Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prêmio do Brasil 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 245 comments
That was a memorable result. Ferrari and Mercedes looked useless. The same for drivers over 30.

Hooray for Sainz and Gasley.

That was a memorable result. Ferrari and Mercedes looked useless. The same for drivers over 30.

Hooray for Sainz and Gasley.
First podium without Ferrari or Mercedes engines since Austin 2013

I see Max as a much more well rounded driver than Charles

Based on?
Max is fast but Max's only real team-mate competition was Danny Ric, who without reliability problems would have probably had the measure of him last year... and they both had a pretty big coming together last season... to me Max and Charles are very similar in their approach and it shows when they're on track fighting (post Austria).

But both are in vastly different positions;
  • Max is the clear number 1 with a team mate that is zero threat and he has 5 seasons under his belt.
  • Charles is in his second season, racing for the biggest team in the sports history and has been categorically and publicly told that he's a number 2 driver, despite out qualifying and racing his 4x WDC team mate.
I think if the tables where turned Max wouldn't be as composed both on or off the track.

Ultimately Ferrari should have stepped in and told them to hold position. But they didn’t have much to lose anyway since the their place in the wcc is secured.

I put the blame on Vettel for the contact but both drivers were both unnecessarily aggressive with each other. Charles pass into t1 was one of those “move or we crash” dives while Vettel’s move with drs was pretty clumsy.

Looking forward to this team mate battle if the car is actually good for the entire season next year.

Just saw this elsewhere, it shows that Vettel was moving across to monster Leclerc. I still don't see why Leclerc had to give way and I think Vettel might have learnt something here.

VettelLeclerc.jpg

Missed that RBR sharpened the record for fastest pitstop again yesterday with 1.82 seconds. Really impressive.
yep also just read it. Yesterday I thought a 'slow' 1.9 and now it seems a 1.82 (!!!) pitstop. Blinking with my eyes takes more time

Big thumbs up for the team around the driver. What's a racer without his/her mechanic?

Missed that RBR sharpened the record for fastest pitstop again yesterday with 1.82 seconds. Really impressive.

yep also just read it. Yesterday I thought a 'slow' 1.9 and now it seems a 1.82 (!!!) pitstop. Blinking with my eyes takes more time

Big thumbs up for the team around the driver. What's a racer without his/her mechanic?

His two sub-2 second stops helped him win the race. Lewis's undercut would have worked had his 2 stops not been plus-3 seconds... Merc's mechanics really need to get on the same level as RB if they want to compete when the cars are even.

His two sub-2 second stops helped him win the race. Lewis's undercut would have worked had his 2 stops not been plus-3 seconds... Merc's mechanics really need to get on the same level as RB if they want to compete when the cars are even.
Also don't forget that at pit exit Max lost about 4 (?) seconds because of that risky release of Kubica. That's makes the overtake on Lewis even better

Some great overtakes by Stroll that didn’t make the TV director’s cut.

You know, F1 is throwing all kinds of money and resources at “improving the product” with this regulation and that regulation....maybe they should put some effort into figuring out how to actually broadcast the show. Yes, motorsport is difficult to cover in general, but for example, when I watch a V8 Supercars Race, they seem to fit in replays and coverage of everything that happened from the front of the field to the back. I don’t want “more viewer controls” so that I have to be my own director to watch the race, but it would sure be nice if the TV directors lost this obsession with “full coverage of the headline grabbing narrative” and instead just focused on broadcasting close racing action. I won’t pretend I have all the answer, but something needs to be done.

Vettel almost nearly punterino’d Albon at T1 when Albon drove around the outside of him on the restart. Lots of overtakes happened in the first two corners, but only Vettel ran his competitor 2 wheels off the circuit.

Vettel has this thing where he tries to intimidate his rivals in close wheel to wheel combat, but he lacks the millimetre precision that someone like Hamilton has, so he just ends up colliding with people.

Edit: thinking about it more, didn’t Vettel also have a chance to go around the outside of someone a T1, maybe even Albon on the following lap? I just remember that he was given ample room, but backed out of the move and couldn’t pull it off for whatever reason.

Last edited:
4 seconds? Not sure on that
haha at least it felt like 4 seconds. I thought and probably also many others viewers that this was the end of race for both Max and Robert.
Benefit of the doubt 2,18 seconds then. Makes it 4 including pitstop :crazy::scared:

EDK
Yes, I thought the same thing. I was talking to a friend after the race and told him that "Vettel pulled a Turkey again". :lol:

EDIT: I now realize that in that incident Vettel was the one overtaking. But he basically expected Webber to hit the disappear button. So nature of the incident a bit different, while outcome was very similar. Of course, Webber was able to finish that race, albeit in 3rd since he had to pit for a new wing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Turkish_Grand_Prix

Nevermind, I am an idiot. It was almost exactly the same as Turkey, I was thinking that it was Leclerc overtaking here. But He had overtaken Vettel going into turn 1, and this was Vettel trying to get it back.

