Forza Motorsport 3

• Thread starter RedOak
  • 3,944 comments
Well they're making a lot of 'casual friendly' features in Forza 3, like time rewind, automatic breaking. So of course the specs of the cars are given as ratings.

GT5 has more detailed car models than Forza. But the environments in Forza look FANTASTIC.

Then again, GT5P runs at 1080p. Forza 3, runs at 720p. Can you imagine how good it would look if it ran at 720p instead? They could put so much more graphical detail in the game to be honest.

Kaz really is an idiot if he doesn't show GT5 with damage tomorrow. Seriously.

FM3 is really kicking GT5's butt.

I can't expect even 90% of the people here to have a fair opinion of the game, it could be the best driving game ever but people here would say GT is better.
Then you can listen to me. I bought a 360 Elite rig before a PS3 in order to play Forza 2, to the tune of more than $750 US, because I trusted Ms to make a quality system after all the disastrous failures of the previous 360s. But no, the hand controller was bad out of the box. The crappy Ms wheel broke after seven weeks, the 360 "leet" died a week later.

Forza 2 was fun, but then the bugs bit me.
  • The livery editor was buggy, and the layers shift after every race. And if you buy a car with a locked livery, all you can do is watch the paint job shift into mush.
  • The garage holds only so many cars. Scroll through the garage, and the 360 crashes. Ms's answer? "Don't scroll." Gah...
  • Spend too much time scrolling through the Auction House, assuming you bought Live Gold, and it will crash the 360. And a crash in the Auction House can result in a permaban, which is a hassle to get removed.
  • Same old 8 car races, less content and gameplay than FM1...
  • Etc.
Eventually I got tired of the usual Ms bug-itis and quit after eleven months. I went back to GT4, and after getting dialled back in, took it to the Nurburgring, the REAL Nurburgring, not that fake track in the Forzas. Bumps, narrow lanes, fear! It was awesome. As many cars in my garage as I want, as many replays as I want, and better replays, actually fun to watch. A great Photo Mode. Better car models. I think it's funny that an old PS2 game could hold its own against the best 360 racer around. After more than a year, I've barely touched the 360, and haven't raced in Forza 2 since November '07.

Eight cars on the track isn't bothersome either.
Wow... that's you, bro. Yuck. I know Prologue online is pretty thin, and some online races are limited to eight cars, but that's not the ONLY limit.

I'll buy Forza 3 just as long as they don't get rid of what made the first two Forza's awesome, the fact that I can take a stock econobox or sport compact and turn it into a weekend racer. I find the GT series focuses more on actual racecars over road cars, which really isn't all that interesting to me. I don't want to race Le Mans or JGTC cars, I want to race a slightly tuned Civic 3-door hatchbacks and the like.
Yeah, Gran Turismo has never let you tune street cars... ;)

I'm not liking what I'm hearing so far. It sounds like Dan Greenawalt is talking out of his hip pocket, as usual. And if it does handle like GRID, this game is going to seriously blow. A Forza 3 that's like what Forza 2 should have been is okay, but I'm not seeing much to divert my attention from even Prologue. Seriously disappointed in this news.

Last edited:
Ah, you already had a special preview of GT5?

:rolleyes:
No but there is more info about FM3 than the full GT5, so therefor it has the uperhand by default.

Also about the graphics, of course he will say they are the best. That is what companies do, they inflate the truth. I have ate at probably a hundred restaurants that all supposedly have "The Best Burgers Ever". It's all marketing, not everyone is a fanboy and will go hunting to show something isn't as great as they say.

All I care about is having fun, I don't care what one is better. I don't care what system it is on and I sure as hell don't care who makes it as long as it's good.

Then you can listen to me. I bought a 360 Elite rig before a PS3 in order to play Forza 2, to the tune of more than $750 US, because I trusted Ms to make a quality system after all the disastrous failures of the previous 360s. But no, the hand controller was bad out of the box. The crappy Ms wheel broke after seven weeks, the 360 "leet" died a week later.

And I've been through numerous PS3's because they keep dying on me. What's your point? Based on many of your other posts I've seen I don't think I can really say you are fair and balanced on the whole GT v. Forza debate. Based on what you are showing me, you are coming across as a thinly disguised Sony fanboy.

