Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prêmio do Brasil 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 245 comments
75593729_2745212045537063_2081988042435854336_o.jpg

So on a straight Leclerc was going straight and the incident is his fault? Laughable.
I just said it's racing incident. However, he has more responsibility for this incident. He didn't leave enough space for Seb, and he wasn't in a place to keep it straight, the other car dictates where they going as long as there's enough space for Leclerc (which there was plenty for him) not the other way around.

*Clears throat*

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH

OPERATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

McLaren's last two podiums were given to them after the race - Button in Australia 2014 and now Sainz in Brazil 2019.

With that, Sainz comes off 5th in the "Most career starts without a podium" list and goes top of the "Most career starts before scoring a podium finish" list with 101 starts until his first top 3, 10 races clear of Martin Brundle.

That's the second time this season a top team driver has retired from the race and screwed their team mate out of a podium (although Lewis has to blame himself)

I just said it's racing incident. However, he has more responsibility for this incident. He didn't leave enough space for Seb, and he wasn't in a place to keep it straight, the other car dictates where they going as long as there's enough space for Leclerc (which there was plenty for him) not the other way around.
Mate, Vettel had more than enough room. He trailed back towards the center of the track, as you say, dictating where they were going.
Slide-1.jpg

Slide-2.jpg

Slide-3.jpg

Slide-4.jpg

This last image is right around the point they make contact, as both cars fail a split second later. The third image showcases Vettel still having another tire's width of room before the white line before they make contact.

I think his goal was to squeeze Charles left and force him off an opportunity to make an inside pass. I believe Hamilton had done something similar to Albon just a lap or so previously, although he was in the lead and actively blocking the attempt.

Mate, Vettel had more than enough room. He trailed back towards the center of the track, as you say, dictating where they were going.
Slide-1.jpg

Slide-2.jpg

Slide-3.jpg

Slide-4.jpg

This last image is right around the point they make contact, as both cars fail a split second later. The third image showcases Vettel still having another tire's width of room before the white line before they make contact.

I think his goal was to squeeze Charles left and force him off an opportunity to make an inside pass. I believe Hamilton had done something similar to Albon just a lap or so previously, although he was in the lead and actively blocking the attempt.

Sebastian had absolutely no reason to move over like that. He seems completely unaware of the consequences, and has therefore sabotaged the race for the team! If he can't be a team player he has to get out of that seat. Ferrari can no longer trust him IMO.

Safety cars ruin races :P

What a finish! Couldn’t be happier for Gasly and Sainz. Max was flawless.
I said jokingly that McLaren could get a podium this year. But I didn't think it would happen in such dramatic fashion... Also, Gasly. He fails to score a podium in a Red Bull yet finishes 2nd in a TORO ROSSO. The sister team! Utter madness. To think that Toro Rosso has scored 2 of it's 3 podiums in one season is just mind blowing. I love this motorsport sometimes.

The first sc was a joke, it felt like it was only deployed to spice up the show. A vsc would have been fine.

But hey, it worked. I enjoyed that last part although it was mostly boring up until then.

Slide-1.jpg

Slide-2.jpg

Slide-3.jpg

Slide-4.jpg

Yes you are right! Seb did had enough space, and he was driving the other car to the left forcefully. But he has the right to do so given the positions of both cars and Leclerc has to comply. It wasn't wrong, but it was unnecessary. That's why even the FIA ruled it out as racing incident.

Watched it 20 minutes ago and am still speechless at the Ferrari incident, after 9 years you would think he would have maybe not done the same thing he did with Webber in Turkey. He just had no reason to jeopardise both cars by pushing Leclerc more and more to the inside just because he got overtaken on newer tyres by Leclerc. I just hope Charles doesn't get in strife in the Ferrari camp for this since Vettel was 100% at fault.

