Forza Motorsport 7: PC performance

• Thread starter Sprocket
  • 128 comments
Denmark
Denmark
MortenCR
I Want to hear how you guys/girls are getting on with the game on PC. I'm running a 6700K @4,6ghz, 16GB Ram @2400mhz & GTX 1080TI, plus a Dell S2417DG monitor with G-Sync and 165hz.

With 2560x1440p resolution, all graphics settings at max and Framerate target set to "Unlocked", I'm getting lots of stutter.

GTX 980 4GB, i7 4770K 4.5Ghz, Z97S SLI PLUS, 16GB RAM 1866, SSD on 1920x1080, have micro stutter but can fix it by setting affinity to "real"
60 fps lock (v-sync)

Running on Ryzen 5 1600, 16gb ram 1080TI 1920x1080. Default settings, haven't noticed any issues as of yet.

Is there an easy way to show FPS for UWP games? FRAPS/Shadowplay, etc. won't show FPS for this game and I don't see an in-game one like in FH3? (Doesn't look like I have issues BTW: I7-6700HQ/16GB/GTX1070 8GB).

Is there an easy way to show FPS for UWP games? FRAPS/Shadowplay, etc. won't show FPS for this game and I don't see an in-game one like in FH3? (Doesn't look like I have issues BTW: I7-6700HQ/16GB/GTX1070 8GB).
I believe that Riva Tuner Statistics Server works in UWP games now.

Just ran a longer race on Indy and did see some stuttering a couple of times as it displayed the split time.

My system specs -

Intel core i7 6700k
NZXT Kraken X61 AIO CPU cooler
MSI Z170A Krait gaming motherboard
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz (running XMP profile)
MSI Geforce GTX 780 Twin Frozr OC graphics card with 3gb GDDR 5.

I have everything but the frame rate set to dynamic with in the in game graphical options available on the PC, game is running very smooth, graphics look better than on the xbox one for me; so not interested in messing with setting. In the Benchmark I am hitting 119fps max, with an average of 94fps, but I only have a 60hz 1080p monitor; so I am using 60FPS V-sync after that initial testing. Game seems to be running more than fine for me, least fine by the standards of a GTX 780. I will be upgrading the GPU in due time, as the 3gb of V-ram is really holding my card back in newer pc games. When I put together my system though, my priority was getting a strong CPU (hence the i7), and having a good amount of decent ram.

I should note, I have the game running from a 2tb Seagate SSHD 7200rpm drive as well, with windows 10 installed on a 120gb Samsung 850 Evo ssd.

Noticing some steering issues, seems that the steering is really tight driving the F50 but when counter steer is required an inch turns into a mile, haven't managed to catch a slide yet. Only managed to even get it to respond to counter steer input once and that required turning near full lock.
Could be that I just need to tweak some settings on the wheel but currently it is definitely not right.

Core 0 pins still, like H3 did at launch. I only get a hiccup now and then with frame rate. My biggest issue is on both H3 and FM7 seemingly shutting down my video all together.

So while I'm racing all of a sudden it will just stop as my screens go black, my main one (a tv) will say "no signal", but the pc is still very much on. Then if I move my mouse a bit, everything comes back with the game paused.

I had this happen 3 times last night, plus one crash to desktop.

EDIT: Ok, so I checked my PC settings and somehow it set itself to sleep in 10 minutes. I fixed it, but if anyone else has the issue with a Windows Store game, and not using a keyboard and mouse constantly, this is an issue. Odd how using my wheel doesn't count. Oh well. I feel better, a little because core 0 still pins and my gpu is like 50% max.

Last edited:
Intel i5 4690 @3.5ghz, Radeon R9 390, 16gb RAM.

I'm able to run everything maxed out at 1080p at a constant 60fps. I think the only time I've ever seen the FPS dip down to like 55fps was when I ran into a big tire wall.

I'm very impressed with how optimized this game is, at least compared to Horizon 3 on launch. That was rough.

Just saw some major graphical issues on Daytona after having played for a while. First I noticed that ahead in the distance I was seeing white patches where graphics weren't being drawn before coming into view. These white patches starting appearing closer to my pov as time went by then in the road ahead at its worst part of the track area ahead was white then a black section then another white section. Seemed to be getting worse the longer I drive it. After restarting the game it went back to normal. Something is going on there that needs to be looked at.

Just saw some major graphical issues on Daytona after having played for a while. First I noticed that ahead in the distance I was seeing white patches where graphics weren't being drawn before coming into view. These white patches starting appearing closer to my pov as time went by then in the road ahead at its worst part of the track area ahead was white then a black section then another white section. Seemed to be getting worse the longer I drive it. After restarting the game it went back to normal. Something is going on there that needs to be looked at.

Not to sound daft, but check your GPU temps and GPU fan speed. Those sound like graphical artefacts from an overheating GPU.

Not to sound daft, but check your GPU temps and GPU fan speed. Those sound like graphical artefacts from an overheating GPU.

It's either a GPU VRAM or a CPU being pinned at 100% issue. I had that issue when my CPU was running at 100% and couldn't make all the draw call necessary. Tha'ts when I had OBS running and streaming at the same time.

6600k @4.2, 20gb ddr4, GTX1070. While racing is smooth as glass, there is dreadful stuttering in the menus. I got two endless save loops and also at least four CTD's. Not good. It's FH3 at launch all over again.

I will start a monitor of the temp but I doubt that is the cause. I watched it carefully under Project Cars 2 and never got anywhere near being hot.

It also got progressively worse after each race. Closed the game and started it again and all was back to normal. My guess is that it is a memory management issue within the game.

