Forza Horizon 5: General Discussion

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 17,333 comments
Idle thought: can we get the Abatti Racing F100 Trophy truck from Blizzard Mountain back? I am surprised that never made the jump from FH3 to 4, and considering how offroading seems to play a bigger part in the car list now, it would certainly be at home.
This would be a fantastic inclusion for Mexico.

Speaking of biomes, what is the definition of the it with regards to the game itself? Googled the term but didn't really understood it in terms for the game's environment.
Biomes are usually areas that are distinctive for their plant and animal life, as well as weather. A desert is a biome. A rain forest is another type of biome. Tundra, boreal forests, grasslands are all different kinds of biomes. It sounds like FH5 is using the word biome not only for these areas, but for cities and towns as well.

Idle thought: can we get the Abatti Racing F100 Trophy truck from Blizzard Mountain back? I am surprised that never made the jump from FH3 to 4, and considering how offroading seems to play a bigger part in the car list now, it would certainly be at home.
I love that truck and I'd find myself going back to Blizzard Mountain and FH3 just to listen to the exhaust echo through the valley.

I can hardly play FH4 anymore, and the comparatively boring locale (the UK is so much more interesting than the area chosen for the game) bothers me a whole lot more than it ever did. :lol:

Can it be November already?

With the prospect of new customisation for our driver in the new game do you think we will also get the option to choose if we want to have a victory/showboat or just be 'boring' and not have one.

For me this is the only thing I do not like about the current game as most players always choose the annoying victory/showboats but I would like the option to turn that off as I think that part of the drivatar's personality is a bit too generic and more 'provocative' than a real person would be.

Very least give us a neutral or 'meh' pose so I can say I don't really care at the end of the race.
That's the default one, as someone already pointed out. I just left it like that, never bothered with this silliness. Also, very nice of the game to make unsportman-like behaviours part of the game's mechanics.
With FH5 going back to North America with Mexico I'd love to see a remastered version of FH1's Colorado map as a DLC Expansion.
That's something I've though about for some time now. Why don't they do that in the Horizon games? Bring back an old map, with new events. Since old games in the series are removed from stores, it would be nice to drive those maps again, with the new content.
I really like this. I think we are where we are with customization because PG has chosen to include so many vehicles...it's become unmanageable to have deep customization considering the magnitude of those included. If we had, say, 20-50 cars with enhanced customization (including interior, modeled engine modifications, etc) options, that would be awesome.
I don't see why we couldn't have some basic stuff that would be the same for every vehicle though. Think of the variety of spoilers in the NFS games (no need to have those crazier ones that don't even look aerodynamic though), or of steering wheels, seats, or a rev-counter, like in Midnight Club L.A.
One little but very noticeable thing I hope they improve on: FH4's whole thing with zapping you to a big yawning white void the moment you cross the finish line? It sucks. In FH3, I always kept cosmetic damage on because it was really something to watch my roughed-up, dirt-caked car cross the line in cool slo-mo with the crowd cheering in the background. Teleporting me to some kind of THX-1138 nowhere-space instead took a lot out of the presentation.
Would definitely be a nice change
Well I made my pre-order for the 'standard' edition of FH5 so I shall now definitely be there on launch day and this time I will not take 12 months to actually start the game...
12 months? It took me 2 years.

2021-07-02 19_05_20-Greenshot - Copy.jpg

I hope FH5 has the same/more elevation variety that FH4 had.

FH4 was lacking in biome variety when compared to FH3, but blew away the latter when it came down to elevation variety, something that really pulled me into the former.

I also forgot what I came here for in the first place:

I hope we don't lose too many cars from FH4.

...the Lego cars can go away, though. I mean, with the Halo, Final Fantasy and Cyberpunk cars, even the Hot Wheels ones, you can at least pretend they are replicas, but LEGOs? How do you explain those things working? Not just working, but competing with HYPERCARS?

There is something called having a "imagination", something most developers who make racing games lack entirely IMO. Heck, some people forget that PG is called "Playground Games" and therefore must make fun things to do in our open world adventure of Forza Horizon (aka the Playground).

