Forza Horizon 4: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 13,852 comments
The new story thing is the worst thing in the world. The cars they give you are absolute crap and the 3 star targets are ridiculous. I've managed to get through 5 of them so far and they're some of the most frustrating and unrewarding challenges I've ever seen, and that's coming from someone who completed Mission 34 in GT4.

Argh. :mad:

The new story thing is the worst thing in the world. The cars they give you are absolute crap and the 3 star targets are ridiculous. I've managed to get through 5 of them so far and they're some of the most frustrating and unrewarding challenges I've ever seen, and that's coming from someone who completed Mission 34 in GT4.

By skills they mean go left and right a bunch of times and hit everything in sight(except cars and solid trees), this is the worst Story by far.

Got through all of it, it's garbage all the way in. It makes the taxi missions enjoyable...

I'd say, if you're not good at drifting, just don't bother with it.

Any reason why some of the seasonal championships have no rewind and some do?

My guess is that the creator didn't allow rewinds when making their blueprint, because I'm pretty sure the events Playground use are the entire blueprints people release, not just the route.

My guess is that the creator didn't allow rewinds when making their blueprint, because I'm pretty sure the events Playground use are the entire blueprints people release, not just the route.
That’s what I thought. Still makes me annoyed sometimes when I hit rewind and nothing happens.

I've come to realize that apart from the 4 seasons thing, everything about FH4 is uninspired. From the dialogue, to the businesses, to the houses, it's all... meh.

The "new car smell", so to speak has definitely worn off for me and we haven't even gotten to the second expansion. I've never burned out on a Forza game so fast.

I've come to realize that apart from the 4 seasons thing, everything about FH4 is uninspired. From the dialogue, to the businesses, to the houses, it's all... meh.

I agree, didn't care much about the dialogues, owning businesses could have been a great addition, but they implemented it like crap.
Then the houses, I loved tdu for this, especially the garage aspect. you could buy a house with some garage space and replicate your dream car garage and walk around it. But Forza found a way to mess it up basically. All the houses look old, not very interesting, which isn't a bad thing, but they could have put some modern and luxurious designs in to the game. Then some houses don't have proper driveways. For example, Fairlawn Manor (my favorite one). I don't know why, but this irritates me so much.

Its like the T10/PG attitude of Developers was ''that will do''.

However, there was someone at PG/T10 who insisted on wasting money and time on emotes...

Last edited:

Being honest here, some of the cars given to you are pretty underpowered, especially the BMW i8. Lack of power equals not being able to gain a lot of Skill Points.

Being honest here, some of the cars given to you are pretty underpowered, especially the BMW i8. Lack of power equals not being able to gain a lot of Skill Points.
I found the 918 harder then the I8 though lol, mainly because I would hit a car and restart my skill count.

I agree, didn't care much about the dialogues, owning businesses could have been a great addition, but they implemented it like crap.
Then the houses, I loved tdu for this, especially the garage aspect. you could buy a house with some garage space and replicate your dream car garage and walk around it. But Forza found a way to mess it op basically. All the houses look old, not very interesting, which isn't a bad thing, but they could have put some modern and luxurious designs in to the game. Then some houses don't have proper driveways. For example, Fairlawn Manor (my favorite one). I don't know why, but this irritates me so much.

Its like the T10/PG attitude of Developers was ''that will do''.

However, there was someone at PG/T10 who insisted on wasting money and time on emotes...
I believe they have finally peaked with the current formula that has evolved since FH2. Everything ( arguably the seasons too,) in FH4 is just an enhanced version of what was in FH2. I think they've reached the bottom of this particular well and I strongly move for them to go back to FH1's gameplay loop.
I think there's a bit more inspiration that can be squeezed out of it.

New Summer #Forzathon shop:

L7KSRq6.jpg

Again, we are witnessing a price increase.
I suggest that we should try and convince some of the point hoarders to spend their points or else they’ll ruin it for the rest of us.

This #Forzathon points bubble NEEDS to burst soon.

Feeling some deja vu?
Winter #Forzathon from December 6th 2018
sc1h2c625o221.jpg

The "new car smell", so to speak has definitely worn off for me and we haven't even gotten to the second expansion. I've never burned out on a Forza game so fast.

It’s honestly the most frustrating aspect about the game.

What we have here is an amazing game hampered by choices made by developers that are seemingly disconnected from the playerbase.

Last edited:
I love how Playground seems to ignore the fact people are able to farm Forzathon Points by messing with the clock, thus inflating currency and punishing clean players.

They should add a Hot Wheels 50th Anniversary suit next. Kenny's Hoonigan suit is cool, but I want to represent my die casts :)

Somewhat opposite experience for me. This is the most time I've spent playing a Horizon game in the entire series, so far. I've mostly moved onto other games on a day-to-day basis at this point, but I still go back for seasonal stuff and the occasional multiplayer every week - it's been like 4.5 months, after all.

Which isn't to say I think it's even close to perfect, of course. I share some of your complaints. I think the dialogue and "characters" are about as uninspired as it gets, in terms of writing, and the extremely surface-level implementation of them. I think the "Horizon Stories" format is undercooked, and mostly boils down to unskippable blather, followed by a basic time trial. I wish they'd done more to extend themselves a little more, into doing MORE with the Horizon concept, beyond adding cosmetics (which I'm 100% fine with them adding, by the way - they are leaning into the more laid-back, casual feel). The multiplayer has issues (especially before FFA Adventure came in), that I needn't rehash here - we all know them.

It seems pretty clear to me that trying to implement and solve the technical hurdles around the "seasons", and the associated work with having to account for four versions of the same map - not to mention the switch to a more TDU-style live environment with real players - ate up the vast majority of their development time.

At the same time, the driving is still as good as it's ever been. I think this is my favourite map of all four games, in terms of verticality and layout. The actual core racing is still a benchmark, for me, among open-world racers. I ultimately can look past all of the half-baked stuff, because for the most part it's still just bland garnish on an otherwise good steak.

However, I also agree that they've exhausted this current framework for the Horizon series. If Forza Horizon 5 is more of this, just with another Big New Feature (TM) or two, I will be disappointed. It's time to evolve the series, and take some new chances. A new console generation is the perfect time to do that. I also think Microsoft need to re-think this bi-annual "tick-tock" release cycle with the Forza games. Two years just isn't enough time to do much more than slowly iterate on your previous work, and make hard choices about which things you can spend time working on, and which you can't. The paint/livery tools and the auction house, for example, clearly weren't really touched at all for FH4. These games need to move to a three year cycle, at least. And six Forza-branded titles in a single console generation, is approaching over-saturation. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all that.

For now, I just want them to stop wasting their time on new "Horizon Stories" in the monthly updates, and put that time into focusing on more content for the game's strengths, and fixing it's more important weaknesses.

I've reinstalled the car pass. When I go to "manage game and add ons" it shows the car pass and the TVR and Caddy all installed. I've shut the game down, and even unplugged the console before restarting. It still says "This car will be released 2/14/2019."

Back