Forza 4 Demo Thread

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 1,080 comments
Saying FM4 is an arcade game, based on some quite false information and classing GT5 as a sim is pretty much where your derision lays..

FM4 has pits.. you get fuel/tyres and it will fix some mechanical damage..

You can have practice/qualifying in MP, you set up your qualifying criteria in anyway you like, say 5 laps, or 10 minutes, best time 'wins'.. At the end, the lobby points then show your correct qualifying positions, you then change the settings to the race, and off you go.. It doesn't have explicitly labelled 'Practice/Qualifying/Race', but the lobby tools allows all this to be done with ease (just load each race type).. you can have multiple heat racing done easily, it's not perfect, but it's exceedingly flexible..

Fuel is consumed, I've run out on longer races, wondering why my car suddenly lost all power and I think it lets you crawl back at 5mph or something ridiculous..

It also has massive 'tuning' support, being able to build/save/load tunes and even lock these in race lobbies.. In fact organised 'sim' race options in private MP lobbies is exceedingly well catered for.. including saving replays so they are publically available for steward reviews etc..

The physics also models a lot of simulation params.. more so then any other console game I'm aware of.

In terms of simulation, FM3 was already arguably easily on par if not better then GT5 if you look at everything.. FM4 I assume is at least as good as FM3, maybe even slightly improved..

To say FM4 is arcade and a nice break from sims, yet tell me that GT5 a sim is just silly, even based on your own criteria, you clearly have labelled FM4 an arcade game without actually knowing about it much at all..

Great reply. For a guy who's quick to call Forza "Strong Arcade" and yet "cant tell if forza ever had fuel consumption" when there's a fuel gauge steadily decreasing is perplexing. If people put half the time in the game as they do their "reviews" they might learn more about Forza than wait for the youtube boot up vid to finish,close it out , and start posting their "expertise" on the title.

It's really irritating because some poor slob comes along and reads it and thinks "Hey this guys must know what he's talking about" when in-fact their basically clueless.

I admit I gave poor examples but Forza is still no sim by any stretch

Depends on what you consider is a sim.

If your bottom line of a sim is Race Pro or Rfactor then it's totally fine. If your bottom line is F12011 or GT6 then well.....

I'm not sure if this is on topic (probably not so I'll hush for awhile after this post/edit). But for sure with the offline play Forza 3 always felt strong Arcade with the brief races, lack of qualifying, etc. (I realize fm 3 had endurance races further up but I admit I got bored before getting there and just focused on painting my cars, etc)

For FM 4 all we have is a demo atm although its obvious it will be the same style.

Also not driving through pits..... Theres a crapload of other stuff. Don't want to derail the thread further.

Just not a sim, that's all I can say lol

Depends on what you consider is a sim.

If your bottom line of a sim is Race Pro or Rfactor then it's totally fine. If your bottom line is F12011 or GT6 then well.....

Yeah pretty much a proper sim would be iRacing or rFactor (+some games based on rFactor such as Race 07 / GTR2 / etc)

Last edited:
If you want to say it's not YOUR kind of sim then fine but to outright dismiss it as not being a sim at all is ridiculous.

I got 50 bucks that this thing doesn't have a pitstop anywhere in it and it'll blow the doors off anything you think is a sim.

I sort of see his point of Forza being a more gamer friendly design though, there is a point.

And being a sim isn't the holy-grail, a pure sim is often a sandbox that isn't much fun unless you are into the serious competitive scene, or a very very good hotlapper who can appreciates the subtle details.

Having been in both worlds they fulfill much different needs, when you want to get serious in Forza you can, qualifying. tire wear and all that, but no full control in pits and no flag rules etc is indeed a factor preventing it from being a true competitive simulation title.

I'm not sure if this is on topic (probably not so I'll hush for awhile after this post/edit). But for sure with the offline play Forza 3 always felt strong Arcade with the brief races, lack of qualifying, etc. (I realize fm 3 had endurance races further up but I admit I got bored before getting there and just focused on painting my cars, etc)

For FM 4 all we have is a demo atm although its obvious it will be the same style.

