Forza 4 Demo Thread

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 1,080 comments
I found it best to improve by setting a rival that is .5 to 1.0 second ahead of my time.

At first it was so hard to get a flow going but after slowly increasing my rivals time I've started to get more and more speed from corner to corner.

nothing wrong with being an arcade racer though and that's what it will be if it has no pits. I have yet to watch a race on TV and not see someone pit. just cant be a sim without tire wear / fuel consumption / pits.

Anyway I will keep my pc sims along with gt5 for that and enjoy FM 4 for whatever it will bring to the table*

LOL, that is just seriously laughable..

Of course it has pits.. in the demo, you can even drive into them, it just does a drive through, but it's clearly there... There where there in FM3, tyre wear/fuel is consumed etc, etc, etc..

It won't have pit animations like GT5...

But just to come back at the notion you think GT5 is such an awesome sim, how do you get your head around all the physics things it doesn't do (Maybe in Spec 2, who knows) model, like tyre pressures issue? I haven't see a race series where they can't adjust tyre pressures, I guess I'll have to keep PC sims and FM3/4 for that, and enjoy GT5 for maybe some token thing it'll possibly bring to the table..

See how ridiculous you can make anything sound if you want?

For the record, I like a lot about GT5 as a simulator, as I do FM3/4, but lets face it, neither is as perfect simulation wise (Compared to the PC hardcore PC stuff when viewed as a package)

I found it best to improve by setting a rival that is .5 to 1.0 second ahead of my time.

At first it was so hard to get a flow going but after slowly increasing my rivals time I've started to get more and more speed from corner to corner.
This is good advice, it's how I knocked over a second off when I thought I'd reached my limit..

Last edited:
NA
If I were Kaz, or Dan, I think i'd call the other one and set up a little april fools joke for next year. Each of "us" would come up with a little "demo" for GT6/FM5 respectively, only The GT6 demo would work on Xbox, and FM on PS3. Kaz would release Dan's FM5 demo has GT6, and Dan releases the GT6 demo as FM5. Release them both about the middle of march. Wait untill all the fans are wound up comparring the two, and on April fools, come out with a joint press conference just to say "gotcha!", and walk off the stage. :lol:

True. It would really show which is the fans of the brand or the idea or fans of the games themselves.

For all I know Dan laughs at all those that bought the heavy marketing about the increased realism of Forza 4. Not that I don´t realize that every single game developer feel forced to use realism as a PR slogan.

haha. I actually thought about something like that the other day.

Imagine if we could somehow make one track and car look exactly the same in both GT and FM except for the physics.

I wonder just how many people that claim " Well this race game is obviously better at this than this race game!" wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two different games based solely on physics.

Yeah, just a thought.

Anyway, back to topic:
The Cinque is really addictive to drive. I can't WAIT to drive the Prototypes omg they should feel amazing!

The Ferrari also drives quite well, pretty similar to GT's take in my book.

One thing I've noticed about the leaderboards is that a couple days ago it seemed that most people at the top weren't using the clutch, and now the top, like, 6 times were all done using the clutch, amazing.

I'm still on the controller for the rest of this week (CSR should be here soon) so it would take sometime for me to get used to using the clutch as it's mapped currently. I'm sure there's a few fast guys on controllers, so my question to them would be: how are you holding your pad? I can upshift pretty well since the clutch button's LB but trying to brake and downshift's a pain 'cause I have to go from braking with my index finger to my middle. It would be good if both bumpers were the clutch (F1 xD) and I could just look behind me with Y.

I got down to a 1:42.6xx and am pretty proud of that, I guess, since I haven't used a pad for a racing game since GT4 and hardly played any of the previous Forzas.

I play bumper jumper in Halo which requires the use of the left bumper and left trigger very often.

Easiest way is to use your knuckle on the outer edge of the bumper to press it. Not as comfortable as using 'A' to clutch but it works.

FyreandIce
I play bumper jumper in Halo which requires the use of the left bumper and left trigger very often.

