Forza 4 Demo Thread

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 1,080 comments
Sele1981
Ok, now played the demo.

I won´t and can´t judge the game by the demo it´s too short... so the waiting goes on :)

But after the race, the release screen says "october 11th". I ordered it on Amazon.de and there it says october 14th... What now?

Americans get it the 11th. You have to wait.

Ok, now played the demo.

I won´t and can´t judge the game by the demo it´s too short... so the waiting goes on :)

But after the race, the release screen says "october 11th". I ordered it on Amazon.de and there it says october 14th... What now?

I bet they changed the language, but not the dates or they really release the game that early. I heard that some shops in germany already got it delivered or get it next week.

First impressions of demo from driving for two minutes.

• Traction is still very high on Expert difficulty using a 458 like in Forza 3 with similar powered cars.

• I "assume" that in Forza 3, with the equivilent IRL cars, you can beat the IRL times on the IRL tracks? If so, any examples - cars, tracks, times, screen shots? Nordscliefe is the track I use for IRL to virtual comparisons. Too short a track may not be enough for a fairly accurate comparison.

I am curious not challenging. I am fairly new to the Forza series.

I "assume" that in Forza 3, with the equivilent IRL cars, you can beat the IRL times on the IRL tracks? If so, any examples - cars, tracks, times, screen shots? Nordscliefe is the track I use for IRL to virtual comparisons. Too short a track may not be enough for a fairly accurate comparison.

I am curious not challenging. I am fairly new to the Forza series.

Yes. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5909652#post5909652 I think it is about 2 seconds faster than real but driving very differently judging by the real life onboard. The track seems longer for some reason in Forza. I am planning to do a side by side video comparison between the two to see what the difference is.

Yes. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5909652#post5909652 I think it is about 2 seconds faster than real but driving very differently judging by the real life onboard. The track seems longer for some reason in Forza. I am planning to do a side by side video comparison between the two to see what the difference is.

That's kind of where I was going... My guess is your time is better than the average Forza racer but if the grip is that forgiving you would think it would be easy to best the IRL times.
I did the same comparison testing in GT5 and was able to beat some IRL times myself and I am no-where near the best GT5 racers.
The feel (traction,braking,trottle control) will be different between sims but the end result is similar based on the IRL time comparisons. It would would be hard to replicate a virtual experience exactly like IRL.

I really like the demo, the cockpit view in the Ferrari is really easy to use unlike most other games where you fell disadvantaged using cockpit. The rivals mode is cool too, it's nice to have some leaderbaords to compare yourself to after every race.
The new tracks are nice , i think, there are 3 different ones
From what I can tell the simulation steering does not do anything unless you hit something in which case it is absolutely unrecoverable with the controller, but it might be useful with the wheel

I've been playing it for a couple of hours today..

Overall - Mainly excellent, a nice step up from FM3 in every regard (well except the 30fps mirrors)...

The Zonda Rivals challenge is the one to really show the game at it's best, the Graphics are very tidy, the audio is sublime, and the physics are very challenging.

The AI on professional is very aware, very few 'scrapes and bangs', if I'm overlapping enough, they give me room, and I'm not the only one to notice, even watching them fight it out themselves is great.

Regarding the physics, it's impossible to say anything with 100% conviction, but there is definitely a lot of similarity to how cars understeer in iRacing. Notably the limit is a bit wider and their is a small amount of softness (less vicious then iRacing) which allows you to have a bit of fun. It is shaping up to be really really good..

One thing I will say, even if the physics turn out to be not great in any particular aspect, the feel of the cars, the way the weight/speed and everything contribute to it's behaviour, and how it progressively lets go feels the closest yet to my track time in normal cars (MX5's etc)..

It's not going to be until we have the whole game where we can try more familiar cars and track until we can scrutinise until we find a million little flaws, or ridicule it to death, but the demo is definitely really really enjoyable..

Top Tip - Use the Xbox Guide to select your own music, then pause it, this will get rid of the questionable music T10 have provided ;)

I wonder when they are going to start handing out codes again today? Not a peep. I want to at least try to get my hands on it. :mischievous:

Lucky ducks! :D

I got mine from Gamerdyne I believe.

They literally sent out a tweet saying "We have Forza codes who wants them?"

I sent one back saying "I do, please."

A few minutes later I had a code in my PM box.

Just search for #Forza4 on twitter and stay posted to it.

I bet they changed the language, but not the dates or they really release the game that early. I heard that some shops in germany already got it delivered or get it next week.