6600k @4.2, 20gb ddr4, GTX1070. While racing is smooth as glass, there is dreadful stuttering in the menus. I got two endless save loops and also at least four CTD's. Not good. It's FH3 at launch all over again.

20GB of system ram is an odd amount, do you happen to have 2 8gb's and one 4gb stick in your system? If so, can you check your motherboard specs, make sure the 2 8gb sticks are in the slots that will allow them to work dual channel; and remove the 4gb one for the moment. As daft as it sounds, not running ram in dual channel mode could be the issue in your case. Especially if your Dimms are not of the same spec.

I have 2 8gb sticks of Corsair vengeance 3000MHz in my system, in dimm slot 2 and 4 for dual channel (as per MSI's information on ram installation for my Z170A Krait gaming motherboard).

I will start a monitor of the temp but I doubt that is the cause. I watched it carefully under Project Cars 2 and never got anywhere near being hot.

Aye, it never hurts as a precaution. Could also be a ultilization issue as @Symtex pointed out.

To all of you experiencing hitching/stuttering can you please try disabling Game Mode in Windows and closing down fully any overclocking, hardware monitoring, streaming, recording and any other nonessential apps and processes. We have found in our internal testing so far that this fixes the issue in a high percentage of cases.

Please note however this is only a temporary solution as the team is working right now on a more permanent fix for the root cause of this issue and we hope to update you more on this in the near future.

To all of you experiencing hitching/stuttering can you please try disabling Game Mode in Windows and closing down fully any overclocking, hardware monitoring, streaming, recording and any other nonessential apps and processes. We have found in our internal testing so far that this fixes the issue in a high percentage of cases.

Please note however this is only a temporary solution as the team is working right now on a more permanent fix for the root cause of this issue and we hope to update you more on this in the near future.

Thanks for the info Helios, nice you guys are putting info out there in regards to the technical hitches; makes a very nice change.

No problem, we've recently recruited two awesome new community liaisons who are certainly helping us to respond more quickly to community issues as well as in more places than we had previously been able to.

No problem, we've recently recruited two awesome new community liaisons who are certainly helping us to respond more quickly to community issues as well as in more places than we had previously been able to.

Thats great new, and Aaron (T10Driver on the forza forums) has been an exceptional help in regards to the force feedback; would buy him a beer if I could.

Thats great new, and Aaron (T10Driver on the forza forums) has been an exceptional help in regards to the force feedback; would buy him a beer if I could.

Yeah he's doing some great work with the community in that thread on our forums!

Any words on when we can start using MSI Afterburner or Rivatuners without crashing the game ? I would love to gather some better statistics.

CPU max overall usage during game 44%
GPU max temp during game 55c

My CPU exceeds the recommended spec and GPU meets the recommended spec

The fact that I only saw this after the game was being used for a long period of time and after multiple races on the same track combined with the fact that once the issue appeared it got worse with every race tells me that there is an issue with the way the game is handling the graphics or the way my video driver is doing so. I remember back in the day one of the NFS games would do this. It played just fine for a hour or so then track would start being replaced by grass and once it started it kept getting worse until the game was restarted.

No problems here, other than an occasional stutter. I am running a Core i7 6700k with a GTX 1080ti, Ultra Dynamic settings with a triple screen resolution of 7680 X 1440. I do not know what I am getting for FPS, but whatever it is, its buttery smooth.

2500k @ 4Ghz, 8gigs 2133 and 1060 here.

I Occasionaly notice some drops to 40-45 fps (I imagine) for 2-3 seconds which are completely random, like the game is trying to load something, but it's rare enough that it doesn't detract too much. Running ultra with 8msaa.

Edit: Had some stuttering too, disabling afterburner seems to have fixed that.

Last edited:
20GB of system ram is an odd amount, do you happen to have 2 8gb's and one 4gb stick in your system? If so, can you check your motherboard specs, make sure the 2 8gb sticks are in the slots that will allow them to work dual channel; and remove the 4gb one for the moment. As daft as it sounds, not running ram in dual channel mode could be the issue in your case. Especially if your Dimms are not of the same spec.

I have 2 8gb sticks of Corsair vengeance 3000MHz in my system, in dimm slot 2 and 4 for dual channel (as per MSI's information on ram installation for my Z170A Krait gaming motherboard).

Aye, it never hurts as a precaution. Could also be a ultilization issue as @Symtex pointed out.

Yes. It's an odd amount. I upgraded from 16gb. Added a 4gb. The technician who built my PC did the upgrade. I asked him if that would be a problem and he said he would make sure to get it working properly. He is a good friend and also owns a PC store. I will double check, just in case. Thanks for the advice. Although I do feel it is definitely the game for now. If they fixed FH3, I'm sure they will eventually patch it.

Does anyone know if you can just buy the PC version of the game? Or is it where you have to buy it digitally and stream it through your Xbox One or something? I want to play the game, but I only want the PC version.

I'm running a Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB DDR4-2133 and an MSI GTX 1070 8GB Gaming X. I don't think I should have any problems running this game.

Does anyone know if you can just buy the PC version of the game? Or is it where you have to buy it digitally and stream it through your Xbox One or something? I want to play the game, but I only want the PC version.

I'm running a Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB DDR4-2133 and an MSI GTX 1070 8GB Gaming X. I don't think I should have any problems running this game.
It's a PC and Xbox release. Buy it on the Microsoft/Windows Store and get playing, as simple as that.

Yep, just buy the digital version which is play anywhere. You can download and install that directly on your PC so long as you are running Windows 10 Creators Update edition [1703 or later]

Once you buy it you can load it on the PC, the Xbox or both. The game will play directly on the PC so XBox does not need to be connected or even have the software on it.

Back