Forza Horizon 4: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 13,852 comments
I'm now looking for my first barn find.

I'll reiterate, there's so much to do. Part of me wants to go to my house and upload my paints from FM7, but another part wants to do more races, and another part wants to just explore.

I've had a CTD twice, but overall this is running really great. i7-6700HQ/16GB/GTX1070 8B/SSD. Getting 75-100 FPS at 1080p everything maxxed (so some settings on Extreme). 4k also runs fine, 40-50 FPS. VSync not working for me in full screen mode though, only in Windowed mode.

Sorry for not searching through the thread beforehand, but I managed to unlock the next season...in the middle of a 1-on-1 street race. I can't select the Horizon HQ, and I can't return to the race...help?

EDIT: Might as well just hit Alt+F4 and hope I don't lose any significant progress.

Just had my first proper play and so far I'm loving it. It looks beautiful(pc) and I haven't even seen winter or spring yet lol, This will be getting most if not all of my play time for the next week I would imagine. I'm also finding the wheelspins addictive since they seem to be giving better prizes than FH3, I got lucky with the wheelspins I got from the reward program and got a legendary Ferrari FF.

I've been playing for six hours. The only issue I've had on my OG XBox is about three times now, the engine sound gets stuck at a certain point and stays there until you force the issue by starting a race or entering a house or the festival. Otherwise, absolutely brilliant. Driving a Triumph TR3 through the Scottish highlands on a sunny winter day while Holst's Jupiter is playing on Timeless radio is just sublime. Can I move here? Not the real Scotland, this Scotland. Please?

Xbox One - not a single crash in 22h
PC - couldnt launch even,turned off Afterburner - runs perfectly fine now

Im affraid PG made a game which even they cant surpass (hopefully im wrong)-they have total monopoly now in this genre :D
Also opening 120+ normal spins and 30+ super was quite fun and fast

Fun and beauty pretty mush sums up game after 22h

From what I have played, I cannot overstate just how much more character there is to offroading, and it gives the off-road vehicles and SUV's a place where they can finally excel. (And this isn't somebody who runs an off-road club saying this, this is just a normal player)

The SUV's and trucks within Horizon 3 just felt like vehicles that were heftier, and considering the physics, just made it so that both supercars and SUV's/trucks had the same sort of net losses from going off the tarmac. Here, it feels like the offroad vehicles, SUV's and trucks very much are more capable off the road then your standard F-Type or whatever. I had a ball playing around in the snow with the Class 5 Baja Bug.

What also works in the off-roading's flavor is just the verticality of the map. Much has been made about how flat and at best undulating Australia in H3 was. Here, you're scaling mountains, the hills are much more harsh in terms of their peaks and valleys, and the variety in seasons adds to it.

Finally, you can see why PG has added not just the usual gamut of performance SUV's and trucks, but also pure off-road vehicles, and it doesn't feel like a waste. They truly feel like they are apart of a roster and not just an island in a sea of sports and super cars.

I agree on the handling being difficult with a controller. I did a dirt race in the R5 FE and it was near impossible to drive. Finished dead last.

(This with TCS and STM on)

Has anybody checked the windmill jump (1st movie stunt) leaderboard lately? At around two hours past midnight CST it was close to 100,000 jumps!

Last edited:
I agree on the handling being difficult with a controller. I did a dirt race in the R5 FE and it was near impossible to drive. Finished dead last.

Is this your first Horizon but you have played Motorsports? If that case, don't try to drive like in Motorsports, try being looser.
The control feels natural to me although I have noticed more understeer in general.

Game was running fine for me before work just slow load screens before races are the only bad thing for me now.

Another annoying thing which might end up being a long-term deal breaker unless addressed. I cannot get the hang of car control. It's like cars have no weight when steering and this leads to a lot of swerving at the smallest input corrections with the stick. Ultimate drifts are actually easier to hold than just driving normally. I don't remember any recent Forza game having such arcade-esque and unrewarding car control.

I have been fiddling with advanced controller settings since my previous post (also quoted above for context), and it actually helped considerably. Increasing the steering axis deadzone inside to 50 felt more controllable to me. It's a big jump from the default setting at 10, so maybe consider increasing in small steps in order to zoom in on the sweet spot.

The control feels natural to me although I have noticed more understeer in general.

Fair enough, but I'd urge everyone who's finding the controls too sensitive to at least try adjusting the inside steering deadzone.

Did everyone get awarded a gold Horizon Edition Zonda or did I unlock that somewhere? :confused:

One of the three VIP exclusive cars that were offered, so chances are if you were playing today, then you have it in your garage.

That makes sense, I've been playing for the last few hours and it's already one of my favourite cars. I've just found the 2nd barn find vehicle and I'm looking forward to having that one restored!

I managed to get trapped in between some of the massive rocks lying around in the quarry. My AMG GT was hanging on its stomach with its rear wheels exposed in free air. I'm sure a 4WD drivetrain would have saved the day.

I turned off my system, but once I switched over to television broadcast that U2 song was playing: "you got stuck in the moment, and you can't get out of it"... No joke. What the? :ill:

I'm enjoying the rally cross style events, fun with the new Ford Fiesta WRC I bought. and there's other rally based vehicles that have fallen into my lap due to wheelspins.

Is anyone playing in solo mode and without Gold subscription? Every time I start the game it gives me a warning that it couldn't connect to the servers, which must be because I don't have a Gold account. Then I can choose to play the game in solo mode, but there are no Drivatars.

Didn't Playground Games once promise that there would be traditional Drivatars for players who wouldn't be playing in the shared open online world?

Back