Gotta spice things up a little while staying true to the genre, which is what I will always applaud PG for doing or attempting.

Last edited:
There is something called having a "imagination", something most developers who make racing games lack entirely IMO. Heck, some people forget that PG is called "Playground Games" and therefore must make fun things to do in our open world adventure of Forza Horizon (aka the Playground).

Gotta spice things up a little while staying true to the genre, which is what I will always applaud PG for doing or attempting.
Then they can export all those grinning Lightning McQueen cars to FM8 just to further hack off the srs bsns crowd.

white teeth troll GIF

Last edited:

There's a difference between having a fun sandbox and being a GTA Online clone. That is something FH4 is guilty of when Eliminator and Super7 were launched.

If FH5 continues leaning towards ridiculous modes like with EventLab, then questions need to be asked about the direction compared to the first 3 games.

There's a difference between having a fun sandbox and being a GTA Online clone. That is something FH4 is guilty of when Eliminator and Super7 were launched.

If FH5 continues leaning towards ridiculous modes like with EventLab, then questions need to be asked about the direction compared to the first 3 games.
FM4 had car bowling as I recall and that was supposed to be a serious sim (or semi-sim). How much evidence do we have so far that EventLab is going to lead to the total loss of the game's identity? We don't even know what it can do yet.

Unless firearms are introduced I think there'll be clear distance between Horizon and Grand Theft Auto for the foreseeable future. Right now you can't even get out of the car and walk around.

Last edited:
🤔There's a difference between having a fun sandbox and being a GTA Online clone. That is something FH4 is guilty of when Eliminator and Super7 were launched.

FM3 featured Tag mode, FH3 danger signs and Hot Wheels Addon. Those stupidly fun modes are parts of Forza DNA. As long as they aren't obligatory I don't see what's your problem with this

It never ends, does it.

So what do you want Playground to do? Remember that by this point, Forza Horizon as a series has a fair few amount of casual racing game players, who like and enjoy the game because it is realistic enough, but also puts fun first. You aren't going to keep them around by continually shoveling out cars and then the two expansions (which most people are going to be done with in less then a week, tops) and you need to retain players over a longer period. What do you suggest they do that will keep players around, while also trying to make things interesting over the two and a half year life span this game is expected to have?

So what if Eliminator and Super7 make FH4 look like a GTA Online clone? It works, and lets be real, gets more people interested in the game that might not be interested in racing games to begin with.

Some of these comments within mostly racing game focused spaces (and people) really seem to be applying Forza Horizon as a series that it isn't, and really just seem to want a hardcore cruising sim. Horizon isn't that, and it shouldn't be. You have LA Canyons in Assetto Corsa for that. And really, who cares about direction in a racing game that isn't a sim?

It never ends, does it.
Well, considering this is a public forum that I quite enjoy, hopefully it does indeed never end. Opposite opinions are fine so long as they are voiced properly, if you want an echo chamber this isn’t the place for you.
who cares about direction in a racing game that isn't a sim?
Direction is important no matter the genre. One of my bigger issues with Forza overall lately has been the lack of real direction as it seems both titles have been trying to please everybody. The fact both titles now seemingly have a clear direction is very good news to me.

PG/T10 has seemingly accepted that Horizon works better as an arcade title and as a result will hopefully implement those aspects better than what we’ve seen in the past couple titles.

and spicing things up means breaking consistency with the world the game is in? I don't see why making fun things in an open world has to mean putting cartoon cars in a world that has been grounded with some form of reality.

This is my only issue with these expansions, they just feel out of place with the world the game feels in place. Yes, they're not realistic games nor was that my argument ever. However, they have a realistic art direction with some believability with the festivals. Emphasis on "some". I enjoyed some of it, but I would've preferred if they were kept as their own separate entities.

So what do you want Playground to do? Remember that by this point, Forza Horizon as a series has a fair few amount of casual racing game players, who like and enjoy the game because it is realistic enough, but also puts fun first.
Once again, I don't get why fun and appealing to the casuals means you have to break the immersion. and yes, immersion can apply to arcade games aswell. Every video game in general has a world set in, that world has a defined art-style to give viewers an idea on what to expect. Putting lego cars on the grid with realistic-looking ones goes against that and leads me annoyed.