Also not driving through pits..... Theres a crapload of other stuff. Don't want to derail the thread further.

Just not a sim, that's all I can say lol

Yeah pretty much a proper sim would be iRacing or rFactor (+some games based on rFactor such as Race 07 / GTR2 / etc)

If Forza isn't a sim by your standards, than neither is GT.

If Forza isn't a sim by your standards, than neither is GT.

Correct. I never called GT5 a sim either.

... Anyway I will keep my pc sims along with gt5 for that and enjoy FM 4 for whatever it will bring to the table*

Granted, I don't blame anyone for being confused because I wrote a lot of incorrect statements as well as phil-t, etc caught

Fuel is consumed, I've run out on longer races, wondering why my car suddenly lost all power and I think it lets you crawl back at 5mph or something ridiculous.
It just stops the engine (in FM3). I was shocked too !

I posted similar feelings to Sandbox somewhere else.

Single player career lacks in lots of racers.
F1 2011 comes in for some criticism but is by far the best single player career mode bar none. My opinion.

Shift 2 is a close second also race pro is very nice too with custom championships.

Wish it was something the developers put more into.
Forza 3 had single campaigns splits into multiple races. Object was to always get gold in each rather than a running tally.

My 2peneth, and as someone who purchased FM3 and put in some crazy hours and got a good 2 years play out of it and loved the game.

1st thoughts on demo.

Dont like the design front end compared to FM3. I am one of the few that loved to clean clinical white back ground.

Demo it dosent look that sharp front end either, little bit lo res, maybe just cause a demo.
Not keen on fantasy tracks but certainly looks amazing.

minor gripe, just wish that they could of given us windscreens this time around, got used to Shift 2's emersive cockpit and FM4 looks little bit, stale inside car? bit dull.

cant wait for 14th though!!

Is the demo available for non gold members yet?I checked it the day of and you have to be a gold member to download it.

no game is a sim if ya have a steering assist that ya cant turn off.

Like power steering?

Look the way i see it is when i drive my real cars i feel the steering wheel doing things without my imput, sort of like going round a round about taking hands off wheel and wheel spins around on its own, not a steering assist but just the tyres making contact with the road. See thats what happens in FM3 and 4. Its normal, why cant people see this, your front tyres are in contact with the road, no thin air so its not and assist its just basic physics!!! FFS!

If you want to say it's not YOUR kind of sim then fine but to outright dismiss it as not being a sim at all is ridiculous. I got 50 bucks that this thing doesn't have a pitstop anywhere in it and it'll blow the doors off anything you think is a sim.

Oh no you di in't :)

no game is a sim if ya have a steering assist that ya cant turn off.

Well then, there goes GT and FM out the window :)

Well.....I'd have to knock a few walls out,....... demo the neighbors on either side,.......no big deal. They're noisy anyway. Time for them to move.

Considering what people had to do in their videos to proof its existence, it's not that usprising, really. I doubt that their beta testers kept fishtailing their cars in order to check for that assist.

I still agree about it being fail, though.

Turn10 need to be more picky about it´s beta testers if that is the case. Probably intentional to make people feel good about themselves and buy easier :). It´s not impossible I will be driving this if I happen to get it since I must admit it was fun lol

Is the issue with all wheels capable of 900 degrees or if it´s when running at 900 degrees?. is 890 fine or do you need to go below 270?. When I get down to 270 in the LCD display (Fanatec Turbo S) I get the message to reconnect the controller. Question is then if the aid is also there below 270 if it believes I am running a gamepad?

You have a damn big living room, I envy you :/

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

I look at it this way: If I had the cash for a full motion setup of that scope, just to run Forza, GT, and some PC sims, well, I could most likely afford a stadium to put it in. Nah, my priorities are not out of wack or anything...;)

From what I've read, they're going to fix it for the final release anyways, probably with a patch. That's what I gathered, at least.

