Formula 1 Großer Preis Santander Von Deutschland 2012

• Thread starter ghskilla
  • 620 comments
Haven't read the whole thread but the writing was on the wall in q2. Alonso was massively quick and let's not forget that on his fastest q2 lap he lost a lot of time behind massa who was rejoining the track. At least a one second, but probably more.

I thought it was a shame Raikkonen couldn't do better than 10th. His car surely has a great pace in the dry this weekend. Would have been cool to see him win this one, but now I'm not too sure if he will even be on the podium as he has to start behind Maldonado.

Go Schumacher! Starts up 3rd, hopefully he and Vettel (as much as I'd hate it) can please the crowd tomorrow. Alonso's my hopes for the title (either that or Webber, he really deserves one) and so I would want him to finish 3rd. Schumi 1st, Vettel 2nd, and Alonso 3rd, one can dream.

Blocking rules don't apply to race starts.

Regardless of the rule. In Vettels case the point is he says that everyone should leave proper racing room and that race others the way you want to be raced. Then you look at all his GP starts. I'm sure he would love being on the other side of some of those moves. Since he's a golden rule man after all ;)

Regardless of the rule. In Vettels case the point is he says that everyone should leave proper racing room and that race others the way you want to be raced. Then you look at all his GP starts. I'm sure he would love being on the other side of some of those moves. Since he's a golden rule man after all ;)

Now I don't want to be part of the argument but I will say this, he does leave "proper racing room." I mean, it's not like every driver he has done that to has hit the wall or been forced on the grass, no? It might be a bit extreme, but in the end the other driver is still on the track and they haven't made contact.

Just my thoughts of course, I might be wrong, though.

I don't understand how you can single Vettel out for this. If someone has a slow start at the front they do anything possible to keep the lead. Look at Alonso at the last race, he almost took Webber's front wing off. When making those comments it should be obvious that he is talking about during the actual race itself since that's the only time the rules apply, not during the chaos of the start where anything goes.

Tomorrow we shall see if Ferrari and Red Bull are running a Wet Weather set-up.

Otherwise, McLaren has been literally wasting their time.

I may get hate for this but I'm actually going to use Pastor here :scared: At Catalyuna he pushed Alonso to the very edge of the track. Granted it may not be "gentlemanly" but he did leave a ferrari width and he didn't touch or force him off the track. That in my opinion is fair. If someone is alongside and you force them to put wheels on the grass thats clearly not fair.

Once again Alonso gets lucky, the weather was perfect for his car in Q3 this time and it was the same at Silverstone. If qualifying had of taken place 30 minutes earlier on both weekends I bet he wouldn't have came close. :grumpy: I wouldn't be surprised if all of his title rivals break down tomorrow.

You must have been brainwashed by those chauvinistic BBC commentators...how the hell was that luck? Timing is essential in Qualifying and especially in changing conditions. There are other parts of the race weekends that require strategy besides the actual race.

Tomorrow we shall see if Ferrari and Red Bull are running a Wet Weather set-up.

Otherwise, McLaren has been literally wasting their time.

Why would they? You don't get points in qualifying and it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to be dry tomorrow.

EDIT: McLaren just can't get intermediate/wet tyre up to temperature. It's also widely known that McLaren have bad traction. That's why they were slow.

Last edited:
But he hasn't really complained whatsoever this year. Sure a few years back he was like that but this year and even most of last year he hasn't been negative.

I think you should learn Spanish before reading any international press stories say that Alonso doesn't complain :)

If you sit still in this game, you get left behind. The guy out in front has the most to lose, so he's just looking out for his own tail.

True, I agree with you 100% on the first part of your statement. But how is always criticizing the car or team going to help anyone win a championship ?
All I'm saying it that, yes Fernando brings results... But I don't think he is creating a good team ambiance in ferrari, that's all I'm saying.

:sly:
So what do you think that Vettel is saying to the Red Bull team - "The car is perfect guys. You dont need to do any upgrades. Go to the pub and have a beer instead." ?

LOL man, have you even looked at the quote in my signature??
Well look at it now... You understand it? Good.
So bottom line is : we live in an imperfect world
There for Vettel can't be 100% happy with the car/team.
After all I think it will be hard to find someone who is always happy :sly:

Once again Alonso gets lucky, the weather was perfect for his car in Q3 this time and it was the same at Silverstone. If qualifying had of taken place 30 minutes earlier on both weekends I bet he wouldn't have came close. :grumpy: I wouldn't be surprised if all of his title rivals break down tomorrow.

100% with you buddy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should learn Spanish before reading any international press stories say that Alonso doesn't complain :)

True, I agree with you 100% on the first part of your statement. But how is always criticizing the car or team going to help anyone win a championship ?
All I'm saying it that, yes Fernando brings results... But I don't think he is creating a good team ambiance in ferrari, that's all I'm saying.

