Fonts that you love and hate: Typographical discussion.

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 276 comments
I’ve found my favourite font….
16hjmhf.png
:D

Here are a couple bits of documentary film about the declining trade of making type by hand.

Here's one called Up There, which is about hand-painted advertisements.

Typeface, which takes a look at the changing form of print media, as well as its hand-carved roots.

[youtubehd]oAHQ2AGtZr8[/youtubehd]

Currently in production titled The Sign Painter has some updates here, however there isn't any trailer yet.

I was going through some of my camera stuff and noticed a Leica brochure in my stack of manuals. Leica's font is pretty sweet - especially the '8'. Anyone have an idea what it is? Googling didn't reveal much.. (image links to larger version)

I was going through some of my camera stuff and noticed a Leica brochure in my stack of manuals. Leica's font is pretty sweet - especially the '8'. Anyone have an idea what it is? Googling didn't reveal much.. (image links to larger version)

Leica use a custom font called LG 1050 for their lenses.

I actually dug this thread up to post that very comic, as Hipster Hitler is hilarious. But I'll revive it because there needs to be more discussion on typography.

More so with Comic Sans actually being used on the forum at the moment :rolleyes:

Pffft Comic Sans is my go-to font for anything that is going to be displayed predominantly. There is no more professional looking font in the world than Comic Sans.

I'm kidding guys, please don't hang me.

There is no way that bike reward ad is Century Gothic. Since when did it have serifs?

I remember seeing a picture of a sign a door that said somnething in Comic Sans, and then the note above it says "We are a Fortune 500 Company, not a lemonade stand, so we don't use Comic Sans, thank you.

Maybe it was here, I don't remember...

But who ever made this made an awful mistake.

I actually dug this thread up to post that very comic, as Hipster Hitler is hilarious. But I'll revive it because there needs to be more discussion on typography.

If Hipster Hitler is mad at Arial because of non-horizontal terminals on the lowercase a then he's doing it for show because

1) there are way worse problems with that typeface than the lousy a
2) Akzidenz Grotesk, the typeface that Helvetica was based on, has slanted terminals on all letters:

Objectified.gif

I find it far more elegant than Helvetica and use it way more unless I'm looking for an ultra light, but even then Helvetica isn't my go-to.

-edit-

If anyone's employer demands that they use a kiddie typeface and want something more bouncy and comic-like, check out HVD Comic Serif Pro. It's free (although may be CC non-com) and is a great substitute for MS Comic Sans.

[/nerd]
[/hipster]

Last edited:
IIf anyone's employer demands that they use a kiddie typeface and want something more bouncy and comic-like, check out HVD Comic Serif Pro. It's free (although may be CC non-com) and is a great substitute for MS Comic Sans.

Thanks for this, I can see it coming in handy. Glad to see another fan of Akzidenz, too. I still need to watch Objectified!

Like Exige said, Supreme's logo has been, for a very long time, Futura.

I still need to watch Objectified!

Watch it, but don't expect it to be amazing. It was cut to appeal to a mainstream audience more than to designers, whereas Helvetica tells a great story that designers can still appreciate. There isn't anything new in Objectified, and it doesn't have a discourse the way the previous film had a dialogue between modernism and post-modernism. Objectified is just an arbitrary portrayal of the product design scene. I did appreciate some of the manufacture footage, though.

Gary Hustwit's next film is about urban planning, closing three chapters of 20th century design.

Necro-bump!

Been working on a Snellen-type Font, as I can't find one for free and the paid one only has ten letters... I sure as was not paying for something I could simply make myself... so I did.

Only problem is... it's awfully difficult to have something aesthetically pleasing following the Snellen standards, so I had to compromise:

eyechartsample.jpg

I'm still following the line-width and overall size standards, but I've fudged the spacing a bit.

The red letters are discards, the first "H", the last "A", the "NYU" at the end all follow Snellen rules, but I didn't like them.

Should I go for full-authentic, or stick with this?

Very fishy that I haven't replied in this thread yet.

In any case, I'm loving Bleeding Cowboys and Archetype; my absolute favorite would have to be Sliced AB, even if every letter is self-capitalized. :grumpy:

I've actually been really liking the standard (for Office '07) Calibri 11 point font lately, probably even more than Arial Narrow.

And I hate Comic Sans now, don't worry. That and TNR can go die in my opinion.

So... now that you're all here? Comments?

eyechartsample.jpg

I'm about to convert this to .pdb, and I want to be sure it's reasonably coherent. Don't know any other font-freaks in real-life, so I have no one to ask...

So... now that you're all here? Comments?
The slab serifs for all the applicable letters make the naked 'M' and 'W' stand out to me but I understand the reason for the omission. Other than that, I give it a 20/20. :dopey:

Back