Formula 1 Off Season, Launches and Testing thread 2019-20Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 286 comments
DAS system that was unveiled yesterday won't be allowed in 2021 season

I wonder if this is a good thing or not... if the teams cant use it next year then chances are they're not going to invest in it now, for this season... so if it does offer a good amount of performance, Merc almost have it exclusively for the season

I wonder if this is a good thing or not... if the teams cant use it next year then chances are they're not going to invest in it now, for this season...

I don't know... if there's an advantage to be had they'd be daft not to, I think at least Red Bull will look at it, maybe Forced Point BWT India Martin too.

I don't know... if there's an advantage to be had they'd be daft not to, I think at least Red Bull will look at it, maybe Forced Point BWT India Martin too.
I guess it depends how long it takes to develop and then install into the car and have it work... it seems and sounds like a lot of work and may not work with the design concepts the teams are running anyway... would be a lot of work to simply throw away at the end of the year

This is going to be an interesting season, especially in the mid-field.

I'm debating on going to the Vietnamese GP or not. I know there were fears of the corona virus affecting it, but they green-lit it anyways.

Since the DAS straightens out the wheels into the airflow, presumably lowers aero drag and affects the outwash to the trailing car. Therefore it is a movable aerodynamic device and is against the rules.

I don't want Lewis to win his next championship by pumping his trombone.

Last edited:
DAS system that was unveiled yesterday won't be allowed in 2021 season

According to whom? Is that official, or are you just saying?

Edit 2: ugh, still hadn’t had my coffee yet, I missed that you said 2021, I read 2020 :dunce:

Edit:
Since the DAS straightens out the wheels into the airflow, presumably lowers aero drag and affects the outwash to the trailing car. Therefore it is a movable aerodynamic device and is against the rules.

I don't want Lewis to win his next championship by pumping his trombone.
DAS uses the physical movements of the driver to change the angle of the front wheels, not any different than steering.

Turning the wheels left or right changes ride hight, rake, and aerodynamic flow over the car, hence making steering illegal? I don’t think so.

There’s nothing in the rules that says when you turn the steering wheel left, both wheels must turn left. That’s the loophole that Merc have found. They’re using the driver’s physical inputs to change the angle of the front wheels. It’s just that in this case, the wheels steer opposite to each other, as opposed to in sync with one another.

If a team wanted to, they could make a car where turning the wheel left caused toe-in, turning the wheel right caused toe-out, pushing the wheel in turns both wheels left, pulling the wheel out turns both wheels right, and it would be within the rules (as counter initiative as it would be).

Last edited:
Insist on repeating yourself. Where did I ignore you? Are you actually salty because I quoted Jim and not you?

Salty? No, what I said again was it's weird to answer someones question, them ignore it or even better yet argue it as almost to dismiss it, then accept it because it came from another user. That's what I said. Stating a reality doesn't mean a person is salty by the way I took you for more mature then that. Since you've been given answers to your question prior and you want to somewhat denigrate, I think we should move on.

I wonder if this is a good thing or not... if the teams cant use it next year then chances are they're not going to invest in it now, for this season... so if it does offer a good amount of performance, Merc almost have it exclusively for the season

Yeah even if they didn't ban it, the other big teams were claiming they wouldn't be able to have a similar system until the summer anyways. Which means half a season of dominance if it does work as intended.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/21...rrari-to-copy-mercedes-das-before-mid-season/

I think also the FIA wanted to squash this faster than previous novel concepts (EBD, DDD, and F Duct) because of the other more massive technical issue at hand. Several teams are pointing the finger at one another claiming that they're buying help or partial designs from Factory teams. Point Racing claiming Haas has been doing it, McLaren claiming several are doing it and it's the only one that operates on level with the factory teams. And then others pointing fingers at the RP20. So I think if this DAS matter is taken care of earlier focus for the FIA can shift to that issue.

Last edited:

Altering the angle of the wheels lowers aero optimisation by changing the airflow around the front wheels... by your logic they are also therefore a movable aerodynamic device. in fact they aren't.

Another benefit of straightening the wheels is a reduction friction in the front tyres. I'm sure the total amount is vanishingly negligible but any performance margin is being keenly hunted down by everybody right now.

With all the testing in Barcelona we almost forgot the new Arie Luyendyk curve. That angle is steep

ERNAowUXsAAY2_L

I wonder how this will affect other racing series on the track. With GT3 cars the last corner was juuust flat out on new tyres and low fuel. I imagine with the banking it's a lot less of a challenge now.

I wonder how this will affect other racing series on the track. With GT3 cars the last corner was juuust flat out on new tyres and low fuel. I imagine with the banking it's a lot less of a challenge now.
In the coming days we can expect the first test runs with Bleekemolens sportscars --> 'standard' Porsches, Ferraris etc.
The directors op Circuit Zandvoort said it is not only (re)built for Formule 1. We'll see. At least it is something new to all of the racers and they have to relearn the track.

I think it could be less of a challenge as far as speed goes but I think there'll be some interesting lines during battles.
I think it’ll also effectively increase the length of the front straight, making Tarzan a heavier breaking zone, which could potentially aid with overtaking.

It's so impressive how quick the cars are now (All cars seem to handle great), Mercedes just looks so effortless to generate low lap times especially compared to the midfield.

Will be interesting to see if either Red Bull or Ferrari will have the pace to take it to Mercedes this year. Quite incredible that Mercedes literally have reinvented the wheel at the end of the current regulations.

Going to try and see a GP this year hopefully. Always wanted to see how a F1 car looks at full tilt and given regulation change next year making things slower, this might be last chance to see the incredible cornering speed.

Seen on Reddit that Renault is preparing to protest Racing Point’s car according to autobild.

On mobile so i’m having hard time posting the link. Doubt anything will happen anyway.

Seen on Reddit that Renault is preparing to protest Racing Point’s car according to autobild.

On mobile so i’m having hard time posting the link. Doubt anything will happen anyway.

Here's that article (in German), there's just one paragraph that refers to it and says "it's forbidden to buy aero parts from other teams but Renault believe that Racing Point have done just that".

Back