Forza Motorsport 7: PC performance

• Thread starter Sprocket
  • 128 comments
I just had my first CTD during a race. I was on VIR Full in a GT car got a little wide and ran into the grass just before the finish line and crossed the line off track shortly afterwards I am on the desktop and had to go back and do the race again.

Finally finished downloading FM7.

My experience so far:

Controller not recognized. It's admittedly a DualShock 4 being spoofed as an Xbox controller via DS4Windows, but still it should work.
No need to spoof Windows 10 has native DS4 support. I just plug mine in and it works (still has xbox button prompt though)

Forza 7 didn't recognize mine.
I just plug mine in before or after starting it and it works perfect full travel recognised on triggers and everything.

On topic I was surprised my RX580 seemed to hold up to ultra 60FPS at 4K! Wasn't to pleased about it though(the card that is) was at 74 degrees with a 2000RPM fan and a power draw of 146 watts from the card alone. It was factory overclocked but to help it out I just bumped the power limit and current a bit higher while keeping the 1411MHz core clock. Also i did get the forza 7 optimised driver released just before release.

FFS That's another 2 crashes to desktop today. Endurance racing is impossible in this god damn game. Roll out those patches ASAP please because this one is staying in games library until then.

Well I fired the game up on the XB1, broke out my old wheel and tried the Daytona test on it. No missing textures. On the PC they first start on lap 50 and get progressively worse. I ran a 50 lap on the XB1, no flicker, no stutter, just smooth. I started another 50 just to see as sometimes on the PC you do not see it till lap 51 but 60 laps in still perfect, I went to a total of 70 before I was to bored to continue and called it quits but the test did show that the issues many of us are seeing is not happening on my XB1

Here's a video I made to illustrate the keyboard/mouse issues I described earlier (though sadly it didn't capture the mouse cursor):

Seems like key presses will sometimes register if you press another key alongside it, quite odd.

Also tried using my DS4 without spoofing it as an Xbox controller, no dice.

Had two more crashes this morning while trying to select a car from the garage.
Had two last night while racing where my whole system went down.
Not quite sure what happened there, could be the PSU overheated.

When I build the system I put a Gold 750 PSU in it but after a few days it was restarting a lot. after checking everything determined it was the PSU. I had an older 600 PSU from one of my other systems that I used in it and seemed fine. The last two evenings though I have gotten 3 restarts while racing. The first showed a blue screen event in the log, the other two show no indication as to what happened which is usually the case if the PSU drops out. It was also slow to restart but the light never went out on the MB so it was getting at least partial power so not sure at this point if it was game related or PSU.

I did play pretty much all day both days and this happened both times later in the evening like 10pm or so, it does tend to get warmer in here in the evening when playing all day due to heat from the LCDS and PCs so not sure it that is the case or not. If it happens again I will open it up and make sure there is no dust obstructing the PSU vents and/or swap out the PSU and see if that fixes it.

The whole missing textures thing is a bit annoying, more so because when I look at the official forums the only mention of this says to lower your graphics settings and of course that does absolutely nothing to curb the issue. It happens at the exact same point if I am on high, med or low settings not to mention my card is the one they recommend and my CPU is better than the recommended cpu so I would expect to be able to play in 4k with med/high settings or better. Yet even at 1080p with low/med settings it still does this. I also see it is happening to people with better GPUs and more vram and less vram as well as some who use ATI cards and happens on both Intel and AMD cpus so either it is the game or Windows that is the issue.

I have tried disabling game mode, game dvr, game bar, closing other programs, none of it seemed to make any noticeable difference at all. So on this issue I can;t think of anything else to try on my end. Well i guess I could yell at T10 ;)

I have a 7700k @ 5GHZ, 16GB DDR4 @ 4272mhz Ram, Game loaded on 2 x M.2 Samsung 960 drives in Raid0, and using an EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3 @ 2000Mhz Core and 12000mhz Vram. Latest drivers and latest windows 10. I am using a Asus PG348Q 3440x1440p 100Hz IPS ultra wide screen, and I set the game to maximum video settings and native resolution. With this ultra fast PC i am getting tons of continuous studdering and hitching, rubberband effect, and a lot in the menus and in the screen when you get rewards after a race. Also, a real big studder when racing past the finish line. Its unplayable and this is all just ridiculous. Other games i play with this machine run buttery smooth.

I have a 7700k @ 5GHZ, 16GB DDR4 @ 4272mhz Ram, Game loaded on 2 x M.2 Samsung 960 drives in Raid0, and using an EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3 @ 2000Mhz Core and 12000mhz Vram. Latest drivers and latest windows 10. I am using a Asus PG348Q 3440x1440p 100Hz IPS ultra wide screen, and I set the game to maximum video settings and native resolution. With this ultra fast PC i am getting tons of continuous studdering and hitching, rubberband effect, and a lot in the menus and in the screen when you get rewards after a race. Also, a real big studder when racing past the finish line. Its unplayable and this is all just ridiculous. Other games i play with this machine run buttery smooth.
Have you tried disabling game mode in Windows?

