Forza Motorsport 7: Demo Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 426 comments
So my early impressions are as follows,

The Sound on the GTR has been rectified and now sounds like the 4 cylinder turbo GT500 cars run, has some turbo lag low down in the rpm's and hits like a freight train when it comes on. :drool:

Liking the new interface which loads the track, but still allows you to change gear, assists and difficulty while loading(I imagine this will include tuning in full release).

Visuals are good step up and it's some very nice eye candy to boot.

Wasn't keen on the camera shaking about on Simulation camera blur, but its all adjustable so no biggie there.

It'll take some time to make the adjustments needed for my driving style, but it's still familiar to what i'm used to.

And it's good to see everyone's favourite AI driver return again, M. Rossi. :D

And in one heck of a twist, our sparring rival throughout the previous Forza's is in fact a women, well played T10. :lol:👍

Overall IMO, things are shaping up for it to be damn good and it's only just beginning. ;)

Please, more wheel/FFB impressions! ☺

Basically ignore anyone saying it’s awful. It’s a huge improvement over Forza 5 and 6. There’s more weight and “tightness” to the feel of the FFB and a lot more options to tweak diffeeent aspects of the ffb feel.

Overall the demo is enjoyable. The sounds are fantastic as others have touched on, much more immersive in particular inside the cars. The new dash cam is also very nice to play from and actually helps the immersion with a wheel by finally getting rid of that horrible 90 degree steering animation.

The star of the show is the graphics and presentation. With HDR compatibility on your TV the Nurburgring race is a whole different world of vivid colours and beauty.

Waste of a Download for me.
Its the 3 months old demo.

Steering is basically the same.
People with Pads will dominate as always.

In the article picture it still also is a 458 GTE - Turn10 is lacking so bad when it comes to modern race cars that they may go the path of GT sooner or later

Waste of a Download for me.
Its the 3 months old demo.

Steering is basically the same.
People with Pads will dominate as always.

In the article picture it still also is a 458 GTE - Turn10 is lacking so bad when it comes to modern race cars that they may go the path of GT sooner or later

Believe me , handling is the last thing that Turn 10 should fix in Forza . For example , they should give the freedom to create custom championship with a points system to begin with . I don't follow Forza news lately so i don't know if they added these features . Oh , and there are still not practice and qualifying sessions .

Well, I can definitely say that the sounds and lighting have been given significant improvements over FM6. I also kinda like the menu music more this time round. Cars feel like they might be more challenging to drive than in the previous game if I'm going off memory. The dynamic weather is a cool change and I love how the skies look between transitions; especially on the Nurburgring GP course.

When playing on Average difficulty, the AI seem way too hesitant in the corners and not too bright. I crashed in one race on the Dubai track and cars continued to smash into me rather than trying to drive around me.

The Dubai race was the least impressive for me. Once I turned camera shake to normal the Mugello and Nurb GP races were really enjoyable. Preorder not cancelled.

Played in 4K on a non HDR TV.

I got a 2:37:601 in the Porsche. Pro Ai no assists.
KKk7WqO.jpg

Beat that suckers :D

Looks like an invalid lap. Shouldn't be too hard to beat that. :P

Is it just me or does the Porsche GT2 RS feel like it only has 2 degrees of steering lock? Everything else felt great with all the assists turned off with a PS4 controller.

Pro:
+ Seems well optimized for a seemingly old build.
+ Looks nice, not breathtaking, but good for the amount of content etc.
+ Sound is good for the amount of different cars.
+ Lots of options regarding HUD etc.
+ The Trucks proof that the variety is nice.

Contra:
- Simulation steering on gamepad is still nonsense.
- While you can freely adjust the deadzones, there is not a single option for the gamepad filtering, sensitivity, speed sensitivity and so on.
- The Porsche, so I guess all road cars, understeers like hell in slow corners. The whole race feels extremely off.
- The damage is not severe enough. I rammed an Aston Martin GT pretty heavily in the Nissan, the game told me I had aero and brake damage, but I didn't feel it at all and still passed 5 cars at half a lap.
- The Nissan driving on pace with GT3 cars is laughable. A current GT500 car can compete with LMPs.

Overall I find the demo a bit underwhelming. Not even a restart option, no settings in the pause menu, aside from driving aids and 22 GB for the amount of playable content is immense.

EDIT:
Is it just me or does the Porsche GT2 RS feel like it only has 2 degrees of steering lock? Everything else felt great with all the assists turned off with a PS4 controller.
Yeah, the steering lock on the Porsche is complete crap.

