Formula 1 Off Season, Launches and Testing thread 2019-20Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 286 comments
So they aren't running a special testing livery in all black? What was the point of them showing those renders off then?

Supposedly to make a "launch" event worthwhile... It was truly abysmal, and especially since the tone of the interviews seemed to steer towards lowering expectations for the car itself and reassuring fams (or Ricciardo?) that they had recruited staff based on staying in F1 for the long term...

On the BWT Racing Stroll, am I the only that likes what they have done with the livery? We know it is going to be pink, and yes it misses the blue highlights from last year. But the logo across the engine cover looks great to me. I can't put my finger on why though!

If these are the actual designs for both Perez and Stroll, this really bothers me....
ERDb8W8WkAAl5Qy

It bugs me how the helmets are pretty much always painted in the team colors. That’s the one thing that should be up to the driver imo.

Testing has begun. It's live on Sky Sports and F1 TV if you want to watch. It's testing so it'll be the opposite of riveting to watch, but it's the new cars so that won't matter.

Testing has begun. It's live on Sky Sports and F1 TV if you want to watch. It's testing so it'll be the opposite of riveting to watch, but it's the new cars so that won't matter.
Coming back into a new season I always forget how fast F1 cars are compared to anything else!

Williams aren't off the pace finally. Russell's best time is a 1:18.5 which us half a second quicker than they did in Q1 last year.

I guess no driver is really pushing the car during the first stints.
BTW funny to see the double line of Ferrari mechanics in front of the pit box to prevent the cameras to pick up anything happening with LeClerc's car.
Screens not allowed :)

Man, that all black Renault testing livery combined with the new front end design is the coolest looking modern F1 I've ever seen maybe in the entire 21st century, no joke. Reminds me of the F1 cars of the early 90s. Just gorgeous :drool::drool::drool:
racefansdotnet-20200219-080416-1.jpg

Up close and slow, it's very nice indeed... I just feel it might look a little anonymous on track.

It looks like the same scenario of Haas and Ferrari. The way I see it is that if RP and Haas reverse engineered the 2019 cars, I have no issues, if anything that hurts them more as they’re now operating on year old technology. If they were handed the blueprints by Merc and Ferrari, now there’s a problem

It's the exact same car. It's like Mercedes just gave them the cars from last year. And yet somehow they still won't fighting for podiums.

Same thing we see with Ferrari and Haas or Red Bull and Toro Rosso for years now. And yest Haas and Toro Rosso aren't running away with anything. It seems that there's more to it than just having a great car.

Looks like Mercedes are flirting with the rules with this use of the steering wheel.

Just saw it too. Looks like also something happens to the tires when pulling the steering wheel. Interesting and innovative but only for testing purposes and/or the upcoming new season? First questions about being it legal or not already going around.

Just saw it too. Looks like also something happens to the tires when pulling the steering wheel. Interesting and innovative but only for testing purposes and/or the upcoming new season? First questions about being it legal or not already going around.

Most people who have seen it seem to think that it makes the tyres toe in helping to reduce drag down the straights and has the added effect of cooling the brakes. I can’t see it being used for just testing. I think they were hoping to use it during the season but may have to remove it as I think other teams will cry foul.

Most people who have seen it seem to think that it makes the tyres toe in helping to reduce drag down the straights and has the added effect of cooling the brakes. I can’t see it being used for just testing. I think they were hoping to use it during the season but may have to remove it as I think other teams will cry foul.
They aren’t allowed to move or alter the suspension when the car is moving, so if they intend on using it during an actual race it’ll have to be doing something pretty magical to be legal.

Seems bold if this is a device to be used during a race, to show it off on the second day of testing...

Edit: according to Ted’s inside man at Merc, the device isn’t just a testing one!

Very interesting from Merc there. But please just give us at least one good championship battle before these regs end.

This is just ridiculous, the level of "copying"... If Mercedes were not aware of parts / data being sold to Racing Point this season, they need to be seeking legal advice. The level of detail is now starting to suggest there has been an actual leak of drawings / data...

It does make you wonder about all those meetings between Laurence Stroll and Toto Wolff that started the "Stroll to buy Mercedes" rumours. Were they discussing the sale of data or legality of this concept instead?...

It makes sense for them to copy Mercedes. I would rather this than them being stubborn like Williams and constantly finishing at the back.

Back