The livery editor was buggy, and the layers shift after every race. And if you buy a car with a locked livery, all you can do is watch the paint job shift into mush.

Guess what? It had a livery editor, and a good one at that. Sure not as good as a PC editor but what are you to expect without the aid of photoshop? Although people exploited that somehow.

The garage holds only so many cars. Scroll through the garage, and the 360 crashes. Ms's answer? "Don't scroll." Gah...
[*]Spend too much time scrolling through the Auction House, assuming you bought Live Gold, and it will crash the 360. And a crash in the Auction House can result in a permaban, which is a hassle to get removed.

I never, ever had an issue with it and I still play Forza today. I have numerous cars in my garage although I don't go into the auction house that much. Also everyone who I know with the game, and still have a race with on occasion, hasn't had an issue with it either.

Same old 8 car races, less content and gameplay than FM1...

Less content yet, but the game played much better in my opinion. It didn't really bother me all that much. The one thing that did bother me was that we were promised a bunch of DLC which never came. That was fairly weak.

Eventually I got tired of the usual Ms bug-itis and quit after eleven months. I went back to GT4, and after getting dialled back in, took it to the Nurburgring, the REAL Nurburgring, not that fake track in the Forzas. Bumps, narrow lanes, fear! It was awesome. As many cars in my garage as I want, as many replays as I want, and better replays, actually fun to watch. A better Photo Mode. Better car models. I think it's funny that an old PS2 game could hold its own against the best 360 racer around. After more than a year, I've barely touched the 360, and haven't raced in Forza 2 since November '07.

I didn't say Forza was a better game in all aspects, I said it was more entertaining to play and offered more replay value.

I haven't raced GT4 since I bought a PS3 two years ago. Mainly because the game bugged out when I tried to play it on the PS3 and lost interest. However, like your statement it adds nothing to the discussion on Forza 3.

Wow... that's you, bro. Yuck. I know Prologue online is pretty thin, and some online races are limited to eight cars, but that's not the ONLY limit.

I'm not your brother as far as I know.

I don't see the point of a bunch of cars to be honest. You can have just as interesting of a race battling 7 other cars over 17 other cars. The GT series for the most part only offer a couple cars that can hang with you anyway while you are in the lead based on my racing experience.

I have no interest to race online either, because pretty much everyone is either way to serious about the whole thing or they are all idiots. There is nothing fun about that. Sure I'll have a couple races with some buddies from time to time but it just ends up becoming a hoonage fest which is fun.

Yeah, Gran Turismo has never let you tune street cars... ;)

Uh they haven't. Basically you click on some icons and you assume something happens to your car because some numbers pop up. In Forza, when you add a part you can see a transformation. Tires change, brakes change, aero change, etc. Sure it's not perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement but at least it does it.

I want to turn a stock car into a weekend racer, I lost the ability to sort of do that after GT2 and the lose of racing mods. It appears there might be a resurgence of something similar in GT5, but I don't know. Also like I said, GT seems to focus heavily on the use of racecars, which many people like. I however don't. I want to build my own racecar.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing so far. It sounds like Dan Greenawalt is talking out of his hip pocket, as usual. And if it does handle like GRID, this game is going to seriously blow. A Forza 3 that's like what Forza 2 should have been is okay, but I'm not seeing much to divert my attention from even Prologue. Seriously disappointed in this news.

And this is exactly what I am talking about. You have heard what? A small bit of information, a small trailer, and a couple screenshots and you have already deemed it a disappointment. That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I agree with you Joey D. I think one of the funnest thing to do in Forza 2 was to take a car and turn it into a full blown race car and than racing it against it's race car counterpart.(I had a lot of fun doing this).

Another thing about Forza is the community. There is basically a group for everyone.
Drag Racing (even though there isn't a track)
Drift
Fanatasy Liveries
Photo Mode
Race Replica Liveries
Racing Leagues
Tuners (My group)

It also is heavily supported by the developers with prize cars for competitions. Something PD has yet to do.

I'm pretty excited about this, it looks pretty good to me. The level of detail on the track looked awesome.

