Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 17,343 comments
I concur. If anyone has learned ANYTHING from the Drivatars in the game, its that it doesn't pay to engage other cars physically. Contact slows you down, and allows the leaders to gain ground on you even more. When it comes to the Team racing nobody brakes early into the turns, and they find it much easier to slide into you when you brake into the turns and use you as a backstop. Other times idiots sideswipe you, and then when you course correct, (especially on dirt or grass) they mistake you hitting them back accidentally as an open invitation to hit you at every opportunity throughout the series. I find the approach of avoiding all contact to be the best startegy in the Co-Op races. I am usually near the top unless the idiots prevail. ( I use the term idiots loosly, but I mean poor sportsman). :D:gtpflag:
It does floor me how people can't figure out to slow down for corners. Not just slow down enough, slow down at all; they just kamikaze you into the wall, and they usually get out with minimal issue while you're left dealing with the fallout. Especially frustrating in Horizon Open which dishes out slow downs for wall collisions seemingly at random, and usually never in your favour.

That said, I've always been relatively lucky with Trials. There's almost always one odd one out that tries to force their way to the front but they're usually inept enough to crash out later and lose their position. Most players I've been against have been good enough to just work through the pack and then hold position/move over when necessary.

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh twice today I've won 2 PG Games events in a row only to lose the 3rd. So close to the shamrock badge but so far.....

Had a more productive time in Horizon Tour though. I only have the S2 accolade left now.

Finally after many, many attempts I'm a member of an elite Eliminati circle 😆

...that also makes the the game 100% complete for me achievement-wise 😏

e83aec5d-7947-44d0-b4a2-a293d13fcfa8.png

I'm curious to see what people's predictions are for Expansion #1 - given we are around 5 days away from the likely reveal of it at the Xbox/Bethesda Games Showcase. Is it going to be good, bad or ugly? Reinvigorate the playerbase or make it dwindle more?

I even made a little template to follow on with!

• Release date?
  • Theme?
  • Key features?
  • Notable cars?
  • Bigger than FH4's expansions?
  • Attached to the main map or fast travel point like past FH expansions?
Here's mine -

Release date?

16th of June

Name/Theme?

Forza Horizon xTreme Island

Key features?

Focuses on some "xtreme" racing disciplines not in Horizon (or well fleshed out). Drag Racing, Time Attack & Gymkhana - with new upgrades for existing cars to turn them into Drag/TA/Gymkhana spec cars.

Notable cars?

Subaru Hoonigan Gymkhana as the "cover car". Also Return of some old TA attack cars like the CT230R and dragsters like the Ford Fairlane.

Bigger than FH4's expansions?

Yes

Attached to the main map or fast travel point like past FH expansions?

No

Last edited:
Release date?

July 21

Name/Theme?

Horza Horizon 5 Neon City Expansion

Key features?

A separate city larger in size than Surfers Paradise in FH3, with a loop-style highway circling the map (this also serves as an implementation test of a conventionally larger city for FH6)

Also, adding cosmetic customization options in response to most community requests (like real brand lettering tires, underglow?)

Notable cars?

• 2020 Hoonigan Subaru WRX Gymkhana (cover car #1)
  • 1991 Mazda Autozam AZ-1 (or Cappuccino or Beat, the first Japanese kei car to be added to the Horizon series)
  • 2021 Apollo Evo Concept (cover car #2)

Bigger than FH4's expansions?

Yes (but only slightly)

Attached to the main map or fast travel point like past FH expansions?

No

Other guesses:

Supposedly about half of the cars included in the expansion are locked and cannot be purchased at the autoshow.
Players can unlock those cars by completing challenges that can be played in the expansion, but those cars would not be added to the autoshow and would also be impossible to sell or delete. (i.e. the same as barn finds in FH5)

I'm not expecting much Horizon content from the MS x Bethesda presentation Sunday. I fully expect the next Motorsport game to take center stage for anything racing related, just because we haven't seen a single thing about it since E3 2 years ago.

I got the GT3 last night, but was once again hit with the Monthly Trial bug only adding 1 point to my weekly total instead of 4. It's doubly odd as it adds the four points to the season total...

Was nice to get the M3 GTR again, too.

VXR
I got the GT3 last night, but was once again hit with the Monthly Trial bug only adding 1 point to my weekly total instead of 4. It's doubly odd as it adds the four points to the season total...

if i remember correctly, the devs said that the 1 point per week thing was intended from the start, instead of 4. i prefered 4 but its not that much more time consuming.