Easiest way is to use your knuckle on the outer edge of the bumper to press it. Not as comfortable as using 'A' to clutch but it works.

Lol. I do the same thing. Great way to piss of people and make noobs look dumb. That is until a "pro" just melees you out of the air.... Lol.

I'm running a 1:43 dead or something like that with the Zonda, on the pad. Not much more to come for me without the wheel I don't think. Started getting used to it again last night.

Beemer challenge is great fun and I'm top 1,500 for that, 1200th I think.

Fezzer challenge I have no idea but I'm running high 1:24 clean, with some dirty (light tap on an AI, not cheating) high 1:22s.

The Rivals mode is addicting but highly frustrating. I find I WANT to play it all the time, but can only play it for a SHORT time lol.

I've been a GT fan since as long as i can remember but i'm seriously contemplating buying a 360 and fanatec wheel just for this game. There is just one thing i would like to know, how are the physics?

You should feel pretty good from the get go if you jump on Forza. It'll feel more under steery than you're used to at first, but that's mostly 'cause you need to get used to the different sense of speed, not due to any drastic differences in physics. Also the braking model is more real-world in Forza in that it punishes you more for trying to trail brake or dive. So just start from scratch, let go of everything you knew in GT to go fast. Start on Forza, take it real easy at first learning your bounds then keep telling yourself, " Slow in, fast out."

You'll do fine, and I'm sure you'll come around to liking it a lot. It won't mean you'll think Forza's way will be so much better that you couldn't go back to GT, each just has different strengths with GT edging out Forza just a tad in my book when it comes to street cars and certain GT or tin-top cars.

Forza's brakes are much better. Weight transition's about as good but the character of it is different from the few cars in the demo I've tried.

Forza's strength, in my hands, has always been the faster prototypes or hyper cars. They seem to just go more naturally in Forza (or least how I'd expect them to). Now that I've tried the HPD Acura in iRacing I can say that Forza's Prototypes are a lot closer to what a LMP should be than what GT offers.

The tire model isn't all that they seemed to promise, I'd still rate it as about average and on par with GT's. If only Forza had different compounds that would wear differently I'd definitely put it way over GT. Right now it seems there aren't but at least the telemetry for tire temperature's there, should help with tuning.

Aero seems to be better on the Zonda. Power train's improved from what I remember in FM3, the AWD in FM3 was really lacking but it feels great in the Subaru.

Tuning should be a bit easier and more complete in the retail game though.

Have you played with a fanatec wheel? does are steering assists gone in sim mode?

Yes... If you have your wheel set to 900 Degree's there is a glitch, that is being fixed though..

However, still expect it to be more forgiving once you cross the limit. it doesn't bother most, but some people like it swapping ends readily, it's far more progressive then that, better then FM3, but not what a lot of people 'expect'..

Yes... If you have your wheel set to 900 Degree's there is a glitch, that is being fixed though..
Haven't beena round for a few hours, did T10 really announce that they're going to fix the steering assist bug/glitch/whatever it is?

Not officially, but yup.

Thank you for your effort Yoritomo, I took the liberty to quote your Neogaf posts in above "VS" theme this morning.

I hope they'll settle it for behalf of all of us that care.

👍

I'm still not sure if it's really worth buying an xbox and a fanatec wheel just to play this game. Especially when i already own a G27.

However, still expect it to be more forgiving once you cross the limit. it doesn't bother most, but some people like it swapping ends readily, it's far more progressive then that, better then FM3, but not what a lot of people 'expect'..

What glitch is that. How does it show?

I'm still not sure if it's really worth buying an xbox and a fanatec wheel just to play this game. Especially when i already own a G27.

If you're just a casual racer probably not, if you're really into racing definitely should. Upgrading from the G27 to the Fanatec is worth it on it's own. I own both and it's no contest. And I own the old Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel. You'd be getting the new and improved Fanatec models.

What glitch is that. How does it show?
It basically re-enabled the steering assist that is available with the standard steering mode when you selected simulation steering mode.

It's somehow related to using a 900° wheel.

