Ford Mustang Mach-E

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 286 comments
VXR
Considering it's quicker than a 2.3 and a GT, why shouldn't it have the Mustang name?
Judging a car’s performance credentials strictly on 0-60 time (*especially* when it’s an AWD EV) is very shortsighted.

When/if it can do a lap of Laguna Seca or Road Atlanta or any legit racetrack in the same time as at LEAST the 2.3 convertible then I will agree with you.

The whole presentation was emphasizing how it “drives” and “feels” like a Mustang and honestly that just discredits how truly amazing cars like the GT350, Boss, etc are to drive. A 6,000 lb SUV boat is not going to match that driving experience, regardless of it being EV. I am sorry.

Considering the Model S can be tuned to do low 7s at the Nurb, I don't imagine the Mach E in GT trim will be far off the pace of a 2.3 convertible, when you factor in the instant torque of the electric one and Seca only having medium straights.

It really depends on what you perceive as fun. A GT-350 with all the underhood mayhem going on may be downright grating to some, total elation for others. Nothin wrong with either take, it's all subjectivity in the end.

VXR
Considering the Model S can be tuned to do low 7s at the Nurb, I don't imagine the Mach E in GT trim will be far off the pace of a 2.3 convertible, when you factor in the instant torque of the electric one and Seca only having medium straights.

If by "tuned" you mean completely redesigned cooling, stripped of any luxuries, with massive aero and suspension mods and a couple hundred more HP then yeah, sure.

Not a fan of this Mustang abomination, or crossovers in general tbf. But this one in particular is a joke, don’t care if it’s an ev or not.

Last edited:
3h02np.jpg

If by "tuned" you mean completely redesigned cooling, stripped of any luxuries, with massive aero and suspension mods and a couple hundred more HP then yeah, sure.

The likelihood is, the GT version of this has a few of the suspension and cooling mods, being a giant like Ford and all.

VXR
The likelihood is, the GT version of this has a few of the suspension and cooling mods, being a giant like Ford and all.

I really don't think there's any track-focused hardware on it. It might have a nice launch control system, but that's about it.

I really don't think there's any track-focused hardware on it. It might have a nice launch control system, but that's about it.
It'd be interesting if it had a performance tyre option and suspension to keep up with SUVs like the Macan, BMW XMs, etc.

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/mustang/201971/ford-plans-a-hot-mustang-mach-e-shelby

There'll be a Mustang Mach-E Shelby

Speaking to evo, Ford Performance chief programme engineer Ed Krenz said: ‘I’m looking forward to the challenge of applying the Shelby characteristics to an electric car. The trick for us is the fun-to-drive part, and sustainability in terms of charging. It needs to be capable to go all day on a trackday – you can’t do 20 minutes and then have to charge it all night.’

I’m not sure what’s worse. The Mustang nameplate or the fact that it’s a crossover “coupe”. For me, they are the ugliest car design on the road today, a manufacturer would have to pay me to have one in my driveway.

Just... why?

Last edited:
"Hey, Camaro! How you like me now? I'm the baddest..." *record scratch* ...sport utility vehicle?

I haven't had too time to digest or respond to this any sooner. That said, it is VERY unusual seeing this machine. I knew I was watching commercials during either the 2019 World Series or some other sporting broadcast and saw a commercial for the Ford Mustang Mach E. Now that the Mach E has been unveiled, it is totally surreal seeing the Mustang take on the form of an SUV. The Ford Mustang- this super awesome muscle car (speaking as a Chevrolet Camaro fan who also likes Mustangs)- become an SUV. It is perfectly fine to respond to Ford saying, "what the hell were you thinking?" or, "why would you do this to the Mustang?" It would sound like an absolute injustice to take a car like the Mustang and make an SUV out of it. To be honest... I actually kind of dig it. It may look very strange, but it is almost like how you have Rally Raid versions of cars. It is a most unusual sort of deal here seeing this Mustang SUV. I'm sure the Mustang purists would hate on this as much as they hated the idea of a four-door Porsche or an Porsche SUV.

Another "theory" I have is that perhaps since the latest Chevrolet Blazer adopted Camaro-like styling, this is probably Ford's chance to make its own SUV style car. Does that mean Chevrolet may try to make their Camaro into an SUV or SUV-style machine to combat the Mustang? COULD happen. It's going to be very interesting to see one of these in person and compare it to the old car Mustang. But wow... the SUV has really come along the past few years and decades, eh?