Pros:

- Steering wheel (I have a G920) feels more solid, more weight to it. So far I think it's a sizeable improvement over FM6, but I need to drive more cars to be sure.
- Cockpit cam with no wheel!
- Sounds are greatly improved, inside the car. Engines sound appears to be better.
- Graphics look really nice, skies look awesome (same a FH 3?), even on my standard XBOX ONE on 1080p/60fps.
- Mugello, which is an absolutely awesome track.
- Suzuka (yeah I know not in the demo but still).

Cons:

- Only 3 track/car combinations....
- Not a lot of options, for instance restart a race.
- No replays....
- Porsche GT2 RS (as mentioned by others) not my favorite in terms of handling, understeer, sudden oversteer. This might also be just me and with some tuning/setup it may be fine in the final game.
- Dubai track, I honestly don't care for fantasy tracks, so that might be it. Same as I have never been a fan of the Brasil track introduced with FM6.
- Dubai track, got absolutely slammed off the track in the opening lap a few times, when going into the first corner.

Overall:

Very positive and I cannot wait unit the 29th!!

I like new physics. Car handling is more interesting now than forza6. I like graphics and new presentation. Wheel feels better this time, but not with that Porsche - Dubai race. I have a feeling that something is broken with this Porsche, massive understeer, it is almost undrivable. Also, the image somehow looks to dark, even in daytime race. Something similar was in gt6.

PC performance not stable. Not as bad as FH3 at launch, but far from perfect.

I gotta say the interior sound of that GTR did surprise me, it was really good. And I did like that the weather was dynamic, I waited at the start and watched it pass by, really cool. Definite buy being that I have owned all FM titles, but I just might settle for the standard digital version this time around.

Very underwhelmed. The game stutters from the menu screen right to the actual racing. The FFB is awful, at least on my Forza CSR. There is no engine rumble/vibration when the gas is applied. It doesn't do much to shake my Buttkickers either. It feels very disconnected from the road. The Porsche is a straight up terrible understeery mess. Forza would do itself a favor if it had a factory preset in the assist settings. And no option to restart from your current race? C'mon, having to back all the way out to the main menu is a pita. The graphics are nice, but the gameplay and stutter kill the buzz. No pre order for me, I'll wait for reviews on this one.

As soon as the results table shows up post-race the game immediately shifts from 60fps to 30fps without changing camera view; it's quite jarring if you're the type of player who can usually tell the difference.
Oh, that's why it feels horrible on my PC after the races. Goog to know it's not my CPU or GPU struggling.

The second accolade icon on the top row of the "Best Racing Game" screen is tilted, and now you can't unsee it :mischievous:
What i can't unsee, sadly, is my time spent in Assetto Corsa in VR. I didn't play it for a couple of weeks, and refrained to do it this last week-end to soften the return in non-VR world with Forza. I'm playing Forza 7 in 4K (very close from a 40" monitor), but my immersion is almost non existent. I hope i'll get used to it in the end (my hope is that when i first played the first Forza Horizon on a technological ageing Xbox 360 compared to PC, it didn't look good at first, but looks great after a day or two).

A few things that I've taken away from the demo;

- I missed Mugello even more than I thought I did, it's such a blast to drive around it.
- I love the dash cam or whatever the technical name for it is. I've never been huge on cockpit view as I hate seeing an extra pair of arms, so the zoomed in cockpit view is great and presuming it's in the full game will be my primary view.
- They seemed to have toned down the puddles compared to FM6. I found driving in the rain to be rather enjoyable compared to FM6 where I found it aggravating.

Now for the bad...

- Dubai sucks, it's a boring layout that feels pretty much the same as the last 3 fantasy tracks, and what is up with T10 and confetti? :odd:
- The Porsche handles terribly, hoping that it can be fixed with a decent tune.
- The menu music is terribly, granted one of the first things I do in pretty much every racing game is turn off menu music so this isn't a big deal.

I can tell you the PC demo doesn't work with the TX Thrustmaster and the T3PA pedals. I would make it work once and than it would stop working. The brake would be inverted with the gas and the clutch or it would trigger the menu non stop. I did 1 hour of troubleshooting before giving up

My added thoughts:
- I liked that this demo actually allows you to choose different cars without having to do a silly introduction race unlike the FM6 demo. You're given a type a car to go along different tracks and that's it.
- It was nice to see additional camera options added to FM7 over FM6.
- I loved being able to race on Mugello in a Forza title again, I can't wait to try the track with different cars though. Racing trucks aren't exactly my cup of tea.
- When I tried that new chase camera option on my first race, I immediately turned it off afterwards. A shaky camera distracts me too much when I'm driving.