If you're just a casual racer probably not, if you're really into racing definitely should. Upgrading from the G27 to the Fanatec is worth it on it's own. I own both and it's no contest. And I own the old Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel. You'd be getting the new and improved Fanatec models.

It's all about the money though. And as I live in Australia the Fanatec is going to cost a fortune and a new xbox isn't cheap over here either, especially when i just bought a new ps3 after the YLOD.

Demo thoughts:

Pretty much exactly what I expected. Feels like FM 3 but with more polish. I did the quick races and rival modes. Had some fun. But while driving the Zonda Cinque roadster I couldn't help but miss Shift 2. Loved driving my Zondas in that game at full 1080p on my PC. Sigh.

LOL, that is just seriously laughable..

Of course it has pits.. in the demo, you can even drive into them, it just does a drive through, but it's clearly there... There where there in FM3, tyre wear/fuel is consumed etc, etc, etc..

It won't have pit animations like GT5...

But just to come back at the notion you think GT5 is such an awesome sim, how do you get your head around all the physics things it doesn't do (Maybe in Spec 2, who knows) model, like tyre pressures issue? I haven't see a race series where they can't adjust tyre pressures, I guess I'll have to keep PC sims and FM3/4 for that, and enjoy GT5 for maybe some token thing it'll possibly bring to the table..

See how ridiculous you can make anything sound if you want?

For the record, I like a lot about GT5 as a simulator, as I do FM3/4, but lets face it, neither is as perfect simulation wise (Compared to the PC hardcore PC stuff when viewed as a package)

This is good advice, it's how I knocked over a second off when I thought I'd reached my limit..

What I'm referring to it will be missing practice sessions, qualifying sessions, etc. That is when you use the pits. And yeah, not having control during pitting..... That's not very sim-like right. Also, in arcade racing games, you do not often have the option to enter pits. Arcade. Strong Arcade. In a PC Sim, you always have the option to pit. What is funny about that I am missing the punchline* [edit- lol I just noticed I can pit at anytime even in the demo, fail]

You put a lot of words into my mouth. GT5 is pretty much in the same boat with Forza. Please show me where I said in any post that GT5 > Forza. You'll never ever find it. I've been a forza player since FM 2 and I'm saying it's got a strong arcade vibe. Granted, I do vastly prefer gt5 to fm 3 I admit (after all this gtplanet!)

Unlike iRacing or rFactor, you do not have to do warm up laps or qualifying sessions. Also you lack control in the pits

I cant tell if forza ever had fuel consumption. I know I've run out of fuel in iRacing / rFactor easily. But alas I got bored with fm 3 before Class R or whatever. Never done an endurance race in it. But yeah Forza is missing so many sim features its not funny. Very far away from it.

Nothing wrong with being an Arcade racing game at all though. Nice escape from sims

Last edited:
It basically re-enabled the steering assist that is available with the standard steering mode when you selected simulation steering mode.

It's somehow related to using a 900° wheel.

Okay now that would perhaps explain the arcade feel of F4. So running 890 would fix it?

Wonder if it´s a glitch or if it´s intentional. Maybe I am just paranoid :P

What I'm referring to it will be missing practice sessions, qualifying sessions, etc. That is when you use the pits. And yeah, not having control during pitting..... That's not very sim-like right.

You put a lot of words into my mouth. GT5 is pretty much in the same boat with Forza. Please show me where I said in any post that GT5 > Forza. You'll never ever find it. I've been a forza player since FM 2 and I'm saying it's got a strong arcade vibe. Granted, I do vastly prefer gt5 to fm 3 I admit (after all this gtplanet!)

Unlike iRacing or rFactor, you do not have to do warm up laps or qualifying sessions. Also you lack control in the pits

I cant tell if forza ever had fuel consumption. I know I've run out of fuel in iRacing / rFactor easily. But alas I got bored with fm 3 before Class R or whatever. Never done an endurance race in it. But yeah Forza is missing so many sim features its not funny. Very far away from it.

Nothing wrong with being an Arcade racing game at all though. Nice escape from sims

Saying FM4 is an arcade game, based on some quite false information and classing GT5 as a sim is pretty much where your derision lays..

