Forza Motorsport 7: General Pre-Release Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,837 comments

What's the dominant sound in the first 45 seconds of this video? The car may be at idle but I'd much rather listen to that than the noisy rotor blades and race day crowds. Full throttle action may be a different story, but that's not necessarily the rule when cruising around enjoying the cars in a solo session. To that you can add the visible presence of helicopters in almost every track sector (look at 1:00 mark and under the bridge at 3:20). I don't know how many times I have seen the exact same thing. It gets tiresome just like the fixed sunlight glares. Aren't those one of the reasons why we want dynamic time and weather after all?

To be honest, I just had to raise my computer speaker 100% more than what I set it at usually, just to hear it. So it seems the only time you're going to be hearing it is when you're completely still, with nothing else around you. At this point, it kind of does seem like an odd thing to complain about and not necessarily distracting from the main game at all. Sure it is definitely an issue to you, but this is really pulling it to be honest. If anything, they should just add a volume slider for track side/ambient noises, that'll make everyone happy.

Getting rid of the sun glare never, ever came to mind when thinking of reasons of why I'd like to have Dynamic TOD and weather added. Either way, all it's going to do is move the glare, not get rid of it.

@PJTierney I know you'll be happy about this one

https://ar12gaming.com/articles/forza-7-adjudication

Forza 7 to feature an adjudication system!

Forza Motorsport 7 will implement an Adjudication System to discourage corner-cutting and crashing in online lobbies, developer Turn 10 Studios has announced. The news was shared by Forza Motorsport 7 Creative Director Bill Giese in a behind-closed-doors session of the game attended by AR12Gaming.

When asked about how Turn 10 plans to tackle the issues that plague online play in Forza Motorsport 6, Giese said the new Adjudication System in Forza Motorsport 7 will penalize players who cut corners, crash out other players, or do something else that could potentially give you an advantage or wouldn’t be considered sportsmanship. These penalties will see the game “take you down,” Giese said, revealing that players who cheat or race unclean could face added time on to their final lap and race total, or have their result marked as ‘dirty’ in Rivals.

These penalties won’t apply to Campaign if the player desires, as Giese said racers shouldn’t have to worry about that when relaxing in the Forza Driver’s Cup – which is the Career system in Forza Motorsport 7. However, they will apply in Multiplayer, and more specifically, eSports. We didn’t see the new Adjudication System in-action, so we’re unsure of how it will work when put into action, but so far, it sounds extremely promising.

To be honest, I just had to raise my computer speaker 100% more than what I set it at usually, just to hear it.

Hmm, I find this surprising.

So it seems the only time you're going to be hearing it is when you're completely still, with nothing else around you. At this point, it kind of does seem like an odd thing to complain about and not necessarily distracting from the main game at all. Sure it is definitely an issue to you, but this is really pulling it to be honest. If anything, they should just add a volume slider for track side/ambient noises, that'll make everyone happy.

I may be pulling it but I achieve absolutely nothing by not raising a complaint myself (and others) have raised in the past. Different volume sliders to adjust sound levels would indeed be a great way to accommodate the needs of all players. I know there were more of these audio sliders in older Forza games and many people have shown great dissatisfaction over how they were reduced to almost nothing in more recent Forza games.

Getting rid of the sun glare never, ever came to mind when thinking of reasons of why I'd like to have Dynamic TOD and weather added. Either way, all it's going to do is move the glare, not get rid of it.

My problem with the sunlight glares in FM6 is not the visual effect per se. It's the fixed position of the glares making them annoyingly repetitive, much like anything else time / weather-related that isn't dynamic. Fortunately, FM7 will be a different story with more flexibility in this area.

Yes, my point was clear from the beginning. However, your failure to understand it called for additional clarification.
I understood it just fine; all your "additional clarification" hasn't changed my understanding or view point. What you have done however, is spent the last page trying to justify it by adding on to what you originally said, admitting this below when I said it would have been better to state why you have an issue with helicopters other than them being there.
I didn't think of this particular detail when I first brought it up.
I said "people" had the complaint. All things considered, why did you assume I was not one of those people? Should I have added "myself included" in order to prevent your subsequent nitpicking?
Why should I assume that?