Seems to work fine with my TX, T3PA pedals, and TH8A shifter. I'm saying it works... not liking the feel though. Cars don't react or feel like a decent sim.

You actually need the Creators Update for this. I am not happy... I guess I have no choice but to install that virus if I even want to play FM7.

Very mixed reviews, especially from wheel users. Last Forza I played was 4. I'm very interested to see how this will compare. Almost done downloading the demo now.

I finally put in a little time with the demo for Xbox One. I was expecting the worst though, and what I felt... was not the worst. It feels a little better than FM6. I can work with it. But it's a cruel joke we've been in the 900 degree steering/force feedback era since FM3 and it's only gotten incrementally better. Self-aligning torque is still way off, and it's still canned in some situations. On-center feel still sucks. It still feels disconnected, like I'm driving via middleware rather than having the physics truly dictate what the wheels are doing and running that through a steering rack. I guess all the talk about improved wheel support is less about the force feedback and more about supporting a wider range of peripherals. More folks can enjoy Turn 10's half measures, I guess.

It's not all bad. It looks and sounds great and runs smoothly. The dynamic weather is a treat. I hope it's truly dynamic and not simply a canned routine though. Also, the new cockpit view is a lovely surprise. I'm not sure whether I'll use the new cockpit view or the bonnet cam, but the fact I'm even considering cockpit view in Forza is huge.

Overall it's still a buy for me mainly because I love the breadth of content and I've come to terms with Forza's force feedback learning curve several versions back. I guess I was hoping the PC release would've pushed Turn 10 to really rethink their force feedback though.

tell me what you have done because it doesn't work for me at all
Nothing special. I chose Thrustmaster TX to start then assigned a few buttons. I only had my wheel and shifter connected, not my game pad - not sure that would matter.

Edit, driving the truck was actually more enjoyable than the Porsche.

Nothing special. I chose Thrustmaster TX to start then assigned a few buttons. I only had my wheel and shifter connected, not my game pad - not sure that would matter.

Edit, driving the truck was actually more enjoyable than the Porsche.

The clutch and the gas keeps getting inverted no matter what button mapping I do. this is so frustrating

Note : found the issue. I am idiot

Last edited:
Hey guys, first post here.

Some quick impressions...

Playing with a Thrustmaster T150, Intel i7 3770, 8GB DDR3, Nvidia 980TI. Performance is incredible. I didnt even try the benchmark tool however I Maxed out the graphics with 4xMSAA and it runs flawlessly and look's incredible. The sounds is really nice too. Really happy about that especially after the mess that was Horizon 3 on PC. Took them almost a year to fix it.

Some people don't like the Menu music, it didn't really bother me and you can turn it off if you want to so that's not a big deal to me. Overall the menu is quite nice and look pretty good so far. I like the fact that you can change some settings while the game is loading, kind of like F1 2017.

At first even if I disabled the Cockpit Shaky Cam it wouldn't turn off and I had to restart the game to turn it off. but wow what a terrible setting. It's way overdone and makes it impossible to concentrate on the track. Same with HUD movement, it just distracted me too much, glad we can turn both of them off.

About FFB and wheel settings. FFB seems strong enough but you'll have to mess around quite a bit to find a nice balance between settings cause the default one is pretty bad. There's plenty of sliders to mess around with which is great however you have to exit a race and go back to the main menu to change the settings. Seriously!? Hopefully you will be able to change the settings while racing in the Final game. It just make the whole process really tedious as it is now...

As mentioned before the Porsche is atrocious. It understeer like crazy and almost impossible to control. The Nissan is much better and surprisingly the Truck was my favorite one to drive.

AI doesnt seems to care about you at all. Lots of bumping around going on which is a shame....

I'm honestly still excited about the game despite some of it's early flaws. It's quite clear that Microsoft isn't specifically aiming at the Sim community but more of a broader range to try to please everyone. I'm just happy they finally decided to bring Forza to PC with Wheel support tbh.

I finally got around to the truck race, and was having a great time with it until the frame rate tanked and the game decided it wanted to randomly pause for no apparent reason. What in the actual hell T10? I know my rig isn't state of the art (i5 4690K, 970SLI, 16gb ram), but it should be able to run this at 1080p/60 without issues right?

Back