VXR

Not long ago they declared the existing specification a "bug" and "fixed" it from 4 points per week to 1 point per week.
I wonder why they didn't "fix" this in FH4 and kept it in place for years?

As was the case with car mastary, wheelspin, etc., I feel their nerfing to increase user engagement is overdone this time.

I'm curious to see what people's predictions are for Expansion #1
Release date? - June
Theme? - extreme seasonal weather conditions in mountains
Key features? - new mode with different progression mechanism
Notable cars? - something off-road/rally as cover, few comebacks, saloon, few supercars.
Bigger than FH4's expansions? - comparable
Attached to the main map or fast travel point like past FH expansions? - fast travel

City expansion won't be a thing because XOne.

Even if there is Motorsport news, I'd be surprised if the DLC wasn't announced Sunday, all signs seem to point to it. The fact that they kinda combined Series 7 and 8, no Let's Go stream for season 8, "Horizon Nexus" in the Series 9 preview sounds DLC-y, and the timing. First DLC has never been this late.
Theme? - extreme seasonal weather conditions in mountains
It's true that this has more or less been the DLC since the first Horizon (Rally, Storm Island, Blizzard Mountain, Fortune Island), but would be a tad disappointing if it's basically the same again. Especially since the main map already has extreme weather and plenty of biomes. Most ideas around offroading, weather, seasons and mountains kinda have been explored already.

First DLC always has been a trial for the next game, so I'd expect something new this time. City map would make sense, as people keep asking for Japan and it's one environment missing from the main map. If it is a standalone map I think they could make it work for old gen consoles, the engine should be flexible enough.

Personally I think we'll likely see a new type of racing/event (like Fortune island & Trailblazer) and/or progression system (like accolades in Lego island). Gymkhana as suggested above could be a good bet for the racing type IMO. And I think some kind of rival system with characters (like in the first game) for progression.

I'm not expecting much Horizon content from the MS x Bethesda presentation Sunday. I fully expect the next Motorsport game to take center stage for anything racing related, just because we haven't seen a single thing about it since E3 2 years ago.
If Forza Motorsport not-8 is announced, it will definitely take center stage (for racing games, anyway.) But there’s no reason FH5’s first expansion can’t be introduced at the same time as well. They’re truly different games. Introducing one won’t step on the toes of introducing the other.

If Forza Motorsport not-8 is announced, it will definitely take center stage (for racing games, anyway.) But there’s no reason FH5’s first expansion can’t be introduced at the same time as well. They’re truly different games. Introducing one won’t step on the toes of introducing the other.
They have the main showcase on 12th and then an extended showcase on the 14th. So they can easy slip a 2 minute announce trailer into either of them. They can just hold a let's go livestream soon after to dive in depth along with the series 9 stuff, which is 2 weeks from today.

My favourite crackpot theory was that the expansion is going to be Jurassic World themed (to tie into the movie) and now I've worked myself up to get excited for it

Like what does that thing even look like

if i remember correctly, the devs said that the 1 point per week thing was intended from the start, instead of 4. i prefered 4 but its not that much more time consuming.

The fact it still says 4 points and gives 4 towards the season kinda makes sense, if it's 1-per week, 4 per season. It just needs to be updated on the Playlist and save confusion.

My favourite crackpot theory was that the expansion is going to be Jurassic World themed (to tie into the movie) and now I've worked myself up to get excited for it

Like what does that thing even look like
IDK, but it would have a first-gen Explorer and M-Class with movie-car-mimicking body kits.

Slightly off the current topic sorry, but is anyone else having trouble with Horizon Open accolades not popping. No matter what I do I can't currently get any to recognise me doing them.

Personally I think we'll likely see a new type of racing/event (like Fortune island & Trailblazer) and/or progression system (like accolades in Lego island). Gymkhana as suggested above could be a good bet for the racing type IMO. And I think some kind of rival system with characters (like in the first game) for progression.
Good call on a different progression system. The rivals system makes sense since there has been a lot of feedback about progression and people seem to point to FH1 as being a "better" system. I'd like to see it return, plus perhaps locking the rivals behind a class.

So you start with the C Class rival, who only has events in C-Class. Then the B-Class rival, A-Class and so on and so forth.

Surprised to see the first expansion is a toy tie-in and it is Hot Wheels again.

But that banner is not showing up on my Steam store, got deleted I guess?

Last edited:
The Hot Wheels expansion in FH3 was hilariously good fun, so I’m happy with this. But I’ll admit I’m surprised. Both because they’re revisiting something they’ve done before, and because this breaks the standard format of “expansion 1 (semi-)realistic” and “expansion 2 fun and games”.

Last edited:
Back