:sly:

100% with you buddy :D

Really? Quadruple post?

Alonso complains to get the team to progress and improve. If he didn't complain, and tell the team they had a lot of work to do, the Ferrari wouldn't be such a fast car now, and he woudn't be leading the championship. Pointing out errors so they can be sorted out is what wins championships.

He also took that pole position fair and square. Just like someone has already stated, the race is not the only part of the weekend that requires strategy. Also, while Alonso did get the last lap of everyone, no one managed to beat his previous laptime, even though Vettel and Webber both set laptimes after Alonso's first lap. Alonso was just the fastest and the smartest driver out there today.

Ferrari hasn't had such a complete driver since Schumacher.

Last edited:
He avoids almost every apex...saw Schumacher do that too, if traction is a problem it is offcourse a good way to keep the speed up.

He avoids almost every apex...saw Schumacher do that too, if traction is a problem it is offcourse a good way to keep the speed up.

You will often try to avoid the racing line in the wet because there is rubber on the racing line and wet rubber is quite slippery. Some corners are also cambered, so there's risk for standing water at the apex.

Yep, especially the Stadium section is very cambered, hence the line he takes at the hairpin. I expected them to do it, but it was more extreme than I thought it would be. Even for the first fast right-hander he stays about 3-4 metres away from the apex.

Ra1kkoneN
I thought it was a shame Raikkonen couldn't do better than 10th. His car surely has a great pace in the dry this weekend. Would have been cool to see him win this one, but now I'm not too sure if he will even be on the podium as he has to start behind Maldonado.

This +1

Sadly the Lotus' crazy fast dry pace hasn't been translated well to the wet. (Apparently according to the official f1 site they couldn't extract any grip from the wets) Especially with Raikkonen's Q1 time on hards, insanely fast. Just how the hell did he do that? :embarrassed:

Anyways congrats to Alonso on his pole. Never fails to impress :D (never been a huge fan of Alonso, but he seriously has proper skills)

The wet racing line is veeeeery different from the dry. You avoid the rubbered up dry racing line, because rubber is slippery when wet. You avoid the painted curbs, because paint is slippery when wet. You avoid apexes, because the track is usually banked towards the apex, and water pools there.

Water is slippery when wet, too. :D

Wet races are nice, because you can see which drivers are adaptable. But of course, it also helps to have a stable car with lots of mechanical grip.

Here's a thought. It would be really interesting (though highly unlikely) if three Germans take the podium (Vettel, Schumacher and either Hulkenberg or Rosberg) at their own race. Has it ever happened that all three drivers on the podium represented the same nationality?

Lol, luck is like when the other 23 cars crashed and he's the only guy running and get pole.

But how is always criticizing the car or team going to help anyone win a championship ?

He's not criticizing, he's giving feedbacks. and you know feedback is gold.

Here's a thought. It would be really interesting (though highly unlikely) if three Germans take the podium (Vettel, Schumacher and either Hulkenberg or Rosberg) at their own race. Has it ever happened that all three drivers on the podium represented the same nationality?

I've said that at the 2nd page! It seems likely, if Alonso gets out (unlikely) and Schumi, Vettel, and either Nicos manage to make the podium. The crowd would be ecstatic.

What I cannot understand is why Grosjean did not go out at the very beginning of Q2. The teams knew it was raining and fgs if its raining it iwll only get wetter. So why would you not go out right at the beginnning!!!??

He probably had a reason for it. Maybe they wanted to give it a few minutes to wait and see whether the rain would back off or increase. Maybe they didn't want to rush out and get caught in traffic. Maybe they put one set of tyres on the car, and then changed their minds at the last minute.

V v G T v V

So when Vettel is not 100% happy with the car it just reflects his strive for perfection and is to be admired but when Alonso does the same he is a whining jerk. Is that what you are saying?

The man is double world champion and makes 30million a year. So no he does not care what we think and could probably afford to have us all whacked for causing trouble lol. So lets get back to the topic that is the German GP.

Why would they? You don't get points in qualifying and it's pretty much guaranteed that it's going to be dry tomorrow.

EDIT: McLaren just can't get intermediate/wet tyre up to temperature. It's also widely known that McLaren have bad traction. That's why they were slow.

I meant this season. Either they suck in the wet, or they've wasted all this time on a new package which sucks. They pissed away the time they were quickest with stupid pit stops.

I meant this season. Either they suck in the wet, or they've wasted all this time on a new package which sucks. They pissed away the time they were quickest with stupid pit stops.

The drivers only had a couple of laps at most with the new modifications, which they said they believed to be an improvement in dry conditions.

Latest Posts

Back