Just because they are adding a few arcadish features doesn't mean much yet, it just means they are trying to include features to entice the average person, no just the sim racer. As long as you can turn all that stuff off and the physics are good, that's all I care about.

However... I wont be buying this game unless by some miracle it supports the G25 wheel. I've spent too much money and time on racing already and I'm not going to buy a new wheel unless its massively more awesome than the G25, and I'm not going to play a racing sim without a wheel.

If they make the G25 compatible with Forza 3, I'll be the first person in the queue to buy it when it comes out, along with an xbox 360 since I dont have one yet :P

And I've been through numerous PS3's because they keep dying on me. What's your point? Based on many of your other posts I've seen I don't think I can really say you are fair and balanced on the whole GT v. Forza debate. Based on what you are showing me, you are coming across as a thinly disguised Sony fanboy.
And you are? Very opinionated. I guess I don't have the same right you do. ;)

And see, this is the problem. Everything you've said is an opinion based on emotional response rather than discreet fact. Meanwhile, everything I've said is factual. Ms really did/does have an excessive failure rate on its 360 technology which they are covering up. They really are ripping off the consumer, and were undoubtedly facing a huge legaldebackle when they announced not one but two huge, BILLION dollar funded warranty increases. Retroactive. And by golly, yet another one late last year or early this. Meanwhile, a few people have had bad luck with runs of PS3 consoles, just like they do with the Wii. Just like Seagate hard drives, and prior to that, it was Western Digital. Am I going to hate on hard drives now?

The 360 is buggy. Forza 2 is buggy. Okay, to some people this isn't a huge deal, that a game and its system isn't too reliable. Or that you have to buy proprietary hardware, unlike a Playstation with a Logitech wheel. But to me, honesty does matter. Having a game and system that works as advertised does matter. When I'm painting a car and put a hella lotta work into it, to find out it's all gone because my 360 crashed faking matters. These are opinions too, but I'd hardly call it just another viewpoint.

And this is exactly what I am talking about. You have heard what? A small bit of information, a small trailer, and a couple screenshots and you have already deemed it a disappointment. That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
When supposedly Forza 2 was going to be a huge leap over FM1 with all kinda features, yeah, when they basically scrap all that within a few months, that's disappointing. When Turn 10 blabs all over their boards that they're doing an engine from scratchand to expect huge improvements, and then you end up mostly with a bunch of new tracks, a movie editor and possibly new bugs to crawl in your shorts, yeah, that's disappointing. I'm in agreement with a few other people who say the 360 is about tapped out of resources.

Yes, those are opinions as well. But it's rather like the people who are irritated at Eutechnyx for producing a Supercar Challenge which is basically Ferrari Challenge with what looks like a small DLC pack included and some tweaks.

Forza 3 is probably going to be a fun game and worth about $60. But is it something to cheer about as some awesome big jump over FM2, and putting any other racer to shame? Not hardly.

I mean, is it out of bounds to criticize a video which looks like it's from Test Drive Underground?

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited about this, it looks pretty good to me. The level of detail on the track looked awesome.

Just because they are adding a few arcadish features doesn't mean much yet, it just means they are trying to include features to entice the average person, no just the sim racer. As long as you can turn all that stuff off and the physics are good, that's all I care about.

However... I wont be buying this game unless by some miracle it supports the G25 wheel. I've spent too much money and time on racing already and I'm not going to buy a new wheel unless its massively more awesome than the G25, and I'm not going to play a racing sim without a wheel.

If they make the G25 compatible with Forza 3, I'll be the first person in the queue to buy it when it comes out, along with an xbox 360 since I dont have one yet :P

They have a better wheel, The 911. You can get it for the PS3 as well though so......But still they now have a great wheel option on the xbox 360 that is better then the G25.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft said they weren't allowing the G25 to work with the 360 for whatever reason. I suspect it's to force everyone to buy the same stuff for the console. While it makes development easier it stifles the consumers choices. Whatever the case though the 360 wheel is disappointing although I haven't really played around with it much. Forza plays just fine with a controller though.

They have a better wheel, The 911. You can get it for the PS3 as well though so......But still they now have a great wheel option on the xbox 360 that is better then the G25.