It's possible to have fun worlds built that could be somewhat believable in that game's world.

Some of these comments within mostly racing game focused spaces (and people) really seem to be applying Forza Horizon as a series that it isn't, and really just seem to want a hardcore cruising sim. Horizon isn't that, and it shouldn't be. You have LA Canyons in Assetto Corsa for that.
I personally am not looking for a hardcore cruising sim, I'm looking for an open-world racer with a realstic art direction across the board and some more grounded driving physics. Which Horizon has been good at aside from the wacky expansions given in the past 2 games.

Unfortunately your "just place AC and drive in the LA canyons" isn't a fair argument when AC is a few years old at this point with way less cars, and yes there's mods to fix that, but only PC users have access to those. Yes, I have AC on PC, but not everyone does or could play it on there if they wanted to. Not to mention that some people may want some of the sim experience in the open world, but still want it to feel arcady.

And really, who cares about direction in a racing game that isn't a sim?
Me. I would feel the same way if a more arcady game like Mario Kart decided to switch directions one day.

Last edited:
Well, considering this is a public forum that I quite enjoy, hopefully it does indeed never end. Opposite opinions are fine so long as they are voiced properly, if you want an echo chamber this isn’t the place for you.
I'm fine with differing opinions too - but like, the initial opinion makes no goddamn sense. What is it about Super7 and Eliminator that makes FH4 (and presumably, 5) more like GTA Online? What do you expect a racing game of Horizon's caliber and free-wheeling nature to add on after release that isn't just cars and the two expansions, that will keep people, most importantly those who aren't that interested in racing games in general outside of Horizon, playing the game?

I'm fine with differing opinions, but I'm not fine with them when they make no sense right off the hop, and more often then not seem to ignore that which what the developers intend with their games. Same things I saw with DiRT 5 in the lead up to that game's release on this very forum - people not being able to see the forest for the trees when Codies made it incredibly clear what they were intending to do with the game, and the DiRT franchise as a whole from this point forward.

Direction is important no matter the genre. One of my bigger issues with Forza overall lately has been the lack of real direction as it seems both titles have been trying to please everybody. The fact both titles now seemingly have a clear direction is very good news to me.
The issue is that the 'lack of direction' come from, since 3 really, the game throwing more and more events at you and not giving you a real obvious and meaningful climb to the top like FH1 did. That I can understand with regards to 'lack of direction', but when it comes to stuff like Eliminator and Super7? I don't really understand how 'lack of direction' comes into play, especially when, as I've stated before, this is pretty typical stuff for a developer who has a smash, interest spanning hit that absolutely needs to please everybody, in the Horizon front at least.

But again...what is Eliminator and Super7 doing that is causing FH4 to lack direction more then the lacking of direction it already had, and was pointed out pretty early on in the game's life?

The background graphics art style in Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit looks pretty realistic to me without breaking immersion. It's not like cartoon or toy vehicles are necessarily going to be the same as standards in GT6 with no choice to exclude them from races if EventLab works the way I think it's going to.

Horizon always felt like an anything goes series to me. Objecting to certain styles of vehicles on the basis that the art style will break immersion doesn't make sense in a racing game in which you can drop hundreds of feet without totalling the car and killing the driver. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
But again...what is Eliminator and Super7 doing that is causing FH4 to lack direction more then the lacking of direction it already had, and was pointed out pretty early on in the game's life?
It was added so late that it essentially made it a different game compared to when it launched. If you’re like me and took a longer break from it you left a typical Horizon game where it’s generally based in reality with some arcade elements thrown in and came back to a bunch of new features that don’t really seem to tie into the base game as you would expect.

You shouldn’t feel lost after returning to the game after setting the game aside for a bit. Hopefully this won’t be an issue as these elements will be in the game from day 1.

Last edited:
and spicing things up means breaking consistency with the world the game is in? I don't see why making fun things in an open world has to mean putting cartoon cars in a world that has been grounded with some form of reality.

