Ford Mustang Mach-E

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 286 comments
Drones! Drones to hold up the cord. Problem solved!

Seriously, showing the potential of EVs has to be a thing. Anyone "disconnecting" ICE from a hybrid, for more power? I'd find it interesting if someone were to customise a hybrid Camry or any hybrid Toyota/Lexus to sports car levels.

I'm saying, if it's cheaper to buy a hybrid over an EV, is it possible to tune the electric motor(of a hybrid) to a full EV power levels?

I think the electric motors on hybrid cars are typically pretty small / low output. The CR-Z's electric motor, for instance, only develops 14hp. They are for assisting, not for main propulsion.

I think the electric motors on hybrid cars are typically pretty small / low output. The CR-Z's electric motor, for instance, only develops 14hp. They are for assisting, not for main propulsion.
I wonder if the same principle, say a small capacity ICE(F20C), being able to achieve big level of power, can be applied to small capacity electric motors in hybrids.

You mentioned/reminded me it's for assistance. Still interests me if the hybrid would require a separate power source(bigger battery/bigger motor or just a bigger motor/small battery). Obviously, I must research to find answers to my many questions. I'd just like to see if it's cheaper to achieve the same or better outcome versus an EV.

I wonder if the same principle, say a small capacity ICE(F20C), being able to achieve big level of power, can be applied to small capacity electric motors in hybrids.
I think it's a matter of uprating the motor to handle increased voltage, but by the time you've done that, you may as well have a larger motor with higher capacity.

The YASA pancake motors specified for the modified Mach-E above are rated to ~135hp and ~220ft-lb torque continuous output from a device just 12 inches in diameter and 3.2 inches of axial length, weighing 53lbs. That's decent output for something of that size, and they appear to be physically stackable [Edit: The site that @ProjectWHaT quoted said they'd been stacked in the modified Mach-E].

abc91c6154cbcef7bb8b6104a6b6363d.png

I think it's a matter of uprating the motor to handle increased voltage, but by the time you've done that, you may as well have a larger motor with higher capacity.

The YASA pancake motors specified for the modified Mach-E above are rated to ~135hp and ~220ft-lb torque continuous output from a device just 12 inches in diameter and 3.2 inches of axial length, weighing 53lbs. That's decent output for something of that size, and they appear to be physically stackable [Edit: The site that @ProjectWHaT quoted said they'd been stacked in the modified Mach-E].

Cool stuff.

Without derailing this thread. The BTCC hybrid powerplants are making me think more about hybrid applications over an EV. In the same breath, I do love where EVs are headed. Especially, with the possibilities of affordable performance models( I guess). Just sharing brief thoughts. 👍

I actually really like the GT. It is surprisingly quick and at least the faux grille makes it look more like a real Mustang.

Far more desirable than a Model Y in my view.

If I stick to a routine, my daily trip is less than 25kms. Especially, with speeds being reduced to 30km/h in my area. An EV makes total sense for me.

I think the review embargo for the Mach-E was lifted.

Also, I just thought of another name that Ford could've used; the Pon-E. Oh well. *shrug*\

EDIT: There's another problem I have with this SUV, they gave the interior a stupid, tablet looking interface.

Last edited:

71x2Mq0kFhL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

*war flashbacks*

It's pretty amazing to me that Ford is one of the few traditional OEMs that has a genuine, lower-cost competitor to the Tesla Model 3/Y and it's real and in production and you can buy one and it's pretty good and...their stock price is $9.15/share. Not only do they have the Mach E, but they also have an electric van and the most realistic-yet commercial-grade electric pickup truck coming soon. Like Ford is poised to have a huge chunk of the commercial EV market on lock and nobody seems to notice. It's almost mind blowing.

(Disclosure: I'm long Ford :lol:)

Last edited:
All the Mustang you could ever want

But it was down to like $5 this summer ask me how I know lol. If you wanted to get in you already missed the low-low.
I'm riding the wave. I haven't broken even yet. Doing better than Nissan stock. :confused:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38444/this-is-what-the-ford-mustang-mach-e-almost-looked-like

This is what the Ford EV could have looked had it not been branded as a Mustang

mach-e-render-hero.jpg

Before Ford's all-electric Mach-E was a member of the Mustang family, it was a futuristic-looking concept that Ford executives were convinced wouldn't sell. With tall rooflines and a forgettable face, the design of the would-be all-electric vehicle became an impasse to management. Engineers were sent back to the drawing board to create something more memorable, but for a while, there was nothing Mustang about it.

