Ford Mustang Mach-E

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 286 comments
In hindsight, the infrastructure to build for hover capability over these past 60 years, could have advanced technology to new heights. Too bad no one wants to lose money in the tire industry.

Rumor- New Mach 1 to be based on the Focus C2 platform
ford-2624.jpg

Ford is pressing ahead with its first all-new battery electric vehicle, a front-drive crossover – and it is committed to the Mondeo in Europe until the mid-2020s, despite last month's announcement that it is pulling out of the saloon and hatchback market in the US.

The all-electric crossover, dubbed Mach 1 in reference to its Mustang-derived styling features, has been confirmed as a globally engineered model to be revealed next year, with UK deliveries starting in 2020.

The crossover, codenamed CX430, will be built on the C2 platform used for the new Focus and has been in Ford’s product plan for several years.

The CX430 will be additional to the Kuga and, since it is based on the front-wheel-drive C2 platform, it is expected to be conventional hatchback-like, with a slightly raised driving position.

Ford has identified ‘white paper’ models like the CX430 to replace saloons and hatches in its US line-up. Further crossovers with Mustang design cues and front-drive chassis are a strong possibility because they combine “the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as high ride height, space and versatility”.
AutoCar

Well, after learning of Ford's news regarding replacing their car lineup with more CUVs. I guess that answers my question on how they would fit this hunk of metal in the lineup.

I have a good idea. Porsche should make an all new battery powered sedan. They should call it the Carrera GT

With the Panamera E-Hybrid Sport Turismo they almost did that, since both Panamera and Carrera are derived from the Carrera Panamericana. So it's almost battery powered, almost a sedan, almost a Carrera and almost a GT ;)

Just what is it with manufacturers killing legendary names with BLEEPING SUVs? This is starting to really piss me off! My levels of disappointment are dangerously near the roof...

Just what is it with manufacturers killing legendary names with BLEEPING SUVs? This is starting to really piss me off! My levels of disappointment are dangerously near the roof...
Legendary...

Yeah, it got less and less "legendary" through its first ~decade of production before the moniker was canned. Ford brought it back a quarter century later as a retro money-grab for just two years before dropping it again. Now nearly 15 years on, I'm not the least bit surprised by their proposal for its third incarnation.

Funny thing is...if I were to buy a Mach 1, I'd pick one of these over a Mustang without batting a lash.

I think you and I both know why: marketing.
This basically, the car market at the moment favors CUVs and SUVs. Ford is basically trying to use the Mach 1 name to possibly attract buyers that loved the nameplate, but had to give up their fun cars for families.

Funny thing is...if I were to buy a Mach 1, I'd pick one of these over a Mustang without batting a lash.
I most definitely wouldn't pick some bland CUV over a Mustang, but to each their own I suppose.

---
To note, it could end up being a good performer for all I know. I'm going to keep an eye out for what it ends up being, though I have a hunch I'm going to forget about it like other sporty crossovers.

I most definitely wouldn't pick some bland CUV over a Mustang, but to each their own I suppose.
Oh I have absolutely no interest in a bland crossover, but if a gun were held to my head to coerce me into taking ownership of a vehicle with the moniker, I'd sooner choose a crossover than a Mustang. I won't ever be a Mustang owner.

Could be worse. The Mitsubishi Evo is also getting the same insulting treatment. What's next? A DeTomaso Crossover? Please god no.....

It's actually a really smart move by Ford to improve pedestrian safety. By not attaching the Mach 1 name to a Mustang, it's already dramatically lowered the vehicle's chances of mowing people over.

Could be worse. The Mitsubishi Evo is also getting the same insulting treatment. What's next? A DeTomaso Crossover? Please god no.....

The attempted revival of DeTomaso in 2011 gave us the 5-Series GT-esque Deauville concept.
001detomaso01.jpg

Last edited:
I have a good idea. Porsche should make an all new battery powered sedan. They should call it the Carrera GT

The original Carrera GT was front engined with a VW van-derived four-pot. So no closer to a mid-engined V10 hypercar then a hybrid saloon.