I didn't think it worked for the 360?

**Edit: Guess I was wrong: http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/2008...rsche-911-turbo-s-racing-wheels-for-xbox-360/

Perhaps my post was a bit unclear. I already own a G25, which is why I said I'm not buying a new wheel unless its massively better than the G25. The porsche wheel, from reviews I've read, is about on par with the G25. I'm not spending that much money to buy a new wheel that's "on par" with my G25.

I'll spend the $500 to buy an xbox 360 and Forza 3, not gonna spend close to $1000 to get an xbox 360, forza 3 AND a wheel which is on par with my current one.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft said they weren't allowing the G25 to work with the 360 for whatever reason. I suspect it's to force everyone to buy the same stuff for the console. While it makes development easier it stifles the consumers choices. Whatever the case though the 360 wheel is disappointing although I haven't really played around with it much. Forza plays just fine with a controller though.

It doesn't make development easier, the game just has to output some signals and the wheel picks them up. Logitech just has to make a driver that puts that signal into something that the G25 can read.

I have heard reasons why its not compatible, and the main thing it comes down to in the end is M$ haven't given logitech permission to make it work.

A decent wheel is a big piece of hardware, good ones cost almost as much as the consoles themselves. There's no way I'm playing with a controller... I played forza 1 for about a week with a controller before buying a wheel and have never gone back.

I am a Gran Turismo guy but even I can see Forza has done a pretty good job.

No the visuals don't look as good, there is only 8 cars at a time and I don't like the silly claims (lies) MS/Turn 10 guys have made...but IMO they have added something really important... Tyre deformation, even if it is visual (not actually taken in account by the physics engine) it looks fantastic especially for photomode. I hope Gran Turismo does the same.

The flipping of cars and damage shown in the E3 presentation is also impressive, kudos for that.

Also hats off for also going interior view, truely now interior cam is a standard which years ago was something I dreamed of.

Next we are to see what PD has done.

And it goes on...

Microsoft had a rough patch with the initial 360 releases, so what? When was the last time you read such a commotion about 360's that have suffered RROD? Your system RROD'd, you call up customer support, RMA your now dead console and get it repaired or replaced in an allotted timeslot...more often than not, problem solved.

If you really want to pick at problems, no matter how trivial, why not pick at the PS3's backward compatibility and the lack thereof. A 20GB model of the PS3, know what, let's not even delve back into such specifics...how about the simple notion of Sony basically saying if you want to play PS2 games, and you don't own one of the PS3's that have either hardware or software emulation...then buy a PS2. I've never once had a problem with my PS3 other than that BS update that bricked the console or froze whenever I attempted to access the XMB every now and again. I've been through two 360's; RROD's were a problem...get over it. Out of the both of them, I find myself having a harder time accepting the PS3 as much as I have the PS2, because it seems every other odd decision Sony makes in some way or another diminishes any time I'd even want to spend turning the damned thing on.

If that's not a focus of shooting yourself in the foot, then by life, I have no idea what is.

I've already stated somewhere earlier that when I played Forza, I became bored with it mid level 30's because of various reasons. 3 (hopefully) looks to address the problems I had with the game, and all of the models look like they've been remodeled specifically for FM3. I'm quite looking forward to it, hopefully the third kills the trend and hopefully GT5 can go right along with it.

If not, I'll just be all the more happier with FM 3.

The only thing that irked me was this wonky trailer...

I understand it shows off the video editing stuff in-game, but its not a selling point for me. I'm looking to have fun, but also have a great level of challenge in-game and online. That's what FM1 and FM2 has done from the beginning, and this will continue that process. As I've said before, even if it only delivers 90% of GT5... I'll still be a happy camper. Yes, its not as "serious" as GT5, but that's what makes it so much fun.

Last edited:
I am excited about FM3 but still no Weather Effects and Day night cycles that KAZ promises to bring to GT5. But I will buy it, and enjoy it until GT5 comes out and beyond.

The video with all the cars drifting reminded me of OutRun. Don't get me wrong, I love OutRun, but that's not the way a simulation racer should be marketed.

Also, what's this about Forza 3 being "the greatest looking racing game of this generation?" I guess nobody at Turn 10 has seen DiRT 2 yet.