If people say they have issues with Forza not looking realistic enough, are you to automatically assume I think that as well? Or am I just passing off a complaint of others?
Again, I fail to see the problem in elaborating something over multiple posts. Yet again, I didn't get upset that you only find it to be a "minmal nuisance". I simply took note of your opinion.
Really? Because you immediately jumped to this conclusion that I thought you were an idiot.

I think your complaint isn't worth the time of day to address over several other things, but I didn't assume you were an idiot.
I'm the one picking shots? :lol:
I've done nothing but to help you comprehend.
Consider me done with this interrogation game you're playing.
Upset? I only feel sorry for your desperate efforts to find irrelevant details in my posts and then use them against me. I'll gladly discuss any counterarguments you can make, but you seem intent on diverting attention away from the topic at hand. In my opinion a disservice to the forum.
Your replies have done little but to hold my best efforts against me.
Yes, this really helps one comprehend how petty you're starting to get.
Oh, look. Now there's a place to circle jerk against the unpopular opinion.
Oh, look. It's definitely apparent now....

Hmm, I find this surprising.
It may just be the difference between computer speakers and a TV, and now that you mention it, I have heard it faintly before, but the sound is usually, almost instantly, drowned out by.. well literally anything else. Even while roaming around taking photos for hours(and I mean hours) I still can't say I've ever outright pinpointed it out. It was just a noise in the background, to me.

I may be pulling it but I achieve absolutely nothing by not raising a complaint myself (and others) have raised in the past. Different volume sliders to adjust sound levels would indeed be a great way to accommodate the needs of all players. I know there were more of these audio sliders in older Forza games and many people have shown great dissatisfaction over how they were reduced to almost nothing in more recent games.
A simple option would suffice, but this is so relatively meaningless to the grand scheme of things that its odd that it has gotten this far as an "issue" in my opinion. Sliders would work for me, I like putting the tires as the loudest over all others just so I can connect that with the rumble feature.

My problem with the sunlight glares in FM6 is not the visual effect per se. It's the fixed position of the glares making them annoyingly repetitive, much like anything else time / weather-related that isn't dynamic and flexible in FM6. Fortunately, FM7 will be a different story.
I see, but like mentioned, it was not at the forefront of my want for those features. It actually wasn't present at all. As for those other things, I assume you're speaking of puddles? I'm thinking the only way that those will change is that they'll just expand outwards from a center point, or get smaller. They're likely to always be in the same spots, much like we'll see with heavy downpours in area's with uneven pavement.

What's the dominant sound in the first 45 seconds of this video? The car may be at idle but I'd much rather listen to that than the noisy rotor blades and race day crowds. Full throttle action may be a different story, but that's not necessarily the rule when cruising around enjoying the cars in a solo session. To that you can add the visible presence of helicopters in almost every track sector (look at 1:00 mark and under the bridge at 3:20). I don't know how many times I have seen the exact same thing. It gets tiresome just like the fixed sunlight glares. Aren't those one of the reasons why we want dynamic time and weather after all?

Sorry,but if that heli is really that much bother you,you have issues - no personal attack or anything,but it CANT bother you that much,seriously.
Unless you just trolling

So they did include a penalty system. Then what about the cheat-prevention tire barriers someone reported to be returning?

I understood it just fine; all your "additional clarification" hasn't changed my understanding or view point.

You started out by misquoting and changing the meaning of what I said.

McLaren
"It's impossible to play by myself on the track because of helicopters"

That's so far from what I said.

Why should I assume that?

Because my comment came in succession to the concerns I had just raised over the intensity of thunderstorms in the FM7 demo. I thought it was clear within the context of my criticism. Maybe it wasn't, but it should be now.

Really? Because you immediately jumped to this conclusion that I thought you were an idiot.

This was in reference to the misquote you posted to begin with. Your misquote of what I said changed the meaning into something quite idiotic. It doesn't suddenly mean I was upset.

Yes, this really helps one comprehend how petty you're starting to get.

Whatever. It seems impossible to settle this conversation in the spirit of mutual understanding.

I see, but like mentioned, it was not at the forefront of my want for those features. It actually wasn't present at all. As for those other things, I assume you're speaking of puddles? I'm thinking the only way that those will change is that they'll just expand outwards from a center point, or get smaller. They're likely to always be in the same spots, much like we'll see with heavy downpours in area's with uneven pavement.

