Formula 1 Indefinite break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 152 comments
McLaren in serious trouble it looks like, after failing to get a Loan to help pay for staff they are forced to drop 1200 employees: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-f1-team-mass-redundancies/4796788/amp/

Not all them are from the F1 team, but it's said that it's a sizable number.
The good news is we're bringing in Daniel Ricciardo to drive for us!

The bad news is... we'll, uh, need to fire everyone in the company to pay for his contract.

(Yes I know Danny Ric had nothing to do with this, shush you)

There's a rumor that Toto Wolff will be stepping down from his role as team principal at Mercedes. It doesn't seem credible.

There's a rumor that Toto Wolff will be stepping down from his role as team principal at Mercedes. It doesn't seem credible.
The article I read said he would take on a Niki Lauda-type role, and be on the advisory board. But, Niki was frequently at the races iirc, so if Toto followed the same attendance, would anything really stop Toto from just giving his usual input?

There's a missing "drastically" in there.

Put it this way, a Liverpudlian and Yorkshire accent is a helluva lot more different than a Californian and a Floridan accent.

Poor choices, honestly...typical South Florida/Orlando and Sunny California (LA, Bay Area) would be mostly indistinguishable; though culturally different because of different word choices.

Accent depends on where in Florida.

NW Florida: Highland southern (basically, Alabama)
NE Florida: effectively Georgia
Central: whatever part of the Great Lakes they came from, unless you bump into a British/Brazilian tourist
Heartland: stereotypical coastal southern
South: accent salad; Hispanglish with New York/Jersey accents, some Lawnguyland in mix
Keys: drunken talk

Hotlap of the Vietnam circuit in F1 2020.

This looks like it'll be Valencia but worse. None of the straights are particularly straight and that final sector is just a long section of single-file. The already awkward looking first two complexes look even less like they'd help promote overtaking out of them than I thought fromt he overhead pictures...

The lack of any notable scenery does make it feel a lot more generic and forgettable. The only really interesting thing is the stadium and that's mostly obscured by track infrastructure.

I mean, say what you will about Valencia, but at least situating it right near the harbor gave it some visual character. Hanoi just looks... unfinished somehow.

After a bunch of F1 replays I described as "meh", we've got a corker tomorrow - Azerbaijan 2017!

After a bunch of F1 replays I described as "meh", we've got a corker tomorrow - Azerbaijan 2017!

I could not fathom why Australia 1999 was chosen. There have been quite a few from the 2010s as well as the late 1990s recently.

Any chance of the 70s or 80s a bit more? :indiff:

They've stopped putting up fan polls recently. Australia 1999 kept losing in the polls, but they eventually put it up anyway. If they're doing that again, Silverstone 1987 should be on its way soon.

This was quite good fun for 15 minutes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52462003

I got 23/25, and one that I didn't get was obvious - the other one not so much.

That said, there is at least two errors in it. One correct answer isn't accepted for no apparent reason, and one anagram is incorrect (though I got it anyway), so the quiz is really only out of 23.

That said, there is at least two errors in it. One correct answer isn't accepted for no apparent reason, and one anagram is incorrect (though I got it anyway), so the quiz is really only out of 23.

25/25

Got to 22 very quickly and had to think about a few of the one-offers. Didn't notice an incorrect anagram but yeah, I noticed the one where the obviously correct answer simply wasn't accepted.

expert van maps sounds like perfect Dutch anyway.

"What's your occupation, cartography?"
"Ja ik ben expert van maps"

I'm rubbish at anagrams, but got 24/25 on knowledge alone, hammering them into the answer bar by half time. The last one took a little longer, but got it with 3:50 left on the clock. Anagrams are hard.

For the correct answer it doesn't accept - replace the 'f' with a 'ph'.

It also appears a surname alone is enough to give you a correct answer.

Perez and Gasly make their debut in the Virtual GP series tomorrow, there will only be a couple more races before the actual races start, but they've now managed to get 12 of the 20 drivers involved, as well as a bunch of the reserve drivers and Formula 2 drivers.

The Virtual GP series has ended with George Russell as the unofficial champion. As well as just being faster than everyone else he also kept himself out of trouble. Not having damage on seemed to give everyone permission to be incredibly reckless (especially at Monaco) and today he was the only driver not to get penalised.
a
Unsurprisingly none of the non-racing drivers to compete across the series were any good, though Thibaut Cortois improved with each race and narrowly missed out on the points in Baku.

Jimmy Broadbent was by far the the best of the content creators, the others were either very slow, or in the case of Tiametmarduk, cutting corners wherever possible.

This hasn't put the professional drivers in a particularly good light. Russell, Leclerc and Albon were fast and reasonably clean in the races, Lando was fast but reckless and also disconnected a lot, most of the others were either very slow or crashed constantly, and Gasly got himself disqualified today (though he has just done the Virtual Le Mans race. It's surprising how evidently different driving in the game is from real life when you consider how slow Perez was in Baku.

It was fun while it lasted but I think when this was originally planned it was hoped there would be more current F1 drivers and for people to take it a bit more seriously.

The game is an Arcade game and barely any F1 drivers took it seriously, it also didn't help when multiple drivers ditched it for the virtual Lemans which was on a proper sim(although it did have its problems).

Hope this wakes up F1 to having their cars on Sims not just an arcade game as it wasn't possible for it to host a proper professional series like Indycar or Supercars.

F1 needs the Codies style arcade game with mass market appeal because it's supposed to be a "dreamers" game where anyone can jump in an F1 car and pretend to be able to control the fastest vehicles in the world, and allow a large amount of the game's audience to be F1 World Champion.

What F1 needs to do is accept that it isn't as serious as it should be, and license the F1 cars out to another simulator to be an official DLC. rFactor 2, AMS 2, Assetto Corsa or RRRE. Give one of them licenses to make the F1 cars, even if it can't get all the tracks.

F1 needs the Codies style arcade game with mass market appeal because it's supposed to be a "dreamers" game where anyone can jump in an F1 car and pretend to be able to control the fastest vehicles in the world, and allow a large amount of the game's audience to be F1 World Champion.

What F1 needs to do is accept that it isn't as serious as it should be, and license the F1 cars out to another simulator to be an official DLC. rFactor 2, AMS 2, Assetto Corsa or RRRE. Give one of them licenses to make the F1 cars, even if it can't get all the tracks.
I agree, even if it's a generic "F1202X" to avoid navigating the licensing for individual teams...

...or perhaps the teams themselves could pool their collectively most crazy advanced simulations into a consumer product... Now there's a happy pipe dream.

EDIT: I don't see, from a business perspective, any real risk to having two different licensed F1 "game" products. Keep the Codies game, and exist in the hardcore simulation market too. They are essentially separate markets at this point, and anyone in the crossover is likely to buy both, Codies for the kids, perhaps.

Back