:lol: Man, you really hate that car.
I do. Admittedly, my loathfulness draws largely from the owners of the cars rather than the cars themselves. I might be a little more accepting of the breed if it'd followed a logical path in terms of styling, but the 2005 retro money-grab rehash just cemented my opinion.

Camaros are a skosh better in that regard, but they suffer from having been killed off (oh well) only to be brought back with similar treatment as the Mustang.

Challengers, during their long absence, didn't particularly appeal to me but I had no issue with them either, in fact I nearly bought a 318 car back in the early '90s. The cars weren't nearly ubiquitous enough to possess the same sort of ownership stigma. Owners of the new cars strike me as displaying the height of douchebaggery. Their advertising campaigns even depict them as the sort to blitz apathetic through garden parties. I had one guy pull next to me on the shoulder while at a single lane light and sit on his horn as he tried unsuccessfully to wedge himself behind the car in front of me, only to make a left once I was in the intersection.

Contrary to popular belief when my position on Mustangs comes up, it isn't a "Ford" thing. I even quite like the Fox-body Capri and would love to own an early Falcon/Comet (on which the Mustang was originally based) if only I had the space and funds to possess a number of other things first.

I do. Admittedly, my loathfulness draws largely from the owners of the cars rather than the cars themselves. I might be a little more accepting of the breed if it'd followed a logical path in terms of styling, but the 2005 retro money-grab rehash just cemented my opinion.
Ah yes, I can understand that. I actually like the styling of the 5th gen Mustangs, though preferred the 2010-14 facelift.

had one guy pull next to me on the shoulder while at a single lane light and sit on his horn as he tried unsuccessfully to wedge himself behind the car in front of me, only to make a left once I was in the intersection.
That reminds me of the aggressive Dodge drivers that I would sometimes encounter on highways when I lived in northwest Florida. I recall a Charger tailgating me for driving the speed limit (in the right-hand lane) while in the pouring rain.

Contrary to popular belief when my position on Mustangs comes up, it isn't a "Ford" thing. I even quite like the Fox-body Capri and would love to own an early Falcon/Comet (on which the Mustang was originally based) if only I had the space and funds to possess a number of other things first.
That's cool, I honestly never thought it was a "Ford" thing. I remember you being fine when I posted Falcon pictures a few times in that Muscle Car thread.

The attempted revival of DeTomaso in 2011 gave us the 5-Series GT-esque Deauville concept.
001detomaso01.jpg
I'm getting serious Hyundai vibes from looking at that.

That's cool, I honestly never thought it was a "Ford" thing. I remember you being fine when I posted Falcon pictures a few times in that Muscle Car thread.
That I didn't object isn't indicative of acceptance, just that I wasn't compelled to bloviate or bluster.

:P

And I wasn't suggesting you thought I was expressing my distaste for Mustangs on the basis of them being a Ford product, but that it's a misconception that I witness often enough for it to be significant. In case anyone dismissed my earlier negative comments regarding the Mach 1 name and Mustangs it was attributed to as my not liking Fords, I wanted to make it clear.

Point of fact, while I've never owned a Ford product in part or full, but having been owner of a Chevy and part owner of a Chrysler product (Jeep), Fords pique my interest more than either of the others--particularly Thunderbirds and XL/Marauders.

Anyway, enough bloviating...

:P

Worst thing is every 🤬 🤬 🤬🤬 🤬 soccer mum is going to buy this 🤬 🤬 🤬 and think it is 🤬 something.

I can’t wait for the Ford Windstar RS
:lol:

Don't be ridiculous...

The Windstar/Freestar is too contemporary to garner enough retro appeal. Aerostar RS on the other hand...

Then there's the successor to the massive Excursion, the GT140--boasting "Giant Tires" and a "140"-inch wheelbase.

Back