I'm new to PC gaming, and I am surprised how well my highly bottlenecked build is doing. I have an i5 3570k, MSI Z77 GD45 w/ 16GB of DDR3 and the graphics are handled by a EVGA 1070 SC. This was all for a 1080p build initially, but then I went crazy with the graphics card LOL.

I bought the MOBO, CPU, Boot drive, Power supply and RAM off of a friend for a steal. And I just had to get a case, fans , CPU cooler, and a graphics card to complete the build. For a first time build, I am proud, although I was nervous as heck.

Up until yesterday I ran FM7 and what the game recommended settings. Then I decided to crank everything up. Holy Crap! I see why people say PC is all that. MAN!

Start the game. Go to task manager, find Forza 7 process, Unpark Core 0, Enjoy smooth gameplay.

Just a note : you also need the lastest Nvidia driver was release 2 days ago.

Here's a video I made to illustrate the keyboard/mouse issues I described earlier (though sadly it didn't capture the mouse cursor):

Seems like key presses will sometimes register if you press another key alongside it, quite odd.

Also tried using my DS4 without spoofing it as an Xbox controller, no dice.

I'm having the same issue as you. I was able to play the game flawlessly since launch with my DS4 using InputMapper (Mouse and Keyboard was also 100% fine in the menus). Ever since yesterday I get the same issue with the lagging Mouse and Keyboard controls in the menus and now my DS4 inputs register sporadically as well. Whatever happened to that native DS4 support T10 promised? :indiff:

Oh yeah, new poster here. :cheers:

I'm having the same issue as you. I was able to play the game flawlessly since launch with my DS4 using InputMapper (Mouse and Keyboard was also 100% fine in the menus). Ever since yesterday I get the same issue with the lagging Mouse and Keyboard controls in the menus and now my DS4 inputs register sporadically as well. Whatever happened to that native DS4 support T10 promised? :indiff:

Oh yeah, new poster here. :cheers:
This is the official controller list:
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...FAQ-and-HOW-TO-REPORT-ISSUES.aspx#post_767233

However I love the statement on the FAQ: "Other USB game controllers supported by Windows may also work"
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/forza-motorsport-7-faq

I'm new to PC gaming, and I am surprised how well my highly bottlenecked build is doing.

Your build should in no way be bottlenecking, your CPU is highly capable of running the GPU you have; you have a good amount of ram. All in all, it looks as though you have a rather decent system.

Thanks Ialyrn. I am just puzzled why the benchmark crashes when I change anything from Dynamic. I take it, Turn 10's optimization is that bad.

Plus, I was looking for an update yesterday, to see if any stability has been improved, but I must be looking in the wrong places. I didn't see an update option anywhere.

This is the official controller list:
https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...FAQ-and-HOW-TO-REPORT-ISSUES.aspx#post_767233

However I love the statement on the FAQ: "Other USB game controllers supported by Windows may also work"
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/forza-motorsport-7-faq

Even though you were discussing the DS4, it isn't exactly smooth sailing with the Fanatec CSR. I had to create a custom mapping for my wheel because of the nonsensical button descriptions they used. And as of yesterday, I wasn't able to use the mouse when I brought up the XBL dash overlay (where you can record gameplay and whatnot). The wheel's D-pad will not highlight anything and even the Tab button did nothing. I could only press escape to close it. That's kind of strange, cause it was working like a charm two days ago.

Also a question about Multiplayer. Are we going head to head with Xbox One users? The reason I ask is, I jumped into a room and it was way too civil. Accidents were accidents, and generally the race was good. Maybe I got lucky?

Last edited:
Plus, I was looking for an update yesterday, to see if any stability has been improved, but I must be looking in the wrong places. I didn't see an update option anywhere.
On the PC you can get the updates by going into the Windows Store app and clicking the ... top right then downloads and updates then it should show any recent updates that have been applied. Get updates button will check for updates and download them if needed. Most likely it has already updated your game by now without you doing anything.

Might be too early to say, buy after updating to Fall Creator's Update on Windows 10 I was able to play for like 2 hours without crashing to desktop. I'm in the ones that have issues with CtD while racing.

I can't use the update yet, have to wait for the media features pack to be released. Forza won't run without it and since I am running the N version of 10 I have to install it separately

The game has a memory leak in the menus. There is nothing you can do about it, and changing your settings won't help. The game will inexorably fill up your RAM and crash.
My specs:
i7-4790k
24gb DDR3 RAM
GTX1080 Gainward GLH

The game runs on ultra 4k downscaled to 1080p at over 60fps at all times as long as my RAM isn't filled. I have 2 1080p screens although one is plugged to the motherboard to lessen the load on the GPU by having the integrated GPU taking care of the second one, and the latest Windows 10 version with the latest drivers installed.

The game is currently broken and needs to be patched ASAP. It's virtually unplayable. I've tried streaming it for 2 hours and only managed to do the 4 races of the Hot Hatch championship, because the game crashed about 10 times overall.

