FM Vs GT - Discussion Thread (read the first post before you post)

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 8,743 comments
Whoa....that must be one of the best set of rims I have seen on a car. Are those factory? đź‘Ť:drool:
No, those are the factory rims:
Rextreme_AkiGun09.jpg

Nissan_Skyline_R33_GT-R_002.jpg

Can't tell you which wheels those are, though. Sorry...

No, those are the factory rims:
Rextreme_AkiGun09.jpg

Can't tell you which wheels those are, though. Sorry...

Ah, thanks Luminis...always a wealth of knowledge you are. Either way, those custom wheels make me moist. They have a pearlesque shine to them.

Ah, thanks Luminis...always a wealth of knowledge you are. Either way, those custom wheels make me moist. They have a pearlesque shine to them.
Thanks, the kind words are much appreciated :) But there's still a lot to learn ;)

Glad to be helpful, though.

Think I've got the wheels. If you look closely, there are two little screews to either side of each spoke, connecting the spoke to the outer part of the wheel. I knew I've seen that somewhere before:

DSC05589.jpg

DSC05594.jpg

Volk Racing SF Challenge. The surface of the spokes should be fitting as well, so yeah, I'm fairly confident the rims on the R33 up there are these.

Close Luminis but they appear to be slightly different. Here is a pic from the side. They are 10.5 X 19" VOLK RACING GTC SPLIT RIMS
29792950111_large.jpg

Yeah those are GTCs.
Great wheel for that car.

And on topic, Im tired of everyone saying GT is a sim.
GT is not a sim, it may "feel" realistic, but its simply not a sim.
If you want sim, you wont find it on a console.

Dreamcast?? Did they even have a wheel for the Dreamcast? No wheel=no sim
There were wheels released for the Dreamcast, but your "theory" still holds no water.

The physics of the game are not determined by the controller. GT5 is a simulator for the console, yet several people play it with a gamepad instead of a wheel. GTR2 can be played with a keyboard instead of a wheel as well. That does not suddenly make them anything-but-sims for those folks.

Luminis
Well, what games had better tyre models in the industry, back then, on consoles? Not too many games I could think of in, what, 2007?

What does the AWD swap issue have to do with it? That's a problem of the PI system, which doesn't take the added grip from the AWD into account, just the added weight.

Even if it is not the best, all they need to do is improve over FM3's. If they do, they'll be fairly close to having the best on consoles, anyways. Just to repeat this: Whether they're claim of "best in the industry" was true or not, FM3's tyre model is good. It has it's flaws, sure, just as GT5 does have its issues with its tyres. If they improve on that already good model, that's all they need to do to end up with a very good one, not unlikely to be one of the best on a console.

To make this clear: I know that you can conserve your tyres and that, while doing so, you will get more life out of hard tyres than out of soft ones. The loss of time you are taking with that is so big, though, that it's not worth it, as you'll be loosing so much time a lap, that the additional pit stop is well worth it - there is no advantage to doing this. And that's why people are bringing it up: With GT5, preserving your tyres does not net you anything - thus, if you're out to actually go fast, hard tyre compounds won't get you anything. That's from various attempts at the Grand Valley 300KM race, using the stock (aside from the oil change) FT-86 G-Sport Concept for good comparability of the individual runs, about ten to fifteen with just the FT-86.

Now, is that realistic, I wonder?

And what are your experiences with FM3, then? You've now been rambling on about FM3, and even if some of the stuff was supposeldy carried over, a lot was changed from FM2 to FM3 - so I'm still saying that there is absolutely no point to bring it up.

How about you going ahead, doing some in FM3, so we can stop talking about the dated predecessor?

There's really no point in me answering questions you raise simply because you chose to continuously drop out of the context in which I put my reasoning - at your convenience.

There's really no point in me answering questions you raise simply because you chose to continuously drop out of the context in which I put my reasoning - at your convenience.
You've gone from tyre wear to tyre model to AWD swaps to assumptions about FM4 you've based on FM2 without acknowledging the advancements made by FM3 - what context is there to drop out of, in the first place?

Luminis
While I have been using it, I've never used Racing Softs in the first place, so that bit was indeed second-hand information. If it's wrong, I apologize for that.

See, this is the kind of post that'll lead to a lot of, well, not so friendly reactions, I think... Calling one of the two games arcady without giving any reasoning whatsoever. Fine with me, though, just saying...