Other things include fixed cloud positions. And yes, I do find the puddles in FM6 to be unnecessarily big, but at least placement tries to reflect how water accumulates on the real tracks.

The absolute definition of complaining for the sake of complaining. If the helicopter wasn't there, you'd be complaining about fans cheering while you're alone on the track.

It should be obvious by now that I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining. I just did point out the crowd noise as well. I'm not the first person to ever request a more immersive trackday atmosphere in racing games.

bf3
Sorry,but if that heli is really that much bother you,you have issues - no personal attack or anything,but it CANT bother you that much,seriously.
Unless you just trolling

Feel free to think I have issues because I notice things you don't. Then also allow me to say that you have issues with your writing.

In all seriousness, they really don't bother me at all. The only time I get annoyed with them is when I'm doing hotlaps and I see one flying around, I wish I could take it out somehow. :lol:

I'm nearly always driving hot laps and casual solo driving in FM6.

Regarding the penalty system, if the game can register various g-force parameters like FM6 does, there's no stopping them from being able to register impact g-forces and implement it in the game's code. Since the game can detect whether you're on the racing surface or off the track with the dirty lap indicator, wouldn't it be possible to mix both together and having the cars detect if there's a major impact from the front-half of a car on the racing surface with a moveable object like another car, and apply a time penalty or a disqualification from that?

You started out by misquoting and changing the meaning of what I said.
Yet the point was still the same; overdone presentation.
Whatever. It seems impossible to settle this conversation in the spirit of mutual understanding.
It's been a repeat, "no what I really meant" reply as the last few posts as been, that continually tries to shift blame to me even as you continually fail to grasp that your message was received loud and clear from the get go: the helicopters & presentation of the game are excessive. You can post about being misquoted all you want, as long as that's your complaint, my original view on it will always stand. It's a low priority complaint.

Since you've posted your evidence, the conversation's been settled:
Who would've thought a helicopter flying so close to the ground, would easily drown out a sports car that's sitting at ****ing idle? Mind blowing work, there.

Have a nice day.

Nielsen - no,i dont have issues with writing,im just born in NON native English speaking country.
You seems have more issues than just heli reading your answers in these 5 pages here.
Wonder why you even here,since you add nothing to this thread.
Have a nice day 2.0

@Nielsen Looks like you had better cancel your GTS pre-order if you have one ;)

35109935352_e9108ba4cd_h.jpg

What's the dominant sound in the first 45 seconds of this video? The car may be at idle but I'd much rather listen to that than the noisy rotor blades and race day crowds.

Seems accurate to me. In real life, you'd hear the helicopters and the crowd. I find it ironic that you accuse Motorsport of being too action movie-ish, yet you take it to task over it's excessive realism.

To that you can add the visible presence of helicopters in almost every track sector (look at 1:00 mark and under the bridge at 3:20). I don't know how many times I have seen the exact same thing.

Right. Go to a major motorsport event and there are never any helicopters. None.

Damn Turn 10 and their relentless realism! Can't they understand that we just want a game where the car is first and foremost, at the expense of any realistic sense of environment!

It should be obvious by now that I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining. I just did point out the crowd noise as well. I'm not the first person to ever request a more immersive trackday atmosphere in racing games.

Yeah, no. Those things you're asking for? That would require artificially making the atmosphere less realistic and immersive. It's hardly immersive when all you can hear is your own car. What is immersive, at least for the vast majority of humans, is hearing things that you would in a real environment. Crowd noise. Other vehicles. Structures. Nearby events. Atmospheric noise. And having things going on around the track, which means spectators and helicopters. You know, like a real race or track day.

You're getting confused with what you want. What you want is a less realistic track atmosphere. Which is fine, if that's what revs your engine, but it's unlikely to happen in a game that is aiming for a realistic atmosphere.

We still talking about low flying aircraft?
:D what can you do
lemme try to ..highjack the thread:

I think of the 30% gpu resources they have left, and I think of that in combination with second generation, comfortable, wireless VR gear.
and that's a place I wanna go. like within 12 months from now.

That's somewhat reassuring.

Hopefully it's in place for all Hopper races and not just limited to Leagues.