Last edited:
I’m not sure what’s worse. The Mustang nameplate or the fact that it’s a crossover “coupe”. For me, they are the ugliest car design on the road today, a manufacturer would have to pay me to have one in my driveway.

Just... why?
It's better than GM coming out with a "Blazer" that can't go offroad. At least the Mustang Mach-E is fast like a Mustang, and it actually looks like a Mustang.

It's better than GM coming out with a "Blazer" that can't go offroad.
Explicitly cannot go offroad or simply wasn't designed to be particularly offroad capable? The former is a bold claim. And the latter? Well...

2001-Chevrolet-Blazer-SUV_Image-08.jpg

Explicitly cannot go offroad or simply wasn't designed to be particularly offroad capable? The former is a bold claim. And the latter? Well...

2001-Chevrolet-Blazer-SUV_Image-08.jpg
5b2c48b2663b0_chevrolet_blazer_152934097966e7dff9f98764da1972-Chevy-Blazer-1-940x601.jpg

EDIT: Or more appropriately...

chevrolet-blazer-zr2-1997-2005-youtube-with-blazer-zr2-lift-kit-and-maxresdefault-on-2048x1152px-blazer-zr2-lift-kit.jpg

It only makes sense considering the Blazer was the only Chevy truck known for being a hardcore off-roader. Like the Wrangler. Like the Bronco, which Ford correctly marketed. Even Land Rover sees the value in bringing back a retro truck. Off-roading sells in North America right now and GM is really missing the boat.

Last edited:
Wow. First I've heard of this (I'm way behind on my car news, but I'm getting there) and it looks like a Tesla. Someone needs to explain to me why designers have it in their minds that electric cars have to look so dreadfully boring. Just because there isn't a combustion engine doesn't mean radiator grilles have to go "kaput".

Also, calling this a Mustang? No. No.

No.

Wow. First I've heard of this (I'm way behind on my car news, but I'm getting there) and it looks like a Tesla. Someone needs to explain to me why designers have it in their minds that electric cars have to look so dreadfully boring. Just because there isn't a combustion engine doesn't mean radiator grilles have to go "kaput".

Also, calling this a Mustang? No. No.

No.
You gotta let it marinate. It's a good idea from both a design (it's pretty) and a performance (it's fast) standpoint.

I....I don't dislike it. It could sell me somewhat on it if it takes a page from Tesla and has a little toybox thingy for less SERIOUS car functions.

5b2c48b2663b0_chevrolet_blazer_152934097966e7dff9f98764da1972-Chevy-Blazer-1-940x601.jpg

EDIT: Or more appropriately...

chevrolet-blazer-zr2-1997-2005-youtube-with-blazer-zr2-lift-kit-and-maxresdefault-on-2048x1152px-blazer-zr2-lift-kit.jpg

It only makes sense considering the Blazer was the only Chevy truck known for being a hardcore off-roader. Like the Wrangler. Like the Bronco, which Ford correctly marketed. Even Land Rover sees the value in bringing back a retro truck. Off-roading sells in North America right now and GM is really missing the boat.
Okay, sure, it's probably not as capable as a straight axle K5, but then [barring perhaps the RPO ZR2 shown below it] neither was the GMT330. I'm given to understand the GMT360 TrailBlazer that followed represented yet another reduction in capability.

Somehow I doubt the average potential Blazer buyer gives two ***** about blasting through trails, but there's still room for a more robust package like that available for the current Colorado, though it'd obviously be limited by the FWD-based architecture.

This is not a Mustang, this is a Mach-E. I'm sorry but the Mustang is a two-door, front-engine sports car; not an electric, four-door SUV. It's such a stupid thing to do. I'm not even a Ford person but I think this car is sacrilege to the Mustang name.

It's better than GM coming out with a "Blazer" that can't go offroad.

Not to me, that's for sure. A better comparison would be Mitsubishi calling their latest crossover an Eclipse, this "Mustang" is still worse though.

Not to me, that's for sure. A better comparison would be Mitsubishi calling their latest crossover an Eclipse, this "Mustang" is still worse though.
Eh, at least this Mustang will be sorta sporty and has Mustang design elements.

The Eclipse Cross... Eh. It would be just meh if it wasn't for the name which makes its existence annoying.

Back