For Hip-Hop heads only: What's your favorite old school joint?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter s0nny80y
  • 330 comments
  • 51,824 views
A super old Too Short classic that I stumbled upon a month ago.

 
 
Notorious Big - Juicy. Actually I rarely hear hip hop. But for notorious big juicy song. Or NWA will never get old. General compton california rap.
 
I've been on a strong Houston kick lately.



Lots of Pimp C and UGK. Would've been cool if Pimp C didn't kill himself with all that lean. That guy's swag was ridiculous. His live stuff was better than his recordings, which is crazy unheard of for rappers.
 


The crown jewel of Liquid Swords. Anybody who says Liquid Swords isn't the best solo Wu-Tang album is frankly a lost cause.
 
How bout this, sounds as old school. And Method flow. Dope!

 
Anybody who says Liquid Swords isn't the best solo Wu-Tang album is frankly a lost cause.

I feel like it's hard to split Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, they're both brilliant and both deserve the same recognition.
 
My favourite..



Some UK stuff around 1990, still sound awesome now IMO:





 
Surprised this isn't on thread (maybe one of the no show videos?):

 
Fantastic beat tape IMO:

 
And another one:

 
There's way too many classic tracks to pick just one:



 
A pretty substantial necro for sure, but with February '21 (February 10th specifically) being the 15th Anniversary of J Dilla's passing, I've been on a pretty strong Jay Dee binge recently. I feel like I just keep on finding beats, remixes and songs/features of his that I never even knew existed, and almost all of it is wonderful.

This is only a small collection of my favorites as of late (General NSFW warning on all Lyrics). I'd post more, but there's (understandably) a 5 video limit.









 
Love Golden Age Hip Hop, good times... so much quality to choose from!

RIP Double K








RIP Doom
 
If anyone's interested, I made this tribute to early 90s boom bap during the first lockdown. Traditional boom bap elements, along with subtle samples from rock, metal & punk, and some classic verses thrown in for good measure.

 
Digable Planets - Where I'm From (1993)

Always loved Digable Plantes, and I'll always be sad that there were only 2 albums that they put out.

Each of their songs are great, but I think Borough Check with GURU is my overall favorite.



Rue
That's pretty sick. Always loved that song, but I never knew that they made a music video for it, let alone in Hong Kong.
 
Always loved Digable Plantes, and I'll always be sad that there were only 2 albums that they put out.

Each of their songs are great, but I think Borough Check with GURU is my overall favorite.




That's pretty sick. Always loved that song, but I never knew that they made a music video for it, let alone in Hong Kong.

Yeah! Cool innit. I once served Jeru when I worked in a fish n chip shop in Bristol in the UK circa 1999. The world works in mysterious ways!
 
RIP Biz! Hip Hop loses another legend from the game.
 
Happy Birthday to arguably 2 of the greatest to ever spin some records.

James Dewitt Yancey, aka J Dilla (02/07/1974 - 02/10/2006)

Dilla Drums.jpg








Jun Seba
, aka Nujabes (02/07/1974 - 02/26/2006)

Nujabes.jpg




 
Last edited:
Back