Forza Horizon 4: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 13,852 comments
How about the Carolinas? Add a bunch of vintage NASCAR cars and the road cars on which they're based spanning from the late '40s to like the early '90s (i.e. '49 or '50 Olds 88, mid-'60s Galaxie, '70 Monte Carlo, mid-'80s Thunderbird, etc.), to the '40 Ford, Hudson Hornet, Charger Daytona and so forth they already have and have lots of unpaved backroads that were originally the domain of moonshiners for rallying.

That's a pretty great idea actually - the banked oval in the Lego expansion was a nice addition, and having a dirt equivalent to go with it would allow some fun impromptu racing, as well as giving all of the dirt roads a thematic use outside of just rallying. It'd also give PG a reason to add possibly the greatest moonshine-running car ever built - the '57 Fairlane saloon with the NASCAR homologation supercharger, the only one of which was built to order for an actual moonshine runner (who was caught before taking delivery, fortunately for the cops). 300bhp was outside the realm of even Ferrari in 1957!

That's my theory as well. On top of the leaks, the massive influx of American cars recently (GT500, Shelby 1000, C8 Corvette, Iroc-Z, Cyclone, Typhoon, Velociraptor etc) fits the precedent.

Good point. Singer, Guntherworks, and Emory are all California/LA-based companies as well.

To reiterate what I posted earlier - FH4 never mentions London, or any city in the UK other than Edinburgh, despite covering landmarks from most of England. If they did Japan to the same scale you'd basically have somewhere like Osaka with Tokyo Bay / Expressway grafted onto the east and Mount Fuji up north. Just about the only relationship between FH4's map and actual geography is that Edinburgh is north of all of the English parts.

Fair enough, but London is far enough away from the fictionalized version of England in FH4 for it not to be extremely apparent that it isn't there. You can't just set a game on Tokyo bay and then not have Tokyo! It would be ridiculous/unbelievable. (And to be clear, again I'm not advocating for including Tokyo. I'm saying that if they can't do Tokyo properly - which is pretty understandable - they shouldn't design the game in such a way that the lack of Tokyo is odd. Set the game near Kyoto or something instead.)

Last edited:
I can't see them attempting Tokyo, personally. Up until Edinburgh, PG seemed to really stay away from throwing in densely packed cities (I feel Surfer's was their first real crack at including a large city in the series). Horizon 1 had Carson & 2 had Nice, but they felt like you could breeze through them pretty easily. Surfer's was larger, & definitely had a better representation of a large city, but the roads did seem still pretty open (I do get this design choice is likely to make it easier to have races, probably in the same way a lot of Horizon 4's roads seem a tad wider than what I've seen in media for the UK). Edinburgh's inclusion was the second time it felt like PG really went after including a city, this time more tightly-packed like many cities are whilst still having some road designs done with liberties taken to make the races there more interesting.

To make the leap to creating Tokyo and capturing the feel of it, as others have touched on, I think would end up doing Tokyo a disservice unless it ends up covering a massively wide area in-game. There's plenty of interesting roads through Tokyo, and there are some big multi-lane roads to provide racing room, but they'd still have to pack in everything else from the multiple landmarks, smaller 2-lane roads (could probably get away with not including the even smaller back streets), the iconic highway system & its bay (Rainbow Bridge?). I feel like Tokyo would have to take up a sizeable chunk of real estate to really represent its size & there would have to be careful design work that allows for interesting circuit designs whilst still capturing the authentic feel of Tokyo as the busiest city in the world. But, judging by the current trend, PG would prefer the vast majority of their maps be out in the open areas that make it easier to design the roads that make up their circuits as well as allow them to incorporate the different environments relevant to the country (Australia seemed really destined on giving us a taste of different biomes like the forest, outback, coastal towns, and a city).

I guess the alternative is to maybe focus around Tokyo Bay and re-capturing the feel around it, & just cut off the rest of the city and more iconic areas/landmarks in those areas. Otherwise, it's just so massive that goes on forever in all directions.
cats.jpg

Last edited:
I seriously hope not again in the USA; a country too much represented in videogames for my tastes.
There is a lot of locations suitable who have a huge potential, even if not so much "Mainstream": South Africa, North-West European Countries, South America, East Asia and a lot more...

Last edited:
I seriously hope not again in the USA; a country too much represented in videogames for my tastes.
There is a lot of locations suitable who have a huge potential, even if not so much "Mainstream": South Africa, North-West European Countries, South America, East Asia e a lot more...
Like many, I would like it if Forza Horizon would be set in Japan as Japan has great car culture. But I would not dismiss the U.S.A. outright.

I think it's quite logical that the U.S.A. is represented a lot in video games. Many game producers are based there, such as Turn10. But let's not just treat the USA as one country. It's way too diverse for that. Colorado is very different from California or Florida. And States such as Alaska or Hawaii are also very different. I loved Test Drive Unlimited (set on Oahu, Hawaii). I still think that's the best open world racing game I've ever come across with its brand specific dealership, houses with garages etc. I wouldn't be against having Forza Horizon going back to the U.S.A.