This is my only issue with these expansions, they just feel out of place with the world the game feels in place. Yes, they're not realistic games nor was that my argument ever. However, they have a realistic art direction with some believability with the festivals. Emphasis on "some". I enjoyed some of it, but I would've preferred if they were kept as their own separate entities.
I know you already mentioned it, but it honestly needs to be said. Forza Horizon is an arcade racer and therefore, cars like lego and even hot wheels are bound to find there way into forza.

There is really nothing "out of place" about the lego cars people like to harp on. They were only exaggerating because the cars were 'different' and thus would "ruin" the experience of FH4, when in reality they were only adding flavor into the driving experience, hence my point about imagination. Imagine driving these life-sized toy cars that you otherwise couldn't in the real world. I like that kind of imagination, because it adds more fun into the experience that most are against of.

I think that is more consistent than Forza Horizon trying to play it safe and sticking to the same formula founded in FH1/2. Though I agree with @Northstar that FH does need a sense of direction, which is the festival, cars and music cultures. Thankfully, FH5 seems to be heading back to those directions again. Everything else however, is simply toppings on a cake.

A GTA Online clone? There is nothing wrong with adding more flavor into the experience that doesn't have to replicate GTA. And Super7 and the Eliminator? Those added more fun into the gaming experience for everyone, making the game more popular because of them. Heck, look at The Crew 2, it's literally doing the same thing with its Motorflix thingy; from ramming cars off screen to jumping off of skyscrapers. FH4 is not guilty of anything.

The EventLab is clearly going to be the most popular one because you get to create you're own modes with it! I'm not sure why Forza Horizon can't have this stuff if FH5 is going to be more social-based than before, while not forgetting people prefer playing offline.

I know you already mentioned it, but it honestly needs to be said. Forza Horizon is an arcade racer and therefore, cars like lego and even hot wheels are bound to find there way into forza.
I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Arcade game doesn't mean an automatic open invitation to have wacky cars to be included into Forza. Especially on the scale they were implemented. There's a range to the types of arcade games out there, there's ones more grounded to reality and one's less so. Forza Horizon was more grounded to a realistic style of arcade. It's not like mario kart of crash team racing where there's silly gadgets

There is really nothing "out of place" about the lego cars people like to harp on. They were only exaggerating because the cars were 'different' and thus would "ruin" the experience of FH4, when in reality they were only adding flavor into the driving experience, hence my point about imagination.
Um, yes there were. Nothing screams more "out of place" than seeing a Lego car appear in a grid of realistic-looking cars. and they kinda do ruin it to some degree. As I said before, they're immersion breaking, much like seeing PS2 cars appear in a PS3 game like in Gran Turismo 5 for instance. and before anyone says it, immersion exists in arcade games too. Every video game has a kind of immersion that can be broken when introducing something different.

Adding flavor to a racing game to keep things fresh can be good, but only if it's the right flavor. What PG did with those expansions was the in-game equivalent of pouring pickle juice in a milkshake. It doesn't turn out good.

I think that is more consistent than Forza Horizon trying to play it safe and sticking to the same formula founded in FH1/2.
How is that consistent? They're putting cartoon cars in a game centered around realistic cars? That's the very definition of inconsistent. Playing it safe with content would've been the more consistent option.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Arcade game doesn't mean an automatic open invitation to have wacky cars to be included into Forza. Especially on the scale they were implemented. There's a range to the types of arcade games out there, there's ones more grounded to reality and one's less so. Forza Horizon was more grounded to a realistic style of arcade. It's not like mario kart of crash team racing where there's silly gadgets
"Grounded in a realistic style", yet you can drive across the fields at high speed with literally any car you have, smash through signs and other destructible objects like trees, guardrails and cobblestone fences, rally any supercar and hypercar on dirt/mud, drive off cliffs on any part of the map, etc.

