8fedbc.jpg

4484091896_37063c38fc.jpg

4484092404_89cc232589.jpg

I shot them this morning onto a plain white background I set up with some A4 sheets, changed the White Balance to Fluorescent in PP.​

The shots in post 224 are brilliant. Although they are all completely different in subject, they work well as a set. Your technique and composition is dramatically improved over the last few set as well (not that there was anything wrong with the earlier ones, I really like a lot of your earlier work as well).

I like what you did with the Fujica as well. Most people tend to either auto white balance or select the right one dependent on the lighting forgetting that you can get some great results from picking a different WB setting to the actual light. I admire your courage and I think you pulled it off. Gives the shots a retro feel 👍

Edit: forgot to mention, I've bookmarked your blog and I'll put it in my rotation of blogs I visit every few weeks.

The shots in post 224 are brilliant. Although they are all completely different in subject, they work well as a set. Your technique and composition is dramatically improved over the last few set as well (not that there was anything wrong with the earlier ones, I really like a lot of your earlier work as well).

I like what you did with the Fujica as well. Most people tend to either auto white balance or select the right one dependent on the lighting forgetting that you can get some great results from picking a different WB setting to the actual light. I admire your courage and I think you pulled it off. Gives the shots a retro feel 👍

Edit: forgot to mention, I've bookmarked your blog and I'll put it in my rotation of blogs I visit every few weeks.

Thanks :D. It's the first time I've shot in RAW and the PP options it allows after are so much better than shooting in jpeg. I thought I may as well experiment with them as I have the chance :lol:.

Beautiful shots! But why posting so small pictures?

Just so I don't overfill peoples monitors, I'd rather people saw the whole shot small than be scrolling around a picture.

Holy 🤬

May I please request a 1280X800 sized version of this?

You can get it 1920x1200 on my Blog, along with the other two I put in that post. 1920x1200 will shrink to 1280x800 perfectly as they are the same aspect ratio (16:10). I've put them in a .ZIP at the bottom of each post.

Finally took my camera out with my biking for once! Although the place we were going is fairly tight and the background consists of boring dead trees so I decided to keep my 50mm f1.7 on. No panning this time but I got a few detail shots that turned out really nice, today just confirmed to me why I love Prime lenses so much but also how I desperately need a 35mm Prime.

4503329507_4a5e98090c_b.jpg

Going out biking again tomorrow but this time I'm taking the Fujica with me, hoping to do some nice portraits in the half-pipe with the 28mm f2.8 attached. Should have the shots developed within the next week.​

Nice shot.

I’ve just had the below email from IMBikemag. Not sure how you feel about submitting your photos but it’s a very good online mountain bike mag and it would be pretty cool to get your pictures published, judging by this thread and your blog I think you could easily produce good enough photos for it.

We are keen to involve our readers even more in IMBIKEMAG, and this is your chance to get in the magazine! We have launched an interactive forum where you can post your pics, and if we like them we’ll make you famous! All you need to do is sign up, and upload your favourite MTB pictures of yourself or your friends. It is that simple!

To sign up and get uploading click here: http://www.imbikemag.com/forum/register.php

Then simply upload your pictures to the Readers Gallery section by posting a new thread here: http://www.imbikemag.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?4-Readers-Gallery
In Issue 5 we will print the best shots in the magazine and you get the bragging rights!

Feel free to use the chat, article suggestion and technique areas too here: http://www.imbikemag.com/forum

Enjoy...

The IMBIKEMAG Team
http://www.imbikemag.com

Nice shot.

I’ve just had the below email from IMBikemag. Not sure how you feel about submitting your photos but it’s a very good online mountain bike mag and it would be pretty cool to get your pictures published, judging by this thread and your blog I think you could easily produce good enough photos for it.

Ooh, yeah, giving your images away is a great idea!