Im sorry but i've seen numerous amounts of comments saying that forza's physics are way too forgiving, like say the famous chicane through laguna seca, you can have the oppertunity to brake a lot later, and brake through it a lot more than gt's version... Not saying Gran turismo is perfect, anybody saying that is brainwashed, but judging by so many video comparisons gt has had the closest times to RL, look up the miata videos on laguna, lexus videos on fuji, merc sls vids on nurburgring nordshleife, and beamer vids on la sarthe, mind you forza has been workig with pirelli tyre companies and does out perform gt in many other ways...

Da-Bomber
How Gt is a simulator and forza isn't? Provide facts please.

Gt has simulator in its name.... Hahaha jk idunno gt seems to me like the kind of game where you would be focusing more on how you set and brake lap times... Focusing on how to not only outperform others, but to out perform yourself, not that forza doesnt have that side too, just sayin it seems like gt has more of it, while forza seems like the kind of game you would call your close friends and race online and buy eachothers liveries, make a couple drift videos and then go play with the suspension or change the drivetrain around for a bit....

E D I T !! These are mere opinions not facts...

Both are not fully SIMs games, but Forza 3 is less than GT5 due to the fact of a driving aid that cannot be turned off (more like an active steering), only it makes the game much more for arcade than simulator. You can push a Forza car more harder in it's limits, beyond an acceptable line...It makes the game not so enjoyable...
Anyone who has played both games can say, try to drive the same car on it's edge in both Forza 3 and GT5, see the differences.

There is also the fact that all cars have the same behavior on FM3, except for the drivetrain type, where all the cars behave the same way in each type, they dont have self identity.

I really hope that T10 have worked better for Forza 4 in these areas, not only in the graphical of the game ...

I wouldn't speak to soon. We may lose Porsche for FM4.

Unlike 99% of people, I usually don't jump to conclusions.

Thus far the only evidence is that another manufacturer that has been used as a replacement has been added.

Really, the whole thing is like saying Ford won't be in as Shelby and Saleen are.

There is also the fact that all cars have the same behavior on FM3, except for the drivetrain type, where all the cars behave the same way in each type, they dont have self identity.

In your opinion maybe. I know for a fact that to me my
E-type Jaguar
E30 M3
E92 M3
3.0 CSL
Buick Regal GNX
Stingray 427
Zr1 Vette
Z28
599 GTB
94' MX5
RX-7
amongst plenty of others feel totally different as stock cars in FM3.

That's stretching it.

Having ran many different cars for prolonged in leagues I can tell you each have their inherent handling differences, even car with the same drive train.

Even subtle things like engine position affecting COG and wheelbase are reflected.

There were wheels released for the Dreamcast, but your "theory" still holds no water.

The physics of the game are not determined by the controller. GT5 is a simulator for the console, yet several people play it with a gamepad instead of a wheel. GTR2 can be played with a keyboard instead of a wheel as well. That does not suddenly make them anything-but-sims for those folks.

I know what you mean but there is no way to TEST whether a game is a simulator or not unless you use a wheel. You cant determine whether or not a game is a sim with a controller. Yes there are sims that you can use keyboards and gamepads but how much of a sim the game truly is must be tested first with a wheel.

F355 Challenge for the Dreamcast would disagree. It's very much a sim on every level.

I don't find it that impressive, generally it feels correct but on the absolute limit it is a very simple game.

I have dropped at least $1000 in the triple screen Arcade machine and won a few local competitions with it. :ill:

I don't find it that impressive, generally it feels correct but on the absolute limit it is a very simple game.

I have dropped at least $1000 in the triple screen Arcade machine and won a few local competitions with it. :ill:
Of course as a whole game, it's simple. It's just 1 car, some opponents & a few tracks. The physics though, remain some of the best around, imo.

I haven't dropped that much cash into one, but I will say I have spent a fair amount of time in the one nearby as well. It's pretty addictive. đź‘Ť

Of course as a whole game, it's simple. It's just 1 car, some opponents & a few tracks. The physics though, remain some of the best around, imo.

I haven't dropped that much cash into one, but I will say I have spent a fair amount of time in the one nearby as well. It's pretty addictive. đź‘Ť

By simple I just mean driving wise, and there are instance where you can run really fast times intentionally fishtailing it, hence something is flawed in their physics model.

But of course the whole package, especially the steering and sound are really immersive, that gated gear box on the arcade is a real gem!

Back