Formula 1 Indefinite break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 152 comments
Special Guest Appearance: The exact moment Jordan reached their point of no return

:(

Context, for newer viewers:

Imagine a season where Sergio Perez has an outside shot at the title and has singlehandedly carried Racing Point to third in the constructor's championship. It's the first of the final 3 races of the season: Perez puts the car on pole, and at half distance leads the race, with title rivals Hamilton and Leclerc* both out of the points.

If it stays like that Perez becomes part of a 3 way tie at the top of the driver's championship with 2 races to go. Still a championship outsider, sure, but he's got a chance. Fans of an underdog rejoice.

Now go watch the race...

(*Yes, casting Leclerc as Irvine is a little unfair to the Monegasque...)

Had Frentzen won, he would have been joint-second on 60pts behind Häkkinen on 61pts. Or as near as makes no difference, not changing too many variables. With two races to go.

What a massive final push there could have been from Jordan and their sponsors.

The race was still great to watch. As exciting now as it was then. Three different drivers from three different teams retired from the lead as well as a fourth leader suffering a puncture which, with Monaco 1982, must surely be up there as a record?

Last edited:
Tomorrow's Classic Grand Prix is the first F1 race I ever went to - the 2008 British Grand Prix

Strap yourselves in, it's going to be epic!

Roo
:(

Context, for newer viewers:

Imagine a season where Sergio Perez has an outside shot at the title and has singlehandedly carried Racing Point to third in the constructor's championship. It's the first of the final 3 races of the season: Perez puts the car on pole, and at half distance leads the race, with title rivals Hamilton and Leclerc* both out of the points.

If it stays like that Perez becomes part of a 3 way tie at the top of the driver's championship with 2 races to go. Still a championship outsider, sure, but he's got a chance. Fans of an underdog rejoice.

Now go watch the race...

(*Yes, casting Leclerc as Irvine is a little unfair to the Monegasque...)

Had Frentzen won, he would have been joint-second on 60pts behind Häkkinen on 61pts. Or as near as makes no difference, not changing too many variables. With two races to go.

What a massive final push there could have been from Jordan and their sponsors.

The race was still great to watch. As exciting now as it was then. Three different drivers from three different teams retired from the lead as well as a fourth leader suffering a puncture which, with Monaco 1982, must surely be up there as a record?

This is even more heartbreaking when you learn the true reason HHF retired :(

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...f-the-99-european.2WiVYGxwB3tuas8yQHSoQy.html

I only started watching F1 regularly from 2002 onwards so in my mind Jordan is always the same level as Minardi. it's incredible to think just a few years before that they were a genuine front running team. But the same can be said about F1 fans who just joined the sport recently and how they perceive Williams :P

Also I wish they would show more classic races with these throwback streams. I always pick the 1980s race in the polls but they never seem to get picked :grumpy:

Oh, and to those craving more F1 content but can't stand esports, I recommend working through the back catalog of Beyond The Grid podcast. Some real amazing stories, inspirational, humorous and a few behind the scene bombshells along the way. Drivers, team principals, engineers, they're all there. Annoyingly there are ads interspersed in between but you can just fast forward those :lol: It also makes me sad that we'll never hear the likes of Fangio, Clark, Lauda or Schumi on the show :(

One thing that is good for us F1 YouTubers is that, with the masses starving for F1 content during quarantine, there's a higher chance of getting a few videos noticed... *evil laugh*

This video is incredible

To celebrate 70 years of F1 today, Formula 1 is showing a classic race from Silverstone - in which 2003 was selected. Perhaps Barrichello's finest moment in a Ferrari, Toyota looking good for once and an Irish Priest...

"Accents change every 25 miles"

Uh, in which country is that not true? It's a lot less than that anyway.

"Accents change every 25 miles"

Uh, in which country is that not true? It's a lot less than that anyway.

If you live on the island of Nauru then every 25 miles the accent changes from Nauruan to Chinese fisherman to pod of whales.

There's a missing "drastically" in there.

Put it this way, a Liverpudlian and Yorkshire accent is a helluva lot more different than a Californian and a Floridan accent.

An American would probably disagree with that. They think "we" all sound like Harry Potter. Ask anyone from their own country and they'll tell you the exact same thing about the accent changing every couple of towns. At the same time, people not from that country can't tell.

If a Slovak told you that someone from Bratislava sounds totally different to someone from Trnava (about 25 miles), a non-Slovak speaker wouldn't really recognise that. If a German told you that someone from Germany sounds totally different to someone from Austria, a non-German speaker wouldn't really recognise that. I've met plenty of people who think every single person in England sounds the same, even if to you it is so obvious.

It was just a really weird distinct 'fact' that is about as unique as "they breathe air".