Yeah it seems so. If I remember correctly, the release screen was in german... whatever, 11th or 14th I can wait :)

Just playing Uncharted 2 and I´am totaly fascinated and focused on that game, so I think 14 th is ok for Forza ^^

LOVING the demo, a massive step up from F3 and will again take the console sim crown.

However one thing is annoying the hell out of me.....Why in cockpit view do any of the cars not have windows?

After playing the demo off and on for the past 24 hours here is my take on the FM4 demo.

The new physics engine is better but the cars seem like they have too much grip but then again it could just be the Alps track. I'm very interested to see what the cars will feel like on a proper real world track.

As for the graphics. WOW! The Alps is absolutely stunning. I caught myself getting distracted by the breath taking scenery a couple times. The cars look 100% better than FM3 especially in the garage. The paint on these cars really pop now. Screenshots that have been posted can't compare with it actually being on your TV.

Rivals mode is fun and frustrating at the same time. Allot has to do with the luck of how the traffic lays out. When they are 3 wide there is simply no place to go. It's either slow down and kill your time or hit something and invalidate the lap. They always seem to be a little more spread out when my lap is invalid to start which brings me to the spacing of the sectors. The last sector in the BMW rival event is way too long. If you just tap anything even 20-30 seconds before the finish the next lap is invalid.

FM3 had great car sounds but now they are even better. The Zonda sounds like a bowl of rice crispies (in a good way) snaps, crackles, and pops all the time with an occasional flame out of the exhaust.

IMO the overall game didn't change much between FM2 and FM3. If you had FM2 but never saw FM3 and all of a sudden someone put it on without you knowing what game it was you could instantly tell it's Forza. FM4 has finally broke the mold with it's appearance and feel. The game feels and looks completely overhauled.

I got mine from Gamerdyne I believe.

They literally sent out a tweet saying "We have Forza codes who wants them?"

I sent one back saying "I do, please."

A few minutes later I had a code in my PM box.

Just search for #Forza4 on twitter and stay posted to it.

I can't seem to find gamerdyne on twitter or any relation to Forza 4 and gamerdyne. Do you mean T10?

Thanks II-zOoLoGy-II

Edit, they run out of codes 2 hours ago

Sad thing is, the demo leaked anyway, so people who have it without the codes probably outnumber the ones who played fair and got codes the honest way. :ouch: Oh well, it'll be here soon enough for everyone else anyway.

Joke. All weekend to play wasted.
If the demo is complete just release it for everyone.
As a LCE pre order from day one I'm not impressed with this stunt.

Eh, dont worry about it man. Demo is what 2 days away? And NFL is tomorrow anyway!

Game release in 9 days anway.

Mhh I was pumped for this demo since last week... But after I get it, I played ~15 mins. Cant play the rivals mode because no xbox gold membership... And in the quick rece there is not much to do... And I dont like fantasy tracks (really, only some of GT´s fantasy tracks)...

Dont get too hyped :dopey:

But then, here are guys who played it 24hrs :drool:

For those who will be playing Forza 4 with a Fanatec wheel, the invasive, game-ruining steering assist from Forza 3 CANNOT be turned off, even with simulation steering. I've tested the demo thoroughly (got an early release code) and it's still non linear and constantly overcorrects and applies way more opposite lock than you're actually giving it. I don't know why they can't just give us DIRECT LINEAR STEERING. It also stops turning at 540 degrees even with the wheel set to 900. I feel kinda betrayed, and insulted. Do Turn 10 really think its customers are too stupid to drive a car without a big intrusive steering assist? I don't appreciate being lied to. They claimed simulation steering removed every assist but as you can see that's utterly false.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXVDzyaSlmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTfJVHhdBgw

For those who will be playing Forza 4 with a Fanatec wheel, the invasive, game-ruining steering assist from Forza 3 CANNOT be turned off, even with simulation steering. I've tested the demo thoroughly (got an early release code) and it's still non linear and constantly overcorrects and applies way more opposite lock than you're actually giving it. I don't know why they can't just give us DIRECT LINEAR STEERING. It also stops turning at 540 degrees even with the wheel set to 900. I feel kinda betrayed, and insulted. Do Turn 10 really think its customers are too stupid to drive a car without a big intrusive steering assist? I don't appreciate being lied to. They claimed simulation steering removed every assist but as you can see that's utterly false.

The thing is, whilst I also had a bit of a mess around with telemetry on, the cars themselves drive exceedingly well, the M5 was on a total knife edge on the limit, the snap oversteer and everything else is very challenging etc..