Also, what do you tell your beta testers to do? Play the game and watch for bugs. You can hardly blame your average beta tester to not be as anal about this stuff as some folks on here are (this isn't meant to be offensive, by the way).

NA
I look at it this way: If I had the cash for a full motion setup of that scope, just to run Forza, GT, and some PC sims, well, I could most likely afford a stadium to put it in. Nah, my priorities are not out of wack or anything...;)

Or you could afford to buy all the cars in the game that you would want and actually go to the track with them for the same cost of a stadium. :lol: 👍

Late to the party but decided to try the demo today. It doesn´t appear that the wheels are supported in the demo? If so can we expect a proper demo before Forza 4 is released or is there something with my Fanatec Turbo S wheel acting up? The console detect it as normal though.

Stuck with the gamepads it was very hard to be immersed. Get no road feel at all feels like I am on a hockey rink or something just with massive amount of grip of course :)

Yeah that's part of my detachment with forza I cant use my wheel (t500rs) with it. And I'm not certain if I want to part with $500+ for a worthy Fanatec wheel and wheel stand just for Forza. If I decide not to buy a wheel at the very least I can sit on the couch with the kids and play the game with Kinect

Was hoping playing the demo this morning would help me decide to part with the money for a Fanatec but I'm still a little skeptical. I'll still be buying the game though 👍

That's the beauty with forza I can just hire a driver to earn me some credits or farm a little with Kinect (make my lil boy do it) and just focus on painting. In my PC sims all there really is to do is just race, study telemetry, and optimize lap times. That can get tedious and this looks like this will fit the bill for a good break

From what I've read, they're going to fix it for the final release anyways, probably with a patch. That's what I gathered, at least.

Also, what do you tell your beta testers to do? Play the game and watch for bugs. You can hardly blame your average beta tester to not be as anal about this stuff as some folks on here are (this isn't meant to be offensive, by the way).

I would tell my beta testers to look for bugs and REPORT them. Beta testers are supposed to be way more demanding then the average kid just looking for a new game. I mean I sniffed out there was a problem within an hour. I couldn´t say what it was but if I was beta testing I would be in contact with them about it asking what´s going on here with my super human recovering powers :D

I am not a beta tester so I wasn´t really hunting for this it just appeared. It would be nice to get an official confirmation that it will be fixed if there isn´t a workaround around this problem. I can´t test out games by gamepad for a dime since it´s so unnatural for me and I am to old to learn new tricks lol

Yeah that's part of my detachment with forza I cant use my wheel (t500rs) with it. And I'm not certain if I want to part with $500+ for a worthy Fanatec wheel and wheel stand just for Forza. If I decide not to buy a wheel at the very least I can sit on the couch with the kids and play the game with Kinect

Was hoping playing the demo this morning would help me decide to part with the money for a Fanatec but I'm still a little skeptical. I'll still be buying the game though 👍

That's the beauty with forza I can just hire a driver to earn me some credits or farm a little with Kinect (make my lil boy do it) and just focus on painting. In my PC sims all there really is to do is just race, study telemetry, and optimize lap times. That can get tedious and this looks like this will fit the bill for a good break

I can understand it´s hard to justify another wheel if you already have the T500RS. I was running Forza 2 with the MS FFB wheel. Surely you will be depressed a bit at first being used to so much better wheels but it was certainly doable. Drive Force 360 wheel I also tried but that just sucked to much.

Maybe there will be some good turbo S wheels out there when the CSR:s get released. It does all that I need for all my platforms though not necessarily an upgrade to the T500RS I suppose except for the clubsport pedals :). The adjustability of the Fanatec wheels in the game independant of external software is a must for console racing I feel since just about all of them is so flawed being optimized for gamepad rather then steering wheel.

Back