Ford planning LeMans Return + Ford GT revival

• Thread starter Slash
  • 824 comments
The irony in this considering the 2005 car looked closer to the original race car than this one does by miles.

Then again, you also just called it heavy & slow. :lol:

If you look at each individual shape perhaps. The overall impression and the proportions are way off. If you read my post you see that I said that it looks heavy and slow, not that it is heavy and slow. Important difference there.

2011103003-border.jpg

It's the same with the Mustang.

ccrp_0801_06_z+1966_ford_mustang_coupe+.jpg

He's saying the GT doesn't need a V8.
Maybe. Cars are getting smaller engines with a Turbo or two.

BMW M3 went from 4.2 V8 to V6 Turbo
Ferrari are going from V12's to Turbo V8's
Same with Mercedes and a lot of other makes.
Maybe Ford will to and maybe Chevy and Dodge/SRT will follow suit

If you look at each individual shape perhaps. The overall impression and the proportions are way off. If you read my post you see that I said that it looks heavy and slow, not that it is heavy and slow. Important difference there.

2011103003-border.jpg

I don't think you are being reasonable. Do you know how small the original car is? It was a 1960s prototype race car with zero safety concessions. To expect a purpose built road car from 2005 to be the same size is pretty ridiculous. Look how small the original is.

howlowisagt40.jpg

The Prius is not a large car.

I have a couple diecasts of the car that are true 1:64 scale, and compared to other true 1:64 scale cars around it, the GT40 looks tiny.

I don't think you are being reasonable. Do you know how small the original car is? It was a 1960s prototype race car with zero safety concessions. To expect a purpose built road car from 2005 to be the same size is pretty ridiculous. Look how small the original is.

howlowisagt40.jpg

The Prius is not a large car.

It's not a size issue, it's about the proportions and the impression it makes.

The GT40 looks like a race car (an old race car by modern standards, but a race car none the less). The 2005 GT doesn't. In part because the proportions are off and in part because what was cutting edge back in the 60's wasn't cutting edge anymore in 2005.

The new Ford GT is an improvement as it's not pretending that it is something it isn't, instead it's a contemporary sports car with design cues from the GT40. It's cutting edge, much like the GT40 was back in its days, and for that reason I think it's a better homage to the GT40 than the 2005 GT was.

Feel free to disagree, I'm just sharing my opinion.

Maybe. Cars are getting smaller engines with a Turbo or two.

BMW M3 went from 4.2 V8 to V6 Turbo
Ferrari are going from V12's to Turbo V8's
Same with Mercedes and a lot of other makes.
Maybe Ford will to and maybe Chevy and Dodge/SRT will follow suit

No that's is what I'm saying. There is nothing written or prescribed that an American Super car like this or any caliber should have to use a V8 engine. The notion that it should is silly and child like.

Also you're comparing European makes that never went from one thing to another. Rather had many variations they felt fit the car. You in your limited knowledge are using quite modern examples but here is reality...

BMW M3 went from a straight 4 to a 6 to another 6 then to the V8 and back to the 6. So this shows the V8 is actually the oddball in the group if anything.

Same with Merc what? They use V8s for quite some time now and only think they've done different is decrease size.

Ferrari...has had turbo V8s since the early 80s and V8s in general since the 60s. Even with the new one coming out how is that going from V12 to V8, none of the cars in the linage building up to the 458 were V12s. And V12s still very much exist at Ferrari so...

Last edited:
I'm all for a V6T in the new GT....but uh....let me put it in more worldly terms....would you be okay with Porsche putting a 4 banger in a 911? Would you be okay with the DB10 having a 6 cylinder turbo? There can be a case made why some people are upset with the GT having a V6T. Let us remember this is from the racing division and this engine could be in an LMP2 car soon....plus 600hp ain't bad. :P

would you be okay with Porsche putting a 4 banger in a 911?

They did it, it was called the 912.

Would you be okay with the DB10 having a 6 cylinder turbo?

The DB7 had a supercharged Inline-6 when it came out.

Neither sold very well because they were crap, not because they were different than what we'd been used to from those companies.

Crud I forgot about the DB7...course personally that was one of the not so good Aston's...except when the V12 was in it. :3

The 919 has a V4T tied into a monster hybrid system...not really the same. The Ford GT's V6T is pretty much the engine they use in Tudor at the moment in that Ganassi DP Riley.

So I finally got around to really looking at this car and here's my take:

Now I liked the Ford GT from 2005 because it was a modernized Ford GT. So what if it didn't exactly like it in every single way, its one of the few cars I feel managed to take a shape and made it to modern times without making it look like crap (the same however cannot be said about the Mustang from the same year).

Now how do I feel about this new GT? Well..I like it. For completely different reasons, I like it as much as I did the 2005 car. Whereas the 2005 car was a road going tribute to an iconic car, this is a new design that simply has the spirit of the GT40 yet manages to be its own at the same time. I'm not all that bothered by the fact that its using a V6 instead of the V8, surprised definitely (though its mostly due to assumption based on the previous car) but not at all mad. I see it as yet another feature that makes this car unique and in way, its Ford moving the car forward. As for its looks, its strikes me as very different yet familiar. Its rear is probably the most interesting way of channeling air I've seen on any supercar and again, lends a style exclusive only to this car. Its like its own stationary aerodynamic device and the fact that its down without active aero is even more impressive (which does leave me curious as to what its numbers in the wind tunnel are.