The project began in May 2017. According to the Detroit Free Press, the Mustang Mach-E had been in development for some time already, and its original purpose wasn't to create a brand icon, but instead to create a vehicle that simply helped meet government-mandated fuel economy targets. But that would all change once Ford executives got a look at what designers had been up to.

Jim Farley, who wasn't yet Ford's CEO when the initial concept was revealed, immediately spotted a problem with the design. "When I first saw it ... I said, 'Oh, boy. Houston, we have a problem.'" He went on to call the entire package "a science project," and with the blessing of then-CEO Jim Hackett, sent the engineers back to the drawing board.

Farley has been credited by other Ford executives as "instrumental" to the Mach-E's inclusion into the Mustang family. It was him, according to the lore behind the project, that decided to use the Mustang as a spiritual lodestar—inspiration—for the Mach-E. Design concepts were reportedly drawn up that showed more and less Mustang influence until a suitable middle ground was met.

The final product was unveiled at the 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show and while it retained the proportions of a crossover, it now had much more soul.

message-editor%2F1609172223979-mustangmache-3.gif

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38444/this-is-what-the-ford-mustang-mach-e-almost-looked-like

This is what the Ford EV could have looked had it not been branded as a Mustang

mach-e-render-hero.jpg
The floating roof alone makes it look outdated and forgettable considering just about every car company has used that design cue in the last six years, sometimes on things that it makes no sense to include it on.

The rest is just very... generic. You could have told me this was a Honda vehicle and I wouldn't have questioned it.

I prefer the non Mustang version, looks very much like a Lexus model. Have tried to warm to the Mach E but nope, it's still sacrilege imo.

I'm also going to say I prefer the concept version, though it actually gives me more 90s vibes than 80s vibes. However, I think that design could work in the market with a couple of alterations. Also, give it a cool name that screams space or something.

As pathetic as it is calling and styling it as a Mustang, the silver thing looks like a rejected New Edge design that they dusted off and tacked on the floating roof crap from an old Nissan concept.

I don't know what to say. This is an embarrassing disaster. See, people, listen. This right here is the kind of test and review that we need of EVs, because frankly every car maker can make a car. I don't care about that. Carwow's range tests (all of which have been won by Teslas), this guy's road trip tests (all of which have been won by Teslas), Engineering Explained's efficiency calculations (all of which have been won by Teslas), these are the tests that we need because for whatever reason the OEMs refuse to provide us the information that we need to make an informed choice. I have to assume they do this to protect themselves because they know they've made deficient products. Every car maker makes cars, they have wheels, they go, some are slow, some are fast, I don't give a ****. The real difference between gasoline or diesel cars and EVs is that the gasoline and diesel fueling infrastructure, both inside and outside the car, is standardized. You go to a gas station in a 2022 Toyota hybrid and you put gas in. You go in a 1960s MG roadster and you put gas in.

But that's now how it works with EVs apparently, unless you drive a Tesla of course. All these other companies are vying for supremacy and frankly I don't understand why because they're all garbage. Tesla absolutely dominates, I mean Hiroshima-style nukes the competition when it comes to charging infrastructure, so much so that I can't figure out why anybody would buy anything else. Some paint dimples? Whatever, at least it works.

This does not work. This is trash. The fit and finish and driving experience simply does not matter if you can't drive it effectively.

Last edited:
I think the legacy OEMs need to pool resources, standardize charging infrastructure and invest in building out a more robust charging network. I'm not sure why that hasn't happened yet, because it would seemingly benefit all of them.

I really appreciate that guy's attitude

"The Tesla experience is just so much better than this...But honestly it's not going to get better unless we highlight the problems and push the technology"

It's pretty clear that if you want to road trip in your electric car, Tesla is still really the only viable choice.

Last edited:
Tesla absolutely dominates, I mean Hiroshima-style nukes the competition when it comes to charging infrastructure, so much so that I can't figure out why anybody would buy anything else.
Over here it really doesn't matter which EV you buy. Belgium is so small that you can always charge at home without getting range anxiety. :lol:

The charging station a couple blocks away from me, charge Leafs and Teslas. Probably other cars as well.
I'll have a wander over there and snap a pic of the set up.

I assume it's universal but you need to use your own cable. And I imagine they're not very fast.

Back