FM4 has pits.. you get fuel/tyres and it will fix some mechanical damage..

You can have practice/qualifying in MP, you set up your qualifying criteria in anyway you like, say 5 laps, or 10 minutes, best time 'wins'.. At the end, the lobby points then show your correct qualifying positions, you then change the settings to the race, and off you go.. It doesn't have explicitly labelled 'Practice/Qualifying/Race', but the lobby tools allows all this to be done with ease (just load each race type).. you can have multiple heat racing done easily, it's not perfect, but it's exceedingly flexible..

Fuel is consumed, I've run out on longer races, wondering why my car suddenly lost all power and I think it lets you crawl back at 5mph or something ridiculous..

It also has massive 'tuning' support, being able to build/save/load tunes and even lock these in race lobbies.. In fact organised 'sim' race options in private MP lobbies is exceedingly well catered for.. including saving replays so they are publically available for steward reviews etc..

The physics also models a lot of simulation params.. more so then any other console game I'm aware of.

In terms of simulation, FM3 was already arguably easily on par if not better then GT5 if you look at everything.. FM4 I assume is at least as good as FM3, maybe even slightly improved..

To say FM4 is arcade and a nice break from sims, yet tell me that GT5 a sim is just silly, even based on your own criteria, you clearly have labelled FM4 an arcade game without actually knowing about it much at all..

Last edited:
Both GT5 & Forza are Arcade but I admit I gave some bad examples in my post due to my lack of experience with Forza. I admit it was laughable*

Okay now that would perhaps explain the arcade feel of F4. So running 890 would fix it?

Wonder if it´s a glitch or if it´s intentional. Maybe I am just paranoid :P

Major fail on their part not testing the game with a 900 deg steering wheel. In their defense, GT5 has some silly issues with Logitech wheels as well and S2U is painful in drift with my wheel. So they no worse off then the avg console dev to be fair - qedit

Last edited:
Both GT5 & Forza are Arcade but I admit I gave some bad examples in my post due to my lack of experience with Forza. I admit it was laughable*

No problem at all.. I may have misjudged you.. but I do share the understanding that FM is not iRacing/GTR/rFactor.. I play those too.. we coined the term 'simcade'.. it encompasses GT5/FM in a nice way I feel, it's saying it's fun with some arcade tinge to it, but a bit of serious 'sim' stuff going on as well..

:)

I dont think its a stupid idea at all. In fact I like the challenge of batteling through wave after wave of AI. Otherwise all you are doing is time attack racing. Reminds me of the car passing challenges in PGR4 which were a lot of fun to me. It also reminds me of the real life road track events I attend where we have to pass slower cars while battleing the time. Thats why there are some events with and some without the traffic in the F4 demo to please everyone. 👍
Its not very often in real life where you get an entire track to yourself. Traffic on is much more realistic.
People want a realistic simulation racer, yet complain when traffic is on the track? :dunce:

Yup, it's a nice challenge and fun. It's optional. If you don't like it, do the other Rival challenges without the AI on the track. Nobody is forcing you to do one or the other.

just cant be a sim without tire wear / fuel consumption / pits.

Forza has all that.

Of course it has pits.. in the demo, you can even drive into them, it just does a drive through, but it's clearly there.

The demo also does pit repairs/refuel.

Major fail on their part not testing the game with a 900 deg steering wheel.
Considering what people had to do in their videos to proof its existence, it's not that usprising, really. I doubt that their beta testers kept fishtailing their cars in order to check for that assist.

I still agree about it being fail, though.

No problem at all.. I may have misjudged you.. but I do share the understanding that FM is not iRacing/GTR/rFactor.. I play those too.. we coined the term 'simcade'.. it encompasses GT5/FM in a nice way I feel, it's saying it's fun with some arcade tinge to it, but a bit of serious 'sim' stuff going on as well..

:)

Thanks you wrote very good posts I agree with your arguments. I got schooled about fuel / tire wear haha

Back