Silverstone has reached a deal with FOM to host two races of F1 after the Red Bull Ring rounds. FOM are now trying to negotiate with the UK Government to find a way to give the F1 circus an exemption to the 14-day quarantine measures put in place for foreign arrivals.

This is something they should be able to do, as the Belgian Government have allowed F1 to race behind closed doors at Spa on its original August 30th date, despite a ban on events until August 31.

The F1 circus will be testing all personnel every 2 days apparently, which would completely negate the need for a 14 day quarantine. There will be a lot of deals done with governments, sounds messy... Not a job I would want to do personally.

Random Discussion

Irrespective of why he ended up in subpar machinery, is Jean Alesi the most talented 'nearly man' in Formula One history? I'd accept discussion and comparisons of the other usual names such as Stirling Moss and Chris Amon but for those two drivers specifically they did end up in top machinery of their respective times and it was for other reasons that they did not ultimately succeed.

Moss drove for peak Mercedes-Benz and Vanwall. Clearly a front-runner in a front-running car at least twice in his career. He finished 2nd in the 1958 championship by 1 point and would have won it had Moss not personally defended and vouched for Hawthorn when Hawthorn was faced with a disqualification from the Grand Prix in Portugal, in which Hawthorn won 7 points.

Amon certainly had the same bad luck that is often attributed to Jean Alesi but unlike Alesi he was most certainly in a competitive car when he spent three years at Ferrari driving the renowned 312 and still scored 6 podiums from 27 races, which isn't actually dreadful in a statistical sense despite the qualitative, subjective sense of him failing to win a race and retiring from the lead due to mechanical failures on several occasions.

The closest Alesi came to having a top drive at the front was with Ferrari but we all know what a dog Ferrari was until Alesi left and Schumacher arrived. It's well known that he was already contracted to Williams before he moved to Ferrari and with an Italian family, it was just too good to turn down. Ferrari might have been prestigious but they certainly weren't great between 1991 and 1995. It's a blessing that McLaren became just as bad in 1994 onwards and spared their blushes even more.

It's an almost universal truth that Alesi should have won more races apart from the one that he did; Italy 1994, Italy 1995 and Monaco 1996 were lost by circumstances completely beyond his control. He still scored 8 podiums alone with Benetton in 1996 but the B196 was a major step down and Alesi thereafter faded away with Sauber and Prost. I have no doubts that if Alesi had been in, say, the 1997 Williams or the 1999 McLaren, he would have easily been a championship contender, at the very least a multiple race winner.

Some other drivers such as Gilles Villeneuve, Didier Pironi or Ronnie Peterson don't quite count as nearly men in my opinion. They clearly were talented and successful, it's just unfortunate that they died prematurely and never had the chance to show their full potential or waste it, whatever the case may have been.

I think Moss' success pushes him slightly above the status of nearly man in a broad sense of the term, although specifically on titles he's definitely one of the best who nearly won one that never did, as opposed to Alesi who never really had a great car or a top drive. Amon's bad luck might be about equal though.

Article indicates the way towards restarting F1 racing with a tighter schedule, maybe running 2 GPs per week.

Isn't that pretty much in line with what F1's senior figures have been saying for a couple of months now?

Talking is one thing. Doing is another.

Okay, I'll be clearer... aren't circuits like Spielberg and Silverstone already actively planning double-weekend races to do when they can do them?

I guess I was just making the point that you seemed to be suggesting the article might give a way ahead for F1 this "season" when in fact that way ahead already seems to be being prepared for.

Maybe dispensing with the practice day forever is the right way forward for F1 challenged by economic woes for teams and circuits? Maybe we now can see that is doable, and should not be delayed nor resisted.

Maybe dispensing with the practice day forever is the right way forward for F1 challenged by economic woes for teams and circuits? Maybe we now can see that is doable, and should not be delayed nor resisted.
Practice day is pretty good for adding a whole extra day of ticket sales to an extremely costly event to run. I really don't think it will go anywhere. Plus it helps the racing if the drivers can, you know... Practice.

I don't see how reducing the number of fan-paying events helps economic woes?
The promoter runs a DTM (or other tintop) and/or WEC (or other sports car) race on Saturday, hopefully packing the stands. On Sunday he runs an F2 and F1 race. The F1 cars do no practice, no qualifying, and bring no mechanics to the event, only a pit crew. Any rookies in the other series get some practice. Costs are minimized and racing events are maximized.

Last edited:
Or, he has a three day WEC event and a three day F1 event on different weekends and gets 6 days of ticket sales, not 3.

Practice days in countries that sell out Fridays will not go away

If there are no crowds and hence no sellout, but only TV, racing will go on - on the most viable economic basis.

I know it's just for fun and half the people taking part are random celebrities, but here's how the standings would look if the Virtual GP series was an official championship:

Attachments

• Virtual GP Results.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 19
Back