And somehow seeing one lego car among other cars is a big issue...
Um, yes there were. Nothing screams more "out of place" than seeing a Lego car appear in a grid of realistic-looking cars. and they kinda do ruin it to some degree. As I said before, they're immersion breaking, much like seeing PS2 cars appear in a PS3 game like in Gran Turismo 5 for instance. and before anyone says it, immersion exists in arcade games too. Every video game has a kind of immersion that can be broken when introducing something different.
And there lies your problem: because they're different and thus ruin the experience, or in you context, "immersion". IMO, nothing screams more "out of place" and "immersion breaking" than tossing your cars across some random field, or plowing through snow in your supercar without consequence. In FH1, you can throw your car across open areas, and smash through stuff. Yet a lego car among real cars is a problem?
Adding flavor to a racing game to keep things fresh can be good, but only if it's the right flavor. What PG did with those expansions was the in-game equivalent of pouring pickle juice in a milkshake. It doesn't turn out good.
That is an opinion. In my opinion, I don't mind PG trying new things if it works within Forza Horizon. Not Mario Kart fun, but fun to the driving experience.
How is that consistent? They're putting cartoon cars in a game centered around realistic cars? That's the very definition of inconsistent. Playing it safe with content would've been the more consistent option.
No. Playing it safe would be not to include different things. And if you want to include, "inconsistency", than what is Super7 which allows you to put random probs on the map?

"Grounded in a realistic style", yet you can drive across the fields at high speed with literally any car you have, smash through signs and other destructible objects like trees, guardrails and cobblestone fences, rally any supercar and hypercar on dirt/mud, drive off cliffs on any part of the map, etc.
Yes, "realistic style". As in Art Style and direction, not actual realism with driving mechanics.
So yes, the Lego car is an issue because it goes against that art style.
And there lies your problem: because they're different and thus ruin the experience, or in you context, "immersion". IMO, nothing screams more "out of place" and "immersion breaking" than tossing your cars across some random field, or plowing through snow in your supercar without consequence. In FH1, you can throw your car across open areas, and smash through stuff. Yet a lego car among real cars is a problem?
There's no problem I have other than you missing my point completely. As above, I'm looking at this game with a realistic look to the environment in the same vain as games like Test Drive Unlimited and Midnight Club. The immersion I'm talking about is the game's world, not how realistic the cars drive.
That is an opinion. In my opinion, I don't mind PG trying new things if it works within Forza Horizon. Not Mario Kart fun, but fun to the driving experience.
Yup, sure is an opinion. and I'm expressing that my fun is spoiled when cartoony cars are clashing with my realistic looking ones.

than what is Super7 which allows you to put random probs on the map?
Content I have no problem with, because it doesn't clash with the world present. It's easy to see it as part of the craziness of a Horizon festival. Lifesize lego cars controlled by lego people are not.

Last edited:
Yes, "realistic style". As in Art Style and direction, not actual realism with driving mechanics.
So yes, the Lego car is an issue because it goes against that art style.
Than you should really include "art style" instead of "realistic style", because that could mean a lot of different things which led to my confusion.

Again, I'm not entirely sure how any lego car would interfere with said art style if it's not effecting the game's style itself. They are simply cars but life-sized toy figures akin to the hot wheels in game.
There's no problem I have other than you missing my point completely. As above, I'm looking at this game with a realistic look to the environment in the same vain as games like Test Drive Unlimited and Midnight Club. The immersion I'm talking about is the game's world, not how realistic the cars drive.

Yup, sure is an opinion. and I'm expressing that my fun is spoiled when cartoony cars are clashing with my realistic looking ones.
Then I really can't help you with that if that is what you're looking for. It's not like everyone drives them in game for you to see them. The only suggestion I can give you is simply creating your own events and delist the lego cars if they bother you so much, unless this is online by players?
Content I have no problem with, because it doesn't clash with the world present. It's easy to see it as part of the craziness of a Horizon festival. Lifesize lego cars controlled by lego people are not.
Than I guess we can call a spade a spade and leave it at that I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
To each their own, I personal started liking FH when I saw them do the hot wheels tracks/cars and legos an extension of that. Maybe its just pulling on my nostalgia but that is where the draw is for me. And as good as 5 is looking whats most interesting to me is the editor and the things people will create.

72RT0X1.png

I love this is in real life so of course I'd love it in a game thats drivable

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back