If they did, I would like it to be set around Monterrey, California. They could turn the Horizon festival into a car concours like on Pebble Beach and they could include Laguna Seca 1:1 for if you want to drive on an actual racetrack.

But you're right. There are many locations they could go for in the future. There literally is a world of possibilities. I just hope they connect they continue to connect the location to car culture (all the Australian cars in Horizon 3, many classic British cars in Horizon 4) because for me that's what Forza Horizon should be about.

FORZA-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Like many, I would like it if Forza Horizon would be set in Japan as Japan has great car culture.

I think it's quite logical that the U.S.A. is represented a lot in video games. Many game producers are based there, such as Turn10. But let's not just treat the USA as one country. It's way too diverse for that. Colorado is very different from California or Florida. And States such as Alaska or Hawaii are also very different. I loved Test Drive Unlimited (set on Oahu, Hawaii). I still think that's the best open world racing game I've ever come across with its brand specific dealership, houses with garages etc. I wouldn't be against having Forza Horizon going back to the U.S.A.

If they did, I would like it to be set around Monterrey, California. They could turn the Horizon festival into a car concours like on Pebble Beach and they could include Laguna Seca 1:1 for if you want to drive on an actual racetrack.

But you're right. There are many locations they could go for in the future. There literally is a world of possibilities. I just hope they connect they continue to connect the location to car culture (all the Australian cars in Horizon 3, many classic British cars in Horizon 4) because for me that's what Forza Horizon should be about.

FORZA-1-1.jpg

Speaking of that, AMR, TDU features with Forza Horizon engine? a (wet) dream coming true.
I can absolute understand your point of wiew, if they will made USA it would be a blast to have a setting like Monterey Car Week, with tons of classics and customs you see in Car Shows and Concours d'elegance.
Anyway where is is the next location in real it's not a problem... because there is only one thing sure: i will buy the game and play a lot like FH2/3/4 :P

Last edited:
Plus, anyone have the decrypted file - InterVehicleEmssiveBalancing.xml? My version is from 24/11/2019, which apparently is a bit outdated. New version anyone?

Somewhere in California that can include Solvang would be pretty neat. Isn't that in a bit from the Bay Area, meaning they could do Sausolito and Marin, whilst having an approximation of San Francisco as they did with Edinburgh? Heck, Crazy Taxi captured that city well enough with a small take on it.

Japan looks to be where FH5 will be.. I don't have big problems with this except that I don't want DRIFTING to gain back popularity.

VXR
Somewhere in California that can include Solvang would be pretty neat. Isn't that in a bit from the Bay Area, meaning they could do Sausolito and Marin, whilst having an approximation of San Francisco as they did with Edinburgh? Heck, Crazy Taxi captured that city well enough with a small take on it.

Solvang is waaaaaay south of the Bay Area, roughly halfway between Santa Barbara and Santa Maria. Granted, that wouldn't be much of a deterrent to PG's map designers but...still...

Everyone says this yet I still haven't seen any convincing evidence for FH5 going to Japan.
People said that about FH4 before it was revealed, some even said it about FH3.
Fake leaks happen all the time in the gaming industry, There was multiple "leaks" claiming Starfield would be released in 2017. Starfield wasn't even confirmed to be in development until E3 2018 and we still have seen nothing about the game since that original announcement teaser trailer.

I have said this a few times but if we want a place rich with untapped car culture, then Sweden would be great. It would also make sense with the seasons too.

No disrespect to Sweden or to seasons, but I would rather PG focus on improving the game than building 4 versions of the map (again) for dubious benefits. If it's Sweden, I want perpetual winter! :D

Last edited:
No disrespect to Sweden or to seasons, but I would rather PG focus on improving the game than building 4 versions of the map (again) for dubious benefits. If it's Sweden, I want perpetual winter! :D

As far as the car side of things goes, I definitely would NOT complain about more Volvos in Forza if the next game was in Sweden.

The same goes with both the U.S. and Japan. Both countries offer great cars that deserve a place in the series.

Last edited:
I always figured the next Horizon would be in the UAE since it's so supercar-oriented and has all sorts of desert for offroad racing.

I would not be a fan of Japan since I really don't want yet another Forza game that has you drive on the opposite side of the road. I still end up doing head-on collisions in Forza because I'm just not used to it.

So there was this FH5 map reportedly leaked on 4chan, I dont know if its true or not but there it is

*zooms in*.......sees Wangan Highway. Tunnels and Bridges baby....gimme, gimme!

If FH5 does come out soon, then that would mean it's based off "last gen" Forza tech, would it not be? I know Motorsport isn't out but I guess FH6 would be based off the newer engine then which is more exciting I think.

I think it could be perhaps in Japan, Xbox is trying it's best to make some sort of impact in Japan, a game like this could make it happen somewhat.

Last edited:
DAMMIT! I missed the Shelby! I keep forgetting about the seasons changing an hour earlier than usual because of DLS :banghead:

Latest Posts

Back