The game has a memory leak in the menus. There is nothing you can do about it, and changing your settings won't help. The game will inexorably fill up your RAM and crash.
My specs:
i7-4790k
24gb DDR3 RAM
GTX1080 Gainward GLH

The game runs on ultra 4k downscaled to 1080p at over 60fps at all times as long as my RAM isn't filled. I have 2 1080p screens although one is plugged to the motherboard to lessen the load on the GPU by having the integrated GPU taking care of the second one, and the latest Windows 10 version with the latest drivers installed.

The game is currently broken and needs to be patched ASAP. It's virtually unplayable. I've tried streaming it for 2 hours and only managed to do the 4 races of the Hot Hatch championship, because the game crashed about 10 times overall.

I am aware of the memory leak but I've stream for 4 hours straight last night. I only was navigating the career mode and racing. I had 0 memory leak. I maybe had 2 occasion where I had some frame drop (mostly on long beach on the same corner). Overall I had 0 crash and no one complain during the stream. It was as stable as you ever ask. Now mind you I have an AMd Threadripper 1950x and a 1080Ti. I've look at memory usage during gameplay and was the same. I never saw any abnormal increase. Is it possible that your I7 is overclock ?

It is, but even with it and Turbo disabled, the leak is still present. Racing is fine, the leak is only present in the menus, where simply browsing will add about 100mb of RAM used every few seconds. As long as you load something of course.

I haven't been playing Forza 7 that much because, I started having performance issues with the game. If I changed any of the graphics settings, I would crash to desktop within an hour. That and the wheel was still generally numb. So much to my surprise, I tried the game on Tuesday and last night, and it was... stable?

Did I miss something?

Plus the self aligning torque seems to be working better. I can release the wheel and it tracks back to center. It's a bit slow still, but far better than what I remember from two weeks ago. Also I can very faintly feel when I turned the wheel past the tires limit. It's faint, but it's there. Maybe I didn't notice this when I was all chewed up about the game's stability giving me issues.

Same here. I played it yesterday for 3 hours straight without a crash. I only got some stuttering during the post-race prize menu. That's good.

I have been getting a bit of stuttering after the patch that I didn't notice before. Its strange it just comes out of the blue from solid 60FPS, It will suddenly start stuttering with fps going between 55 and 63 FPS. To solve the problem I pause the game and unpause then its back to normal.
I also had HwInfo 64 open and it reported 5.8GB Vram usage! (had texture upscaled to 110%)

hey guys, what is the overall state of the game on PC right now? i preordered the UE and was unpleasantly surprised by how bad the game performed with all the freezes, glitches, pop ins, lower details than Forza 6 Apex etc, that i got a refund after the first major patch made the game even worse for me, but still love the amount of cars and tracks, so i definitely want to purchase it again as soon as it seems the PC version is cleaned up (maybe similar to FH3 when they fixed that strange CPU0 issue). also i found that the lighting is especially strange in this game. it looks kinda dimmed down for no reason. lights dont pop or dont light up anything although there is a light source (tunnel anyone?). playing also GT Sport and the lighting is just so much nicer, i'd love that in Forza too.
so what do you guys think?

@th3o Speaking for myself, the game now runs pretty much fine on my end. I've clocked a little over 9hours without a crash. The memory leak is gone, meaning you can roam the menus without crashing. I have only very minor stuttering issues in them, and am able to tune my car in all ways without crashing. I only ever get slight freezes (like half a second to 1 sec) in the post race prize menu, which can trigger a sound glitch: the "points-going-up" sound can loop indefinitely until you get an other progression bar filled up or (it worked in may case) going back to the main menu. I played multiplayer without a hitch for about 2-3 hours, although I dislike that you can't turn off you own mic, and considering I was on a discord discussion the whole time, I annoyed some people in the game.

I also can't seem to be able to load car tunes i've made on Horizon 3. I get a message that says I can't apply it because some parts are non-existant in the game. But that might not be a glitch. I can't tell.

So far, so good.

i7-4790k @4.4 (turbo)
gtx1080 Gainward Phoenix GLH
24gb DDR3 2133
game on SSD
Ultra 1080p (can withstand 4k DSR but i'm "limiting" to 1080p because I stream and record and don't want to overload my pc)

Decided to see how well my rig can run the game unlocked and at Ultra, I switched my graphics settings and jumped into a career race. At first I was geeking about how smooth the race countdown was. Then right after the countdown it started. The game was hitching and stuttering like hell! Well it looks like I have to leave the game at Vsync 60. It's odd though, the game was running at a great FPS, about 112, with some dips into the upper 90's. With my display limited to 75FPS max, I don't think I should have seen any hitches, but there they were. Oh well...

At least I am now confident that my rig can run the game at ultra everything, even though; I'm only running 1080P. Still, it's looking awesome.

I installed the Windows 10 Creators Update last night and the game wouldn't start. Signing out of Windows Store and Xbox and resetting the app in comtrol panel helped me get in. Still had a CTD after changing video settings mid race tho'. No stuttering so far.

Back