Magazines doing this sort of thing really hacks me off. Crowdsourcing like this devalues the work of professionals who are trying to earn a living, and devalues amateurs who could get real validation through being paid for a great shot. It's lowest-common-denominator stuff.

Thanks evilneal but like Giles said, it's a really cheap trick. My college tutors were quick to inform us about all these tricks when we started the course.

It did cross my mind you may not want to give photos away for free, I guess the way Giles puts it does show it to be pretty lame.

No worries :)

Ooh, yeah, giving your images away is a great idea!

Magazines doing this sort of thing really hacks me off. Crowdsourcing like this devalues the work of professionals who are trying to earn a living, and devalues amateurs who could get real validation through being paid for a great shot. It's lowest-common-denominator stuff.

Amen :cheers: I have so many people contact to use shots that I work very hard to achieve after having spent countless hours studying and practicing and use thousands of dollars worth of equipment and they expect it for free?? Problem is that a lot of people will give shots away for free which devalues our work.

Got my Film images back yesterday, learnt an important lesson. Don't be fancy with exposures on the camera unless you process the images yourself! Having them done on the cheap only leads to auto correcting done by the machine, hence overexposing a good handful of images. It's the way I shoot but I'll just have to adjust that for next time. Anyway here are the shots I am happy with, mostly colour balance adjustments in photoshop.

4521328149_8268c992ff.jpg

Not entirely happy with this image, I wish the depth of field was much shallower but I'm pleased with the framing, originally I had exposed it with much more detail in the sky but that got auto-corrected out. Still pleased though.

4521963284_674cbd4937.jpg

4521964944_9be9b6b1a9.jpg

4521331971_7748b49c53.jpg

4521967124_e23dd53710.jpg

His arms really were that red, first truly sunny day this year and we all got sun-burnt! Awesome.

4521334397_f3a98d949e.jpg

Personally, I actually like the first shot. Lack of DOF does not seem to detract from the shot at all. In fact it's refreshing to see such a sharp shot. What lens did you use for these? I like the cross process feel of the last shot too.

Overall I really enjoy this series, it tells a story and the shots are well executed. 👍

Also I wouldn’t trust most labs in regards to my artistic vision, it pays to get to build rapport with smaller lab proprietor who have the time of day to listen to outrageous whims. I have one I visit occasionally for film printing as I know he will deliver exactly what I ask of him.

Personally, I actually like the first shot. Lack of DOF does not seem to detract from the shot at all. In fact it's refreshing to see such a sharp shot. What lens did you use for these? I like the cross process feel of the last shot too.

Also I wouldn’t trust most labs in regards to my artistic vision, it pays to get to build rapport with smaller lab proprietor who have the time of day to listen to outrageous whims. I have one I visit occasionally for film printing as I know he will deliver exactly what I ask of him.

Thanks! I used a 28mm f2.8 but I also think the lab sharpens the JPEG's when they transfer the negatives to CD.

Regarding the Lab, they are a massive chain of stores in the UK (Boots if anyone was wondering), went on the cheap because I didn't shoot the images for a particular reason and the film I got free from college. In future though if I were doing this for a college assignment I'd find a local lab and have them do it, or do it myself in the college darkroom.

Even processed badly I still think they have a nicer quality than digital, I love film so much! Definitely going to pick up a Minolta Dynax 7 for my Birthday.

yeah I'm fairly certain they have a preset sharpening that occurs with the big chain labs. I use them occasionally as well as they are cheap but only for personal stuff.

The Dynax 7 looks pretty shmick. If I wasn't so obsessed with shooting all my film stuff with my ancient Minolta XG-M I would consider picking one up as well as I have heard a lot of great things about it.

The Dynax 7 looks pretty shmick. If I wasn't so obsessed with shooting all my film stuff with my ancient Minolta XG-M I would consider picking one up as well as I have heard a lot of great things about it.

I have an old Minotla X-700 and there is just something about that camera body style and feel.

As for the cheap labs printing and auto-correct, I think some can turn it off if you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back