I don't understand why T10 don't hide any 'assists' like other games do in the lower levels of the physics engine, and just 'present' a 1:1 steering input in the telemetry, I can't help think they are either genuinely stupid about it as some like to say, or messing with us, or really don't care that some people are so hung up on such things and don't just drive and assess the cars by driving them..

When I analysed the FM3 wheel wobble, it seemed to be the doing very little to actually help, more artefact then overriding awfulness, then T10 said simulation steering would be everything removed and yet the wheel wobble is still there.. but the cars are a real handful at times.. So I'm starting to think that I may have been reasonably right, the wheel wobble wasn't actually the assist manifesting itself, it was actually buried deeper down.. they just seem to not have had the forethought to smooth up the telemetry to show what people 'expect'..

The speed sensitive steering was the most heinous issue with FM3 in actual terms of input correction IMO, but people alas could only see wobbles.. in FM4, I notice it has inverse non-linearity (well it is quicker around centre then at the ends, which is inverse to most conventional wisdom for non-linearity in steering input)..

I hope the linearity is an option, I'm not going to overly cry about it, the cars drive (so far from the demo) very well indeed, as I said, I've tried the M5 challenge this morning, and It's clear how much of a step forward FM3 is..

People should also be rational and realise that all physics engines have lots of tweaks and what should be construed as assists built in, well maybe iRacing and other PC sims tend to have the least 'saving' assistance in the lower level physics, but all current console games tend to allow you to be a driving god in comparison to real life, so even when you think it's all 1:1 direct mapping etc, the underlying physics can do what ever it wants with the input to make you a top level arm chair racing driver.

I'd love T10 to come along and say that they've been trolling us and that simulation steering wasn't properly switched on the demo and the final game would be so brutal in all assists off mode that it would scare most people.. But alas, I'm not expecting anything more then the demo..

Not perfect, shows it's physics tweaks on it's sleeve, but is providing a really challenging and immersive/nuanced physics engine you will either have to accept and enjoy, or reject and find a game that your brain can accept..

Last edited:
That's kind of where I was going... My guess is your time is better than the average Forza racer but if the grip is that forgiving you would think it would be easy to best the IRL times.
I did the same comparison testing in GT5 and was able to beat some IRL times myself and I am no-where near the best GT5 racers.
The feel (traction,braking,trottle control) will be different between sims but the end result is similar based on the IRL time comparisons. It would would be hard to replicate a virtual experience exactly like IRL.

I think it is the difference between the tracks. GT5 is much more accurate on the track. In Forza I'm going full throttle withh perfect traction out of corners which I know should not be possible. I think the lap times on Laguna Seca are probably faster than in real life but have not tried a comparison yet.

Here is what I wrote couple of pages back.
The steering description in assists didn't leave a good impression. I think it says more or less it steers slightly for you. It is not clear if it means that for simulation but I think it does as it is a generalised statement.

Looks like this is true and Turn 10 have not fixed the main issues I had with Forza 3. Too much traction, hard to lose control of the car and it steers for you. I'm sure though that people who did not notice this in Forza 3 will enjoy the driving physics but I never did as it feels there is not much skill required. It is all about positioning the car and going full throttle, feels too arcadey for me. I don't get why Turn 10 can't make it so that you progess slowly to full throttle or going on and off full throttle multiple times does not destabilise the car much at all for me. I wonder why they do not remove the permanent steering assist when driving on expert settings?

One thing I can say from messing around, and a quick test of how 'assisted' the underlying physics engine is, is to pendulate a car side to side with jabs of power oversteer and see how much attack angle I can get and maintain in each direction..

FM4 is much better, and won't (correctly) allow you to get too wayward before it swaps ends uncontrollably.. it's certainly not 'soft' at every level..

saidur_ali
I think it is the difference between the tracks. GT5 is much more accurate on the track. In Forza I'm going full throttle withh perfect traction out of corners which I know should not be possible. I think the lap times on Laguna Seca are probably faster than in real life but have not tried a comparison yet.

Here is what I wrote couple of pages back.

Looks like this is true and Turn 10 have not fixed the main issues I had with Forza 3. Too much traction, hard to lose control of the car and it steers for you. I'm sure though that people who did not notice this in Forza 3 will enjoy the driving physics but I never did as it feels there is not much skill required. It is all about positioning the car and going full throttle, feels too arcadey for me. I don't get why Turn 10 can't make it so that you progess slowly to full throttle or going on and off full throttle multiple times does not destabilise the car much at all for me. I wonder why they do not remove the permanent steering assist when driving on expert settings?

Oddly enough some of us have had a different experience.

Back