Fun race to watch. A rare engine blow-up for Mercedes. A terrible call by Mercedes to not pit with Hamilton (the old "do the opposite" doesn't make any ****ing sense with 11 laps to go under a safety car). I'd have much rather seen Hamilton pit and have a possible race with Verstappen for the win.

Vettel is 100% to blame for that hilarious collision with Leclerc. I did chuckle though at the posters who said "he was ahead so he had the right...". The right to randomly run into a car driving next to you? Yeah that's not how racing works. I suppose these are the same posters who thought Vettel did nothing wrong running into Hamilton in Baku a few years back, etc.

Hamilton and Albon; definitely didn't look like a penalty incident to me, so that's a weird call. Sad to see Albon lose the almost-guaranteed podium, but he did leave a huge gap and then swung the door closed when Hamilton was in the middle of the corner...I'm not sure what the solution there was. It wasn't a crazy dive bomb by Hamilton.

Overall entertaining, though I cannot get over the Mercedes idea that Hamilton would hold off Verstappen on older medium tires - did they not watch the race like the rest of us? The pole-sitting car which had already passed Hamilton in a previous run and would be starting a car length behind him? Really stupid decision and it robbed us of a possible battle for the win.

haha at least it felt like 4 seconds. I thought and probably also many others viewers that this was the end of race for both Max and Robert.
Benefit of the doubt 2,18 seconds then. Makes it 4 including pitstop :crazy::scared:
I mean, if you include the pitstop he only lost half a second to Lewis over all haha

It's only from Albon's point of view that you can see Max leaving that Mercedes in the dust. He's just gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only from Albon's point of view that you can see Max leaving that Mercedes in the dust. He's just gone.

I cannot stress ENOUGH how good the RB15 sounds :drool:

Makes sense, the Mercedes is harvesting power on the straight(see the red light flashing)probably used up the ERS trying to pass the Ferrari before that.

Dat Perez overtake doe

Holy macaroni, was that shown on the broadcast?

edit: That drive looks Alonso-esque.
I believe yes, that was one of the only times Chili made it on TV during the race, so at least they didn’t miss that one. It was a great move for sure 👍

I pray to the racing gods that McLaren have a competitive car next year. The prospect of Sainz and Norris joining the scrap at the front is beyond tantalizing :D

Good, let's see this put to bed one way or the other. If Ferrari were using illegal systems* before the technical directive and used illegal systems** after the technical directive then it should be known. Otherwise it just seems like sour grapes to hear constant insinuations from the competition that they're cheating. That's bad for F1 in general.

* Maybe not illegal, maybe a clever interpretation of what's allowed in the letter of the rules
** Illegal once the TD has made it clear that such interpretations are not allowed

That's bad for F1 in general.

Is it? Just seems like part of the sport to me...
People still make reference to Benetton using banned traction-control to 'gift' Schumy his first title and the sport isn't exactly reeling from it...

All the teams 'cheat' its part of the game. One thing I remember Ross Braun mentioning after the Braun GP days was that while everyone kicked up a fuss about the double diffuser, no one was looking at the rest of the car. This could be the same with Ferrari, they've managed to package the engine in such a way as to get the maximum out of it. But because everyone's focused on this one possible thing, they're not looking at other aspects of the car..

People still make reference to Benetton using banned traction-control to 'gift' Schumy his first title and the sport isn't exactly reeling from it...

Would it be reeling after 25 years? The discovery of launch control software on the Benetton was a very big deal at the time.

All the teams 'cheat' its part of the game.

I take your point, at least what I infer from your use of quotes, all teams push the envelope to find new solutions that remain legal within the letter of the law. That's why McLaren's gearshift went unpunished in the same 1994 season that you just referred to.

One thing I remember Ross Braun mentioning after the Braun GP days was that while everyone kicked up a fuss about the double diffuser, no one was looking at the rest of the car.

Really they were, and they are. That 'cheat' was legal and as soon as it was judged to be so other teams implemented their own version. Red Bull had particular success with that particular design philosophy.

This could be the same with Ferrari, they've managed to package the engine in such a way as to get the maximum out of it. But because everyone's focused on this one possible thing, they're not looking at other aspects of the car..

Perhaps, we'll have to see. If they're found to have used solutions banned by the technical directive after that directive was issued then that's cheating with no quotes. As it is we've got unproven allegations of cheating being passed about by less successful front-runners and, in my opinion, it's bad for the sport when it's suggested that front running teams are gaining illegal advantages.

Back