Happy for Gasly, his reaction was just a whole year of frustration and doubt being let go to prove to himself he has still got it. Happy for Sainz as well, wish he got on the podium instead of post-race but with a incident like that and one lap to go it's completely understandable to leave it until after the race.

it's completely understandable to leave it until after the race.
Not really, when they've pulled Verstappen off for an incident 3 corners from the end before. This Hamilton penalty wasn't quite as clear-cut as Verstappen cutting corners, but it was still pretty obvious that a 5 second penalty was going to be appropriate.

I agree Vettel didn't make the best of judgement calls, but let's not discount Charles' role as when you look at it, he has a bad track record when going wheel to wheel this year, what with the max incident(s) and all the argey bargey around Monza.

They are a bad match as a pair of drivers. I've become much less sold on LeClerc as the year goes on, to be quite honest. He is a very quick driver but at the moment he's a hothead who's shown some questionable decision making. If I were Ferrari I'd be calling someone like Sainz every week.

I've only just realised that Vettel wasn't penalised for crashing into his team mate... which seems really very wrong. It shouldn't matter that both cars retired or that the team wouldn't want it investigated. Vettel drove into the side of another car causing it to retire... how does he avoid sanction?

The stewards this season have been, generally terrible this year and I'm not sure quite where they are coming from (why a 5 second penalty for Lewis and not a black/white flag? (because he admitted fault?) for example... and of course Max's Mexico pole).
I hope next year they are structured in a way that allows them to be more consistent and more even in their approach as I can understand some issues this year where due to a bit of a scramble due to the loss of Charlie Whiting.

I agree Vettel didn't make the best of judgement calls, but let's not discount Charles' role as when you look at it...

When you look at it, Leclerc drove in a straight line and Vettel turned into the side of him, on a straight bit of the track.

When you look at it, Leclerc drove in a straight line and Vettel turned into the side of him, on a straight bit of the track.
Ah yes, you're definitely right, I had identified the cars the wrong way around (didn't get the chance to watch live). Definitely this one lies in Vettel's lap, but I still back my points about Charles.

Comparing them to the other lineups they're competing with, I'd say they're easily the weakest pair of drivers. Mercedes have the better multiple world champion and a much more willing number 2. Red Bull is way younger with much more room to grow and I see Max as a much more well rounded driver than Charles and I feel he's faster on raw pace as well (pretty hard to measure that).

Can we count McLaren in this conversation too? They do have a podium now! If so I'd say Sainz and Norris > Vettel and LeClerc because

A) youth
B) they actually seem to like each other
C) seem to be able to avoid each others car

They are a bad match as a pair of drivers.
I would like to see Vettel paired with Norris. Chuck Norris.

I've only just realised that Vettel wasn't penalised for crashing into his team mate... which seems really very wrong. It shouldn't matter that both cars retired or that the team wouldn't want it investigated.
Agreed. Having to do the dishes at Maranello for the next few weeks isn't going to cut it.

Last edited:
I've only just realised that Vettel wasn't penalised for crashing into his team mate... which seems really very wrong. It shouldn't matter that both cars retired or that the team wouldn't want it investigated. Vettel drove into the side of another car causing it to retire... how does he avoid sanction?

The stewards this season have been, generally terrible this year and I'm not sure quite where they are coming from (why a 5 second penalty for Lewis and not a black/white flag? (because he admitted fault?) for example... and of course Max's Mexico pole).
I hope next year they are structured in a way that allows them to be more consistent and more even in their approach as I can understand some issues this year where due to a bit of a scramble due to the loss of Charlie Whiting.

You're 100% right. Would you (or anyone) go back, look at lap 1 of the broadcast, please? On the small straight before Juncao. It sounds like you'd give Vettel a penalty for reg 20.5 on the Ferrari collision. Why not LeClerc on lap one for the same infringement with Norris, or every aggressive straightaway move where someone is alongside? Every start of the race?

That's why I don't think a penalty is warranted here. <1% of these moves result in collisions because both drivers play the dance. LeClerc chose not to. That's his right. It is also his right to allow the collision because he could have moved over. The FIA and every driver have shown this is permissible through this move happening time and again without penalty.

Back