Overall, I think its a amazing car and I haven't even seen it do anything.

Your joking! Noooooo why do forza get it!!!!! This is the best looking ford ever and It goes to the only racing game I can't play.

Relax, its likely a timed exclusive just as the Viper was.

To be fair, Forza also got the SRT Viper and the Pagani Huayara first, and GT eventually got both of those cars. So I wouldn't call it a Forza-exclusive just yet...

Incorrect: EA got the Pagani Huayra first

Last edited:
So I finally got around to really looking at this car and here's my take:

Now I liked the Ford GT from 2005 because it was a modernized Ford GT. So what if it didn't exactly like it in every single way, its one of the few cars I feel managed to take a shape and made it to modern times with making it look like crap (the same however cannot be said about the Mustang from the same year).

Now how do I feel about this new GT? Well..I like it. For completely different reasons, I like it as much as I did the 2005 car. Whereas the Ford GT was a road going tribute to an iconic car, this is a new designed that simply has the spirit of the GT40 yet manages to be its own at the same time. I'm not all that bothered by the fact that its using a V6 instead of the V8, surprised definitely (though its mostly due to assumption based on the previous car) but not at all mad. I see it as yet another feature that makes this car unique and in way, its Ford moving the car forward. As for its looks, its strikes me as very different yet familiar. Its rear is probably the most interesting way of channeling air I've seen on any supercar and again, lends a style exclusive only to this car. Its like its own stationary aerodynamic device and the fact that its down without active aero is even more impressive (which does leave me curious as to what its numbers in the wind tunnel are.

Overall, I think its a amazing car and I haven't even seen it do anything.

Very interesting thoughts you gave, it seems that the new GT has its own style while evoking the style of old. The rear is indeed the most interesting part of the car, not just because of the engine that lurks inside, but also because of the aerodynamic shapes that it has. Obviously, we need to see how will these work when the car is in motion, but nevertheless it is an interesting blend of designs.

Incorrect: EA got the Pagani Huayra first

Fair enough, I stand corrected. 👍

Being that the Ford GT is my favorite car I do hope it comes to GT, I've often wondered if this car would be Ford's contribution to the Vision GT category.
GT7 should have the new Ford GT as the cover car and there should be an LM Edition of it in the opening movie, like with the 4th game's box art having a Ford GT and the LM Spec II being shown in the opening. Though the game also has one with a Gulf livery. They should just have both a Gulf race car and one closer to the Spec II. Both should have the number 7, like how the GT race cars in the 4th game have the number 4.

I know the car is a timed exclusive for Forza (As are the Raptor and GT350R, though I have my doubts about GT7 having the Raptor), but they should totally do that.

My problem with the 2005 Ford GT is that uses the same approach to retro design as the 2005 Mustang and the VW New Beetle, namely attempting to be retro by taking a design of an old icon and simplifying it without keeping the spirit of the old car.

The original GT40 and Mustang (and Beetles) are elegant cars. The 2005 GT and Mustang are too beefy, they look heavy and slow. They're like tanks compared to the original designs.

The new Ford GT design looks elegant, it looks agile. It looks like a race car again.
I literally have no idea what you're on about. The original GT40 and the 2005 GT look exactly the same. It's only slightly bigger but has the same proportions.

It's not a size issue, it's about the proportions and the impression it makes.
Ford almost literally took the design of the GT40 and simply made it 10% larger. The proportions are almost exactly the same.

ford-gt40-wallpaper-5124-hd-wallpapers.jpg

2005-Ford-GT-Photography-by-Webb-Bland-Ford-GT-1024x768.jpg

There are four differences. The 2005 car has a front splitter, a rear diffuser, rear bumper, and the side intake is slightly longer. That's it. Even the A-pillar is in the same position! How you don't see this I have no idea.

Last edited:
That new GT looks freaking amazing. Nuff said. If the likes of the Porsche 919 and the older 4 bangers like SR20's and 3S-GTE's can reach over 600 hp, this whole eco-boost thing should be just fine lol.

Man, Ford sure do love kicking the European thoroughbreds in the nuts, don't they? :)

You're wrong keef. Completely different. When you scale the original car to match the new(er) car's wheelbase, the front overhang is slightly totally different

overlay_zps1ad9868b.jpg

I literally have no idea what you're on about. The original GT40 and the 2005 GT look exactly the same. It's only slightly bigger but has the same proportions.

Ford almost literally took the design of the GT40 and simply made it 10% larger. The proportions are almost exactly the same.

ford-gt40-wallpaper-5124-hd-wallpapers.jpg

2005-Ford-GT-Photography-by-Webb-Bland-Ford-GT-1024x768.jpg

There are four differences. The 2005 car has a front splitter, a rear diffuser, rear bumper, and the side intake is slightly longer. That's it. Even the A-pillar is in the same position! How you don't see this I have no idea.

Side view, yes. Front view no.

gt40gt.jpg

Last edited:
Back