Having said that, I'll still end up pre-ordering Forza 3. The last one wasn't bad, and I need something to hold me off until GT5 releases, if and when that ever happens.

That stunts trailer was a CGI one done to explain the kind of videos people end up doing with the game. It's not representative of any handling or graphics of the real game!

That stunts trailer was a CGI one done to explain the kind of videos people end up doing with the game. It's not representative of any handling or graphics of the real game!

Yeah, they only wanted to throw in something quick..

It's funny it only took them 2 years to complete Forza 3. I really hope its good. FM1 to FM2 took two years, and FM2 did not feel that different to first game, they better don't F-It up.

Yeah, they only wanted to throw in something quick..

It's funny it only took them 2 years to complete Forza 3. I really hope its good. FM1 to FM2 took two years, and FM2 did not feel that different to first game, they better don't F-It up.

Well chances are they just took the F2 engine and built up on that. That is at least what I think PD has done with 1>2 and 3>4 to save time and money.

According to the Presser today, FM3 is running on an entirely new engine - a good move on their behalf.

Some pictures from Kotaku:

thumb800x800_3586458453_4cd219114e_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3586458367_26ce960555_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3587265906_d3aba391a7_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3587265738_464b80f5ee_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3586457909_4fd6b0920d_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3587265422_49948f215f_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3586457637_114e8592a3_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3586457507_2bd5cbee3e_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3587265070_839fc3e11e_o.jpg

thumb800x800_3586457275_734d5d8c91_o.jpg

The new Turn 10-created tracks look like a lot of fun. Not to mention pretty.

I never, ever had an issue with it and I still play Forza today. I have numerous cars in my garage although I don't go into the auction house that much. Also everyone who I know with the game, and still have a race with on occasion, hasn't had an issue with it either.

Absolutely. I have painted hundreds of cars, and have more than I can count in my garage. Never had a problem with paint shifting. Never had a problem with the 360 freezing (Yes I have an Elite). Never had any issue with my 360 Elite, nor Forza 2. I have always wondered what everyone was on about. Guess I'm just lucky.

If Forza 3 was exactly like Forza 2, only with more tracks, cars, and tuning options, I would still be stoked to pick it up. It's no GT, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's different, and that's what the world needs. We already have GT games to enjoy. Variety is the spice of life.

;)

Yeah on the live show E3 they say new CAR models, with more x times the pixels compared to 2nd game.

I am still excited to pick it up and play it, but bad thing, both GT5 and FM3 is not coming out next week :indiff:

Looks good, except some of the road textures look kind of weak in some pictures. I'm tempted to get this but I don't have a wheel for my Xbox360. I have a G25 already and don't want to spend money and room for another wheel.

*sigh* Looks like it would be really good to hold me off until GT5. Hopefully NFS Shift turns out good.

They rolled the damn car! Good luck GT anything less and you fail.

Who will have weather? Who will have night racing? If GT has damage and has weather and night racing rolling of the car can be over looked, But anything less and they fail. The ability to roll the car opens up the physics alot.
Too bad that was all CGI.

I'll be right now that the roll damage all follows the same basic outline like the cars in FM2 did when they had a major accident.
No but there is more info about FM3 than the full GT5, so therefor it has the uperhand by default.
What exactly has been released that's more than GT?

The only new things I've seen is a release date, the new graphics, new tracks, & new cars. What else is there that hasn't been released by GT?

It's not quite as visually attractive as GT5, but that IS a ZR1 in there!:drool:

If Forza 3 was exactly like Forza 2, only with more tracks, cars, and tuning options, I would still be stoked to pick it up. It's no GT, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's different, and that's what the world needs. We already have GT games to enjoy. Variety is the spice of life.
;)

+1

Inclusion of interior is something I really appreciate and even it have to played with lame X360 FF support I can already predict many hours into FM3.

Turn10 did a great job, Che already confimed that physisc has gone even more hardcore compared to FM" - physics shown on stage is obviously from the arcade mode, while they even incluede "one button driving mode" for unexpirienced players - and I'm really looking forward to it.

Not to mention that I hope they ditched all those "snake" tracks in the snakepit forever :)

Back