Regarding the penalty system, if the game can register various g-force parameters like FM6 does, there's no stopping them from being able to register impact g-forces and implement it in the game's code. Since the game can detect whether you're on the racing surface or off the track with the dirty lap indicator, wouldn't it be possible to mix both together and having the cars detect if there's a major impact from the front-half of a car on the racing surface with a moveable object like another car, and apply a time penalty or a disqualification from that?

I came up with an idea regarding this before, and it seems to be something that Gran Turismo Sport is doing based on footage I have seen.
  • The game keeps track of the speeds of every car at all times.
  • Each car can also "sense" when another car is within a certain radius of it (the game has Radar, proximity warnings).
  • In theory, if one car enters within the proximity zone of another car, and is travelling at a much faster speed (say, 50mph faster), it could be immediately ghosted so that it won't make contact with the other car.

The problem with automated systems assigning fault is that they're eminently abusable. For basically any system you can think of, there are situations in which it will assign fault wrongly. And once players figure that out (and it's the internet, so it'll take all of about half an hour) then people will be looking to abuse the system to their advantage. This is ignoring the fact that even for humans it can be incredibly difficult to accurately assign fault. See Formula 1, or pretty much any top tier racing series.

The only system that is guaranteed to work is the iRacing type no-fault system, where anyone involved in an incident is penalised. Because realistically, most racing incidents are at least partially both drivers fault. And with that system you incentivise all players to avoid incidents at all costs.

With a fault system you incentivise players to get into incidents as long as they're on the correct end of the judgement code. That's dangerous, because people will absolutely become good enough to do it.

@Nielsen Looks like you had better cancel your GTS pre-order if you have one ;)

35109935352_e9108ba4cd_h.jpg

I don't have a pre-order for GT Sport and I'm most likely not going to buy it. It doesn't appear to be the GT experience I used to enjoy in the past.

Seems accurate to me. In real life, you'd hear the helicopters and the crowd. I find it ironic that you accuse Motorsport of being too action movie-ish, yet you take it to task over it's excessive realism.

You would hear helicopters and crowds at race day, but not when you go to hotlap with only one car on the track. The solution for Turn 10 would be to find the middle ground where the environments would be suitable for both scenarios. The FM6 video I posted showing the lone Ferrari 458 at Laguna Seca has more stuff going on than the yearly IMSA event.

I think Assetto Corsa has found a decent way to handle this. There are no irritating helicopters and the grandstands are never overly crowded. Also, the number of trucks in the paddock reflect the number of cars on track. Its environments feel believable regardless of the situation.

Right. Go to a major motorsport event and there are never any helicopters. None.

Damn Turn 10 and their relentless realism! Can't they understand that we just want a game where the car is first and foremost, at the expense of any realistic sense of environment!

Cheeky and sarcastic again. Not impressed.

Yeah, no. Those things you're asking for? That would require artificially making the atmosphere less realistic and immersive. It's hardly immersive when all you can hear is your own car. What is immersive, at least for the vast majority of humans, is hearing things that you would in a real environment. Crowd noise. Other vehicles. Structures. Nearby events. Atmospheric noise. And having things going on around the track, which means spectators and helicopters. You know, like a real race or track day.

I'll take this as another opportunity to bring up Assetto Corsa because I like how the game handles background noise. It's a relaxing and non-intrusive sound. Before someone says that I should go and play Assetto Corsa... I already do that, but it doesn't have the amount of content keeping me interested in Forza Motorsport.

You're getting confused with what you want. What you want is a less realistic track atmosphere. Which is fine, if that's what revs your engine, but it's unlikely to happen in a game that is aiming for a realistic atmosphere.

I have no doubt what I want. The middle ground in between relaxed and over the top presentation on the tracks. I'm fully aware that many of you think it's a small concern in the broader scheme. It arguably is, but still worth a mention like any other small detail.

I think Assetto Corsa has found a decent way to handle this. There are no irritating helicopters and the grandstands are never overly crowded. Also, the number of trucks in the paddock reflect the number of cars on track. Its environments feel believable regardless of the situation.
Of which none of that is true all the time. Have you been to a race weekend? There are almost always way more trucks on hand than there are cars on the track.

Even on race day at COTA in May during the Weathertech series, they had 30 minute hot lap sessions in between races for those who paid money to do so in cars provided by the facility. A pesky helicopter even showed up half way.

Back